What I'm Quilting Now

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work DrP. Never saw anything like that maze quilt.
I've got a couple my grandma made me when I was very young, she died when I was 5. They are well used. I wish now I had kept at least one in pristine condition
Bacpacker, quilts are made to be used! I'm sure your grandma is quite happy to see that you've used her quilts. I believe quilts are just love expressed through fabric. A quilt in pristine condition means it didn't get all the love used up! 😊

Some of my most prized possessions are my quilts lol, I have feed sack quilts from the 30s my great grandmother made, some she made with Mama, some I made with Mama lol, my daughter's baby quilt, and each one has a story and memories attached, like the grandma's flower garden I made by hand, with help from my husband eventually lol it was hilarious but a memory I cherish just like that quilt
Oh Hun, I would LOVE to see some pictures of those feed sack quilts!! Would actually like to see all those quilts along with the stories behind them. There is so much love behind every quilt made, especially when it comes from a family member.

Sorry, but had to cool off before posting this one. About a month ago one of my newest pups, around 8 months old, who I let up in the bed with me chewed a BIG hole in the foot side opposite of me in quilt I made for my bed and actually the only quilt I have kept for myself. SOOO MUCH TIME!!! Afterwards I was so done, but my Hunny just folded it up. I dont know what I can do with it at this point. He seems to think I can just "patch" it. Not when it's at least a 12 in x 8 inch hole around 18 inches in. If anyone has some tips, let me know. It was quited in multiple designs.

Sorry, but had to cool off before posting this one. About a month ago one of my newest pups, around 8 months old, who I let up in the bed with me chewed a BIG hole in the foot side opposite of me in quilt I made for my bed and actually the only quilt I have kept for myself. SOOO MUCH TIME!!! Afterwards I was so done, but my Hunny just folded it up. I dont know what I can do with it at this point. He seems to think I can just "patch" it. Not when it's at least a 12 in x 8 inch hole around 18 inches in. If anyone has some tips, let me know. It was quited in multiple designs.
So don’t know what colors or pattern, but rather than try to “hide” it, maybe find a vintage (if it’s a vintage quilt) or make an 18” block in a different pattern and fabrics. On a piece of white fabric, write what happened to the quilt. Then place the “new” block over all of it and stitch it in place and quilt. The repair then becomes part of the story of the quilt and the quilt remains useful 💕
I tend to like some of the quilts like that better than others that are pristine simply due to the real life story.

So don’t know what colors or pattern, but rather than try to “hide” it, maybe find a vintage (if it’s a vintage quilt) or make an 18” block in a different pattern and fabrics. On a piece of white fabric, write what happened to the quilt. Then place the “new” block over all of it and stitch it in place and quilt. The repair then becomes part of the story of the quilt and the quilt remains useful 💕
I tend to like some of the quilts like that better than others that are pristine simply due to the real life story.
The pup is part of the story!!👍

I just know how many hours this repair is going to be, . . with both sides eaten thru. I will have to rip out ALL stistches to even get into the patch area. I don't have a lot of extra time anymore. But you are right! It is possible and I might have the extra fabrics to redo. I honestly haven't even looked.

Thought those who visit this thread might find this interesting. I think it’s about 12 min. It’s a bit dated but still oh so beautiful.
Ugh! It’s being stubborn.
If you copy and paste this into YT, you should see it.

See some of the quilts filmmaker Ken Burns has collected since the 1970s​

Working on a block of the month or in my case block of the year 😂
IMG_6702.jpeg

My wife bought a new long arm quilting machine last summer. She didn't get to use it though as the puppy (Great Dane mix named Sadie) took her for a walk/flight and she broke her wrist. This is not her, but this is what happened...
pull.gif
We do laugh about it now (at least I do). Anyway, she's finally mended and started to play with her new machine.

After cleaning up her craft room to make space for the new machine, she decided to use scraps to replace a table runner the puppy damaged. Yes, same dog. I should have named her Destructor🙄. As you can see from the photo, my wife's turned the table runner into the beginnings of a twin sized quilt.

IMG_2669.jpg

Sorry to side track the thread with dog stories, but here's a recent picture of the guilty puppy and her adoptive sister, Sabine for animal lovers.

Dogs.jpg

My wife bought a new long arm quilting machine last summer. She didn't get to use it though as the puppy (Great Dane mix named Sadie) took her for a walk/flight and she broke her wrist. This is not her, but this is what happened...
View attachment 123293 We do laugh about it now (at least I do). Anyway, she's finally mended and started to play with her new machine.

After cleaning up her craft room to make space for the new machine, she decided to use scraps to replace a table runner the puppy damaged. Yes, same dog. I should have named her Destructor🙄. As you can see from the photo, my wife's turned the table runner into the beginnings of a twin sized quilt.

View attachment 123294

Sorry to side track the thread with dog stories, but here's a recent picture of the guilty puppy and her adoptive sister, Sabine for animal lovers.

View attachment 123313
I love scrappy quilts. The contained scrappy makes it pop. Tell Firewoman13 she dun gud 😍

Wish we were all closer- we could do a 'piece swop' and put together a quilt -it would look pretty mad, with each square being from a different person.
The talent here is amazing.
I am sitting looking at my fabric stash- I need to get my act together and make something.

Latest posts

Back