What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got pasta and saltines coming out of our ears here. I'm talking full shelves. It probably doesn't hurt that the world's largest pasta company has a factory 25 miles away though.

I'm seeing weird temporary shortages again. Certain flavors of powdered drink mixes are impossible to find at Walmart. But the Hy-Vee grocery has them. Cereals are hit and miss. My Premier Protein low carb cereal is only in stock about half the time. Most staples like milk and eggs have been well supplied but the little yogurt cups my daughter likes were mostly gone last week. Really weird...
I had a kid at Walmart explain why some stores have certain goods while others do not, you'd think that everyone's goods got shipped equally, but nope, its all about the supply contracts, its why Walmart has XYZ, so you have to go to Kroger to get ABC, and the mom "N" pop to find DEF, you see the big guys have certain priorities based on what they generally sell most of, while the little guys normally just have whats left, so if you want to REALLY know what we're having shortages of, go to the mom "N" pop or the small chain/discount guys. here its mostly pasta, certain canned goods and imports, but oddly corned beef is actually getting cheaper. some exotics and health foods are getting spotty. I'm not worried myself until fall. AFTER the new gas prices settle in.

One thing in particular was the dry coffee creamer. The big container has went from $5 something to over $6 now and the next size down that actually fits in my cupboard is over $4. I didn't buy either one

The cheapest I’ve found coffee creamer is Amazon. They have a 12 pack of 16oz CoffeeMate Hazelnut creamer for $40.

I had a kid at Walmart explain why some stores have certain goods while others do not, you'd think that everyone's goods got shipped equally, but nope, its all about the supply contracts, its why Walmart has XYZ, so you have to go to Kroger to get ABC, and the mom "N" pop to find DEF, you see the big guys have certain priorities based on what they generally sell most of, while the little guys normally just have whats left, so if you want to REALLY know what we're having shortages of, go to the mom "N" pop or the small chain/discount guys. here its mostly pasta, certain canned goods and imports, but oddly corned beef is actually getting cheaper. some exotics and health foods are getting spotty. I'm not worried myself until fall. AFTER the new gas prices settle in.

Even long before the current mess, that is how Walmart has been. Not all stores carry the same products or if they do, prices aren't always the same at each store in a given area. Then to complicate things, what you find on Walmart.com is not what you find in the store.

I worked there for about 6 years and always had customer complaints of 'the website says.......' or 'the Walmart over there does.......' and we'd have to explain, not all Walmarts carry the same stuff and not in line with .com

You would think it would be the same or similar from store to store in places that have multiple stores within a few miles of each other. But Walmart is weird on how they do things. Their work week runs from Saturday thru Friday and their business calendar year is from February to January, No other place I worked at did it that way. But that's besides the point

Even long before the current mess, that is how Walmart has been. Not all stores carry the same products or if they do, prices aren't always the same at each store in a given area. Then to complicate things, what you find on Walmart.com is not what you find in the store.

I worked there for about 6 years and always had customer complaints of 'the website says.......' or 'the Walmart over there does.......' and we'd have to explain, not all Walmarts carry the same stuff and not in line with .com

You would think it would be the same or similar from store to store in places that have multiple stores within a few miles of each other. But Walmart is weird on how they do things. Their work week runs from Saturday thru Friday and their business calendar year is from February to January, No other place I worked at did it that way. But that's besides the point
After work today I am going to a Walmart a little out of the way because they carry a few things I need/want that the closer ones don't carry!!

You got that right! we have 3 here locally within 5 miles of each other, they might as well be different chains entirely.

That sure lines up with what I'm seeing. I started shopping at a small local mom and pop (only 1 location) grocery store in town during 'rona when they weren't enforcing the mask mandates. Definite shortages of pasta, everything gluten free (except pasta - go figure) and crackers. Everything fresh (produce, meat, etc.) seemed to be in good supply.

And probably locally sourced, am I right?
Support Mom and pop or Habib and Mem Sahib, local is better in the long run. if
they have the goods, I come back!

Sarah is really nice, I'm sorry this happened to her. It happen to most of the beekeepers in Alaska from one time to another. The airlines mess up a transfer and then blame it on the beekeepers. A lot of small time beekeepers will not get their order this year.

P.S. The new beekeepers that don't get bees won't be buying hives and all the other beekeeping gear. This is a major loss.

Last edited:
walmart chicken breasts sold out again and only offered 5 adn 2.5 lb bags. a 10 lb turkey was $40--not a typo. egg shortages and over $3, cheese shortages, bread--bagel shortages but they had so heavy multi grain loaves. coffee -instant or ground very low, tea bags very very low and slim selections. rice very slim as was pasta. a 12 pack of lowerys spaghetti sauce mix went from $12.99 to $19.99 in 1 week. almost no oats fresh fruit and veg selection much smaller than normal.

not getting any prettier out there

Wow... what did those poor bees do to deserve such a death? I can't believe how incredibly STOOPID some people are, what a colossal waste of life. :confused:
The temp was 80°. The container added degrees I'm sure, but bees in Texas make it through 100+ temps. Guess they fly and get air and these couldn't. I would not be shocked if it wasn't another attempt on the food chain like with the factories burning. 1m bees isn't a lot in the entire scheme of thing.

Isn't the shipper (the airlines) responsible for the loss? I heard the price of bees just jumped 120%. They should have to replace the bees they killed.

The temp was 80°. The container added degrees I'm sure, but bees in Texas make it through 100+ temps. Guess they fly and get air and these couldn't. I would not be shocked if it wasn't another attempt on the food chain like with the factories burning. 1m bees isn't a lot in the entire scheme of thing.
Bees generate quite a bit of heat. These bees were were in many packages. Each package is about 90% full with the bees taking turns going to the screen to cool off a bit. These packages are tightly packed on pallets. These pallets are tightly placed inside a container. The container was placed outside in the sun on a hot day. Dogs and children die alone in a parked car.

In Alaska they winter bees in a container in up to -40º. The bees provide the heat. The containers have an automatic fan system to bring in freezing outside air in case it gets too hot inside the container, in Alaska, in the middle of winter.

Delta was scheduled to fly these bees to Alaska from California. They decided to take them to ATLANTA and leave them in an oven after being told to refrigerate them.

That bee order was placed close to a year ago. You can't replace those bees for another year. Each package requires a queen and 4#, about, of bees. This is no small feat to put an order like this together. Sarah is one of 4 or 5 bee suppliers in Alaska. We just lost a quarter of our bees for this year.

All they have to do is send the money to the buyer - who already paid the supplier and let him order more.
Or they could contact the supplier an get the bees themselves and then ship them to the original buyer.
Or they could wait until the buyer takes them to court and add to their bill for court costs and loss of revenue and mental stress.

Isn't the shipper (the airlines) responsible for the loss? I heard the price of bees just jumped 120%. They should have to replace the bees they killed.
They will try to weasel out of paying. It was the beekeepers fault for A, or B, or C. Perhaps the threat of never shipping bees again. In any case Sarah will not only loose the profit from all the bees but these people won't be buying all the bee keeping supplies that she has just received for the season.

Bees generate quite a bit of heat. These bees were were in many packages. Each package is about 90% full with the bees taking turns going to the screen to cool off a bit. These packages are tightly packed on pallets. These pallets are tightly placed inside a container. The container was placed outside in the sun on a hot day. Dogs and children die alone in a parked car.

In Alaska they winter bees in a container in up to -40º. The bees provide the heat. The containers have an automatic fan system to bring in freezing outside air in case it gets too hot inside the container, in Alaska, in the middle of winter.

Delta was scheduled to fly these bees to Alaska from California. They decided to take them to ATLANTA and leave them in an oven after being told to refrigerate them.

That bee order was placed close to a year ago. You can't replace those bees for another year. Each package requires a queen and 4#, about, of bees. This is no small feat to put an order like this together. Sarah is one of 4 or 5 bee suppliers in Alaska. We just lost a quarter of our bees for this year.

So is Delta going to be held accountable? What consequences will they have?

Kroger report, North Ga 4 30 22.
Lots of the specialty bread is just not there like sour dough and onion rolls, no sesame buns either which is odd, they're made in Chattanooga. No Coffee flavored energy drinks, Just the over priced Starbucks swill, No green monster either. the craft and micro brew beer selection is getting pathetic, No Amstel or Sam Addams period, the wine is still good however. Plenty of the usual seafood, pork and chicken at mostly normal prices, hamburger as well but the steaks are insane! Ramen is also available in the basics isle, why they moved it from the imported stuff, I got no clue. Pasta, most kinds of beans and rice are there but in tiny quantities, no Lima or cranberry beans, they have four kinds of spinach/mixed greens and the fresh foods/vegetable section is well stocked.

So is Delta going to be held accountable? What consequences will they have?
We'll see, certainly they will not pay for all the loss Sarah will experience this year from downline sales. Just before the bee arrival and for a month more the beekeepers are spending tons on beekeeping supplies. Much like fishing, there is always a new lure, reel, boat, etc.

I can't give fresh eggs away free.
1651365619559.png

I just paid $3.63 for an 18-pack of "large cage-free brown eggs"---other brands wanted up to $5 or more for an 18-pack. Biden economics!!! :oops:

As for shortages, hmm, lemme see...

---Common Sense

---Road Courtesy

---Patriotism

---Cash

Oh, yeah, let's not forget "Hope & Change!!!" PFFFFFFFFFFFFT... :confused:

Latest posts

Back