What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to go out to dinner with a pretty girl tonight. I had the 24 ounce Porterhouse and she had the Fillet and shrimp.

89E79BB4-8676-4836-B3C9-5C3F748F60B4.jpeg
E4A0E883-7512-4550-AF8A-648C31FD743C.jpeg
47A35B3B-E61C-4245-B5EF-C6AFE3E0E43C.jpeg
B80886BE-2809-48C7-8CE4-A28B54ADCC60.jpeg
1DA9C145-5B5F-4E8A-8C4E-D52DC1C61942.jpeg

Simple dinner tonight, but still good. Baked crusted Tipalpia fillets, sauteed mushrooms, salad. And a Carlsberg! Should have probably skipped the beer and left it for it's normal duty as my mate while BBQ'ing. But I'm liking that Carlsberg these days and cracked one open while I was smashing the fish coating. Dinner was a bit light on the green veges, but the salad counts.

Last edited:
Dinner tonight was ... nothing! I was still full from a large late lunch with the guys (huge Gyros and fries at our favorite Mediterranean place). My wife wanted sesame shrimp from the local Chinese place, so I drove over there and picked it up.

We all have to be lazy slugs at some time. Today was lazy slug day for me.

a Devon pasty.
"Pasty" has a different meaning in the States (please, let's not go into that), so I looked up the term, thinking it must be a good thing.

Imagine my shock when I saw the recipe, and found out that you chop up "Swedes" and put them in it...and cook them! So cruel and barbaric!

But, apparently a Swede is some kind of yellow turnip. Phew!! :D
What-is-swede.3.-1.jpg

For the board, here is the recipe for a Devon Pasty I found...and an image:

Devon pasty ingredients

1 x large potato
1 x large onion
Half a medium swede
500g British skirt beef
450g plain flour
225g unsalted butter
Beaten egg to glaze
Devon-pasty.jpg

Source: Coast & Country Cottages | The Devon pasty | Our comprehensive guide

"Pasty" has a different meaning in the States (please, let's not go into that), so I looked up the term, thinking it must be a good thing.

Imagine my shock when I saw the recipe, and found out that you chop up "Swedes" and put them in it...and cook them! So cruel and barbaric!

What-is-swede.3.-1.jpg

Devon pasty ingredients

1 x large potato
1 x large onion
Half a medium swede
500g British skirt beef
450g plain flour
225g unsalted butter
Beaten egg to glaze
Devon-pasty.jpg

correct and they are very tasty! a Devon (and Cornwall) favourite.

What-is-swede.3.-1.jpg

Devon pasty ingredients

1 x large potato
1 x large onion
Half a medium swede
500g British skirt beef
450g plain flour
225g unsalted butter
Beaten egg to glaze
Devon-pasty.jpg

In days of yore, chopping up those Swedes (and Norwegians) might have proven to be a job of work, lol... :oops:

I'm cooking a Viking dinner tonight, rare Angus London Broil to go on sandwiches... of course, the Vikings would NOT have cooked the meat, lol. ;)

They probably would've hacked the trimmings to death as well, but meh, not my problem... :cool:

Back to my cold beer as I wait for the beef to be not quite so bloody, lol... Cheers! 🍺

My son brought over some halibut one of his customers caught in Alaska.
I made a mayo lime marinade and coated it in panko parsley crust, grilled it outside, plus more steak, salad and olive bread for dinner, plus a local WA wine. So freaking good.

@hashbrown you and the wifey remind me of me and the hubs. The blondie with the bald dude LOL love it.

The wife and I had different dinners. Fried shrimp and a salad for me. Leftover Shepherd's Pie that I made last night for her (and a salad too).

I don't do the fried shrimp from scratch, using a real oil fryer and all that mess. I use the Costco "Panko Fried Shrimp". They are really good, and only take 7 or 8 minutes in the air fryer.

Last night I pan fried a couple burgers (big). I pulled one off early so it was very rare and saved it for tonight. I tossed it in the air fryer about 5 minutes until crispy bits started forming. It was sooo good!

The beef from my calf is extra good. I think it’s because he grew so slowly. The meat is much better than the market. The flavor and texture are very different. Already have a deal worked out with my cousin for the next one. Raise it right here in my pastures with some of his cattle.

So, I had fish breaded and ready to go and chips cut and ready when the power went out. I haven't gotten my gas stove hooked up yet so it was off to cook them on the outdoor portable burner.

Big thunder storm hit. Got everything under cover but the wind was so bad the sideways flame couldn't heat the oil properly. I finally cleared a spot in the garage to cook. It was in disarray due to a wiring project.

A 30 - 40 min cook turned into hours. After all that, the fish was horrible. I am pretty sure it was cut off an old whale someone found on the beach. I have never been able to do a taffy pull with fish before. This dinner belongs in the rant section.

I have never been able to do a taffy pull with fish before.

That sounds like the time I tried to pan fry some catfish. It turned out like a chunk of rubber. Seriously nasty.

And I like fried catfish! It's always good in restaurants. But mine was ... yeuch! I don't know what the deal was with that. I cook lots of fish and it all comes out pretty good. Except for that catfish. I have not tried cooking it again since. I just enjoy it in restaurants now.

Back