What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Being housebound for all of this time, and coming to the realization that television is really pretty bad I have started to go back into my library, and find things of interest. My library is focused on historical non fiction from the period of 1850 - 1900. I am a huge fan of the Old West.

It was heartbreaking to me when the Library closed, and admittedly that caught me very much by surprise. I used to go to the library every week. My wife and I are both voracious readers.

Has anybody else increased their reading? Any favorite genres or authors?

I have been reading a lot more since flu season started. Mostly learning books. Canning, pasta making etc.
I just started an old book Jack Olsen’s Give a Boy A Gun. It’s about Claude Dallas. Next up is Dan Crenshaws new book Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage. Not sure what’s after that.

So true. My Mom sent me a lot of books. Most of his because she knew I always love reading his. He said in one I read , that he lived everything he wrote about in his books.

Last edited:
I finished "Warpath and Cattle Trail" by Hubert E. Collins. Hubert is a great great uncle of one of my neighbors. The story takes place around 1892 in Oklahoma. True story about a young man, around 12 whose brother has land and has an area for cattle being driven to market. There are cowboys, Indians, and life in the old West. Interesting stories and perspective.

Haven't had much time for reading since the garden work started. I have picked up a couple of book on my Kindle for this winter. I did get "The medicine makers handbook" that Peanut recommended. Have already put it to work by making a batch of Plantain Tinqure

Currently reading "Neptunes Inferno" by James D. Hornfischer.

It's a historical account of the WWII battle for Guadalcanal in the South Pacific.
It's extremely detailed with troop and ship movements, so the first few chapters were a chore to get through, but it's a page turner after that.

Also reading Jeff Shaara's World War II series, currently on Book 2 "The Steel Wave".

Both are historically accurate and based on real people. The dialog is assumed, as taken from diaries and journal entries as well as declassified reports.

Fascinating stuff. It's amazing how these Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines put so much before their own lives.

Reading "True Faith and Allegiance, An American Paratrooper and the 1972 Battle for An Loc" by Mike McDermott. It is mostly about Mike's time in Vietnam, but also talks a little about his life outside of Vietnam. Mike is a retired infantry colonel and one of the most highly decorated soldiers of the Vietnam War--two Distinguished Service Crosses, the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars for Valor, the Purple Heart, and some thirty other awards and decorations. He served four years in combat with U.S. and Vietnamese paratrooper units.

I am normally not someone who would read about war, but Mike is from South Dakota, and given that this book is about someone I knew, and that it was recently recommended on a history site from my home county, I decided to get a copy of the book.

I have not been reading for several months (other than technical study). I am stuck about 3/4 of the way through the same book I've been reading for quite a while now: The Eye of God, by James Rollins. Action/Adventure/Thriller genre. I need to get back to it and finish. It's a good book, as are all of James Rollins', I just haven't put the time into my schedule to read much.

Thank the Lord. Our library is open again. Definitely plan to spend some time there tomorrow.

That book sounds interesting Weedy. Gonna look that up and add to my book needs list.

Currently haven't read a good book in a while. I've got several I want to, also added several to the Kindle. Just don't have the time, between work, garden, & trying to read a little on a couple forums to stay up with what all's going on around the world.

I finally got to the Library yesterday. :woo hoo:I started the latest David Baldacci novel. He is one of my favorites.

If you have a library card, check with your library, you may be able to access the online book app with your account and read or listen to books on your phone or whatever. You can then check out books on your phone, return them right away if you don't like it, and even renew for additional time if not on hold by others. Pretty cool to be able to do that.
Also, some libraries offer curbside pick-up. You can either place a book order online or call and then pick up your books outside instead of going in.
I've been reading soap books, and coloring, and scriptures.

Back on my Sci-Fi kick now.

Reading Joshua Dalzelle's "Marine (Terran Scout Fleet Book 1)" right now.

It takes place in the same universe as his "Omega Force" series (10 books, all great).

Also planning on re-reading John Scalzi's "Old Mans War" series (6 book series)

Might be time to upgrade my Kindle Paper White to the latest version. Screen LED's don't always turn on when I unlock it... :(

I’ve been reading the “Stillmeadow” series by Gladys Taber because I needed something “pleasant”. Also have Opal Whitley on the shelf. I read that long ago. She was a nut but intriguing naturalist. (I read very little fiction.) The book on my ipad that I’m half way through is Katherine Grossman’s garden book. It’s good.
Hubby finally finished “While We Slept” about Pearl Harbor so he’s due for a new one.
Seems like I got 1 other but will have to look.

Sister in Florida is sending the twins each some detective mystery book sets she wrote. Autographed, too. They are excited. Grandson asked if he can be named in a new book, so, her new one coming out in September will have Joshua Stevens as a Chicago kingpin bad guy in her latest, "Hard to Kill". He is over the top excited and said that his aunt is "epic". He wanted to be a bad guy. Ha. I am reading online real estate stuff for my sis. Can't find anything for sale here in multiple listings. Gonna have to take a drive and look for FSBO or some other non MLS. She is realizing it's time to get out of dodge. She knows how to do alot of things, so she'd be good to have as a nearby neighbor. Plus she can argue with mom so I don't have to.

Just finished, "Land of the Burnt Thigh," by Edith Eudora Kohl. It is a book about two sisters who are born and grow up in St. Louis, and decide to go homestead. They end up homesteading in Brule County, South Dakota. I have read this book 3 times and I forget all of it except one piece when there is a blizzard and people end up with no fuel to burn. Many of these homesteaders live in shacks that are about 12 by 12 with tarpaper siding, and paper glued to the walls on the inside.

Sis's new book is just now out, and grandson is tickled pink that he is the bad guy. So now another sis is writing. Crime drama, too. Don't know what name she'll be under, but she's using granddaughter's name in book three. She'll be releasing all three books at once.
I have a Jersey cow named after me. And two of her babies are named after two of our daughters. Ha

I have gone down the rabbit hole with Brad Thor. It is always nice to find a new author, especially one with a large body of work. I just finished The Last Patriot. I think the spy novel is my favorite genre.

Latest posts

Back