What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on your area you can get plenty of calories without planting and growing a garden. Dandelions have a bunch of caloies if you include the flowers and the root. There are plenty of similar food plants throughout the cascades and down in the valleys. Add to that the small game and fish and you can live quite well as a hunter gatherer. I choose my first choice as that of a rancher-farmer but I will want to harvest fish locally too. This life is not much easier than that of a hunter gatherer but I get a nice bath and a comfortable bed at the end of each day. I do like my comforts :)

Last edited:

That's a good activity, Elkhound, what is growing 3.5 miles around you. I'm smack in the middle of enough I think. We have garden veg, rabbit, turkey, chicken, eggs from those, dandelion. a few fruit trees, berries, grapes. Crops within 3.5 miles: winter wheat (hard red) corn, soybean, milo, sunflower,white/brown wheat. My cousin is a beekeeper (actually 4 miles away). Within the three blocks are milk cows, meat cows, goat, and sheep.

That's a good activity, Elkhound, what is growing 3.5 miles around you. I'm smack in the middle of enough I think. We have garden veg, rabbit, turkey, chicken, eggs from those, dandelion. a few fruit trees, berries, grapes. Crops within 3.5 miles: winter wheat (hard red) corn, soybean, milo, sunflower,white/brown wheat. My cousin is a beekeeper (actually 4 miles away). Within the three blocks are milk cows, meat cows, goat, and sheep.

the reason i give 3-5 miles is thats about how it was,at least in my area from little country store to next one back in the day. the few things people need and want could be had there and its about all the distance the average person would,could,wanted to travel by foot and get back home carrying items or being back by dark.when fuel gets scarce or way to expensive..its by foot or bicycle. my amish travel a bit farther by horse and buggy but i see them on foot not many miles but up to 10 on bicycle and farther by buggy. anything over 15ish i see them getting english to drive them.

Pretty much the same here, although tractors towing horse trailers are used alot (except on Sunday, it's strictly horse and buggy). I do see tractor and horse trailer going to Walmart that is 14 miles out, but otherwise they hire a driver. Sometimes I drive for my neighbors or my cousins. My cousin Harry is really old school Old Order, and he does not use a tractor on the road, ever. He used to do the horse and buggy ride into the bigger town, but he's in his 70's now, and the horse gets anxious in traffic. So he shops at our little local amish store, and hires a driver once a month to go into the bigger area. Sometimes he goes with us when we're running errands. Not too many bikes around here, but I know some communities see alot. I've got a three wheel bike with two baskets in case I can't get gas. If we're rationing, I drive the Ranger side by side to our town little store.

note this is original Rutgers tomato.its a determinate.theres other Rutgers out there that are now indeterminate type.rutgers and rutgers improved are determinate but rutgers select is indeterminate.

73 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. This early maturing plant produces high yields of 6 to 12 oz bright red tomatoes. They are sweet and flavorful. Perfect for salads, slicing, sandwiches, and canning. It is a cross between a J.T.D. (an old New Jersey variety from the Campbell Soup Company) and a Marglobe. Crack-Resistant. An excellent choice for home gardens, market growers, and open field production. An heirloom variety was developed in 1934 by the New Jersey Experimental Station, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA. United States Department of Agriculture, PI 270209. Disease Resistant: V, F, A, St. Determinate.

they made a f1 hybrid tomato and then grew it out till stable.
I remember when Rutgers was working on getting that tomato back. They actually were working on two at that time--I can't remember the other one but it's name also began with an R. They would have plant giveaways. All you had to do was go there and they'd give you several plants. My cousin picked me up a couple. Didn't get to save any seed--Dad ate them all. LOL

I grew Rutgers last year (and Early Girl, and a cherry tomato). I bought seeds for Mortgage Lifter this year. Our son grows them every year.
See what you think of the mortgage lifters - we grew them and bobcats 2 years ago. Everyone who tried them preferred the bobcats. We are growing delicious this year. They are as the name states :)

See what you think of the mortgage lifters - we grew them and bobcats 2 years ago. Everyone who tried them preferred the bobcats. We are growing delicious this year. They are as the name states :)
whats a bobcat..never heard of them...source please.

It can take as long as three years to return old farmland to fertile soil but it is well worth the work.

I was going to try to refrain from 'preaching' but as a Bible student the above quote just reminded me of the following verses. This post isn't a condemnation to any poster here, just an observation that you say it can take as long as 3 years to restore fertility to the soil and the Great Tribulation is 3.5 years long.

Jeremiah 34:17 "Therefore thus saith the LORD; Ye have not hearkened unto me, in proclaiming liberty, every one to his brother, and every man to his neighbour: behold, I proclaim a liberty for you, saith the LORD, to the sword, to the pestilence, and to the famine; and I will make you to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth."

Leviticus 26:32 "And I will lay waste the land, so that your enemies who dwell in it will be appalled. But I will scatter you among the nations and will draw out a sword after you as your land becomes desolate and your cities are laid waste. Then the land shall enjoy its Sabbaths all the days it lies desolate, while you are in the land of your enemies. At that time the land will rest and enjoy its Sabbaths. As long as it lies desolate, the land will have the rest it did not receive during the Sabbaths when you lived in it."

Daniel 12:7 "And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished."

The whole world has not obeyed God's laws to let the land rest, and I find it so interesting all these agricultural problems are happening in the Shemitah year when the land is suppose to rest. And it terrifies me a little because God's punishments are to the sword; to the pestilence; to the famine; and to the captivity.

We've got a lot more problems headed our way if we, as individuals and as a nation, don't repent.

Last edited:
Here are some of today's finds for that 8% inflation we're having
-
Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa, 15.5 Ounce Jar
Walmart:
$3.44 January 31, 2022
$4.48 March 25, 2022
-
Quaker Instant Oatmeal, 20 count
Various flavors of single serve pouches
Walmart:
$4.93 December 31, 2021
$6.32 March 25, 2022

I like mathing. Let's calculate

-
Walmart:
$3.44 January 31, 2022
$4.48 March 25, 2022

30%

Dang and I like Tostito's brand salsa and cheese dip. I noticed they went up in price near me as well.

-
Walmart:
$4.93 December 31, 2021
$6.32 March 25, 2022

28%

Last edited:
Wow, I can still get 10 ct oatmeal pkts for $1.25 at our local place. That would be $2.50 for 20 ct. I have alot of those pkts stored. The grandkids like them.

Quaker always seemed overpriced to me. But they had some good high protein banana ones that I loved getting.

Wow, I can still get 10 ct oatmeal pkts for $1.25 at our local place. That would be $2.50 for 20 ct. I have alot of those pkts stored. The grandkids like them.
Is that the store brand? I have never ever liked oatmeal so I don't buy it. My mother would make oatmeal for breakfast and everyone would eat it except me. She would try everything to make me eat it, but it makes me gag. I would just eat a couple slices of toast on those mornings.

Dang and I like Tostito's brand salsa and cheese deep. I noticed they went up in price near me as well.

The deal I posted today:
Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa, 15.5 Ounce Jar, Pack of 4
$9.05, that's $2.26 each

Sometimes they have the cheese ones on sale, I might get some next time.

Then there was this deal the other day.

Fritos Dip Variety Pack, 9oz, Pack of 4 Cans
2 each Bean & Jalapeno Cheddar
$8.12 - that's $2.03 each (compared to $3.27 each at Walmart).

I really wanted those, but I wasn't willing to pay that much. You could open a can of each and make some quick burritos. If they ever come up 50 cents each or something I'd be all over them lol.
And they very well may come up that cheap, I find those 75% or 80% off deals a few times a week. I post them in my discussion group, not the deals page, because that's where people will see them before they're gone, which is usually extremely fast. If it's something I don't want for myself, I get it for donating. Like the 12 boxes of Tuna Helper I ordered this morning for $4.94 . It's not something I use. Yuck. I like making a great big batch of my own with healthy ingredients, then freeze a bunch of meal size portions.

@ladycat

Would you be willing to post some of your deals in the Deals thread on here? I don't have Facebook otherwise I'd follow you there but I hate FB and have boycotted it.

I added the Salsa dip to my cart, b y the way. :D That's a good deal. I'm hoping to make some of my own salsa next year ^.^

@ladycat

Would you be willing to post some of your deals in the Deals thread on here? I don't have Facebook otherwise I'd follow you there but I hate FB and have boycotted it.
I work my butt off finding and posting deals, and I can't post affiliate links here in the forum, that would be against Amazon rules (and maybe the forum rules, I don't know). I'm time strapped and I just can't squeeze in the time to post links that I'm not going to make anything from.
I'm trying so hard to build up my following on Facebook so I can start making decent money, and that's where all my time is going.
I have a corner of my roof collapsing (with - so far- two large unwanted skylights), holes in the floor, no furniture, and I desperately need some plumbing and electrical work done.
I have to continue putting my time into posting deals where I can make affiliate commissions. Right now Facebook is my only option.

-
Walmart:
$3.44 January 31, 2022
$4.48 March 25, 2022
-
Walmart:
$4.93 December 31, 2021
$6.32 March 25, 2022

50# old fashioned rolled oats...$26
50# quick oats...$26

as of 2 weeks ago in my area.

50# old fashioned rolled oats...$26
50# quick oats...$26

as of 2 weeks ago in my area.
I post only a few of those bulk deals here and there because most people won't buy them like that (a few do). That's how I buy a lot of my own bulks, depending on what it is, because I'm only one person and I just don't use them up fast enough.
25# of short or medium brown rice, yes, because I use a lot.
25# or 50# of pasta or flour no, because I use them up too slow. 5# or 10# works for me.
Most people like the prepackaged stuff with the pretty graphics. Those are the people who will be hurting the most when things go south.

Some more examples of that 8% inflation

The Fiesta brand of ground turkey that I get from Walmart in 1# chubs:
The price has gone from $1.48 to $1.66 to $1.82 to $2.10 in just a few months.

In a FB group I'm in, people were talking about the cost of Kroger's own store brand of canned beans.
In a few months time, the price has gone from 59¢ to 79¢ to 89¢ and now they're $1.

Sometime since January 9, Walmart's price on Rotel went from 98¢ a can to $1.24 (!)

Other drastic increases I've seen in the last couple weeks are on cereal and trash bags. (and more! It's hard to keep up, the price increases have accelerated since the first of the year!)

Another thing I'm noticing, Walmart's grocery prices are going up faster than Amazon, so what happens is, Walmart goes up on something, and Amazon still has Walmart's old price, plus, Amazon will also have a coupon + the S&S discount, making Amazon WAY cheaper. In many cases less than half of Walmart's current price.

That makes me happy to see, but I doubt that situation will last long, as Amazon raises prices to keep pace with Walmart.

I will watch the rock bottom deals at Amazon while I can to fill any holes in my preps. I don't need very much, just a few odds and ends. I'm well stocked up on most items.
Wal*Mart prices here haven't gone up here as much as you're claiming.
Rotel is still 98 cents.
Store brand is still 54 cents, I know this cause I just bought a case of 12.
Prices vary according the region your reside.
Aldi's version of "Chex" cereal last week was $1.25
And trust me I shop where I get the best price for my money.

Last edited:
skip first part of him ranting on copyright stuff...inflation stuff after that.

Rotel is still 98 cents.
Aldi's version of "Chex" cereal last week was $1.25
And trust I shop where I get the best price for my money.

Milk at the Wal Mart near us has gone from $2.74 a gallon to $3.18 a gallon. Prices went from $2.74 to $2.99 to $3.10 to $3.18. All of the other major retailers in the area stayed at $2.99. Time for us to make a change.

Seems like Aldi has the best prices in this area.

Rotel is still 98 cents.

You're lucky.
And I do have this line in my disclaimers re: the store price comparisons in my tutorials.

Walmart Grocery shows me the prices and availability for the Walmart stores in *MY* area. You may have different results in your area.

Attachments

• gv.jpg
    gv.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 6
  • rotel.jpg
    rotel.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 6
Milk at the Wal Mart near us has gone from $2.74 a gallon to $3.18 a gallon. Prices went from $2.74 to $2.99 to $3.10 to $3.18. All of the other major retailers in the area stayed at $2.99. Time for us to make a change.

Seems like Aldi has the best prices in this area.
Like I said; I shop where I can get the best deal for my budget.
Only thing I purchase on recurring basis at Wal*Mart is prepaid phone card, money order, mushrooms.
Dad's Pepsi.
I have an medium size Aldi north of me.
When I go there, I also go VA clinic in that town for blood work.
Wla*Mart is across the highway.
I have a huge Aldi in next county across the river.
That Aldi sits right next door to Wal*Mart.
That's a college town.
I have access to Costco, Sam's club, Amazon through my sons.
But I rather shop locally to the "Mom and Pop" stores when possible.
Again local "Mom and Pop" store across the river gives me a discount of $10 every week for every $50 I spend in their store. Too me that's a good deal.

Latest posts

Back