What Has Everyone Been Planting Today ?.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DH planted 50 more saved broad bean seeds saving another $3.10 on seeds in the gardens today as he ran out of them on the second patch so I delisted the last 50 I had. I dug up 3 more beetroot seedlings that came up in the nursery bed and transplanted them in the garlic patch. Finally we have had 1.8mm of rain tonight and hoping we have about 10 or more mm after this as we really need that for the dry ground and to fill the rain water tanks.

Got the Aspargus planted in the whiskey barrel.
Haven't found any green beans up yet.
So will put something else there.
Got 3 of the 9 tomato plants planted trellis hung up around them.
Haven't got the other 6 tomato plants yet.
Need to get metal stock tank for sweet potatoes plants,they were given to me. Got 6.
Got to get some basil in between tomato plants also some garlic.
Picked from salad garden whiskey barrel today for lunch.
In a few days will have more lettuces got 9 kinds planted in there along with Rainbow Swiss Chard, Kale, Spinach.
Strawberry jar has Estelle's garden coming up, seems like it's micro greens, marigolds,crocus mainly for color not to eat.
Bell pepper is planted in metal wash tub on stand, so is Jalepeno's,Ghost,mini sweet peppers took seed out peppers as I used them last year and saved them.
Herbs got planted today were:
English Lavender,some more Ciltrantro,Lemon Basil,Lemon Thyme, German Thyme.
Still need to plant the coal bucket,window box, and five to ten flower pots.
If next babysitting payday is enough will get stock tank for sweet potatoes, red potatoes,squash.
Getting tired, need to eat,then will be ready to relax a bit.
Everybody have blessed day.
Peace out.

@Sewingcreations15 : Sometimes I think it is too shady in our yard. Today it was in the 90s and I wasn't ready for those temps so early in May.
Last year I had a big zucchini plant growing and it kept putting out flowers, but something was eating the flowers! NH built a cage for the plant but that was a fail as well.
This year I may end up pollinating zucchini by hand, if I can keep animals out of it. I read about it, it's a thing. NH suggested maybe it needed another zucchini plant for pollination. I don't recall seeing any bees except for all the dead or nearly dead ones on the driveway and yard a few different times. :(
Honestly, we live IN TOWN, surrounded by other small lots, most with privacy-fenced backyards. We've seen possums, rats, cats (not feral), owls (which is good), squirrels, there are probably raccoons too, in the yard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_opossum I like possums, but they are so weird, America's little marsupial. We've seen skunks in the neighborhood too.

I don't want to put too much money into setting things up since this is not our forever home. There is an automatic watering system set up in one area of the yard, but that seems to be the darkest area of the yard. Does that matter?
Gardens are looking good! Thanks for sharing your photos!

@Patchouli you need around 6 - 8 hours of sunlight for most vegetables to grow so if the shaded area doesn't get that then pick another area to plant or trim plants to get more light if you can. Look into drip irrigation hose 2lts per hour as it isn't very expensive ( at least here) and you like us can take it with you. Also look at a collapsible rain tank for portable water you can use rather than using town water if you are allowed to have them in your area. If your garden is close you can gravity feed from your tank to water the gardens.

I'm going through and sorting out my old seeds and I'm sprinkling them on a moist paper towel and putting it in a ziplock bag to see if they germinate.

I'm fed up with wasting seedling flat space and potting soil on seeds that don't germinate.
If they do germinate I'll transfer them into flats with tweezers and the question will be settled.

I replanted my kale for the third time.
I planted two sorts of winter spinach.

I'm doing my germination tests with red kale, black kale, Siberian kale, broccoli, and capsicum.

I'm still waiting on my KY1 tomato seeds to be delivered by the postie and I have the flat filled with potting soil and moistened down already.

Got all the herbs potted up on the back deck. Have the large containers ready for the peppers, zucchini and cukes which I'll plant today. Next up is the big bed for the tomatoes and melons
It was only 68 this morning but that sun is intense. geesh lol the temp popped up fast once the sun was up because it was only 46 when I got up at dawn
The apple and cherry trees are almost finished blooming. Last year the weather was so wonky that it got hot early trees started blooming and then a bad frost/freeze hit. Lots of people's home orchards got hit and the commercial ones here had to bring in helicopters and run their smoke and dragon heaters ( what they called them might be a name brand don't know) which meant that the prices went up. I'm waiting to see if the prices come down this year, but I doubt it.

Got some action with cucumber seeds I planted. They're sprouting out of the (edited!) *little plastic mushroom container.
Will try to baby everything along, pay more attention to it, protect it, like a snowflake. Lol
Just planted zucchini seeds and calendula. Planted a lettuce blend 5 days ago too. Older seeds, but not caring.
Need to work on soil. Not sure I want garden soil up against wooden privacy fence.

Last edited:
I'll be mostly planting flowers this weekend. I di get Strawberry plants which i am going to do in a Bed to themselves. As usual i went crazy...75 plants..... Flowers have really started coming in now and i have Butterfly hybrid Coneflower mixture, Bee Balm Mixture, Bee Balm Collection, Deluxe Dutch Glads, Glamini Glads Mixture, Kaleidoscope Dahlia Collection, Sugar Baby Carpet Border Lilly's, A Blackfield's Magic Reblooming Daylily , Raving Beauty Phlox, Fat Domino Mountain Fleece and Catmint Walker's Low.....I'm gonna be a Busy Little Beaver......:gardening::gardening::gardening::gardening:

A little sprout of a tomato plant (Brandywine) poked its little head out of the soil this evening. YAY. I have never grown the Brandywine, @timmie
I have grown this kind, they were wonderful and had a smoky flavor...Red Siberian. Highly recommended for cooler temps and shorter seasons. I wasn't sure I'd like it because tomatoes shouldn't taste smoky.

@Tank-Girl we have also been having a lot of trouble trying to sprout vegetable seeds at the moment I am sure it is weather related as we have had such little rain.

Sounds like everyone is in full swing with their gardens, how wonderful :) .

@Dutchs that is a lot of strawberry plants as they recommend around 20 plants to feed a family but I am sure you will be able to freeze them and make jams and things and they won't go to waste. Sell some if you get too many too.

Finished the raised beds this morning ahead of a rain storm. Now I just have a couple of window boxes to plant ( more basil and some lettuces)
Photos of your raised beds? Maybe when things start sprouting up.
My tomato sprouts, 3, are up. Cucumber sprouts, 5. Waiting for flowers, zucchini, lettuce.
It has been HOT here this week. Sick of summer already. High 80s.

Cucumbers came up, about 3 inches, today can't find them at all.
Got one lone eggplant left, that I could find with glasses on.
Everything is so dry here.
Stuck hand held spade into bed usually comes back up damp, dry as a bone today.
So will be doing a lot of watering by hand today, tomorrow and here on out.
Planting a fairy garden for Estelle to mess with in her Strawberry Jar.
Dutch, eat a strawberry for me, can't have them allegric to them.
Suppose to get 85* here today already 67* was 57* when I left the house this morning at 0430 hours.

Got three cherry tomato plants in the new bed. Don’t know how they will turn out though. We bought several varieties last year, one was fantastic so I saved some seeds. They germinated fine but some were malformed leading me to believe they were hybrids so no idea what the fruit will be like. Out of 30 germinated/planted seeds, I got 12 plants to 10” tall that look alright. The remaining plants will be set on the curb with a free sign. If that doesn’t work, I’ll put $5 each.

Two Squash (one green one yellow) going in also and I will put carrot seeds around the tomatoes.

Purchased some red Geraniums and Marigolds to keep the lady of the house happy with the new bed. Why buy Marigolds? It seems my seed planting takes too long for them to look like store bought plants. Instant gratification is preferred. I seeded around my other plot, behind chicken wire, and the Marigolds are about 2” tall, not acceptable as they do not have flowers yet! LOL Next year I will have to start a few flats when I start the tomatoes.

Cucumbers came up, about 3 inches, today can't find them at all.
Got one lone eggplant left, that I could find with glasses on.
Everything is so dry here.
Stuck hand held spade into bed usually comes back up damp, dry as a bone today.
So will be doing a lot of watering by hand today, tomorrow and here on out.
Planting a fairy garden for Estelle to mess with in her Strawberry Jar.
Dutch, eat a strawberry for me, can't have them allegric to them.
Suppose to get 85* here today already 67* was 57* when I left the house this morning at 0430 hours.
Will do. With the ones I have in the ground( 50) and the other 75 I think i may have gone a little overboard. I guess they come back year after year if you leave them though so i will give them there own space....And I can and will eat a BUNCH of them for you. So sorry you can't eat such a fabulous food!!

Planted 12 tomato, some celery, three types of squash and two types of cucumber. Green beans are up, lettuces and spinach are up. Replanted my herb garden for the third time. Bought a real pretty raised to my hip level planter from Sams. Well, two days ago, the leg broke and crashed to the ground. Son helped me take off the legs, and just use the planter. Dog dug out the plants. So....the plants have been salvaged for the third time and replanted in the planter on the ground and it has chicken wire all around it. I come home every day expecting something new.

I planted more broad beans, more red russian kale, two types of spinach and FINALLY my KY1 and Cali Red capsicum seeds turned up so I got the tomato seeds planted
and the capsicum seeds on moist paper towel in a cliplock bag waiting to sprout and plant out. I'll keep them on a sunny window sill so the cliplock bag acts as a mini green house. Chili and capsicum can't get enough heat so that's what they'll get.

Will do. With the ones I have in the ground( 50) and the other 75 I think i may have gone a little overboard. I guess they come back year after year if you leave them though so i will give them there own space....And I can and will eat a BUNCH of them for you. So sorry you can't eat such a fabulous food!!
I think maybe i have gone stone cold crazy......I was getting all my delivered plants,flowers and veggies together to go with me tomorrow afternoon to the farm. I was making sure everything is still well bagged and under control. All of my stuff is delivered to my house then I take them to the farm and sometimes it's a week between delivery and getting to plant. Wellllllllllllllll........ I was checking the strawberries and it turns out I have 120 ! Plants not 75......OMG!!!! I'm gonna have to make more room and I will be planting this weekend until my fat little fingers fall off!!

Just finished the last 2 window boxes. One is basil and the other is Black Simpson lettuce ( an heirloom type)
Glad thats all done. Now just the maintenance all summer lol

I planted 3 cherry tomato plants this year because I want to pickle some for salads so i hope they do well

Tomorrow is supposed to be near 90 so I'll be making some suntea and charging my solar watch

I told the hubby yesterday that we'll be having lots of zucchini and cucumbers to eat since they're both low carb. he made this face like a little one just eating their first lemon lol it was funny. asked why we couldn't have potato fries and cakes instead lol
I don't get why people don't like zucchini. It really has no flavor and takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with. I make fries out of it and make sure to flavor the breading really well and they taste great. I do the same with the zucchini cakes. And I shred it into cole slaw

Planted more lemon and lime basil in hydroponic grow cubes.
I'll see if I get better germination starting them this way then starting them in potting sol in flats.

I discovered that I can pickle Green Gem cucumbers so I planted some of those.
I rather have one cucumber that is good for slicing and for pickles rather than have to grow a variety for each.

My saved trombonio zucchini seeds are jumping out of the soil. My black beauty zucchini ...meh...nothing yet.

I have to get the rake and flatten out the spot I'll be planting the broad beans. It's sheltered and gets the first sun in the back yard so hopefully they'll
be happy and I actually like what they produce. I've never eaten broad beans before so it'll suck if I hate them after going to all this effort to grow them.
The chickens will eat them if I don't.

Prepared for tomorrow! Mystery day Dahlia, duet Dahlia, Seattle Dahlia, procyon dahlDa, Jean Marie Dahlia, fat Domino's mountain fleece, sugar baby carpet dorder Lily , mohawk bee balm ,prairie night bee balm, snow white bee balm, bautyb of Cobham bee balm, garden view Scarlet bee balm, catmint walkers low, longfields black magic day Lily, bee balm mixture 10 plants, butterfly hybrids coneflower 15 plants, raving beauty phlox, 120 gurney Whopper strawberry! Busy weekend!
IMG_20180511_214810.jpg
IMG_20180511_214756.jpg

Prepared for tomorrow! Mystery day Dahlia, duet Dahlia, Seattle Dahlia, procyon dahlDa, Jean Marie Dahlia, fat Domino's mountain fleece, sugar baby carpet dorder Lily , mohawk bee balm ,prairie night bee balm, snow white bee balm, bautyb of Cobham bee balm, garden view Scarlet bee balm, catmint walkers low, longfields black magic day Lily, bee balm mixture 10 plants, butterfly hybrids coneflower 15 plants, raving beauty phlox, 120 gurney Whopper strawberry! Busy weekend! View attachment 6849 View attachment 6850

They are going to look stunning once they're established and all the hard work planting and caring for them will be repaid a thousand fold with all the bees, pollinators and beauty they provide.

They are going to look stunning once they're established and all the hard work planting and caring for them will be repaid a thousand fold with all the bees, pollinators and beauty they provide.
Thank yo so much for the encouragement TG! With the exception of my awesome son this is the most satisfying, gratifying thing I have ever done. Honestly, this excites me so much I only sleep a few hours a night planning and hoping!

Latest posts

Back