What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm baking some chicken breasts today. I think instead of marinating them I'll coat them in some seasoned bread crumbs.
And I'm in the mood for some stove top stuffing lol
I'm leaning towards green beans to go with it all

My homemade version of PHO.
This time made with pork chops, bok choy cabbage, left over potato that wasn't needed in soup earlier, broth(homemade), mushrooms 2 white button, 2 portabella, red peppers diced.
Had banana, part of orange, for dessert.
Very good.
Lunch was chili dog, corn chips , pear.
Tomorrow have no clue.

Seen the top blow completely off.
Not just the cock but the whole dang lid.
My aunt was making spaghetti sauce when the lid blew.
The lid had enough force behind it that it embedded itself in the ceiling.
Had spaghetti sauce that had to scraped off the ceiling.
My grandpa was quite upset.

Pressure cooker and canners are built with pressure safety valves. If the pressure gets to high there is a rubber plug in the lid that pops out and releases the pressure.

Pressure cooker and canners are built with pressure safety valves. If the pressure gets to high there is a rubber plug in the lid that pops out and releases the pressure.
Didn't see gasket on grandmother's pressure canner.
But it was ancient when aunt got it.
I remember it whistling when the cock popped.
Sorry it was many years ago.
My new pressure cooker/canner I like not scared of it.
It's electric, aunt's sat on stove.

Didn't see gasket on grandmother's pressure canner.
But it was ancient when aunt got it.
I remember it whistling when the cock popped.
Sorry it was many years ago.
My new pressure cooker/canner I like not scared of it.
It's electric, aunt's sat on stove.
I've seen some really old ones that only had the valve the weight sat on. If that got clogged.... Later there were more safety feature added.

Neighbor gave me some lovely turnips...so many people will not eat greens or turnips....diced them, in the crockpot with chicken stock....cooked high for several hours, then added lots of diced turnip greens, leftover hamburger/onion/garlic mix from supper last night....some diced jalapeno peppers, rotel tomatoes.....and YUMMY.....good with cornbread.....

Tonight I steamed some gulf shrimp and made fries in the air fryer. I got to break in my new bamboo basket steamer, my old one was on its last bamboo splinter. I got it in the fall of ’89. I believe I got my money out of it. ;)
You steam shrimp in a bamboo steamer? It's been a long time since I've seen one. Please tell how you use it. Do you have photo or link?

You steam shrimp in a bamboo steamer? It's been a long time since I've seen one. Please tell how you use it. Do you have photo or link?

Not rocket science… Any pot over 4 quarts your basket will sit level on… in my case a 6q pot. I add 3 pints of water, bring to boil.

I put the basket on top and wait a few more minutes until steam is leaking out everywhere.

I toss in the shrimp and steam for 4min 45sec… just when red gulf shrimp start to pop red. The size and amount of the shrimp will vary cooking time.

Pics 1&2 new basket, Pic 3 old basket… taps playing softly in the background…

Sort of funny, the reason I remember when I got my first bamboo basket… I was stuck in a hotel in Philly PA for a week. There was an advertisement for a “Hand Hammered Wok” with an 800 number, over and over again.

I was fresh out of the Navy, getting a new job which would mean an apt or house. I loved Chinese food. Even better it came with a bamboo basket for steaming.

Having spent the last 4 years on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay… I loved lots of seafood steamed.

I called the 800 number, only time in my life I ever ordered anything off the tv.

Edit... I have to add... I cooked food in that bamboo basket for 30 years... Show me a Teflon skillet that will last that long. :rolleyes:

Baboo (1)_v1.jpg
Baboo (2)_v1.jpg
Baboo (3)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
@Patchouli most bamboo baskets are 12 inches in diameter. The ones I use are 10 inches in diameter. A 10 inch works best for most regular pots folks would have in their kitchen, fits better.

If you are using a big wok a 12 inch would be fine.

I have 2 ricers, most ricers can be used for steaming. One has a glass lid so I can see when something is done, but its tiny. My big ricer doesn't have a see through lid, bad. A bamboo basket makes it easy to monitor cooking, especially shrimp, which can go from perfect to over done in a blink.

Seen the top blow completely off.
Not just the cock but the whole dang lid.
My aunt was making spaghetti sauce when the lid blew.
The lid had enough force behind it that it embedded itself in the ceiling.
Had spaghetti sauce that had to scraped off the ceiling.
My grandpa was quite upset.

The price now [ like everything else ] has almost doubled but lid won't blow with this one.
We had one of the other ones blow up like a balloon but it didn't explode thank goodness.
So we bit the bullet and bought this All American Canner for $360 about 7 years ago. It more than paid for itself first year.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VE86I3K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

41yqSAiGRnL.jpg

I'm baking some chicken breasts today. I think instead of marinating them I'll coat them in some seasoned bread crumbs.
And I'm in the mood for some stove top stuffing lol
I'm leaning towards green beans to go with it all

We are cooking chicken today too. One hen will make several meals, pot pies, stir fry and dumplings .

Latest posts

Back