What is Everyone reading right now?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Some folks have commented on stuff they have been reading in other threads. Here is a spot for further discussion on this. Topic isn't important. Don't have to be prep related or any specific catagory.

I'll start. Just this morning finished a book titled "First thru the Grand Canyon" by John Wesley Powell. Powell was a severely wounded Veteran of the civil war. He lost an arm in the battle of Shiloh and went back into battle after he recovered until the end of the war.
The book is about him leading a group on men down the rivers that come together to form the Colorado River and pass thru the Grand Canyon. It is well written and by following Powells way of telling the story, it is easy to place yourself in the time and areas described.
Having been to the canyon before, but never on the river, I can see in my minds eye parts of his tale. But others just defy it.
I highly recommend it if history or adventure interest you. I have another of his books I will start on next.

Dark Winter. Getting ready to start it here in a little bit.
book-long-dark-winter.jpg

Got 6 books out of the library recently, all at different times of course.
Just finished the first in a series, "One Second After." I didn't get book 2 yet.
Have other stuff I want to read first. I don't usually read fiction much anymore.
"First Through The Grand Canyon" sounds like something I'd want to read. Right now I've got something out about conservation heroes of America's heartland.
Haven't started it yet.
Other things get in the way of sitting down and reading a book sometimes.
Which "Emergence," Caribou? The one by Derek Rydall or the one by Jaliza Burwell, or the one by David Palmer?

I bet thats a pretty good book Meer. I'll be interested to get your take on it when your done.

I've just been reading thru a couple of magazines mostly about different plants such as Sage, Goldenrod, garlic, and a few others.

It starts out with the war. War ends and now I'm reading about the Booth Militia and Lincoln.
My take may not be too popular on this one. So far not liking Lincoln too much but not half way thru book yet.
Will see soon its only about 300 pages.

Just finshed John Ringo There will be Dragons series, It is a SHTF Fantasy with SIFI elemrnt.

I Reading Tanya Huff SIFI.
I also read the BIBLE, from time to time.
Some garden & landscrape books.
I do less now that my son showed me youtube & Jordon Peterson.

My reading goes in binges. I will go months without reading then I will read for months straight.
I have a Kindle Paper-white that I thought I would use. I was wrong. I plug it in every few months just to keep it charged but I never read even 1 book on it.
I have given it away twice but they always give it back because they also don't use it.
I need to find some worthy person that would actually use it and give it to them.

About 20 on the go right now, combination of fiction and non. I have slowed down over the years and probably read 300-320 books a year. My Kindle app on the Ipad has about 6500 titles, another couple thousand in iBooks, plus actual books around 1500 titles. When we downsized four years ago I got rid of 40 full bookcases. Did I mention I read a lot?

I'm reading Trekker by James S. Peet right now. The second book in a series that started with Surveyor. Not really good, not really bad. Better choices of reading material are available, but these two have kept me minimally entertained. Emphasis on minimally. These are the first books by this author, so he's a new writer. Sci-Fi Alternate Earths genre. They read a little like Young Adult novels - not very in-depth, you are spoon-fed the story. You keep waiting for something awesome to happen, given the unexplored alternate Earth theme, but it doesn't. Things just plod along until the extremely abrupt ending. Then the second book starts. It's as if it was really one book, that was randomly ripped in half mid way through. Almost mid-sentence between the characters. I hate "series" like that. If you're going to write a book, at least finish the thing. Don't publish the first half, then expect people to run and pay more money to buy the second half. Unfortunately, this sales technique is getting popular with many of Amazon's Kindle Unlimited authors.

What I read right before these two was Burial Ground by Michael McBride. Rain forest adventure genre, with nasty creatures that want to eat you. A significantly more entertaining book than the two above, IMHO. The ending felt a little rushed right at the very end, but at least it ended.

Next up: Outland, by Dennis E. Taylor due to be re-released on Oct 16th, 2019 (another one in the parallel Earth genre).

Here are some books that I have read in recent years, that I would recommend:

Wool, by Hugh Howey
Ice Hunt
, by James Rollins
The Martian, by Andy Weir
The Breech
/ Ghost Country / Deep Sky, by Patrick Lee
Storm Front
, by Jim Butcher (I listened to the audiobook, which was recommended to me as being even better than the book - I concur, awesome narrator!)
One Second After, by William R. Forstchen
Fragment
, by William Fahy

I read from a combo of ways. For anything g research or historical I prefer books. Hard bound preferably. Fiction type stuff or thi gs as a one time read I can do either paperback or kindle. I've got a Gen 2 kindle with around 1000 titles on it, read at least 30% of them. Enjoy certain magazines as well at times. And read a good deal just off news sites and such on internet. I wish I had time to read more than I do. Very relaxing to me for the most part. Also have several bibles I go thru. My current favorites is the 1611 KJV. I've got an app on my phone for that as well.

To be more specific - on my desk this moment that I am reading...

1) I read my Bible daily - typically go through cover to cover in one translation then switch translation - currently ESV
2) Textual Criticism by Dan Wallace
3) The Hope - a novel by Herman Wouk on the seven day war
4) What If - Jerry D Young - I like both him and TOM - have read everything by both numerous times
5) Canadian Cowboy - Andy Russell
6) Total Resistance - van Dach - a somewhat dated but interest text on guerilla warfare
7) about 20 commentaries on the biblical Epistle To The Romans, as I teach a class on the subject

Just Finished all the James Bond books by Ian Fleming (with the exception of Thunderball)
Also Just finished the first dozen Jack Reacher novels

After reading the first 110 pages of ' Killing Lincoln ' I am now at the actual part of Booth and Lincoln in the theatre. But I just can't get ready yo read this part yet.
First 100 pages were total horrible war's.

I'll have to have at least several hours of Lewis Grizzard humor to get back to this book on Lincoln.

Bodies in the backyard.
Forensic Psychology
Until Death Does us Part.

Mobook,I read a book about death parting a couple years ago. ' The Two Mrs.Grenvilles '. It was a true story.
We also watched War of the Roses 'again' this week. It was like watching a new movie since we forgot all of it,except the crystal candiliear crash of course.
Tell @Grimm we paid for it though.:D $3.99 on youtube. Wonder where Grimm is I miss her make up advice. :cool:

Mobook,I read a book about death parting a couple years ago. ' The Two Mrs.Grenvilles '. It was a true story.
We also watched War of the Roses 'again' this week. It was like watching a new movie since we forgot all of it,except the crystal candiliear crash of course.
Tell @Grimm we paid for it though.:D $3.99 on youtube. Wonder where Grimm is I miss her make up advice. :cool:
Death do Us Part is about black widow killing her husbands- true story.
It's one of my final classes textbooks I needed for my next promotion.
So was Forensic Psychology.
Bodies in Backyard is fiction.

I just finished Marathon Man by William Goldman.

I recall a while back that Jeff Glor had mentioned what a great book it was on the CBS evening news. I can't remember in what context he stated this. I thought, huh....I wonder what a liberal considers a great book?....so I got a copy on ebay. As expected it is full of racial slurs and racist generalities.:rolleyes: I thought it was also interesting that there was a part in there where a character had a dream about peeling faces off of people, among other torture references that would sound familiar to those who follow Q. There was even a shout out to the Rothschilds toward the end of the book. It was entertaining.........but creepy, none the less.:eek: I would not consider it a great book by any means.

I just finished Marathon Man by William Goldman.

I recall a while back that Jeff Glor had mentioned what a great book it was on the CBS evening news. I can't remember in what context he stated this. I thought, huh....I wonder what a liberal considers a great book?....so I got a copy on ebay. As expected it is full of racial slurs and racist generalities.:rolleyes: I thought it was also interesting that there was a part in there where a character had a dream about peeling faces off of people, among other torture references that would sound familiar to those who follow Q. There was even a shout out to the Rothschilds toward the end of the book. It was entertaining.........but creepy, none the less.:eek: I would not consider it a great book by any means.

Its always good to see whats up with the other side, but not sure I can take a whole book about them unless my side is writing it of course,:D. But I do watch liberal radio and political shows too. Not entertaining ones but political ones.
Still have Killing Lincoln on pause for now, and can't bring myself to the actual shooting part yet.

Its always good to see whats up with the other side, but not sure I can take a whole book about them

This isn't a political book....it's more of a thriller. It was made into a movie by Paramount (in the 70's, I think) starring Robert Redford. It was a short book, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. I have some political books that mostly just sit on the shelf. Although, I have read some of Dinesh D'Souza's books.

Yeah, the only reason I watch CBS news sometimes is to see what the other side is reporting. Now, I just cannot stand Nora O'donell.....she grates on my last nerve. At least Jeff Glor's personna was tolerable, even though I didn't like his reporting.

Latest posts

Back