What is everyone doing about fats and oils post collapse?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the main topic of the discussion is what is a good, long storing fat/oil to have stored and what foods post event would be helpful in keeping us healthy.
But, post event we will all have our own different specialty diets we prepared for and what we are able to harvest from our homestead and the wild.
Some will be eating a lot of fish, others deer or moose or bear, others wild birds and squirrels, and some will be living off their storage and homestead critters. Here in the desert maybe scorpions and jackrabbits, I suspect the deer and elk will be harvested away real quick. But I have a shotgun for pigeons and other wild birds in the area. It is almost impossible to eradicate pigeons.
On that note but not specifically on the topic of fats: native Americans and many other countries ate/eat dogs and cats which there are lots of.

OK guys, chew on this a minute, we used to can our own beef stew, sausage, chicken, and even hot dogs and fish, each of these contains animal fat, most would keep up to five years except the fish. could one not just render down the fat and can it?

OK guys, chew on this a minute, we used to can our own beef stew, sausage, chicken, and even hot dogs and fish, each of these contains animal fat, most would keep up to five years except the fish. could one not just render down the fat and can it?

Latest posts

Back