What is Rich?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was thinking about a comment I saw about they were waiting for the 2nd million as the first million was too hard.

That makes me think very hard. What do you consider rich? I ask as during my divorce my lawyer told me I was going to be poor. I had to tell her I got the girls, so I'm rich but may be fiscally challenged.

So, what do you consider Rich? If it's money are you willing to pay the price for it? And there is a price.

So, what do you consider Rich? If it's money are you willing to pay the price for it? And there is a price.
Rich is a household full of kids and grandkids.😍
Monetarily, you are right, you do pay a price for it.
I consider someone with more than $1M in liquid assets to be wealthy.
Even though I am nowhere near that, I can tell you that you need Tums® and Dramamine to survive the rollercoaster.
Just one of my stock accounts can go up or down $4,500 in ONE DAY:eyeballs:.
Another one is still $5,400 'underwater'.
Hopefully someone that has been wishing their whole life that they had plenty of money will read this; be careful what you wish for!
Oh, did I mention that the sharks are always constantly circling in the water?
gaah105.gif
Don't slip.

That guy sitting on the front porch of a cabin, in overalls, with a full pouch of Redman, looking pretty good yet?

Rich is a household full of kids and grandkids.😍
Monetarily, you are right, you do pay a price for it.
I consider someone with more than $1M in liquid assets to be wealthy.
Even though I am nowhere near that, I can tell you that you need Tums® and Dramamine to survive the rollercoaster.
Just one of my stock accounts can go up or down $4,500 in ONE DAY:eyeballs:.
Another one is still $5,400 'underwater'.
Hopefully someone that has been wishing their whole life that they had plenty of money will read this; be careful what you wish for!
Oh, did I mention that the sharks are always constantly circling in the water?View attachment 57338Don't slip.

That guy sitting on the front porch of a cabin, in overalls, with a full pouch of Redman, looking pretty good yet?

You get it. Especially the sharks.

So, what do you consider Rich? If it's money are you willing to pay the price for it?

In 69' after completing four year (8,000 hour) apprentice for my "Journeymen Machinists' papers. They moved me to engineering to do programing for the then "New" computer controlled Horizontal Boring Mills, we were building. As I sat there staring out the window daydreaming, the boss scared me out of my fantasy, and asked, "How do you like your promotion..??"

I said, "I was thinking about moving to Alaska, and becoming a Big Game Hunting Guide". He took me in his office, closed the door, we had a long talk, shook hands. And weeks after I was on the virgin flight of a brand spanking new 747 headed for Alaska, and a life of true adventure.

I have zero regrets of that decision. I had $148.00 and no job in Alaska, but I was "FREE". Free to live my life, not a corporate career.

Health

having a home/roof over your head,food and clean water,a bit of land to garden on. having this and NO DEBT,is key point to being rich. it could be a 1/4acre and a tiny home or 1000 acres and a 5,000 square foot off grid solar powered home. if its not paid for and you cant maintain that level with ease then you got troubles. when food,water,shelter are being done and it takes a minimum of effort and funds to do then a huge life burden is lifted off your shoulders.you are able to then deal with the most crazy curve-balls life can throw your way. no funds...life continues to function of having shelter,food and water would be only concerns and your energy is focused on that and it makes it easier as the shelter part is no longer taking effort away from you.its adding value daily.

i could go on but i think yall see what i am saying

scripture says it all often..heres one for all...from book of sirach,also called wisdom of sirach or in original 1611kjv.1598kjv and 1598geneva bible called Ecclesiasticus chapter 29..starting at verse 21
(this is not Ecclesiastes)

Contentment
21The chief thing for life is water, and bread, and clothing, and an house to cover shame. 22Better is the life of a poor man in a mean cottage, than delicate fare in another man's house. 23 Be it little or much, hold thee contented, that thou hear not the reproach of thy house.

my grandmother who just died in july at age of 99 worked until she was 82years old. at the time last few years she worked it was part time working in cafeteria of school.she served food to children.they paid her $7 a hour. one day she looked at me and said this is the most i ever made per hour in my life if i could get just a few more hours i could put $500 a month is savings. i about cried...her and my grandfather worked hard and bought land and a home way back when and every dime they made went towards paying it off.3 and half years later it was paid off. from that point on they had limited burden for roof over their heads.

i lost several people in my life as of late all well into their 90's.yes i tended to hang out with folks much older than my self. one told me a couple years ago about his little homestead that he never made any money off it per say as it was to small. but it was enough acreage...maybe it was 15 acres. he always had tons of chicken,couple steers and cut firewood off the place. he said it always housed and fed him his entire adult life no matter his ability to or lack of making hard cash.having that he had the basics and any effort in income making went straight into pocket as pure profit and not into bankers pocket or landlords or a grocery store etc. etc.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a comment I saw about they were waiting for the 2nd million as the first million was too hard.

That makes me think very hard. What do you consider rich? I ask as during my divorce my lawyer told me I was going to be poor. I had to tell her I got the girls, so I'm rich but may be fiscally challenged.

Interesting question you have framed.

I am not ready to reply.

"Rich" and "blessed" seem to be conflated.

There have been those that are rich but not blessed and others that are blessed and not rich and others that are both blessed and rich and let's include those that are not rich or blessed or ric.

So it seems rich and blessed are independent variables.

My granddaughters and my family put me in the the blessed catagory. I once prayed that The Princess be given a little girl to dress up in gowns and frills. While it did not come from her womb, God gave her as much though our granddaughters. And I thank God for that blessing.

On the other hand my father saved up his pipe tobacco budget so he could send me off to boot camp with a roll of quarters to be used for protection or exploited. We have found ourselves in a position where we can provide for ourselves and others.

I consider myself both blessed and rich.

If I had to choose one I would go with blessed. It is a lot more fun and fulfilling. Riches are something that you have to give away.

My 2 cents

Ben

R.I.C.H.
righteous in conscience and health.

There are two sides to every coin. Rich is however you define it.

Health? If you are alive everybody has health. Some have it much better than others. Maybe I will split hairs and say Good Health.

Children and Grandchildren? Some have more than others. Does that make them richer? Some are heartbreaking disappointments. We all can point to examples. Are they still rich?

Money? How much is enough? For some it would be enough to cover basic needs. For others there is never enough. If they could amass every penny in the world they would.

For me I would define rich more within the lines of independence. I would agree with Cascadian; being able to do what you want. I would add when you want. Not being beholden to anybody.

Good post, Angie. Makes you think.

I might have a different view on this topic if my Mega Millions ticket hits tonight.
I told @Firepolice271 today;

"
The lottery is just a tax on those that don't understand math.
"

The brother of a friend hit the lottery for a huge amount 20 years ago. Instead of investing it he kept playing until it was all gone.

That illustrates the proverb

"Riches gained over night dwindle but riches gained by diligence increase."

Ben will step down off of his soapbox.

Ben

I might have a different view on this topic if my Mega Millions ticket hits tonight.

Wait a minute. I thought I has the winning ticket. :dunno:

Winning the lottery could be the worst curse ever in your life.

You might be right, but I would surely like to try it for a while, especially when the numbers get this high.

Latest posts

Back