"WHAT" will it take for you to "SHIFT into OVERDRIVE" and Floor-it.....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little late to the party but meh. I only started prepping about 10 years ago when a natural disaster smacked me in the face and showed me how unprepared I was. I vowed that day that I would never be caught off guard and helpless like that again.

Back then I used to talk to people about it and encourage them to do the same, but like others, I had a friend/coworker say to me "I'll just come to your place." I was speechless. Um, no, I'm not including your or anyone's families in my planning. I stopped talking about it after that, except to my immediate family (my dad jumped on board) and my two closest friends. I have fallen behind where I want to be and am working on catching up.

Another thing in my mind is that when it comes down to it, skills are just as important as preps. I've learned how to garden, can, forage (somewhat) and fish. The skills really helped to ease my mind a little.

I'd say most people just don't want to accept the possibility that things may not turn out alright so they just ignore it. And/or truly think the gov will provide, not realizing that the more people who think that way, the more strain it would put on any incoming help, IF help is even coming. Which I wouldn't count on.

One of my "facebook cover photos":
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.49.30 AM.png

Little late to the party but meh. I only started prepping about 10 years ago when a natural disaster smacked me in the face and showed me how unprepared I was. I vowed that day that I would never be caught off guard and helpless like that again.

Back then I used to talk to people about it and encourage them to do the same, but like others, I had a friend/coworker say to me "I'll just come to your place." I was speechless. Um, no, I'm not including your or anyone's families in my planning. I stopped talking about it after that, except to my immediate family (my dad jumped on board) and my two closest friends. I have fallen behind where I want to be and am working on catching up.

Another thing in my mind is that when it comes down to it, skills are just as important as preps. I've learned how to garden, can, forage (somewhat) and fish. The skills really helped to ease my mind a little.

I'd say most people just don't want to accept the possibility that things may not turn out alright so they just ignore it. And/or truly think the gov will provide, not realizing that the more people who think that way, the more strain it would put on any incoming help, IF help is even coming. Which I wouldn't count on.
One of my "facebook cover photos":
View attachment 87908
I just thought of this as I was reading these two posts: How long has Disney/media and politicians sold the "happily ever after" hoopla? They believe in fairytales.

Many of these fairy tales were written long before Disney.
Brothers grimm book published in 1812.
There always has been and always will be fairy tales and people that think they are true.
Nothing new under the sun.
I have the complete collection of Brothers Grimm.

Rapunzel is far from what Disney presented.

Ben

Many of these fairy tales were written long before Disney.
Brothers grimm book published in 1812.
There always has been and always will be fairy tales and people that think they are true.
Nothing new under the sun.
I have the complete collection of Brothers Grimm.

Rapunzel is far from what Disney presented.

Ben
Ben said it, but yes - many of the old "Fairy tales" did not have happy endings and many were along the lines of lessons or fables.

Ben said it, but yes - many of the old "Fairy tales" did not have happy endings and many were along the lines of lessons or fables.

The Frog and Scorpion is a classic of "sad" endings. My all-time favorite fable.

I was reading through blogs today that I have saved a list of. This was posted by an LDS woman from an LDS president, maybe in days gone by. This is not overdrive, this is pretty much how I worked preps over the years, a little here, a little there, until I had a week's worth, then two, on and on. I believe it is too late to do this, but those who have been preparing with food storage for a while have probably been working like this. I have also said that a 25 pound bag of rice or beans and other basics every month and it grows. In a year, two years, three years, you could be well stocked with foods. Now when things are outrageously priced, you can buy a little to fill the gaps.

"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. . .I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. . .Begin in a small way, … and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

I was reading through blogs today that I have saved a list of. This was posted by an LDS woman from an LDS president, maybe in days gone by. This is not overdrive, this is pretty much how I worked preps over the years, a little here, a little there, until I had a week's worth, then two, on and on. I believe it is too late to do this, but those who have been preparing with food storage for a while have probably been working like this. I have also said that a 25 pound bag of rice or beans and other basics every month and it grows. In a year, two years, three years, you could be well stocked with foods. Now when things are outrageously priced, you can buy a little to fill the gaps.

"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. . .I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. . .Begin in a small way, … and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)
I love this. It's so very true.

Sounds like Frugal Measures, Weedy. That's how I work my storage. Today's visit to the amish salvage store, I got what I went for, and then found a case of Frosted Flakes snack packs for 59 cents, and a case of Annie's cheesy rice mixes for 50 cents a box, and a case of Kraft mac and cheese, 50 cents a box. So of course, I got all that, too, and repackage it for storage. Have grandkids to feed you know. Don't need anything, really, but I get stuff when I see it, every time I go to the store. Fill the cart. Find good stuff.

I am doing what I have always done, if thing get out of control , we have a plan to pretty much isolate the ridge, interesting how many people are on board with the idea,

The mechanical meaning of overdrive is a gear with a ratio higher than engine speed....allowing you to cruise at high speed, while the engine runs at low RPM to conserve fuel.

I'd say, I'm already there. Too expensive to go to the 'next level' on anything currently, so I'm just cruising, in high gear....trying to keep myself entertained, and 'sane' enough so I'm ready to take advantage of the situation when the bubble bursts.

Of course, the clock is ticking. My household is now spending more money every month than it takes in. At this rate we hit bingo funds in about three years. Hopefully either the situation resolves, or ceases to matter before then.

Meanwhile, practicing plan B:

LeZlrTs.jpg

I try to be observant and what I see scares me... Here's what I see, random order....

The stock market has taken a 20% nose dive year to date and the "analysts" talk like they are trying to calm people to avoid panic
The lower Colorado basin is at a 50 year low and dropping, AZ and NV are taking hits to Agriculture, in July CA will join in, Everyone is saying we're fine
The UN says we are about to have a global famine and we are being told there may be some shortages but only minor inconveniences
There are still lots of COVID cases happening, but no one is reporting it because not as many are dying and we're tired of hearing about it
From an economic perspective it looks like we are reliving 1972, but it's only going to be temporary
Gas prices, well we all know where that's going..
Energy - We're pushing for the GREEN DEAL so fast that no one is talking about those cloudy winter days when it doesn't work
And Food plants across the country are shutting down or spontaneously combusting, but it's only a local event
And social unrest, it feels like there is a lot of anger and fear building just below the surface, but the reporting is focused on a few fringe white guys
And don't get me started on Global discord and positioning for WWIII....

I may be looking at this from a glass half empty perspective but it seems like there is no peace or place to turn to feel secure. As for Shifting into overdrive, well I'm just digging in and trying to keep my head down because when people do start to panic it will be like a spark in a tender box....

I love everything you said. I graduated from high school in 73 and before that, in 72 it (hard life) hit really hard. Everyone forgets about the wage price freezes. Gas was sky high. Our first house in 1980 was at a 13% interest rate.
I try to be observant and what I see scares me... Here's what I see, random order....

The stock market has taken a 20% nose dive year to date and the "analysts" talk like they are trying to calm people to avoid panic
The lower Colorado basin is at a 50 year low and dropping, AZ and NV are taking hits to Agriculture, in July CA will join in, Everyone is saying we're fine
The UN says we are about to have a global famine and we are being told there may be some shortages but only minor inconveniences
There are still lots of COVID cases happening, but no one is reporting it because not as many are dying and we're tired of hearing about it
From an economic perspective it looks like we are reliving 1972, but it's only going to be temporary
Gas prices, well we all know where that's going..
Energy - We're pushing for the GREEN DEAL so fast that no one is talking about those cloudy winter days when it doesn't work
And Food plants across the country are shutting down or spontaneously combusting, but it's only a local event
And social unrest, it feels like there is a lot of anger and fear building just below the surface, but the reporting is focused on a few fringe white guys
And don't get me started on Global discord and positioning for WWIII....

I may be looking at this from a glass half empty perspective but it seems like there is no peace or place to turn to feel secure. As for Shifting into overdrive, well I'm just digging in and trying to keep my head down because when people do start to panic it will be like a spark in a tender box....

The mechanical meaning of overdrive is a gear with a ratio higher than engine speed....allowing you to cruise at high speed, while the engine runs at low RPM to conserve fuel.

I'd say, I'm already there. Too expensive to go to the 'next level' on anything currently, so I'm just cruising, in high gear....trying to keep myself entertained, and 'sane' enough so I'm ready to take advantage of the situation when the bubble bursts.

Of course, the clock is ticking. My household is now spending more money every month than it takes in. At this rate we hit bingo funds in about three years. Hopefully either the situation resolves, or ceases to matter before then.

Meanwhile, practicing plan B:

LeZlrTs.jpg
Nice to see you back again.

Ben

i see all kinds of next level stuff going.one family member just went and got a new disc mower and a new new holland round baler. he is getting rid of worthless dollars and getting nice new equipment to use way into future.nice to be debt free and pay cash for stuff all the time.

i see farmers doing all kinds of next level stuff. pulling old equipment out they use to use and putting it back into service.its turned out some things are now much cheaper for them to do themselves than just purchase certain things. especially seed.

gardens are up and going in my area.

production of everything is in full swing..roads full of tractors and some log trucks!

6 month wait to get logs sawn too.

rural economy is going along...with pain in fuel dept though.

As for Shifting into overdrive, well I'm just digging in and trying to keep my head down because when people do start to panic it will be like a spark in a tender box....

Right there with ya. We are super focused on "us" right now, and a little communication with immediate neighbors (all 2 of them), and that is it! We stay home out of the fray other than a doc appointment or going for supplies.

The UNBUTCHERED Lyrics.

"Danger Zone"

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

Highway to the danger zone
Ride into the danger zone

Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the deck
And shovin' into overdrive

I'll take you
Right into the danger zone

They never say "Hello" to you
Until you get it on the red-line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go

Out along the edge
Is always where I burn to be
The further on the edge
The hotter the intensity

I'm gonna take you
Right into the danger zone
Ride into the danger zone

I feel like I have been on that highway my whole life. I don't need an incentive or any motivation to get me there. I know we are all like minded, and treat prepping as a lifestyle, with varying levels of spousal approval and participation. My wife has always been supportive, but it has always been (insert eyeroll) "Dad's Hobby". They don't seem to realize they will be the beneficiaries of Dad's Hobby. I find it very comforting/satisfying when my wife asks "Do we have this (whatever it might be)?" Yes we do. Yes, I already got that. Yes, I thought of that. I have yet to have her ask a question that I have overlooked.

We don't talk about it with anybody. There are a few family members who know we prep, but nobody knows what we have. I really don't encourage others to prep. If it comes up in conversation I will explain the advantages, but I don't like to be preached to, so I don't preach to others. Seems like trying to convince people makes it almost like a religion. IMHO it is the logical, sensible thing to do. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch the news, and see people suffering from disasters. Do you want to be one of those, or do you want to be prepared?

Last edited:
I feel like I have been on that highway my whole life. I don't need an incentive or any motivation to get me there. I know we are all like minded, and treat prepping as a lifestyle, with varying levels of spousal approval and participation. My wife has always been supportive, but it has always been (insert eyeroll) "Dad's Hobby". They don't seem to realize they will be the beneficiaries of Dad's Hobby. I find it very comforting/satisfying when my wife asks "Do we have this (whatever it might be)?" Yes we do. Yes, I already got that. Yes, I thought of that. I have yet to have her ask a question that I have overlooked.

We don't talk about it with anybody. There are a few family members who know we prep, but nobody knows what we have. I really don't encourage others to prep. If it comes up in conversation I will explain the advantages, but I don't like to be preached to, so I don't preach to others. Seems like trying to convince people makes it almost like a religion. IMHO it is the logical, sensible thing to do. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch the news, and see people suffering from disasters. Do you want to be one of those, or do you want to be prepared?
This sounds similar to Hubby and me. He's never minded that I "stock up" on things but hasn't taken part and occasionally asks if we have this or that. It's often the other way around and I will ask him how much of something he has so I can plan accordingly. I think there was a point when he thought I was a little off my rocker, but he never said so and is now grateful and encouraging. He doesn't shop very often so it takes him looking for something and not being able to source it for him to realize what I deal with daily.

masters grind for self sufficiency.

a pile of food and gear (no matter how large) is temporary.

skills are what will last. gardening, canning, hunting, raising meat, crafts, and trades are whats gonna get people through hard times.

your great grandparents didnt buy a bunch of stuff, they PRODUCED it and traded for it. they knew when to plant, how to trap, how to hunt and how to raise meat.

knowing this, if your homestead is up and running the list of things you "need" dwindles.

masters grind for self sufficiency.

a pile of food and gear (no matter how large) is temporary.

skills are what will last. gardening, canning, hunting, raising meat, crafts, and trades are whats gonna get people through hard times.

your great grandparents didnt buy a bunch of stuff, they PRODUCED it and traded for it. they knew when to plant, how to trap, how to hunt and how to raise meat.

knowing this, if your homestead is up and running the list of things you "need" dwindles.

In survivalism, whenever the question of "should I do A or B" arises, the correct answer is almost always...both.

That is never more true than when the question is "should I store material resources/preps or should I gather skills".

Genuine 100% self sufficiency is extremely hard to attain and most people will never see someone actually living that way (let alone get anywhere near that themselves.

But even if you did get there, that self sufficiency will depend upon a fragile set of conditions staying the same as they were while you got that system setup. Most significant among those conditions would be weather and security.

If the weather changes profoundly (be it a drought, flood, cold or hot time or some catastrophe like a volcanic eruption that decrease solar radiation, then that system of self sufficiency will almost certainly fail.

If the rule of law is suddenly gone, and you are the only one around who is producing enough food, then operation of your 100% self sufficient system will become extremely risky and hard to sustain (without a decent sized team of hard people to watch your back 24/7). If you did have such a team, then you would need to able to feed them too - and most such food systems cannot just suddenly scale up production by several hundred percent.

The idea that skills are enough and preps are "temporary" is both seductive and comforting for those that:
  • Actually think they are or can become 100% self sufficient
  • Don't have money for preps or don't want to spend the money they have on preps
  • Find the idea of self sufficiency romantic - and think "I wont need preps because I have skills"
  • Think that people in the past were 100% self sufficient when they were in reality not
  • Underestimate the severity of security threats because normalcy bias prevents them from comprehending how violent "normal people" do become when they get hungry and when the rule of law is gone
  • Overestimate how remote the place they live is, and assess that "no one will come for me here" or "folks around here are good people and will look out for each other" - again those assessments are mostly borne of normalcy bias
  • Underestimate the probability of crises for which the only survivable course or action is to leave and never come back - a 100% self sufficient food producing system counts for nothing if you have to leave it behind. If you don't think that such crises occur, six million jews, who didn't leave Europe when they could of, beg to differ.......history is full of crises that required people to leave or die
  • Want a cop out that means they don't need to prep (which is hard and expensive)
Survivalists should stay anchored in the real world (and look at it without the filter of normalcy bias)......and the real world is that you need material gear/supplies and skills.

In a very severe crisis, you wont make it without both.

You may not make it anyway, but as I always say to people who want to throw in the towel before they even try, "Please excuse me if I insist upon giving it a try".

Latest posts

Back