What is Rich?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich in money terms? Heck if I know, we have enough to pay for what we need, and some things we want, and thats good enough for us. We'll never make the "rich list". Rich in life, yeah, we are healthy, good friends and family, can go places if we want.

I made way more NOT buying lottery tickets than I ever made trying my luck :p. If it was meant for me to win, I would find the winning ticket.

"Rich" is the dividing line where the government determines they can take more money from you than they give you in freebies. It is not strictly determined by income, other factors come into play - determined dynamically depending on the wokeness of the politicians making the decision.

I wish I were not rich, but I can't seem to escape from it.

I buy 1 lottery ticket on Friday the 13ths. I figure if God wants me to win, I’ll win. I might as well have a fun story to go with it. It would be $$$ but wouldn’t make me rich 😊
While I have already shared my thoughts on gambling...

When was working in Jerusalem, I was told that they ( the jews) thought Friday the 13th was a lucky day.

Ben

I didn't get one stinking number, dad blasted!

The story of my life. If all of this lottery money is supposed to be going toward education they should have named two schools after me by now. I don't play. I just make my donation.

If you win a 400 million dollar jackpot and take the cash payout you only get 200 million. Then you pay 100 million in taxes so you are left with 100 million dollars. If you live in a state that has only 10% income tax you pay 20 million in state taxes which leaves you with 80 million. If you buy a new house and a car that together cost 1 million then you have to pay property tax of ten thousand dollars a year and Car tax and license fees of 1200 dollars a tear. In less than 20 years you will be out of money and have to sell your house to pay car taxes.
You can't spend your way to monetary wealth.

I think you dropped a few zeros after the "buy a house and car" part. You would have 79 million left after that. Property tax at 10,000 per year plus car tax of 1200 per year equals 11,200 per year. 20 years times 11,200 per year is 224,000 - nowhere near close to exhausting the 79 million you have left. As a matter of fact, just the interest on your remaining 79 million would pay your property and car taxes ... and a lot more.

You are investing the money if you get interest. I left off the cost of staying alive for twenty years and the cost of feeding the car and house.
Nothing is that simple and nothing is very complicated. :)

Rich to me is simple.
Home, family, friends, a pup named Strawberry, good health.
I may not have an abundance of cash, but consider myself rich in other ways.
I am in reasonable good health.
My sons, daughter in law and grand daughters are healthy.
My dad is still living and relatively healthy.
I have food store in the pantry, under the bed, in the freezers.
I have no big debt suffocating me any longer.
Only debt I currently have is monthly debt, car payment.
Not bad to be down from $65000 down to less than $8654.73.
Have paid if all off bit at a time.
So yes, I consider my self rich.

I spent two weeks in Bangalore, India and found out that we are rich! I promised myself that every day I have toilet paper and running water would be a great day and that I would NEVER complain about anything petty again. Changed my perspective on life forever.

I spent two weeks in Bangalore, India and found out that we are rich! I promised myself that every day I have toilet paper and running water would be a great day and that I would NEVER complain about anything petty again. Changed my perspective on life forever.
Growing up poor works as well.

I will skip the Monty Python "... and ate poison for breakfast and we liked it!".

Ben

If you win a 400 million dollar jackpot and take the cash payout you only get 200 million. Then you pay 100 million in taxes so you are left with 100 million dollars. If you live in a state that has only 10% income tax you pay 20 million in state taxes which leaves you with 80 million. If you buy a new house and a car that together cost 1 million then you have to pay property tax of ten thousand dollars a year and Car tax and license fees of 1200 dollars a tear. In less than 20 years you will be out of money and have to sell your house to pay car taxes.
You can't spend your way to monetary wealth.

Back the truck up a minute. Let's start from your 80 million mark. I know if you take the lump sum you lose half, so going from 400 to 200 is accurate. Another half for Federal taxes is accurate. I will concede the State tax, so we are down to $80 million. If you invest that conservatively in Triple AAA rated Municipal bonds which probably pay something in the range of a 3% return, you would get $2,400,000 per year in interest income TAX FREE.

I'm not saying people couldn't be dumb enough to squander it away, but even if you decide to live on a Million Dollars a year you are not going to go through it in 20 years even with a Million Dollar house.

I grew up in Southern Arizona, and spent more time in Mexico than I needed to. You don't have to go far into Mexico to see abject poverty. In some parts it was like going back in time 200 years.

Pinnickel Farms, you are so right. Every American should see what true poverty is. We have poverty here in some areas, but not anything close to what some would want you to believe.

There have been a lot of surveys that have indicated that the average person in the third world is happier than the average person in the Western World.

Having been to much of the third world, my own observations concur (mostly) with the surveys......except that tragedy can be lurking around the corner for all those people. If someone gets badly sick, or there is a bad harvest, or civil unrest, or when many other bad things happen, poor people are much more vulnerable to the terrible effects of those calamities.

In most cases, poor people have experienced those sorts of crises - but if they come out the other side more or less OK, they go back to be happy again. With that being life for them and everyone they have ever known, that is their version of normal.

For people in the Western world, they grow up thinking that there should be some sort of safety net (that protects them from the bad things that happen sometimes). They also grow up seeing some people who are much better off than they will ever be. Unfulfilled hopes and expectations seem to cause resentment and unhappiness for many.

It is too bad that most "poor" people in Western nations can't afford to travel to the third world. It would do many of them good to see what being genuinely poor really looks like and how most of those people really do have (mostly) happy lives.

In my experience, happiness is something that mostly comes from within.

People often make the mistake of thinking that happiness is something other people should provide them, or that happiness is likely to turn up in a Fedex box, or that happiness is something you can buy in a shopping trip.

You can have both, but if they know you have money your love one will let you pay for everything.
Then there is everyone else, if you are smart you will poormouth, let the world think you have fail, that you should done what you did do. Bragging can get you killed.
As a prepping person you can invest in thing that most do not see as riches.

You can have both, but if they know you have money your love one will let you pay for everything.
Then there is everyone else, if you are smart you will poormouth, let the world think you have fail, that you should done what you did do. Bragging can get you killed.
As a prepping person you can invest in thing that most do not see as riches.
We use that as a prepping strategy. If a hoodlum is walking through the neighborhood looking for a house to rob or pillage it will not be ours. Same thing with our vehicles. Make them think they will get dirty if they want to steal our work truck... Actually they will.
;)

Ben

Health and family and enough money left over after the necessities to buy breakfast at the family dinner a few blocks away.

The rich worry about maintaining there wealth and status and outward appearance.

The guy who lives in a shack down by the river with a family who works as the mail man and has everything paid for is probably much happier and care free. Plus he isn't on call 24/7 with interests to worry about. As long as people get there mail and packages everyone is happy. Doesn't matter how he/she looks or what they drive people are happy to get there packages from them. Bills not so much.

Latest posts

Back