What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I went to Aldi's for the first time in ages. (There isn't one near me, but had to run an errand in a town that does have one.)

There were no soft cheeses at all (ricotta, cottage cheese, cream cheese). No sour cream. There was a man who was very enthusiastic that they had eggs - so I guess that's hit or miss. On the other hand, the meat selection was fantastic. Produce was abundant, but it was more costly than I expected (same prices as Krogers).

Our Costco doesnt have any ricotta cheese and havent had it for months.
had to pick up 2 sm zucchinis at Aldis for a picnic yesterday and it was $5 for 2 small ones!
Zukes are usually free. If you leave your car unlocked while inside, someone will fill it with them before you get out of the store!

Last week I had to run to the store for an avocado for Hubby. Produce was pretty skimpy! Lots of empties and holes and what was there was single layer to look like more. Have to go tomorrow so will see.
Also, sorta a shortage, heard that many flights are being canceled because of shortage of workers in the airlines (like everywhere).

Produce is hit or miss in the stores in our bigger town. Husband wants to shop the Kroger Store tomorrow afternoon, to pick up a few sales and to pick the produce he likes. Hope he's not disappointed. Alot of times at the Kroger Store they don't have anymore of their sale stuff. We'll see tomorrow. I have a very specific list. The neighbor lady wants a driver to do a shopping marathon on Wednesday. So we'll go to Aldi first, then she wants to go to Goodwill next door. Then to lunch at Chic fil a, which she treats me to for volunteering to be her driver, then to Walmart. So I get to shop all the sales (ha ha). First we have to drop off two of her three kids to another neighbors for babysitting. She'll bring the baby with us. It'll be fun. I take her about every three weeks.
Avocados have been terribly priced here. $1.20 a piece, and they aren't that big. I splurged and got 3 last week for guacamole. I try to find sale produce for the dehydrator, but it gets harder and harder.

Today at Kroger there were no grapes and no berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) - they had the spots for them, but the spots were empty.

No ant baits. Some other insecticide-type stuff seemed bare. But I don't usually buy any of that, so I don't know if that's unusual, or just part of the season. Just dealing with an ant apocalypse and needed something.

Also noticed the baking aisle - which used to be a full aisle - is now almost half an aisle. And the flour (what there is of it) all expires in two months.

Left Kroger and drove down the road to Dollar General (still looking for ant baits). The back wall was almost entirely empty of paper products - really reminded me of the toilet paper shortages early on with covid. And some plastic bins that cost $4.50 last year are now almost $9 (although they had plenty).

Last edited:
every month about this time i start adding things to a walmart cart online for gorcery pickup. takes me a few days to fine tune the order and make sure i got all i want. this week after putting several things in for a pick up order ( date not set yet) i get an email from walmart saying they-advise i place my order asap to ensure i can get the items i want.

ive never got an email froim them like that before. guess its being kind as in buy your stuff NOW cause its gonna run out real soon. it just reminds me ofg what the guy loading my last order sai--get what you need now.

Last edited:
For the last couple months or so they have only had weird specialty flavours of refried beans. I think it is the same cans that nobody wants. it's just a dozen or two scattered around one area. It's not like one type is loaded and the next week another is loaded.

Went to the Kroger Store today just for the specials: pork butt, KC steaks, butter, ground turkey
Was not surprised to see the same cans of canned Roast Beef (Kroger brand, small cans) still on the shelf for $7.49 a piece. Was surprised to see the little cans of chicken go from a buck to $2.99 a piece. Pasta shelf was empty. Husband's irritaed that V8 is now a buck a can.

For the last couple months or so they have only had weird specialty flavours of refried beans. I think it is the same cans that nobody wants. it's just a dozen or two scattered around one area. It's not like one type is loaded and the next week another is loaded.
I only use Rosarita and Kroger brand. taco bell sucks.

I just found a can of Alfredo noodles in my cupboard, for a second It was like I'd found a 20$ bill!
I would horde favorites and basics if possible!

OK you happy shoppers, lets go Krogering!
Gas is now 4.00$ a gallon at their pumps.
Ravioli is still a buck a can as is their other canned pastas, STILL NO Alfredo!
Bread is still under 2$ a loaf for the store brands.
Cat and Dog food has almost doubled! 0_o
Most lunch meats are edging up, but not too bad.
Dairy products are about the same, eggs are up 25% from last month.
They do have baby formula it seems, but there was a crowd around it so it didn't stay I'm betting.
Rice, beans and most canned crap are higher, but not insanely so.
Sausage is CHEAP! I stocked up.
I forgot TP and towels again. TP, no problemo, but I need those towels!
Oh well, the dollar store has what I need.

Sam's Club.
Almost all bread items are marked out of stock or low in stock.
And here's ALL the frozen fruits and veggies they have. 7 items.
They usually have a BIG selection. That's where I get all my California Mix and Normandy mix and breaded okra and a bunch of other stuff.

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 5
  • veg.jpg
    veg.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
I found .357 magnum today, just FMJ, don't care.its the first I've seen through regular channels in a year!
I bought both boxes at 30$ each 22LR is back to 7.00 per 50 again and there are BUSHELS of AR 15 mags for sale as cheap as 10$ each!

Stocked up yesterday at WallyWorld, bought heaps of canned & dry goods. Some hoarders snaked all the Thai Jasmine rice in the yellow bags, but there was plenty of other rice left, so I bought two large bags. Everything else I needed was there, just at higher prices than usual. There were some holes on the shelves, probably due to the supply chain issue. I splurged on Red Apple Cheese and Kombucha drinks... smoked Gouda this time for the Red Apple treat. I like a bite of good cheese now and then, sometimes I'll wrap it in French bread with a small slice of real butter... almost like a meal. ;)

The Red Apple Cheese Company is based in Wisconsin... during my "trucking daze" I occasionally pulled a reefer wagon, and I remember visiting those dairies in Wisconsin to pick up loads. In those days (late '90s), the folks who worked on the docks would invite drivers into the break room, and tell 'em to take whatever they wanted out of the fridge. I'd open the fridge and the thing would be packed with milk, cheese, and other dairy products. Man, those products were so fresh and delicious, I'd gorge myself and wash everything down with an ultra-fresh quart of Dutch chocolate milk, lol. :)

I miss those days of hospitality... that hospitality still applies here, nobody ever leaves my home hungry. That has been my rule for decades, no need to stop now. Back in Coronado, when I was flush with money, my friends knew that whenever my truck was parked outside, they could stop by and be welcomed... I'd throw big BBQ bashes and whatnot, just as a way of acknowledging my friends and showing my thanks. Hey, all the free food & beer anyone could want... not an offer to be taken lightly, lol. Things are different nowadays, many of those friends I knew are now gone, or scattered to the winds. :confused:

I also bought some 'Ghost Pepper Cheddar' under another label, that stuff is pretty darned tasty! :)

I use regular cheese in sandwiches and burritos, but I like the specialty cheeses for those times when I wanna bite of something REALLY good, lol. ;)

Edit: When I lived in San Diego, I'd buy some smoked albacore from Point Loma Seafoods, then make small sandwiches out of it using bread, mayo, and Brie cheese... those mini-sammies were SO GOOD!!! :dancing:

One could also substitute cream cheese instead of Brie cheese, but I liked the Brie, lol... those mini-sammies were LOADED with calories, but anything that tastes THAT good HAS to be HEALTH FOOD, lol. :oops:

Last edited:
Is that the pink stuff? On a scale of 1-10 how hot is it? habenero cheddar didn't last long.
Would you believe I keep a series of "exotic" condiments to dip cheese bites in?

Nah, this is a white cheddar with red flecks of Ghost Pepper in it... it's not THAT hot, I'd rate it around a 7 or so, since they only use the peppers for flavor and not mondo heat, lol. It's pretty tasty though, the peppers leave a nice aftertaste if you're into hot & spicy foods, as I am. And yes, I believe you about the condiments, I often do the same thing on the spur of the moment, lol... more like experimentation than anything else, I'm always on the scout for good food combos, 10-4? :)

I like Worbel's horseradish and a mix of Texas Pete and generic sweet n sour sauce on sharp cheese, but on soft stuff, the chick fil a sauces are good. sometimes Jalapeno relish.

At the small local grocery store today, 5 dozen eggs went up to 19.99. Yikes..
Only a few baby formula cans
Rice o ronin boxes looked thinned out n baking items like cake boxes , oil, stuff like that.
Distilled water was pretty wiped out..n laundry soap area was thin.
Dressings, especially the ranch varieties and mayo were getting pretty low
There wernt too many bare spots but many items wernt real stocked up either.
I know they get inventory twice a week, monday n thursday..
Always interesting to shop now .

Interesting - I clicked on your link @joel and got $13.29. Is it because I’m in a different area, or did the orice go up just since you posted it? 🤔
Just for hits and giggles I clicked on the link and it said $11.55.

The shipping on that will be a head kicker! 🤪
I am not surprised, the wife bought two 60 ct of eggs in April & they where on sale for $7.00, but that mean they have went up after the sale priced egg where gone. At $20.00 with tax, that $4.00 a dozen, it is almost cheaper to grow your own!

@Magus the hot stuff might get in short supply on many levels as others turn to other sources for the heat.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/theres-now-sriracha-sauce-shortage

That's what dedicated sriracha eaters want to know now that the company who produces it, Huy Fong Foods, has been forced to suspend sales and production of the sauce, according to Yahoo.

In an email dating back to last month, the company told customers it was facing “a more severe shortage of chili” than the last one it faced in July 2020.

“Due to weather conditions affecting the quality of chili peppers, we now face a more severe shortage of chili. Unfortunately, this is out of our control, and without this essential ingredient, we are unable to produce any of our products,” the company wrote.

Those who haven't received confirmation for current orders will have to wait until September, the company said.

Latest posts

Back