What is the worst food you've ever eaten?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had haggis whilst in Scotland and it was delicious!

Any thoughts on this? - https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/haggis.htm .. Specifically, relative to the 'why (according to Them) it's Banned in the US' part:

"...the authentic version has been banned from import in the U.S. since 1971. This is because the U.S. Department of Agriculture decreed that livestock lungs cannot be used as food for humans because they can contain stomach fluid, which is a serious foodborne illness risk.."

..WhaHuh?? 😳 I mean, I Get all this: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2010-title9-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title9-vol2-sec310-18.pdf ...relevant excerpt:

"§ 310.16 Disposition of lungs. (a) Livestock lungs shall not be saved for use as human food. (b) Lungs found to be affected with disease or pathology and lungs found to be adulterated with chemical or biological residue shall be condemned and identified as ‘‘U.S. Inspected and Condemned.’’ Condemned lungs may not be saved for pet food or other nonhuman food purposes. They shall be maintained under inspectional control and disposed of..." etc, etc, etc..

..Makes perfect sense, but... Lung, banned from import, "because... stomach fluid"?? 🤔

a) I'd think any / all 'stomach fluids' would get either washed Out of the stomach 'bag' before repurposing, there, or b) Even if 'spongey' lungs Could absorb / get saturated (during slaughter, maybe? Even that seems a 'stretch'..) with those 'fluids', wouldn't any 'foodborne illness risk' be negated by Cooking? 🤔

I'm just not understanding the 'rationale' for that ban - based-on - the assertion that lungs might be full of "stomach fluids".. I think that's a stretch (and That specific verbiage isn't even in that section of the CFR, there.. "Lungs ..affected with disease or pathology... or chem / biological contam." - sure.. But "stomach fluids"?? No makey sense..

Any thoughts? 🤔

jd

Any thoughts on this? - .. Specifically, relative to the 'why (according to Them) it's Banned in the US' part:

"...the authentic version has been banned from import in the U.S. since 1971. This is because the U.S. Department of Agriculture decreed that livestock lungs cannot be used as food for humans because they can contain stomach fluid, which is a serious foodborne illness risk.."
.. But "stomach fluids"?? No makey since.
Silly.
Do you think hog intestines don't :dunno:
Check into what chitterlings are...
Or boudin...
Or andouille sausage.
Yes, we eat tons of that stuff!:thumbs:
Boudin3.jpg

Look close at the casing... No, those lines are not strings, but blood-veins.:oops:
You think it might be possible that there may be some 'stomach fluids' in those?:LOL:

Silly.
Do you think hog intestines don't...
Look close at the casing....
You think it might be possible that there may be some 'stomach fluids' in those?

Uh... 'We're Sorry, the guess you have made is Incorrect. Please Try your Call Again.' 😊

The assertion in the Article is that the "ban" is because .... livestock lungs [which are what is Used in making "authentic" Haggis, from what I read / understand] cannot be used as food for humans because they can contain stomach fluid, which is a serious foodborne illness risk.." That's my "Huh??"

Not talking about intestinal 'casing' (nor even the Stomach 'bag', as-casing) containing the "stomach fluids".. Read the Article again: They assert it's because the Lungs contain stomach fluid'.. That's where I'm scratching the head, here, Capeesh? :p

Someone is selling haggis here in the states...

Yessir, but read past yer Link from that initial Article:

"(You can buy haggis in the U.S., albeit one made without the all-important sheep's lungs.)"

So, I guess if 'Haggis' made without Lungs is still considered "Haggis" by Scotts, then.. Aye. :)

jd

Last edited:
We had haggis whilst in Scotland and it was delicious!
Same here! We had it right on the main tourist street up to the Edinburgh castle and it was good
I was worried about eating in Scotland before we went but the food we had eating out ( I cooked most of the time as usual) was surprisingly good. I think I had the best Indian food outside of India there

Heart is good if you slice it and cook it up like finger steaks - very rich though.
...And very healthy for you too!😍
Chocked full of iron and protein.:thumbs:
When we butchered cows, we never threw the heart away. They were huge, and boneless🙂.
My mom would slice it and stuff the voids with dressing.
It was fabulous!:woo hoo:

^ Mmmmmm, Lamb-kebobs, with Naan & Hummus, and maybe balsamic/lemon/pine-nuts & garlic-sauteed Brussells.. 😍

jd
Naan and hummus are both great. They are easy to make and the foods needed to make them are easy to store in food storage. I'll also take some dal and rice. Dal is easy to make and can be made with lentils, coconut milk and some spices. It is another thing to consider storing the items to make it in food storage.

Here's another one... Head Cheese, made from the head of a pig, but it's not cheese. And just for @Spikedriver there's another version with vinegar called Souse Meat.

I had it as a little kid fairly often. Lot of old folks out here in the country ate it regularly, back when we killed our own hogs. A few years ago I knew a guy who would bring it to potluck dinners. I like it better than vienna sausages. Getting over the "meat jelly" part... is a bit difficult. 😂 Sort of like spam with extra spices... and jelly. I like vinegar so prefer Souse Meat.

Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut that originated in Europe (cold cut terrine or meat jelly). A version pickled with vinegar is known as Souse Meat. Head cheese is not a dairy cheese, but a terrine or meat jelly often made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig, or less commonly a sheep or cow, and often set in aspic. The parts of the head used vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes the feet and heart, may be included. It can also be made from trimmings from pork and veal, adding gelatin to the stock as a binder. Sometimes, it is made with nothing from the head.

Head cheese 02.jpeg

Here's another one... Head Cheese, made from the head of a pig, but it's not cheese. And just for @Spikedriver there's another version with vinegar called Souse Meat.

I had it as a little kid fairly often. Lot of old folks out here in the country ate it regularly, back when we killed our own hogs. A few years ago I knew a guy who would bring it to potluck dinners. I like it better than vienna sausages. Getting over the "meat jelly" part... is a bit difficult. 😂 Sort of like spam with extra spices... and jelly. I like vinegar so prefer Souse Meat.

Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut that originated in Europe (cold cut terrine or meat jelly). A version pickled with vinegar is known as Souse Meat. Head cheese is not a dairy cheese, but a terrine or meat jelly often made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig, or less commonly a sheep or cow, and often set in aspic. The parts of the head used vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes the feet and heart, may be included. It can also be made from trimmings from pork and veal, adding gelatin to the stock as a binder. Sometimes, it is made with nothing from the head.

View attachment 103951
🤮

View attachment 103951
My dad used to eat that crap, (can't call it tripe, that would be flattery:().
I never did, or ever will eat it, because I have watched it being made.
Disgusting! :oops:
... Yes, even a Vienna Sausage eater has some standards. :rolleyes:

My dad used to eat that crap, (can't call it tripe, that would be flattery:().
While we are on the topic of disgusting foods, the word "tripe" is mostly used to describe meaningless/misleading words someone is saying:
"You're not believing the tripe that guy is saying, are you?"
I grew up in the poor area of the south and @backlash nailed it when he said:
"They processed everything themselves at home. Grandpa said they used every part of the pig except the squeal."
Just to make sure nobody accidently eats it, tripe:
tripe_wikiprm.jpg

(Don't worry, no 'stomach material' in those;):thumbs:).

So, now that everybody is hungry, who knows what "sweetbread" is made from?
Sounds delicious, right?
65793-Yummy.gif

I'll take the viannies. Thanks!

Last edited:
As mentioned I grew up in the family meat market. Grandpa's tripe was a family favourite. Only Grandma liked bloody pudding so I only had it a couple of times. I never got used to the texture of head cheese. My favourite game meat is musk ox. Squid is good, I've ordered it a few times. Grandpa wouldn't allow Rocky Mountain Oysters to be sold in the market so I never tried them. I remember a skinned out sheep skull in my uncles display case. Frog legs are great. Moose liver is the best, dredged in flour, fried medium, with tons of onions. Most people over cook liver. Yuck. Fish eyes have a weird texture.

While not a food, I used to harvest fish ears and make ear rings out of them.

Been all over and can honestly say that I've always managed to find something I like to eat in all those places. Liver, haggis, blood sausage, oysters, kangaroo, dog, horse, alligator and crocodile have all been fine to me if cooked right. Love raw tuna and sushi as well.

So, I guess the worse thing for me was a burger in a chow hall that was green. By green, I don't mean that it was a veggie burger, after the first bite, I thought, "this tastes funny add more ketchup." A few more bites and I'm thinking, "this sucks" and that's when I looked and seen there was green stuff (mold maybe?) ground in with the meat. Got sick and went for something else and didn't touch their burgers again. My guess is that it went bad and they cooked it anyway.

Now if we want to go with worse drink, that's easy for me...grappa, a wine moonshine that tastes great, but it'll get you in the end.

View attachment 103951
Zombie food

Never liked that stuff or Goldschlagger (probably misspelled that but it's the stuff with the gold flakes in it)
I was a drink slinger in a couple nightclubs back in my mis-spent youth. I poured many shots of both Jager and Goldschlager. I would take Goldschlager over Jagermeister every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Both of them will rot your brains and your guts...

They both taste like butt water….

..I certainly believe you, but.. Of Course, you Do realize ‘what Question that now-Begs’, dont you? 🤔😬 (..I mean, we Are on the topic of ‘Worst thing you’ve ever Eaten’, amirite? 🤓

Just bustin brass, Bro 😁 Any Parent, who’s changed Countless ‘poopie-diapers’ in thier life, knows the life-alteringly-traumatic answer to that question.. 😱😂

jd

..I certainly believe you, but.. Of Course, you Do realize ‘what Question that now-Begs’, dont you? 🤔😬 (..I mean, we Are on the topic of ‘Worst thing you’ve ever Eaten’, amirite? 🤓

Just bustin brass, Bro 😁 Any Parent, who’s changed Countless ‘poopie-diapers’ in thier life, knows the life-alteringly-traumatic answer to that question.. 😱😂

jd
Let your imagination run wild...

Latest posts

Back