What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, time for my report.
Lots of chips are missing, notably Canadian products, most of which are better than ours. the Walmart
Pringles knock off are just SO much better as is the Ramen. a few kinds of soup are AWOL, as is my beloved Alfredo from Boyardee. a can of that on a turkey patty is a meal. my favorite sardines are gone everywhere and eggs are going up again, so no kippers and eggs omelette. Most of the good pasta is gone, so no routini-bean casserole, no Lipton onion soup to go in it either, no canned gravy but turkey. rice is a coin flip. the fresh veggies are well stocked, the meat dept is so-so. good luck on whole wheat crackers and specialty breads like sour dough and many spices are missing and I refuse to eat Chinese imported food and leery of Mexican. lots of beers are going missing, such as Amstel and Sam Addams
We're eat up with craft beers and the cheap crap that they brew just down the road. (butt geyser, nasty natural and its ice brewed bigger brothers nasty and nasty daddy!) Peanut butter abounds as does many dairy products, but this IS Georgia and pork is off the hook cheap THIS WEEK.

All this talk about foil made me remember this one deal I passed up. That was on March 17, a little over 2 months ago. The roll that was $3.97 at Walmart is now $4.98 there! :O
But anyhow, Amazon put the 130 sq. ft. heavy duty rolls of Reynold's Wrap on sale for $5 and change each a couple weeks ago so I ordered some of that.
They also had the regular (not heavy duty) 200 sq. ft. rolls for something crazy, I think it was $4.54 a roll, but I didn't order that one because I'm still working on a mega sized roll I got a few years ago, I think from Sam's.
The heavy duty kind can be washed and reused a lot more times also.

Attachments

• foil.jpg
    foil.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 3
All this talk about foil made me remember this one deal I passed up. That was on March 17, a little over 2 months ago. The roll that was $3.97 at Walmart is now $4.98 there! :O
But anyhow, Amazon put the 130 sq. ft. heavy duty rolls of Reynold's Wrap on sale for $5 and change each a couple weeks ago so I ordered some of that.
They also had the regular (not heavy duty) 200 sq. ft. rolls for something crazy, I think it was $4.54 a roll, but I didn't order that one because I'm still working on a mega sized roll I got a few years ago, I think from Sam's.
The heavy duty kind can be washed and reused a lot more times also.
Hmmm...

Can you wash aluminium foil in a dishwasher ?

Ben

rice is a coin flip.
I got a great deal on rice the other week - $2.99 for a 5lb bag. You know why it was that price? It was marked down because it had Uncle Ben's picture on it. :rolleyes: The "current" packaging (without Ben's picture) are running $9.95/5 lbs. I bought what was left and packed it for long-term storage.

Not sure but I have and do reuse vacuum sealer bags after washing and sanitizing in the dishwasher. Lose a couple inches of bag each time. Small ones end up with spices or various things. Foil might be cleanable and reusable. Never had the need to try.

Glad to know that works for you, @Guardian. I never feel like I get my used vacuum sealer bags clean enough - but I don't have a dishwasher currently (but I will when we move - yay!).
The big thing here has always been the disinfection since we have kids here daily. When the kids were our own there were plenty of dishwashers... :)

Read it on a forum and tried it and have been pleased with the results.

Hmmm...

Can you wash aluminium foil in a dishwasher ?

Ben
yes, if its the heavy stuff. getting it out after is the trick. if you don't weigh it down it moves, gets caught in the spray arm etc.

At the grocery store today I noticed that even with half the shelves gone the bread section was full of holes. The meat section was okay, except for the high prices and CHICKEN, the store have 6 whole chickens, chicken wings, and skinless breasts; but there were on bone-in-skin on thighs or drumsticks... what's with that are they growing legless chickens? As far a prices go the pork was okay, the beef was above $6/pound, and I got 1 fryer chicken $8. I looked at a porterhouse steak, but I just couldn't drop $25 for 1 steak.....

I did pick up some cream-of- soups, $2/can! And these aren't big cans just the regular 10oz cans..... And they didn't have a big supply of them either.....

Went to two stores today--Lidl and Stop&Shop. Both were loaded with food; very few, if any, bare spots. Lidl's had 6 boxes of angel hair pasta. That was it. No other pasta. Stop&Shop had a full area of pasta, although that area is half the size it used to be. Stop&Shop was loaded with eggs for $3.79 a dozen. Lidl was somewhat empty of eggs but I did get an 18-count for $2.38.

Hit W-mart this morning, they were well stocked with everything except MY SODA and flour.. I am to the point of not even looking at the prices (they get me upset), but hey if I can get what I need today I will find a way to be happy with that....

That's what my favorite cousin said when I took her to Walmart. She had not been in there for months and months. Usually she has her daughter pick up what she needs. I warned her about prices going up. And around here, the butter price is making all the ladies mad. So when she filled the cart, I asked her what she thought. She said she was not going to look at the price.

Latest posts

Back