What Has Everyone Been Planting Today ?.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post reminds me of a story about when the Pilgrims came to America from England. The Indians taught them to bury a fish and plant corn, beans, and squash above it. The corn would go for the sun, the beans would climb the corn, the squash would cover the ground, and the fish would feed it all. Three crops with one ground prep.

You can confirm this with Weedy, I think she was there. :huggs:

I bury fish and the grizzly bits that I don't eat from butchered chickens under my pumkins and fruit trees.
Works like a charm.
Natural blood and bone can't be beaten.

Not so much what I planted but what seeds I brought to plant when the weather cools off.

Short kodoa carrots, broad beans, swiss chard, broccoli, soap wort, black mint, miners lettuce, giant english spinach, corn salad.

The miners lettuce, corn salad and miners lettuce are cold tolerant and in some cases frost tolerant esp. the miners lettuce.
I'm getting geared up for our growing season which is the dry season/winter.
I've been looking at the bitter winters in the northern hem. and I expect that pattern to repeat here in the southern hem, even this far north.
Hence, my focus on cold hardy crops.
It's a huge learning curve.
I've never grown potatoes, ball cabbage, broccoli, english spinach, miners lettuce, broad beans or con salad before so I've been watching
YT videos like crazy to learn the tricks of the trade.
I need to get a soil testing kit so I know what PH I'm dealing with.
I've got the chickens working over my beds so I'm praying they'll take care of my cut worm issues without resorting to mechanical barriers
like I did this season.

today is flowers. i have some iris's, elephant ears, mexican sunflowers, some mums that are ready to go in a permanent home. also have some strawberries that i'm going to put in some pots since we have not set aside a place for them yet. onions and maybe a few red taters, along with some odds and ends of some old seed.
SEEMS SPRINGTIME HAS ARRIVED AT OUR HOUSE.:D

today is flowers. i have some iris's, elephant ears, mexican sunflowers, some mums that are ready to go in a permanent home. also have some strawberries that i'm going to put in some pots since we have not set aside a place for them yet. onions and maybe a few red taters, along with some odds and ends of some old seed.
SEEMS SPRINGTIME HAS ARRIVED AT OUR HOUSE.:D

Be careful ! It is a trick! You go to stores and see all those beautiful plants and flowers and get spring fever. when it is really winter.
We learned our lesson, finally about planting in a fake spring. Next thing you know we had a hard freeze and out there covering up plants and transplants with everything from a sheet, blanket,bucket to a garbage can.
We now don't do much till after April 15th. Except greenhouse of course. Got our first tomato from there this morning.

Hello everyone and hope you have all had a great day :).

Today we started off the day with DH washing the dishes and cleaning the benches and I dried them and put them away. DH then went and watered part of the back yard with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine. We then packaged up some broad bean seeds I sold on the internet and posted them. Back home again where we trench composted some kitchen scraps into one of the empty vegetable garden beds.

Currently making out our shopping list for our 6 weekly shop and we have decided to only buy a carton of something when we use it from our stockpile we already have so tomorrows shopping should be minimal spend.

Tea tonight was a beef mince stir fry with homegrown turnips, sweet potatoes and broad beans from the gardens.

So since i have bought and am planting some Herbs, I've got Fruit and Nut trees, Perrenials, tress for Color and Trees for function...I decided I would do an easy garden. I am only at my farm on the weekends right now so i am going to give it a try with Veggies that can Withstand some dryness if something goes wrong and i can't get there in the same timely fashion I usually do. And things that HOPEFULLY...I say that with a grain of salt because i have NO idea what will or won't eat these vegetables, The animals won't destroy them.....Here is what i am going with , What a ya think?
4896.jpg

AsparaBest® Asparagus - Medium Grade4896

This item ships in Spring

09491.jpg

California White Garlic09491

77034.jpg

Evergreen White Bunching Onion77034

This item ships in both Spring & Fall

16645.jpg

Purple Top White Globe Turnip - Seed Tape (15')16645

73452.jpg

Red Titan Hybrid Beet - Seed Tape (15')73452

02187.jpg

TX 1015-Y Supersweet Onion02187

White Icicle Radishes
85087.jpg

@Dutchs beets like a lot of water so maybe put some soda bottles filled with water with holes in caps next to them if you are only there once a week, this will water them, bunching onions will tolerate dry as well as garlic to a certain extent. Not sure on the turnips as never grey them or asparagus.

Check on the watering requirements of all the plants at www.gardenate.com . Just put in your climate zone and location and it will tell you all you need to know on all plants if you click on the vegetables in blue.

Good on you for starting your own garden as it saves a heap on the grocery bill and there is nothing like picking things fresh from the gardens to eat :D . We have around 180 square metres of vegetable, herb and berry plants here and have potted lemon and mandarin trees growing on the back deck.

Very
@Dutchs beets like a lot of water so maybe put some soda bottles filled with water with holes in caps next to them if you are only there once a week, this will water them, bunching onions will tolerate dry as well as garlic to a certain extent. Not sure on the turnips as never grey them or asparagus.

Check on the watering requirements of all the plants at www.gardenate.com . Just put in your climate zone and location and it will tell you all you need to know on all plants if you click on the vegetables in blue.

Good on you for starting your own garden as it saves a heap on the grocery bill and there is nothing like picking things fresh from the gardens to eat :D . We have around 180 square metres of vegetable, herb and berry plants here and have potted lemon and mandarin trees growing on the back deck.
Very Cool @Sewingcreations15 ... I am Soooo Excited to really get going in a good way. Been working on the Nut and Fruit trees for a year now and seem to be having success. I have a Dozen Elderberry plants that produced last season and i froze a bunch of berries. They are Looking awesome this year already as well. you might have seen i am retiring in 3 1/2 years and I'm getting the place ready for being there full time and am getting good stuff off of the land ahead of time as well. I really love it. Thank you so much for the website. That's VERY helpful information. I'm not living there but I'm hoping I can get there every 3-5 days so I think i should be alright. I'm going to go with Drip irrigation once I get things where i want them. Thanks again!

@Dutchs most welcome on the info and the website as it is the one we plant by here in Australia. It helps you plan ahead for the coming planting seasons too if you click on the following months and gives you a planting, plant care and soil preferences too.

We run with a 2lt per hour drip irrigation system here gravity fed by mains town water pressure and have set up all our systems with turn off inline taps to each bed and an irrigation framework for the drip irrigation pipes so we can remove them if we need to plough and amend the soils. If on towns gravity or tank gravity feed go with 19mm pressure pipe from the taps and then 13mm for the frames and side feed pipes between beds. The 19mm pipe from tap will stop a loss of water pressure to garden beds further away.

@Dutchs most welcome on the info and the website as it is the one we plant by here in Australia. It helps you plan ahead for the coming planting seasons too if you click on the following months and gives you a planting, plant care and soil preferences too.

We run with a 2lt per hour drip irrigation system here gravity fed by mains town water pressure and have set up all our systems with turn off inline taps to each bed and an irrigation framework for the drip irrigation pipes so we can remove them if we need to plough and amend the soils. If on towns gravity or tank gravity feed go with 19mm pressure pipe from the taps and then 13mm for the frames and side feed pipes between beds. The 19mm pipe from tap will stop a loss of water pressure to garden beds further away.
I had a strange coincidence yesterday. I was going through the mail after I had read this post and there just happened to be a pamphlet in there from a company that sells drip irrigation. It appeared as if it it is very very reasonable I think I'll get some for my fruit trees and my garden what are hot summer in Florida I think it'll be a great investment.

@NannyPatty hopefully the weather will warm up soon for you to plant and yes you are right beets are really tough and a good start for your gardens.

@Dutchs you are right drip irrigation hose isn't that expensive and well worth the investment in water savings and to keep your plants alive. They have what is known as frost cloth here in Australia that you drape over plants during frosty periods that you may be able to get there. It isn't that expensive either but tablecloths would probably do the job too.

@Meerkat it sounds like you have a great head start on your gardens too and sorry to hear about your pear tree loosing it's blossoms :( .

@NannyPatty hopefully the weather will warm up soon for you to plant and yes you are right beets are really tough and a good start for your gardens.

@Dutchs you are right drip irrigation hose isn't that expensive and well worth the investment in water savings and to keep your plants alive. They have what is known as frost cloth here in Australia that you drape over plants during frosty periods that you may be able to get there. It isn't that expensive either but tablecloths would probably do the job too.

@Meerkat it sounds like you have a great head start on your gardens too and sorry to hear about your pear tree loosing it's blossoms :( .
@Sewingcreations15 - Your so right.I am definitely going with the Drip Irrigation here in a few weeks. The Tablecloths worked on my Trees. We had 32 degrees Fahrenheit here last night. I rolled in late last night and covered everything by Flashlight. Thank god I did. We had a heavy blanket of frost this morning. Maybe again next Wednesday so I will be prepared. I don't have my veggies planted yet..Thank goodness....I had nothing to cover that much. I'll look for the frost cloth..Sounds like a great idea versus losing everything! Thanks so much for the info......

SewingC Thanks and we also planted turnips too I forgot to add those.
Yea the pear tree bloomed too early from freaky warm spell this month.

So since i have bought and am planting some Herbs, I've got Fruit and Nut trees, Perrenials, tress for Color and Trees for function...I decided I would do an easy garden. I am only at my farm on the weekends right now so i am going to give it a try with Veggies that can Withstand some dryness if something goes wrong and i can't get there in the same timely fashion I usually do. And things that HOPEFULLY...I say that with a grain of salt because i have NO idea what will or won't eat these vegetables, The animals won't destroy them.....Here is what i am going with , What a ya think?
4896.jpg

AsparaBest® Asparagus - Medium Grade4896

09491.jpg

California White Garlic09491

77034.jpg

Evergreen White Bunching Onion77034

16645.jpg

Purple Top White Globe Turnip - Seed Tape (15')16645

73452.jpg

Red Titan Hybrid Beet - Seed Tape (15')73452

02187.jpg

TX 1015-Y Supersweet Onion02187

White Icicle Radishes
85087.jpg

Very nice! :thumbs up:

I posted last night about putting my onions out. Y'all should have seem me and gramps out, him with back issues and me with a monster orthopedic boot on trying to plant 3 bunches. I tried sitting on a 5 gallon bucket and him just kind of tossing them into the rows. I finally rolled off the bucket, put the onions in and covered them inching along. I told him he'd better not put this on FB! It's amazing what determination can accomplish! Next beet seeds, tomato plants. I don't think that I have enough energy to roll around for anything else!:gardening:

I posted last night about putting my onions out. Y'all should have seem me and gramps out, him with back issues and me with a monster orthopedic boot on trying to plant 3 bunches. I tried sitting on a 5 gallon bucket and him just kind of tossing them into the rows. I finally rolled off the bucket, put the onions in and covered them inching along. I told him he'd better not put this on FB! It's amazing what determination can accomplish! Next beet seeds, tomato plants. I don't think that I have enough energy to roll around for anything else!:gardening:
I'll bet it was a sight to see! Hahaha ......At least you are getting it done and it appears you can laugh about it so Life is good! Keep at NannyPatty....my grand parents hand tilled a garden into their mid 80's God bless them and you

Latest posts

Back