What I'm Quilting Now

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 32388 View attachment 32389 View attachment 32391
I have 10 complete blocks so far and lots of pieces in various progression to becoming blocks.
Also, @Maxine in Oregon just for future reference, old machines can be found super reasonable and are excellent for quilting. I've many times found an old machine at a yard sale or thrift shop for $5-$10 with the thread all tangled. I'd take it home, cut out all the thread, clean it, retread, and adjust the tension. I'd often sell them (usually about $20) for a youngster to learn to sew on. They are far more dependable than newer machines. Anyhoo, just in case.

LadyL That Sewing machine is beautiful, I rememebr one of those as a child.

Wish I had of learned more about these types of things.
While the world out there burns you wise ladies do something to keep your hands and minds busy while I just run my mouth about things I can't change.:thumbs:

@MoBookworm1957 Glad you are already looking forward to stitching. I knew you were an awesome gal, but this really nails it :). Honestly though, it will help keep your mind busy while your body heals.
I didn't know Maxine or Kim prior to these posts, but sorry you weren't well.

Hi Jackie! Maxine and I are fighters!!! We love sewing so we are just pulling up our boot strings and jumping back in to it!!! We might be a little slow going at first but we will fight these problems and get back in the saddle!!! It’s good to be back!!! ❤️❤️

Wish I had of learned more about these types of things.
While the world out there burns you wise ladies do something to keep your hands and minds busy while I just run my mouth about things I can't change.:thumbs:
It's not too late to learn these types of things, @Meerkat . Learn new skills, start out on simple, easy projects with easy cut outs and straight line sewing.
I've made reversible aprons for my girls, Roman shades, reupholstered cushions, curtains, clothing, hot pads, and other things. My first project was a gym bag in middle school.

@MoBookworm1957 Glad you are already looking forward to stitching. I knew you were an awesome gal, but this really nails it :). Honestly though, it will help keep your mind busy while your body heals.
I didn't know Maxine or Kim prior to these posts, but sorry you weren't well.
Maxine,Kim,Katie, and several others were on another forum.
Some of us came here, some wander between the two forums.
I have always been creative.I even dabble in paint. Just like seeing an idea blossom into a finished quilt, pillowcase,picture etc.

Thinking about embroidery quilt blocks for new baby quilt.
Have about half of them done already.
Transportation blocks, some of them have glow in the dark thread.
Maybe a sampler quilt with left over embroidery blocks.
I have never seen glow in the dark thread. Cool!

I like both of those. Are you wanting scrappy or something using only a couple of fabrics? I've been thinking about fast and easy patterns to use up some of my stash. I've always liked Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trips Around the World because it's soooo easy. This website has started a sewalong using that pattern and I've been thinking about following along with it. I've made several Double Irish Chain quilts through the years and it's a good two color pattern. It doesn't have to be the same fabric, sometimes I use scraps that are all the same color family.

https://www.woodberryway.com/2020/01/scrappy-trip-quilt-along-cutting-and.html

http://www.gigisthimble.com/2020/01/two-color-irish-chain-qal.html

You ladies are inspiring but its a little late for me to get into this type of thing. I did always want to make blankets or covers with family pictures on them.
Meer, as long as you are on this side of the soil, it's not too late :)

Where did you find this quilt pattern?
Or are you making it up as you go along?
Or does it have another name?
Mo, I posted the picture and pattern in this thread Jan 7. On my computer it's on page 3, but if you just scroll back, you'll see it. It's in a 1970's McCall quilting magazine. It's the only name I know for this pattern. I'm going to set mine a little different adding a boarder.

I was going to make my bed and decided I'm not going to use the comforter I've had for 23 years. So I'll need to make myself a quilt. Maybe. We'll see. I have too many other projects at the present time. Ive always wanted to make one for myself.
Just take one project at a time.
You'll get there.
Right now my main goal is to heal from having my knee replaced.
So while my leg is elevated and iced, I sit in recliner crocheting blankets.
6 more balls of yarn and will have emptied another bin.
When I get tired of crocheting, pick up the knitting needles work on blanket there.
That one might take a while besides casting on, only know one stitch.
Bottom of old fashion smoke stand is embrodiery blocks.
My hands like to stay busy, so my mind, body can rest, heal.

Mo I need the encouragement, don't know why. I've got furniture and sewing projects to work on. There are a few other oddball things I've wanted to make too and I know I can do it.
There's an old lady in Marvel's Black Panther movie that didn't become a star until she was more than 80 yrs old. I don't want to be a star except right here in my own galaxy.
Back to the quilts!

Did you use an orange peel to get the shapes just right?
Oh, I made templates. The shapes shown. I can scan them in and share if you'd like. The larger shape, I cut with scissors but the "corner triangles" I can cut with rotary cutter (a square then cut diagonally.) I won't get to it tonight, but can try to remember in the morning.
I'm rather envious you've nearly emptied another tote. That's what I'm trying to do. Which knee is it this time?

Oh, I made templates. The shapes shown. I can scan them in and share if you'd like. The larger shape, I cut with scissors but the "corner triangles" I can cut with rotary cutter (a square then cut diagonally.) I won't get to it tonight, but can try to remember in the morning.
I'm rather envious you've nearly emptied another tote. That's what I'm trying to do. Which knee is it this time?
Right total knee replacement 2 January 2020
Left total knee replacement 5 July 2018.
That pattern looks like Orange Peel, and I have several sizes.

Latest posts

Back