What is everyone doing about fats and oils post collapse?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plant and seed oils are not really good for humans, olive and coconut are probably the best. Animal fats are Good, The rise in a lot of problems started with plasticized plant oils touted as good for you. The people who orcestrate war and famine attack on multiple fronts

Fats are always a problem, as they do not store well long term.

Pre-SHTF, I have.....significant quantities frozen....when I lose the ability to freeze....the clock will start ticking. Long term I will have to make do with hunting.

I have one of these, seed oil press. Black sunflower seed is plentiful, cheap and easy to grow. I keep a hundred pounds in the barn and buy fresh seed each year (feed the old to livestock). Plenty of oil until i can grow a crop and harvest it.

Piteba Oil Press.jpg

I have one of these, seed oil press. Black sunflower seed is plentiful, cheap and easy to grow. I keep a hundred pounds in the barn and buy fresh seed each year (feed the old to livestock). Plenty of oil until i can grow a crop and harvest it.

View attachment 125256
Yep - me too. That’s what the video I posted was about.

I just pick up some beef from a butcher a few days ago. We asked for all the fat trimmings, along with the organs and anything else edible. But, the fat we have frozen until we need to render it down for whatever reason. Maybe check with a local butcher, or possibly even the local grocery store, and ask if they have, or can save, some of the cut off fat for you. It may be available free or at a very affordable price. Odds are what scraps they have get sent to the local hog farm so they probably wont mind saving some for you to pick up once a week.

We also render down the fat from the ducks we process and store it for multiple uses.

i use coconut oil both solid and liqud--very very long shelf life--i think the longest of all and no back flavor if you get the right brand. . i know there is a good variety of oils , vbutter . lard, olive oil, avocado oil--i would not touch canola.

i have canned butter---but if you forget about it and 6 yrs later find a jar it turns into a cheese chunk apparently. kinda Strong cheese smell likes its pissed at you for forgetting it. not bad or rancid just strong cheese smell.
but i just buy coconut oil now--no problems.

Stored fat:

Commercial canned dairy fat - canned cream and butter
Powdered dairy fat - powdered milk
Tuna and sardines packed in olive oil blend
Commercial canned fatty meat like corned beef, ham, bacon, spam

Grown/raised fat:

Beef
Chickens
Chestnuts, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds

Hunted/caught fat:

Medium game (good fat content at the right time of the year ie late spring/early summer)
Game birds
Fish
Lobsters

Stored fat:

..Commercial canned fatty meat like corned beef, ham, bacon, spam..

..And +1 for Salmon, ie: https://www.amazon.com/Rubinsteins-Red-Salmon-Case-24/dp/B00HDMJLGM/ :cool:

For the Op: Sealed 3L 'tins' of EVOO are the way to go for LTS, ie: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Papous-Greek-Extra-Virgin/dp/B07BR7MS5D/ ..If stored 'properly' (dark, cool, etc) should certainly be able to get 2-3, and certainly all of 5 yrs if you Freeze 'em. Important to be Sure that it's not some 'el Cheapo, cut with Canola' or something 'Value-Brand', and Never in plastic, for LTS.

Fwiw..
jd

I also have five gallons of cold-water fish oil; I mix it with rancid Dog Food........Great "Bear Bait".

And about six gallons of peanut oil, also for bear bait.

17 cases of canned Red (Sockeye) salmon. 24 cans in a case, enough for one can a day for one year. (Not for Bears Consumption).

I just pick up some beef from a butcher a few days ago. We asked for all the fat trimmings, along with the organs and anything else edible. But, the fat we have frozen until we need to render it down for whatever reason. Maybe check with a local butcher, or possibly even the local grocery store, and ask if they have, or can save, some of the cut off fat for you. It may be available free or at a very affordable price. Odds are what scraps they have get sent to the local hog farm so they probably wont mind saving some for you to pick up once a week.

We also render down the fat from the ducks we process and store it for multiple uses.
I ask the meat department in three different grocery store for white fat, they all sad no trimmings or pure white fat.
The meat comes to the store ready to eat.

that is a good canned cheese. i like to get some now and then when i can. check out safecastle site too. som,etimes you can get a little better deal especially if you look up any discount codes to apply. but that is pretty good cheese to have around.
You want to use a "SIDE CUTTER" (smooth edge) style can opener. Be sure to "NOT" get cans with peel back or pop top lids.

Coconut oil and frozen butter for cooking . Powdered whole milk, cheese, and cream for dietary fat. Canned beef, pork, ham, tuna, salmon, and chicken. Long term I’ll have a problem with oil.

Why don’t you like the pop top?

What brand Powdered whole milk & how long does it last in the pantry?
Can powdered whole milk be added to hot coffee n it's dry form or must it be add to water first?
I have found that some pull tops brake off & you have to get out the mini vise grips, this may not be the can cheese problem.

I ask the meat department in three different grocery store for white fat, they all sad no trimmings or pure white fat.
The meat comes to the store ready to eat.
Maybe different areas may have different options. Around here, at least in a few stores, the butcher in the meat department still cuts up the beef. I haven't asked for fat but people I know get leg bones for their dogs to chew on, and it is possible to get your steaks cut super thick, with extra fat on the edges, or trimmed clean of fat for people who still think animal fat is what is killing them.

Frozen butter and coconut oil I can make butter, and get lard from my butcher but I'm not confident in rendering, because its not something I've had to do.
I think it would be an issue here if there was no power- seeds or nuts cant be relied upon because of the weather. We've already been warned early this year about lack of olive oil, but no issues so far.

Frozen butter and coconut oil I can make butter, and get lard from my butcher but I'm not confident in rendering, because its not something I've had to do.
I think it would be an issue here if there was no power- seeds or nuts cant be relied upon because of the weather. We've already been warned early this year about lack of olive oil, but no issues so far.
Rendering fat is pretty easy. I have every confidence you would be able to figure it out quickly.
RE the olive oil. I think most olive oil actually comes out of India??? If you get olive oil from Italy - hang on if we here in the US, not sure about there - it is not pure olive oil anyways. The mafia controls the OO industry so there is a lot of political "influence" if you will. For us Calif. olive oil is actually a better option if we want real olive oil.

Latest posts

Back