What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amish Heart, found Dad's orange slices today at Wal*Mart.
Hold on to your hat, they were almost $1.50 higher than two weeks ago.
Same ounces though.
Didn't find any Cherry ones though.
Terri we have those chips you like back in stock.
And we had Dr. Pepper in stock for the first time in a while.
No hand stitch stronger thread for hand stitching quilts though.
I found my thread.
Tandy Leather Works.
Paid dearly for it gladly.
Have enough now to finish 5 quilt tops.
Also have several colors.

After what I've spent just to top things off in the last couple of weeks...........I'd have to say there is a shortage of money atleast at our house. Geeeeeezzz Louise prices are crazy. One thing in particular was the dry coffee creamer. The big container has went from $5 something to over $6 now and the next size down that actually fits in my cupboard is over $4. I didn't buy either one

Of course going to Walmart, I see there's a shortage of common sense too:rolleyes:
I think I have a recipe for homemade coffee creamer still.
If I find it I'll post it.
Seems to me it's like 3 indgredients.

I just paid $3.63 for an 18-pack of "large cage-free brown eggs"---other brands wanted up to $5 or more for an 18-pack. Biden economics!!! :oops:

As for shortages, hmm, lemme see...

---Common Sense

---Road Courtesy

---Patriotism

---Cash

Oh, yeah, let's not forget "Hope & Change!!!" PFFFFFFFFFFFFT... :confused:
The new normal is there is no normal and you hope you have some change left after you go somewhere.

My local $ store is looking pretty picked over for a Monday, no sour creme, no 2 liters of minute made, no chicken Alfredo no HEET gas treatment, no springwater by the gallon. LOTS of deals on chips. When did Cokes go to 6$ a 12 pack?! they make them just up the road!

My local $ store is looking pretty picked over for a Monday, no sour creme, no 2 liters of minute made, no chicken Alfredo no HEET gas treatment, no springwater by the gallon. LOTS of deals on chips. When did Cokes go to 6$ a 12 pack?! they make them just up the road!

Actually $6 is cheap. Around here the name brand soda 12pk is $7.49, even store brand is $5-$6. Depending on what store you go to. Those quoted prices are at Safeway/Albertson. I don't buy it unless it's on a cheap sale, which isn't very often. I don't drink the stuff or rarely if I do, but I do keep some around

I think I'll just buy a coffee pot and repurpose it to a tea brewer.
My son would have a fit! He likes the Japanese tea brewing ceremony.

I went out today and went to Safeway but didn't find much. Also checked the price on that 12pk soda......Coke & Pepsi products are now $7.99 AND a case box was the same price. I thought that was odd, but noticed there is only 18 cans to a 'case' instead of the 20 they used to be.....and before that was 24 cans

Also went to the hardware store looking at their plant starts. There are NO sweet bell pepper starts and few if any of the other mild types, but they have loads of hot peppers. Same thing at Home Depot

Not just peppers, but russet potato starts. Everyone has red, gold or purple potatoes, but none of the russets

Then went to the feed store, they didn't have the sweet peppers or potatoes either......but they also didn't have any meat bird chicks or turkeys either. This is atleast the 3rd time I've been there and they haven't had meaties or turkeys.

Anyone else noticed these items missing??? Or do I just keep showing up too late?????

We had several variety of peppers and chicken, chuck-wagon steak and chef Boyardee Alfredo are the only things I'm missing
The only place I can get a decent chuck wagon steak is at Bojangles. Some pastas are getting scarce as well.

Went to Costco last night. We have 3 near us--a business center, a really large one and the third is over the border in NY. We went to the large one that I absolutely hate going to. Everything was pretty well stocked but we didn't go down every aisle. The usual suspects were low--eggs and chicken. Chicken breast and party wings was only one layer in the fridge case. Although they did have plenty of organic chicken breast, the packages were so small and expensive but were plentiful. The fish cases were very stocked but, again, very high priced. Dad was looking at the salmon. He's desperate to try smoking some but refused to pay $45-55 for it.

Did get a two dozen pack of X-large eggs for $3.99 and the chicken breast was $28.76 (sorry forgot how many pounds it was)

Then went to the feed store, they didn't have the sweet peppers or potatoes either......but they also didn't have any meat bird chicks or turkeys either. This is atleast the 3rd time I've been there and they haven't had meaties or turkeys.

My brother went to get his spring chicks and couldn't find a single chick at any feed or farm store. They've been getting the chicks in, but they sell out immediately. By the time my brother would get off work, they would be gone.
He finally had to mail order some, but he couldn't book a specific date. Due to supply issues (Ideal Hatchery), he had to place the order with no date, and then the hatchery called him the day of shipping to let him know they were on the way.

Pasta was still in short supply yesterday
Don't look for relief any time soon. It looks like the durum wheat crop harvest is going to be poor again.
I had stocked up on bulk pasta deals at Amazon while the supply was still there, so I'm ok for now.
But if the wheat crops continue to fail, pasta is going to be the least of our worries.

My brother went to get his spring chicks and couldn't find a single chick at any feed or farm store. They've been getting the chicks in, but they sell out immediately. By the time my brother would get off work, they would be gone.
He finally had to mail order some, but he couldn't book a specific date. Due to supply issues (Ideal Hatchery), he had to place the order with no date, and then the hatchery called him the day of shipping to let him know they were on the way.
Actually I find this to be the silver lining of this whole situation. I think this is actually a supply/demand issue, which means people are wanting their own birds. That is actually a good thing! We have so many people around us with lots of eggs that we are getting our eggs for free right now. I'm grateful for that. I also think more people are planting gardens and doing more homesteading projects at home. This is a huge win for our nation!

A friend went out shopping at WM this week and said there was no frozen chicken, no ice cream of their brand (don't know which one that was), and there were shortages everywhere. They said the produce was awful with holes in that section as well.

I keep filling the incubators. These last 15 hatch I'll keep. I'll just butcher the roosters I don't want. More due in two weeks.
I noticed a local guy that does Jordan's Harvest on youtube when to our last fowl sale last Friday and brought in to auction a few hundred chicks he ordered and resold for profit. Not sure what he got them for originally. I'm staying away from the sales at the moment because of avian flu. I don't know if it's a real deal or not.

Don't look for relief any time soon. It looks like the durum wheat crop harvest is going to be poor again.
I had stocked up on bulk pasta deals at Amazon while the supply was still there, so I'm ok for now.
But if the wheat crops continue to fail, pasta is going to be the least of our worries.
We have miles and miles of wheat all around us. It's actually looking really good this year (so far). The tilting factor will be if our gov. allows our own country to keep it and feed our own or exports it to fulfill some ill-gotten deed.

We have several large fields near us. All are planted in wheat. Almost knee high, and they harvest around July 4th.
I wish I was there, I'd make a deal with some farmer to pay cash for about a ton of that wheat.

I keep filling the incubators. These last 15 hatch I'll keep. I'll just butcher the roosters I don't want. More due in two weeks.
I noticed a local guy that does Jordan's Harvest on youtube when to our last fowl sale last Friday and brought in to auction a few hundred chicks he ordered and resold for profit. Not sure what he got them for originally. I'm staying away from the sales at the moment because of avian flu. I don't know if it's a real deal or not.
It might be an old wives tale, but I heard feeding them corn meal mush until they're almost grown makes the meat tender, all you need is some corn meal about to go bad and hot water.

Isn't ANYONE loading 357 ammo anymore.

357 is not as popular among the younger generation. Wheel guns are less popular so it is not a priority.
I load mine. I have for the last 50 years.

Saturday we were at Star Nursery and Lowes and both had sweet bell peppers, and plenty of tomatoes. At the ranch store they had plenty of chicks and ducklings and turkey polts. (is polt the right word? I dunno anymore)

.357? I have all the components but haven't reloaded in years. I suppose I may buy a new machine one day, my ex sold mine to her cousin. I guess I got lucky that she only sold the reloading machine. All the rest of my stuff when there when she finally let me get my stuff last summer. DON'T COMMENT ON THIS PART, WE ARE NOT OFFICIALLY DIVORCED AND I HAVE NO TIME OR MONEY TO FIGHT THAT BATTLE UNTIL THIS HOUSE IS DONE, THANK YOU. I would sell my components but something keeps telling my my kids are gonna need it. Around here many people carry the .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, or .44 Magnum when they play in the hills or go hunting. Semi-autos are not ideal when it comes to mountain lions. Odds are the encounters are very rare but they do happen.

It might be an old wives tale, but I heard feeding them corn meal mush until they're almost grown makes the meat tender, all you need is some corn meal about to go bad and hot water.

Isn't ANYONE loading 357 ammo anymore.
I will have to keep an eye out. I haven't looked for 357 lately.

I wish I was there, I'd make a deal with some farmer to pay cash for about a ton of that wheat.
I would get some but its all GMO crap, they spray round up regularly.
Saw 3 fields i hadn't been paying attention to had been sprayed, probably over the weekend. Getting ready to plant corn.

Latest posts

Back