What are your go-to remedies?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skittles

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This is not medical advice, your experience may vary. I am not a medical professional.

I requested this forum as I wanted to share my go-to remedies and hear what you guys have.

A few things that I've found include the following:
Cayenne pepper- good for heart issues, blood issues, chest pain, if you're having a heart attack a tsp of cayenne will stop it.

Apple cider vinegar- good for many different things, I take it on a regular basis every few months along with lemon juice and cayenne for weight loss.

Bentonite clay- good for detoxification, losing weight, wife used it to get rid of a cyst on her wrist.

Epsom salts- good for boosting magnesium levels and relaxing plus more

Hydrogen peroxide- go-to for cuts and mouthwash, need to get some food grade for whole body cleansing

High-dose vitamin C, take it either in pill or powder form until you have the runs... for any kind of cold or viral sickness, make sure to take it the day symptoms start, if I wait 24 hours it is no where near as effective.

I'm sure I have a few more that I haven't used in awhile. Of course good organic food is the best medicine of them all.

Last edited:
I don't grow my own herbs presently. They are expensive to buy from herb shops; online distributors can be very competitive, but it is still expensive stuff.
Anyway, I have been using herbs for many years instead of the usual.
So like it says above, somewhere, maybe, this is not medical advice, your experience may vary. I am not a medical professional.
I could suggest many things, but will mostly only mention what I've used not what I've read about.
Cayenne and bayberry for menstrual troubles, heavy bleeding and cramping; taking 1-2 capsules every 4 hours of bayberry and if I could bear it, 10 tincture drops of cayenne in half a glass of water, chug it down fast.
Cayenne, they say, can help with a sudden heart problem. We use hawthorn berry syrup for heart issues, but is most effective when used on a daily basis.

When we've had what seems like the flu or a really bad virus with headache, sore throat, fever, coughing, etc., I make a big pot of herbal teas, using any of the following: red raspberry leaf, elderberry, peppermint, Throat Coat (trademark), camomile, marshmallow, mullein, pleurisy root, slippery elm bark, red clover. Add fresh squeezed lemons and honey. Drink as often as possible when sick. (And don't use dairy products when sick, just sayin').
Once you have those herbs on hand you can use them for other things.
Red clover is a good blood cleanser.
Slippery elm, pleurisy root, marshmallow, and mullein are good for bronchial and breathing issues.
Elderberry is good for treating fevers.
Red raspberry is a great female herb but also tastes like regular tea.

Scoff if they will, let them scoff, when suffering from achy legs or inability to sleep, I've used horsetail grass tea and oatstraw tea, mixed with a couple of other teas for flavor. The horsetail grass has silica in it which the body converts to calcium. :coffee:

I've used a combination of herbs in capsule for overall health...it takes a while. These mixed together: dandelion, kelp, alfalfa. If you have a thyroid problem, please consult a physician before using kelp. If you have a liver problem, take it easy on the dandelion; it could cleanse you too quickly. If you're taking blood thinners, stay away from alfalfa.
A lot of people are getting hyped up about essential oils. They've been around for a while so I'm not impressed anymore. :)
I use them in a diffuser for the flu-type illnesses and they work quite well. Rosemary, geranium, peppermint, and I forget the other one I've used.:cool:

Fire Cider (off of pinterest) and elderberry syrup for coughs fortified with brandy! I put peroxide in my ears and lay down until it quits fizzing (one side at a time, lol), also use it to gargle with if my throat starts feeling iffy.

Peroxide also totally cures gum disease. It doesn't have to be food grade for that since it is not ingested.

Skit I like all the remedies you posted.

We also drink organic orange and apple cider juice for colds and flus. Not sure what it is but chicken noodle soup helps too.

This is not medical advice, your experience may vary. I am not a medical professional.

I requested this forum as I wanted to share my go-to remedies and hear what you guys have.

A few things that I've found include the following:
Cayenne pepper- good for heart issues, blood issues, chest pain, if you're having a heart attack a tsp of cayenne will stop it.

Apple cider vinegar- good for many different things, I take it on a regular basis every few months along with lemon juice and cayenne for weight loss.

Bentonite clay- good for detoxification, losing weight, wife used it to get rid of a cyst on her wrist.

Epsom salts- good for boosting magnesium levels and relaxing plus more

Hydrogen peroxide- go-to for cuts and mouthwash, need to get some food grade for whole body cleansing

High-dose vitamin C, take it either in pill or powder form until you have the runs... for any kind of cold or viral sickness, make sure to take it the day symptoms start, if I wait 24 hours it is no where near as effective.

I'm sure I have a few more that I haven't used in awhile. Of course good organic food is the best medicine of them all.

Epsom Salts, How do you get the taste out of your mouth when you take this stuff? I tried everything from baking soda to olives and vinegar.

I forgot about this other mix of herbs we've used for aches and pains.
The Dr. Christopher people have called it Bone, Flesh & Cartilage. Their formula has changed over the years. I can't call it that specifically because sometimes I might only have single cut or powdered herbs on hand and not necessarily all that go into BF&C.
NH and I have both had problems with tendonitis and bursitis. At times when I have worked with my hands too much , my index finger may swell a bit and I also can't bend it completely.
If I get these dried herbs together, boil them up, let stand, then immerse hand (or in some cases my foot) into a pot with the herbal waters, within 20 minutes I have relief. I keep up with doing it two or three times a day, if needed, and give my hands (or foot) a rest and it heals up quickly if not right away.

One time my foot was hurting me bad enough I couldn't walk on it for a few hours. I don't know why it was hurting. Ankle, side of foot and arch, so NH got the herbs together, boiled the water, placed herbs in water, let it steep a bit, then I put my foot in it. We had somewhere we needed to go that evening and after my foot soaking I was able to put on my shoes and go out without another complaint, pain-free. It hasn't bothered me since.
The herbs were, as far as I can remember, white oak bark, slippery elm powder, black walnut powder, comfrey, gravel root, skullcap, and I'm sure there were a few others, but this is a good basic formula that has worked even with just white oak and black walnut.
My path into herbalism happened because I was sick of dealing with pharmaceuticals, expense of medical professionals, length of time for healing, and no guarantees.
Herbs are used by the body as needed. What isn't needed isn't necessarily stored in the body, it is expelled. If it is needed, it is absorbed and assimilated. Some herbs complement one another and help one another work better.

@Meerkat

I don't take epsom salts internally. Walmart sells a magnesium citrate liquid meant for constitipation that I take internally occasionally and occasionally I'll just use milk of mag.

The magnesium citrate is a lot cheaper than the "calm" stuff which is a powder. I get the magnesium citrate for a buck a bottle and only drink a couple tablespoons instead of the whole bottle just for the magnesium. I prefer the lemon flavor I think, haven't taken it for awhile.

For most of my pain I use a hot (110F+) bath. get into it at 105F and increase it to 110F. Soak for two or three hours and then shower and I am good to go. If I don't have time for a hot soak then I can use white willow tea or aspirin if I am in a hurry.

I do not have a lot of natural health remedies to offer, but I do keep a bottle of E&J brandy in the house for the cough & cold medicine recipe that my Mom used when I was young. Hot water, brandy, pure unprocessed honey and some fresh squeezed lemon juice. Might not be revolutionary, but it still works. She would also push foods high in Vitamin C and Zinc when we had colds.

To cool and take the pain out of sunburns we have always used Albolene. It's actually a makeup remover.....go figure. You can feel the burn being pulled from the skin as soon as you put it on. It's awesome stuff! I keep a jar in the camper and have used it many times. This stuff works better than aloe or any burn remedy I have ever tried on the market.

I have found it at WM for about $8 for a 12 oz container. Some WM's don't carry it though. I actually have several containers of it stocked......just in case they quit making it. It seems that always happens when I find a product I absolutely love.

Don't overlook simple salt. A gargle with salt water helps with a sore throat, cankers, sore gums if you over-floss and any type of cut in your mouth.
I use a nettie pot with saline year round to help with allergies and prevent sinus infections. At the first sniffle or after being exposed to a sick person a saline flush with the nettie pot will help prevent or minimize a cold. Saline eyewash is great for rinsing the eyes after a dusty day on the job or if you've bee in the yard all day during allergy season. It removes the junk that makes us rub our eyes and irritating or scratching them. Washing out minor lacerations with saline speeds healing as does a dip in the ocean. Soaking your feet or nethers in the ocean or saline helps prevent fungal issues.

To cool and take the pain out of sunburns we have always used Albolene. It's actually a makeup remover.....go figure. You can feel the burn being pulled from the skin as soon as you put it on. It's awesome stuff! I keep a jar in the camper and have used it many times. This stuff works better than aloe or any burn remedy I have ever tried on the market.

I have found it at WM for about $8 for a 12 oz container. Some WM's don't carry it though. I actually have several containers of it stocked......just in case they quit making it. It seems that always happens when I find a product I absolutely love.

For sun burns vinegar works very well. Stops the burn right away. Very inexpensive and easy to find, only problem is you smell like a salad. :LOL:

For bloody nose or other bleeding that you want to stop, we've used cayenne tincture. Or, you can take 1/4 tsp powdered cayenne, mix it in half a cup of tepid or warm water and chug it down. (That's if you're in a big hurry to stop the bleeding. Otherwise you can add some molasses or honey and more water or tea). We've used this many times when the kids had bloody noses. They know it works or they would have refused it after the first time. It's fist-pounding-on-the-table HOT.

Epsom Salts, How do you get the taste out of your mouth when you take this stuff? I tried everything from baking soda to olives and vinegar.
I don't think it is supposed to be taken by mouth. I have always known it to be used in baths, foot soaking, soaking other types of wounds, as well as in the garden.

I don't think it is supposed to be taken by mouth. I have always known it to be used in baths, foot soaking, soaking other types of wounds, as well as in the garden.

Oh yes it is also considered a laxative and internal cleanser.:fun fun:. When I was young parents were obcessed with our bowels back in those days.
If you had a headache, toe smashed, etc, the remedy was always a " good dose of salts " or just as bad " castor oil". :cry::eyeballs::huh:. So you tried to keep your illnesses to yourself.

Mama would send us to the corner drug store where the sadistic pharmacist and fountain worker would put castor oil over a perfectly good glass of cherry coke or lime soda.:mad:. Then stand back and watch you try to drink it and laugh.:mad:. Still better than mama giving it to us because at least some of that sickening brew stuck to the shaved ice, where in a spoon from mama you didn't miss a drop.

Last edited:

I do Hulda Clark's Liver Cleanse about once a year to get rid of gallstones. Epsom salts are part of the pre and post cleanse. Google Hulda Clark liver cleanse for more info. I have used it a couple of times when my gall bladder started hurting. Stones all gone within 24 hours or so.

Oh yes it is also considered a laxative and internal cleanser.:fun fun:. When I was young parents were obcessed with our bowels back in those days.
If you had a headache, toe smashed, etc, the remedy was always a " good dose of salts " or just as bad " castor oil". :cry::eyeballs::huh:. So you tried to keep your illnesses to yourself.

Mama would send us to the corner drug store where the sadistic pharmacist and fountain worker would put castor ove a perfectly good glass of cherry coke or lime soda.:mad:. Then stand back and watch you try to drink it and laugh.:mad:. Still better than mama giving it to us because at least some of that sickening brew stuck to the shaved ice, where in a spoon from mama you didn't miss a drop.
Hideous. I see only one person so far has liked this in 12 hours. ha. ha. ha. My mama suggested it but I never got it.

hi yall.
some of my favorties is using ACV in water bottle with a drop or 2 of stevia and drink it al day long. using MSM powder, 1T a day in water bottle helps with aches and pains. i usually mix both .

magnesium flakes mixed in water 50/50 and then sprayed on and rubbed in helps alot with sore muscles. plus the extra magnesium helps with sleep. it is greasy feeling at first but soaks in. many people will spray it on about 30 min before a shower.

an equal mix of feverfew, lemon balm and peppermint is a really good headache relief. i make a tincture out of that.

colloidal silver in just about anything
lyposomal Vit C gives you mega does of vit c with no stomach reaction

elderberry syrup or tincture to stop colds and flus in their tracks

hops tincture or tea before bed for better sleep. very easy to grow, it is a vine and will grow about anywhere.

calandula flower heads steeped in oil for 30 days is a great one for healing skin problems. can add in a 540/.50 blend with comfrey for speeding up healing including sprains and broken bones., remarkable actually.

arnica flower heads oil makes a great rub in pain relief

and of course all the cannabis medical recipes. i will post a thread and bring over all the good stuff for people to look at and make their own stuff. learn while you can.

i have a blog on medical cannabis , all of it i have collected for people to check out. i will keep adding more recipes and info as long as i can.

God bless yall
jazzy

Elderberry extract for anything respiratory, it will knock it right out.
Love it. A local Organic Homestead shop, makes it fresh with Flowers, Local Raw Honey and Echinacea. I have 2 Teaspoonful a day as a preventative. Every 2-4 hrs if I get sick. I work in the Desert, far from Civilization. Everything gets airborne. I stir up a lot of Dust. The Fine Dirt contains all manner of Fungus, this seems to keep sinus problems in check.

I grow elderberry just to make my cold and flu tincture.

I use my homemade a comfrey salve for cuts.

Cayenne pepper infused in grape seed oil for a topical aches and pain relief.

Tea tree oil for any skin infections.

Valarian root tinture to sleep.

Calendula, marshmallow root infused oil to make my skin cream.

Homemade apple cider vinegar for humans and animals.

Dandelion salve for dry skin, aching joints.

Less than a dropper. When my ear starts hurting I let it fizz until it stops. Don't end up getting sick. This is usually only one symptom, may include congestion, coughing, fatigue...
Okay, thanks! I wasn't sure if it was for cleaning wax or something like that, or for congestion and drainage, or something else. Good to know!

Latest posts

Back