What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was getting wings for around 8 dollars a pack a mere two years ago, now for the same size package 23 to 25 dollars. That's for about 20 wings.

Ribs are still high, but, I caught them on sale BOGO a few weeks ago and got two slabs for around 20 bucks. Still more than what I was paying, but I likes me baby backs.

I never go into Walgreens but had to get daughter a birthday card and score a couple bottles of T-gel shampoo that we both use.
I was amazed that most of the shelves were either empty, or only had one or 2 of something :oops:.
I know everything comes from multiple different sources, so it was our local person that was slacking, not supply-chain:mad:.
Anyway, I walked out with the only bottle of shampoo, leaving the rest of the city with NONE, because I am heartless and 👹.

A couple in particular in case you are in need of these things.
Lamp oil. I have some, but would pick some up every so often when I was at a store that had it. I finally found it and paid $36 for a gallon which is more expensive than I've ever paid. I also have kerosene but prefer lamp oil for indoors.
Also cream! I can only find the pints and no selection of brands. The fella at the grocery store said all dairy has been difficult to get and keep in stock. I did notice plenty of eggs, not sure of price as I didn't need any so didn't look. I know they've been an issue in some places.

Buddig beef...for our traditional Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast family breakfast on Christmas Morning. I understand it is a recipe from the Great Depression, but it has been modernized, and now requires a specific type of beef that my wife will be visiting multiple stores for tomorrow. (Several failed shopping expeditions already today.)

That is my wife's family's recipe. I brought a baked egg dish recipe from my family. We do both every Christmas morning. Funny to see the kids gravitate to one or the other.

Buddig beef...for our traditional Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast family breakfast on Christmas Morning. I understand it is a recipe from the Great Depression, but it has been modernized, and now requires a specific type of beef that my wife will be visiting multiple stores for tomorrow. (Several failed shopping expeditions already today.)

That is my wife's family's recipe. I brought a baked egg dish recipe from my family. We do both every Christmas morning. Funny to see the kids gravitate to one or the other.
I'd never heard of that - had to look it up.

Was shocked yesterday that the pasta aisle at our Walmart was almost bare. Don't know if they messed up stock levels or if it's an indicator of things to come, but it was eye opening. Local grocery store had full shelves of pasta, so who knows. Bought eggs for the 1st time in a while (lots of pumpkin pies to make) and was surprised that the cost between the pasture raised organic and the regular ones was less than a dollar a dozen...

SOS

Was shocked yesterday that the pasta aisle at our Walmart was almost bare. Don't know if they messed up stock levels or if it's an indicator of things to come, but it was eye opening. Local grocery store had full shelves of pasta, so who knows. Bought eggs for the 1st time in a while (lots of pumpkin pies to make) and was surprised that the cost between the pasture raised organic and the regular ones was less than a dollar a dozen...
Maybe all the preppers in Utah hit it hard!

That is such an easy prep to put up. I put mine in 5 gallon buckets with a gamma seal lid. The bucket holds 25 pounds. I left the spaghetti in the original packaging and stood it on end.
It really is an easy storage item, even the gluten free pasta we use has been fine well over the 3 years listed as the "expiration date" on the package. We rotate it out pretty lazily, but have definitely had some 7+ years with no issue :)

It really is an easy storage item, even the gluten free pasta we use has been fine well over the 3 years listed as the "expiration date" on the package. We rotate it out pretty lazily, but have definitely had some 7+ years with no issue :)
Pasta is a lifetime prep, like sugar, honey, wheat berries, etc.

I'm seeing so many complaints on social media about shortages of cold & flu meds, pics of empty shelves, they're talking about it in the news. Does nobody ever consider Amazon? That's where I get all mine.
Here are deals I found just in the last 4 days! I didn't buy any myself, I'm so well stocked up.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 0
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm seeing so many complaints on social media about shortages of cold & flu meds, pics of empty shelves, they're talking about it in the news. Does nobody ever consider Amazon? That's where I get all mine.
Here are deals I found just in the last 4 days! I didn't buy any myself, I'm so well stocked up.
I have become quite the internet shopper and I purchase a few items every week from Amazon. I really prefer to shop online now, because I can do it from the comfort of my home. I hate to shop in stores. I am so easily frustrated with how people act. I have a list, zip in and around and am out quickly, but other people, not so much and they create obstacles!

My daughter does her best to avoid Amazon, because Jeff Bezzos is wealthy enough.

Maybe I haven't been buying propane very often but our teenager and a buddy are living in our old motorhome and heating with a propane catalytic heater .

The price for filling a BBQ sized tank varies wildly just in our little town. With your own tank it can cost from 9 to 20$
if you want to trade a tank it is in the 20 to 30 dollar range.

If you want to buy a full tank it varies from $49.95 at our country market to $120 at a chain mini mart right on the freeway (which is also the turn off for the river and lakes).

Maybe I haven't been buying propane very often but our teenager and a buddy are living in our old motorhome and heating with a propane catalytic heater .

The price for filling a BBQ sized tank varies wildly just in our little town. With your own tank it can cost from 9 to 20$
if you want to trade a tank it is in the 20 to 30 dollar range.

If you want to buy a full tank it varies from $49.95 at our country market to $120 at a chain mini mart right on the freeway (which is also the turn off for the river and lakes).
Propane tank filling is weird. Many places charge a flat rate, whether you need a gallon or complete refill and as you say, prices are wonky. I prefer to go to the local farm store, TSC here, and get my own container refilled and pay for what is actually pumped. Not sure the current price per gallon.
I was lucky to pick up a 100 lb propane tank at the dump/ transfer station. There are usually a number of 30 lb tanks there that folks just don’t want anymore. Perfectly good tanks, just ‘spring cleaning’ time. Anyway, when the fuel company came to fill the big house tank, the guy was more than happy to fill the 100 lb tank and would have filled the little ones. Better than money in the bank, he says, because they’ll keep and not go bad.

Propane tank filling is weird. Many places charge a flat rate, whether you need a gallon or complete refill and as you say, prices are wonky. I prefer to go to the local farm store, TSC here, and get my own container refilled and pay for what is actually pumped. Not sure the current price per gallon.
I was lucky to pick up a 100 lb propane tank at the dump/ transfer station. There are usually a number of 30 lb tanks there that folks just don’t want anymore. Perfectly good tanks, just ‘spring cleaning’ time. Anyway, when the fuel company came to fill the big house tank, the guy was more than happy to fill the 100 lb tank and would have filled the little ones. Better than money in the bank, he says, because they’ll keep and not go bad.
What I know; We sell propane and tanks. Also fill them. Only the 20lb and 30lb. Tanks were $35.00 for a 20lb. Now, $58.00. Why? look around. We charge per gallon when filling motor-homes only. Why? because it takes an employee time and effort and takes that employee away from other services. 20lb have gone from $15 for years to $18 to now $21 per fill-up. Half full? then empty it before getting it filled. If thats an issue then contact those creating the issue as in most cases it has nothing to do with the retailers. WE do 100lb tanks too at $105. Take between 21.5 and 24 gallons. Yeah, pick them up and toss them in the back of a typical pickup at around 175+lb. Good part is that currently stock seems to be good but other than a few cold days it has not been too bad. If there is any confusion or questions I will try to answer with what bit of information as I know it.

I went to the local grocery store today and half of the egg cooler was completely empty. The cheapest eggs I saw were $5.19 for 18 organic eggs. There were only about 4 of those clear packages left on the shelf and the one on the top had at least one broken egg in it. I passed b/c I still have the dozen I bought last week.

Tons of things missing here. Storm of the century you know? :huh: Anyway, city north of us got some snow. Its not like it is anything new but commercial traffic was shut down on the thruway and has been for about 5 days. To me, commercial traffic should have continued and commuter traffic should have been routed to other roads. Different topic anyway but a foundation.

So tonight at the store I found little to no produce. Dairy and eggs mostly wiped out. There was a multitude of things missing from the shelves. They have distribution centers in the same locations we do for parts. With everything shut down inventories have been wiped out. On a positive note though, a young man of about 18 or so running a register in the local store seemed to get "it". We talked for a good while about current events, finances, government and the like. Seems some of the young ones see through the bs they have and are being spewed every day. Gave me a small bit of hope for the next generations. If things turn bad, within 3-5 days will be the window leading up to bad times it seems.

Back