What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My oldest boy is currently canning 14 lbs of beef and 12 lbs of pork roasts in pints. He starts a new job at the end of the month on a trail crew and will be living in a town with almost no services and no groceries. The power can be sketchy also so expensive meats are safest in jars and easier to make into his favorite food group of tacos🤣. He will probably be home on most of his days off at first since we are only about an hour and half away and he can grocery shop in the basement and garden and do laundry.

IMG_3206.jpeg
His finished product. 15 pints of pork and 17 pints of beef. This was the first pressure canning operation he has done by himself. He has done a ton of waterbath/steam canning on his own but the pressure canner hasn’t really been a thing because I usually do it at night just before bed so I am not tempted to open it too quickly and end up with siphoning. I have worked hard to teach both boys how to be self sufficient before they get turned out into the wild. I think this may be an indication that I may be on the right track.

Trivia...
At one time I had a wife that was as skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable as any degreed master canner, preserver.. In that area she was quite the ..go to.. person for information and all manor of help with canning, preserving.. So, I have seen how valuable a good mentor is in how fast and well people learn, use and retain skills...

During covid, when jars, lids and other consumable supplies were short, expensive, and hard to obtain.. The reusable lids, seals became more popular as they were more obtainable at the time.. She counseled, and was a valuable trouble shooter for many on using these products to good success..

Trivia...
At one time I had a wife that was as skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable as any degreed master canner, preserver.. In that area she was quite the ..go to.. person for information and all manor of help with canning, preserving.. So, I have seen how valuable a good mentor is in how fast and well people learn, use and retain skills...

During covid, when jars, lids and other consumable supplies were short, expensive, and hard to obtain.. The reusable lids, seals became more popular as they were more obtainable at the time.. She counseled, and was a valuable trouble shooter for many on using these products to good success..
I got a bunch of reusable lids and once I got the lid tool, they work well.

Latest posts

Back