What are you surviving FOR?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, Ben. Didn't know your brother died last year.
I would not say that I want to die before any family members so that I don't have to watch them die. If my job is to help the younger ones along, then so be it.
He was 2 years younger than me. He is not @Firepolice271 that works projects with me.

Ben

Last edited:
Some of my motivations to survive are simple and others are complex:

The simple ones are:
  1. I was born with a stronger will to survive than most people
  2. I enjoy the simple things - and those are out there even in the worst of times
  3. When I joined the military, an NCO told me, in a particularly painful PT session (over an obstacle course) "Winners never quit, and quitters never win....." - I sort of always knew this, but he put it into a nice clean word package for me
  4. I am curious what this severe crisis might look like, and I don't want to miss a bit of it
  5. I agree with JRR Tolkien that "There is some good in this world.....and it is worth fighting for...."
  6. There are always some good people around you, and the people that can help others, should help those good ones.
  7. I have a strong sense of duty..... and that has and will continue to make me do things all the way up to and including, those things that will cause my death.
The more abstract reasons have been written about by the people in our past that I most admire:

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

—Theodore Roosevelt
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

For Whom the Bell Tolls
by
John Donne​

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion;respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,even a stranger, when in a lonely place.Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.”

― Chief Tecumseh

Some of my motivations to survive are simple and others are complex:

The simple ones are:
  1. I was born with a stronger will to survive than most people
  2. I enjoy the simple things - and those are out there even in the worst of times
  3. When I joined the military, an NCO told me, in a particularly painful PT session (over an obstacle course) "Winners never quit, and quitters never win....." - I sort of always knew this, but he put it into a nice clean word package for me
  4. I am curious what this severe crisis might look like, and I don't want to miss a bit of it
  5. I agree with JRR Tolkien that "There is some good in this world.....and it is worth fighting for...."
  6. There are always some good people around you, and the people that can help others, should help those good ones.
  7. I have a strong sense of duty..... and that has and will continue to make me do things all the way up to and including, those things that will cause my death.
The more abstract reasons have been written about by the people in our past that I most admire:

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

—Theodore Roosevelt
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

For Whom the Bell Tolls
by
John Donne​

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion;respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,even a stranger, when in a lonely place.Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.”​

― Chief Tecumseh

Ben

I am curious what this severe crisis might look like, and I don't want to miss a bit of it

So as you can assume, I already had an answer to this question for myself, I was mainly curious what other people's was. I decided to wait until someone else posted it until I jumped in, so as not to 'taint' the results.

This is mine.

I don't know WHY, but I have a strong instinct to be the man in the arena.

You only get to be in the arena, if you are alive, you know how to play the game, and you have the equipment of the game.

It's much more than surviving for me....surviving really isn't the end goal, its the price of admission to the arena.

Family? Family dies. I am acutely aware of this. It's very hard for me. You can't keep your family alive, now, or later. The only escape from the pain of losing your family, is suicide. The easy way. If you think you will avoid watching your family die in pain and despair by prepping....you won't. I will tell you all right now. It only gets worse. No SHTF required. Your worst nightmare will come true. I see it all the time.

It's the Arena that keeps me alive.

I prep, for the scarred slope of battered hill, for the disputed barricade and the midnight in some flaming town.

I don't prep to survive, because I know that no one survives. I prep so I will be let in the door to the Arena.

I prep because I want to experience "HEAVEN". I figure that to me that is best described as "Earth" with 90% of the humans gone. (I don't blindly "Love" Humans, they are animals I tolerate).

I prep because I want to experience "HEAVEN". I figure that to me that is best described as "Earth" with 90% of the humans gone. (I don't blindly "Love" Humans, they are animals I tolerate).
I love the good humans.....and I know that my judgements are subjective and imperfect.

I see nothing wrong with wanting an isolated life. There is more than enough merit in unpopulated nature to fill anyone's life.

I have lived a survival lifestyle for 53+ years. Small one room cabins (typically 12'X 16' or 20' No running water, no indoor plumbing, wood stove. I'll guess that roughly 13 or 15'ish of those 53 years was without any electricity, often not even an outhouse.

I suspect my five decades lifestyle was "suckier" than most can Invision their post SHTF survival reality degenerating to. Now it a whole new chapter (final chapter) for me.
Oh bull! You didn't think it sucked, you were in hog heaven. You'd still be there if you weren't an old fart. Every time you talk about selling that land I want to raise my hand. You lived the dream. It might not be everyone's dream but you are far from the only one that feels that way.

Back on track. Surviving is an end in itself. Every living thing tries to survive. Have you ever seen that scrawny tree eking an existence out of the side of a cliff. How about the butterfly trying to avoid a bird until it can reproduce. Even when we have no more energy left our body tries to stay alive.

I prep and survive for:

1) The wife.
2) My sons .
3) My grandkids.

As I am the meanest person in the family and have zero empathy for my fellow man, I can make the tough decisions needed to survive in a WROL world. If at some point I become a liability to the family, I plan to take the long walk.

I have lived a long and interesting life. Many "Hold My Beer" moments and lived to laugh at them. I live a simple life now and that is enough for me. Been there and done that really does describe my life.

I prep and survive for:

1) The wife.
2) My sons .
3) My grandkids.

As I am the meanest person in the family and have zero empathy for my fellow man, I can make the tough decisions needed to survive in a WROL world. If at some point I become a liability to the family, I plan to take the long walk.

I have lived a long and interesting life. Many "Hold My Beer" moments and lived to laugh at them. I live a simple life now and that is enough for me. Been there and done that really does describe my life.
I thought I was the mean one 🤨

a) ....surviving really isn't the end goal, its the price of admission to the arena.

b) Family? Family dies. ...If you think you will avoid watching your family die in pain and despair by prepping....you won't...

c) ...Your worst nightmare will come true.

Interesting perspective... 🤔 Nonetheless..

a) Some of us view protecting (as best as-Possible, within the Reality of All our 'mortal coils'..) Family "as" that 'Arena'.. I mean, I certainly won't be over voluntarily helping out on someone Else's 'scarred slope' - while Mine burns by choice or neglect. (Unless, of course, in Doing So I will be doing what-Best Defends / Protects my Family.. Or, sure, they're already dead...)

b) Well, that's what certain Opiates are for. 🤔

c) My 'worst nightmare' is that I will die before They do - Not as much Them dying. Sure - I'll be Absolutely Gutted when that happens, but.. WHY would I be 'ok' with Them dying Before me? Well..

..Due to my Absolute Conviction that there 1) Is a Benevolent Creator - who 'allows' - but Not Causes (Very-important distinction) the horrible things we all suffer / go thru - for a Very Important / "Good" Reason (the 'issue' of Universal Sovereignty, and Our 'role' in that, as 'Free Moral Agents'... the Book of Job illuminates this 'issue' best.. But that's all another thread :) and...

2) He Can be trusted when he assures us all that the Dead 'no longer suffer' (I personally Do Not believe in 'Hell' as a place of 'Eternal Torment in Flame' - that would make the "Devil" basically an 'employee' of God - which would make Him hideously Cruel and also Evil (again, a different thread, tho..)

..And That, All those who die (whether by natural or unnatural causes) Will be resurrected into better, 'restored conditions' here on Earth.. (again - different thread..) Therefore - the 'Safest Place' for Anyone, is 'in His Memory', meantime, as There, we no longer suffer, nor Can be harmed by Any malevolents.

Thus, I don't "fear" their deaths.. Yes - I will absolutely Rue that day of Extreme Anguish, but.. I am Not 'paralysed' by that Reality, now, because of those 'core beliefs', mentioned above - Death is Already 'accepted'. But - I will Fight to my Own death, if need be, to give them The Best, Longest, and Most Pleasant 'chance' / Life, until that grievous day.

..THAT's My 'Arena'.

jd

Why?
1708797003679.png

WHY??
In a few billion years the sun will eat the earth.
I want my DNA to help build the space craft that sends Humanity into space to another plant.

Empirically, the best answer.
Me, Emperor of the known universe :). Just kidding, surviving is what we are supposed to do. Frankly, WHY is a question I can't answer. Family, community, pick your reasons. Surviving is what we do.

surviving is what we are supposed to do
Its true....but it could also be considered a side effect. There might be something else we are supposed to do....but only survivors are around to do ANYTHING...so they kinda get to write the books don't they?

My thoughts exactly, but in a much less depressing post.
In my prime, I helped hundreds of people each month...
My existence today is to only help my wife. And I don't have to do much.
If things went downhill, I would have to do more, and could.
My reason to survive is for her.
Without her, my reason to exist would vanish... and so would I :(.
I struggle with this every day. When my Husband died I broke in half and now I simply exist. Every day that I wake up is a disappointment. It takes an effort of will to remember that I still have my Daughter and while she's grown and doesn't really need me, it's my job to be there for her still. Loving her and knowing that I'll see my Beloved again some day is all that keeps me functional.
So I'm not really "planning to survive", as in planning to live through a world-wide catastrophic event. But really, I never did. To me most of what we did was simply common sense. Have enough food, fuel, and water on hand to stay comfortable if the power goes out or the weather gets too bad to drive to the store, or supply chain problems of some sort means the store runs out of stock. That's usually measured in days or weeks. When Husband and I had things really set up, we'd probably have been good for two or three months.
Until the Good Lord calls me home I'll continue with that philosophy and try to make sure I do whatever I can to not only remain independent as long as possible, but to provide for my Daughter as much as possible. That's it.
If the world blew up- atom bomb or EMP or whatever - I'd want to be one of the first to go. I'm old, I'm tired, and I miss my Husband.
"I am but a stranger here, heaven is my home."

I struggle with this every day. When my Husband died I broke in half and now I simply exist. Every day that I wake up is a disappointment. It takes an effort of will to remember that I still have my Daughter and while she's grown and doesn't really need me, it's my job to be there for her still. Loving her and knowing that I'll see my Beloved again some day is all that keeps me functional.
So I'm not really "planning to survive", as in planning to live through a world-wide catastrophic event. But really, I never did. To me most of what we did was simply common sense. Have enough food, fuel, and water on hand to stay comfortable if the power goes out or the weather gets too bad to drive to the store, or supply chain problems of some sort means the store runs out of stock. That's usually measured in days or weeks. When Husband and I had things really set up, we'd probably have been good for two or three months.
Until the Good Lord calls me home I'll continue with that philosophy and try to make sure I do whatever I can to not only remain independent as long as possible, but to provide for my Daughter as much as possible. That's it.
If the world blew up- atom bomb or EMP or whatever - I'd want to be one of the first to go. I'm old, I'm tired, and I miss my Husband.
"I am but a stranger here, heaven is my home."
I have been in that area, not exactly in your spot, but hoping for Jesus to call me home. If you ever want to talk, send me a PM.

Really, I collected all this stuff and skills to survive, so I am gonna use it. and be comfortable doing it.

It's a multifaceted answer.

First and foremost, life is the ultimate blessing and I appreciate it even if I must face a sinful world. Spending enough time out in the woods kind of breaks your conditioning when it comes to socialized standards of life. I'm really OK living in the dirt. I do not care for luxuries as most do. I LOVE being alive and I love experiencing God's creation- I will do what's in my power to stay that way as long as it doesn't force me to compromise on my faith.

Beyond that I have a family who depends on me, who I've taught to love and value living in that way. If society breaks down and we go without plumbing and wifi- thats OK. We have learned to live in such ways that we can still appreciate God's creation without the help of other men. I want my children to grow up and love God like me and my wife do, i want them to experience his creation so that by studying his masterpiece they can better understand and love him. I want my children to fully appreciate the blessing of life fundamentally, rather than conditionally based upon a socially conditioned standard of "quality of life". We don't expect that to be without risks, but we also don't evaluate those risks in a stilted comparative fashion. I choose to serve my family, and acting as the head of my family, lead them closer to God in all things. We do not love the world of men- and though we can benefit from it, our survival is not predicated upon its existence and our love of life is not derived by its ritual.

So the short answer is we choose to survive because life is a precious gift from God and we wish revel in his creation and remain above the influence of sin.
This is me 100%.

I used to be fearful of what the future held, especially during the 2008ish and beyond era. I literally cried when Obummer was supposedly re-elected. I knew from the get go that man was evil and a fraud, even though the alternative wasn't much better. That was really the time when I wanted to fill up any spare space with anything that would make my life livable into the future. I just knew we were headed for disaster. However, I really didn't think we'd be where we are today. I thought a SHTF scenario would have already played out by now. It's not all roses and unicorns today, but at least we're all here, relatively unscathed......so far.

I worry much less about my future now and don't have that huge fear that I once did. It's not that the world has gotten less frightening (quite the opposite), but it's b/c I have grown in my faith. I know God will pave my path ahead of me. No matter what I do, he will be there. No matter what happens, he will be there. Unless we're raptured, we're all going to die. That's a fact. So, I will enjoy the life he has given me today and not waste it in total fear of what tomorrow may or may not bring. That doesn't mean that I don't prepare for the future. I do and I have. I'm just not fearful of it to the extent that I once was. The Lord has given me peace and contentment. I'm so grateful for that. So, I will live as much of a Christian life that I can today while enjoying the gifts he has given me, which are many. I know where I'm going next so I only hope for a peaceful death when God calls me home.

We are dead in this world and get to live in the next 😉. That said, I was thinking more on this.
I think in part so when youngins feel defeated and are truly fighting, we can offer hope and let them know there’s a different way and we know because we lived it. Right now it’s that traditional stage. They believe the rhetoric. It won’t be until after the fall that the ones worth helping become apparent. They will need “us.”

Back