What will the unprepared consume when the recession kicks in?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What will the unprepared consume when the recession kicks in?

Each other.........

Tuesday is soylent green day.

Survivalists should be students of history - almost all the threats that average people think we are crazy for contemplating, have happened before.

Ditto that.

Part of the motivation for starting this thread.

Edit

I want to be ready to redeploy investments at th first sign of a depression. When I researched what made money in the great depression, liquor was one area.

Ben

Last edited:
Ditto that.

Edit

I want to be ready to redeploy investments at th first sign of a depression. When I researched what made money in the great depression, liquor was one area.
You are right on the money. :thumbs:
The 'smart people' are already crying big tears because "growth stocks" (big tech) went down and stayed down.:cry:
At least 2 hedge funds have already gone bankrupt.
If/when things go downhill, buying a new PC, or the latest $1,000 smartphone, etc, gets yanked off the table fast.:oops:
Having food on it becomes important.;)

Last edited:
You are right on the money. :thumbs:
The 'smart people' are already crying big tears because "growth stocks" (big tech) went down and stayed down.:cry:
At least 2 hedge funds have already gone bankrupt.
If/when things go downhill, buying a new PC, or the latest $1,000 smartphone, etc, gets yanked off the table fast.:oops:
Having food on it becomes important.;)
I like your your pragmatic posts.

Ben

Last edited:
Ditto that.

Edit

Ben
I agree you do, Liquor will be a commodity. It has been un earthed in archology sites more right beside grain and gold. I suggest you look into building distilling apparatus .that is the easy part. learning how to make a palatable wee drop is the learning curve. seek out a 15 gallon SS beer keg and a 7 gallon SS pony keg, the journey starts their
of course, In these modern times they are electric so hiding in the woods is not a thing. put it in the basement

View attachment 87894
I saw this in Washington state or it might have been Vermont, I forget

View attachment 87893

Ditto that.

Edit
On topic: People will always consume kilowatts.
I don't offer advice, but I can toss out a tip.;)
One of my favorite stocks (that I own a bunch of) has been unexpectedly put on sale.:oops:
I researched it and evidently the greenies have gone after it for spreading 'misinformation' about their carbon-footprint.:rolleyes:
Any sane investor that knows about the deep-south, and what time of year we are heading into, knows they are about to have millions of huge checks coming in as people pay the largest electric bills of the year trying to survive the heatgaah.
Screenshot_20220614-141245.png

This happens, like NEVER!
Screenshot_20220614-143950.png

(dividend yield is now 4%) ;)

Last edited:
Look up my PDF by Kurt Saxxon the poor man's James Bond. he has a recipe in there for rohypnol, AKA roofies/ date rape drug. great tranquilizer for pulling teeth, re setting a broken bone or just getting plain old crap-face wasted on. sure to be a big seller!

On topic: People will always consume kilowatts.
I don't offer advice, but I can toss out a tip.;)
One of my favorite stocks (that I own a bunch of) has been unexpectedly put on sale.:oops:

(dividend yield is now 4%) ;)
SO's dividend yield now at 4.17%.
XOM's dividend yield now at 4.09%.
Anybody that doesn't know where those billion$ went that people have dumped at the gas pumps from outrageous prices, needs to study more. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Okay this is coming out of left field but I was policing my yard before mowing and a receipt blew to my feet. It was from one of my neighbors who does landscaping and I'm pretty sure their on food stamps (cause another receipt I found from them had EBT on it). Back to relevance, the 2 receipts together paint a pretty clear picture: Raman noodles (or cup of noodles), cheap chips/fuffs, hard candy, and feminine products.

As I thought about this while mowing the lawn I remembered the scene from Grapes of Wrath where the family was at the restaurant/store trying to buy a loaf of bread, before they left the kids saw the display of hard candy display and the dad spent precious money on that candy. The store owner gave him a big price break on it but my point is obvious. People will spend hard earned money to keep their kids happy....

To a point.
When I was a kid, you ate what was on the plate or you didn't eat.
good thing good cooks run in my family!

<---70's super recession/gas shortage kid.

To a point.
When I was a kid, you ate what was on the plate or you didn't eat.
good thing good cooks run in my family!

<---70's super recession/gas shortage kid.
Grew up the same way. You ate what Mom put out or you didn‘t eat. she also didn’t let any of us choose what the meal was going to be. Only time I ever remember her making two different things for supper, was when she made liver and onions for my father and oldest brother and lasagna for me her and my other brother.

Last edited:
When your hungry, nothing wrong with a menew stew. I try to cook the ones without a collar and never one with a name tag.
Kinda funny now, but when I first started at work a bunch of us were talking at break. I made a smart remark about cats being better smoked and with BBQ sauce. One lady went nuts :p . Turns out she became my step-sister in law.:brewing:

I'm waiting for the nutria to make it this far north, some south American walk in has bound to have a recipe! until then, its groundhog stew!

SO's dividend yield now at 4.17%.
XOM's dividend yield now at 4.09%.
Altria Group dividend yield now at 8.66%. (yes, they pay me like clockwork:).)
  • OPEN $45.28
  • DAY RANGE 41.00 - 45.28
  • 52 WEEK RANGE 41.00 - 57.05
  • MARKET CAP $82.74B
  • SHARES OUTSTANDING1.81B
  • PUBLIC FLOATN/A
  • BETA 0.60
  • REV. PER EMPLOYEE $3.508M
  • P/E RATIO 25.31
  • EPS $1.64
  • YIELD 8.66%
  • DIVIDEND $0.90
  • EX-DIVIDEND DATEJun 14, 2022
Yes, this is on topic with Ben looking at consumption after a recession starts.

Last edited:
Altria Group dividend yield now at 8.66%. (yes, they pay me like clockwork:).)
  • OPEN $45.28
  • DAY RANGE 41.00 - 45.28
  • 52 WEEK RANGE 41.00 - 57.05
  • MARKET CAP $82.74B
  • SHARES OUTSTANDING1.81B
  • PUBLIC FLOATN/A
  • BETA 0.60
  • REV. PER EMPLOYEE $3.508M
  • P/E RATIO 25.31
  • EPS $1.64
  • YIELD 8.66%
  • DIVIDEND $0.90
  • EX-DIVIDEND DATEJun 14, 2022
Yes, this is on topic with Ben looking at consumption after a recession starts.

Yup.

Tobacco.

Ben

i read an article some time back aobut our great depression era--says for many it was way worse than pictured, over 1 million americans starved to death during that time frame. i suspect the same will happen now and worse as so few todayt know basic skills to take care of themselves.

Grew up the same way. You ate what Mom put out or you didn‘t eat. she also didn’t let any of us choose what the meal was going to be. Only time I ever remember her making two different things for supper, was when she made liver and onions for my father and oldest brother and lasagna for me her and my other brother.
We got to choose what supper would be on our birthday, otherwise no say.
i read an article some time back aobut our great depression era--says for many it was way worse than pictured, over 1 million americans starved to death during that time frame. i suspect the same will happen now and worse as so few todayt know basic skills to take care of themselves.
And so many now medically dependent and/or obese.

Latest posts

Back