What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...maybe we'll watch "The Domestics". Watched "Right at your Door" the other night. Going off the recommended movie list on the other thread. Also have, "City of Ember" to watch. The grandkids said that they read the book. Have to see what mood husband is in. He prefers super hero movies over SHTF movies. I am pretty tired of super hero movies.
Home from work...need to do the animals, hang laundry, run a few more loads. Twins are staying after school for a dance right after school, so won't be home till 5. Husband is at numerous doctor's appointments and isn't home yet either. Emptied the dehydrator of apples, and need to get carrots ready to put in. Vacuumed sealed 15 bags (1lb) of assorted beans and put them away. Attacked this morning by the insane Tom turkey (again) and just told son he needs to be butchered Sunday. He said he'd put him elsewhere and fatten him up another month. I've been raising turkeys for three years, and this is the first mean one I've had. Need a suit of armor on to go in and feed him. He needs to go in the freezer.

I've been utterly fed up with austerity food of sausages, chicken legs and tuna so I brought a extremely expensive small lamb roast.
I've just put it into the slow cooker and tonight I'll have it with roasted root veggies and a rich brown onion gravy and hot English mustard.
It's been a very long time since I spent that much money on a single joint of meat.
The good thing about the slow cooker is it'll give a lot of meat juices to make scotch broth soup with pearl barley, carrots and potatoes
along with the bone.
Left overs will be sliced very thinly and frozen to put into Greek salad wraps latter in the fortnight.
I'll be going back to what my Grand parents did in buying one large joint of meat to have on Sunday and stretching it
to last. First as a roast dinner that's very heavy on the vegetables and token amounts of meat and then further stretched
to make pots of soup and the drippings used as a flavouring to liven up bland starches.

I saw frozen bags of organic goat chunks, $11 something for a 2 lb. bag. I've never eaten goat. Can you imagine, it had a little Arabic writing on it too. Yes, I know they eat goat. I've just never seen frozen goat at the grocery.
Invited out, I think they said smoked brisket and ribs at home.

I saw frozen bags of organic goat chunks, $11 something for a 2 lb. bag. I've never eaten goat. Can you imagine, it had a little Arabic writing on it too. Yes, I know they eat goat. I've just never seen frozen goat at the grocery.
Invited out, I think they said smoked brisket and ribs at home.

We eat goat but I've never seen it in the store.

We eat goat but I've never seen it in the store.

Goat meat makes the best Rogan Josh Indian curry in the slow cooker.
Here we have ready made Indian simmer sauces that you buy at the grocery store
and it's as simple as putting the meat in the slow cooker, pouring the sauce over the
top, adding a little water to the jar and swishing it about to get every last trace of the sauce
out of the jar and tipping it in over the top.
Setting the slow cooker on slow and leaving it to do it's thing for 6 to 8 hours.
No mess, no muss, no fuss.
I serve it with rice.

@Tank-Girl & @Terri9630 thank you for cooking suggestions.
I love Indian food but haven't experimented with cooking it a lot.
Chicken vindaloo has become a favorite.
Is goat better than lamb in your experience?

@Tank-Girl & @Terri9630 thank you for cooking suggestions.
I love Indian food but haven't experimented with cooking it a lot.
Chicken vindaloo has become a favorite.
Is goat better than lamb in your experience?

I don't like lamb so, yes. Its much better.

Wife made Egg roll in a bowl tonight. It's got burger, or whatever ground meat you want, onion, garlic. Sautee it all together, add some soy sauce, then after the meat is done add a bag of cole slaw and heat it up to just soften it. Right at the end grate in some ginger and seasame suace. I found a girl on you tube making keto meals, we tried it and really like it. Quick and easy to make too.

I wasn't sure but I've decided on spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread

Thinly slice(1/2) of 3 inch potato,2 portabella mushrooms, 2 white button mushrooms thinly sliced,1 each of sweet mini bell peppers, red, yellow, orange and green.
1 slice of 1/2 inch thick hickory smoked ham sliced into julienne strips, 2 eggs on top, cooked exactly 3.5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
On top of tortilla.
Yum!
Breakfast for supper.

I making bbq chicken in the oven tonight
mac and cheese
steamed broccoli

Wife cooked chicken in the crock pot all day. Shredded it tonight with some onion and peppers. Mixed up some sour cream, spices, and green onions. Then took Tortillas and put a slice of cream cheese on it, spoon ful of the sour cream mix, and a bunch of the chicken mix, and shredded cheddar cheese. Rolled it up and put in a baking tray. After they were all rolled up, covered them with more shredded cheese and salsa and baked for about 20 minutes to get everything hot.
She calls them Angelotas. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back