What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold day, started at 14 degrees.

Found out that one of the victims of the shooting spree on Monday was the daughter of a former colleague. Both deceased mom and now deceased daughter were dark and negative people. Lots of texts and PM's today, taking us back to the days of working in that hell hole with a manipulative administrator who knew she had a pedophile on staff but did nothing. After he was arrested, she had the audacity to lie and say she didn't know, when multiple people had reported it to her and she did nothing. She cried and pretended not to know anything, and we all knew she did. It is hard to work in places where people lie and manipulate and you have no defense except to find a new job.

Weedy, that is sad, but I can't say I'm surprised. My brother had supervisors who protected employees who stole from the places they worked and who harassed other employees and even customers.

My friend was just complaining about on of his co-workers who "can't tell the truth to save his life". Said the guy lies about EVERYTHING. Big or small. Lies about things that don't even matter. He has no idea why, but the guy can't let the truth slip from his mouth.

My thoughts on neighbors:
1640844706196.png
1640844786050.png
1640844737811.png

I might be a tad bit antisocial. :p

Errands in the city today, one of them to pick up mom and take her for ice cream. She has been on a calling me constantly thing since Christmas. Said she didn't like Christmas and I shouldn't of bothered. Ha Ha. She complains about being bored constantly and wants to know why I don't come over and entertain her. So ice cream this afternoon at Braums will have to do. I have been encouraging her to participate in the social stuff at the assisted living place where she lives, but she doesn't want to. Granddaughter has a bad cold, grandson has work today. Housework and laundry are caught up, so a good day to go out before the cold and snow hit tomorrow.

Today I ran errands, picked up groceries for up coming New Year's evening fun.

Doing some laundry the morning,
Will mind the garden a little (it has been warm and raining so I opened up thing to let the rain in).
This afternoon I plan to go for a walk in the country

My brother woke me up asking where Namir was (the doors to the front room won't stay closed even with a latch) so he keeps getting out. Apparently he was hiding somewhere near my room. He came out to see me after I brushed my teeth.

For some reason, eating pork chops has agitated my gums. They are swollen and started bleeding. I keep getting meat stuck between my teeth. Not so bad with chicken, but beef and pork really get stuck. I couldn't get the pick between some of my molars and I could feel stuff was stuck. Floss didn't want to grab it either. Scrubbed with my toothbrush until it came out very red. I'm using my prescription mouthwash and toothpaste. I took something to see if it will reduce the swelling-- and maybe help with this sinus headache. It started when I was sneezing.

Yow bro! mix a half tablespoon of salt with a half tablespoon of baking soda in water so warm you can barely stand it and rinse until it gets cool and spit it out, don't swallow that crap! follow by a shot of hard liquor, rinse well and swallow-or not, your call. Sounds like coal miner's mouth. stay away from meat and coarse bread until it heals up.that means corn chips and tortillas too! do you have diarrhea yet? something you've been eating has scratched your gums surface and they have gotten infected/irritated. and it CAN go all the way down! If and when you get the trotts, let it go, then see a doctor next day for some antibiotics.

Anyway, what I'm doing.
Prepping to prep. maybe clean some guns.

My brother woke me up asking where Namir was (the doors to the front room won't stay closed even with a latch) so he keeps getting out. Apparently he was hiding somewhere near my room. He came out to see me after I brushed my teeth.

For some reason, eating pork chops has agitated my gums. They are swollen and started bleeding. I keep getting meat stuck between my teeth. Not so bad with chicken, but beef and pork really get stuck. I couldn't get the pick between some of my molars and I could feel stuff was stuck. Floss didn't want to grab it either. Scrubbed with my toothbrush until it came out very red. I'm using my prescription mouthwash and toothpaste. I took something to see if it will reduce the swelling-- and maybe help with this sinus headache. It started when I was sneezing.
I get meat stuck in my teeth as well, but even chicken gets stuck. I also try with dental floss, dental picks, but often, it is flat, not round toothpicks that help me clean out the stuck pieces. I grew up using flat tooth picks. I was an adult before dental floss became something I used. We didn't have it at home, but we always had toothpicks and we picked our teeth after eating.

A little off topic, but somewhat on: When I was in college, I developed bleeding gums. I went to the dentist and he said it was a lack of vitamin C. I thought I was eating well, but started taking vitamin C and it took care of the problem.

I woke with a headache as well. When I started drinking, my nose started running and that relieved the headache mostly.

Today is my Friday. I don't have tons to do until Monday (1st of the year and year end stuff.) It's snowing beautifully, wonderfully, fluffily and makes me want to be home drinking hot chocky with a little kick in it ;) Whine, whine, whine.

Has anybody heard from Jim in the last day or two?

Today is my Friday. I don't have tons to do until Monday (1st of the year and year end stuff.) It's snowing beautifully, wonderfully, fluffily and makes me want to be home drinking hot chocky with a little kick in it ;) Whine, whine, whine.

Has anybody heard from Jim in the last day or two?
Checked his profile, last seen TODAY at 10:29!

The Princess has been oof 5gis week and determined to organize her food storage separating the long term storage from the normal grocery store stuff. Previously it was all inter mixed making it hard to monitor what she needed to restock. The room where the normal looks like a grocery with very narrow aisle. She moved her LTS to the fallout shelter and decontamination room.

20211230_154847.jpg

20211230_154933.jpg

20211230_155019.jpg

20211230_155044.jpg

She decided she needs more freeze dried chicken.

She is pleased with the results and that is all that matters. ;)

I stayed out of her way working with my brother to install cabinets at the remodel. We did discover an error I made when I purchased the refrigerator.

20211230_133431.jpg

My brother had to carve out the bottom of the cabinet over the refrigerator because the one I purchase was an inch too tall. My error.

I made a point to continue a family tradition that I suspect was started by my mothers uncle. When took down the old school steel cabinets in our kitchen I found an inscription...

"
Installed during the Kennedy Regime
"

20211230_142550.jpg

We have 3 more cabinets to install but this what we have so far.

20211230_150357_HDR.jpg

20211230_150445_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow The Princess and I will team up to plant the trees i dug up out of the backyard nursery.

Keeping at it...

Ben

Ran errands and brought mom to ice cream. Boy is she confused and unsteady. She is in her own apartment, so that is starting to bother me, but when it comes time to move her to the medical care side, it's not going to be easy. She's going to be kicking and screaming. When I came in today to get her, she asked where she was, did she live there? And then a little later she did remember she lived there. She was eating pie, and couldn't remember if she ate anything else during the day. She refuses to order the noon meal there, although it's pretty decent. Am concerned, but it's going to be terrible to make the transition to nursing care.

Magus, thank you. I don't have any hard liquor. I usually use hydrogen peroxide. Dentist said the mouthwash was stronger. It seems to have helped now. Swelling has gone down. I really need to be more careful with the gums because I have mitral valve prolapse. I have to take antibiotics anytime my teeth get worked on because there is a chance that bacteria can get in through my gums and in to my heart (since the valves allow blood to backwash into my heart). I'll try the salt & baking soda thing to see if it helps any if my gums act up again.

Weedygarden, chicken gets stuck as well but not quite as badly as other meats. Not sure why. Vegetables get stuck too. I get celery strings wedged between teeth and have had to use tweezers to get them out. I haven't seen flat toothpicks. That's something I'll look for. I have little dental picks with bristles that go between the teeth and those usually help but for some reason nothing but floss was fitting between the upper molars.

Ben, looks like your kitchen is coming along great. The pantry cabinet looks nice and spacious. I need to clean my kitchen up desperately. There are spider webs on things. I think I'll leave the spider on the ceiling alone-- it's catching fruit flies.

Amish, I'm so sorry to hear that about your mom. I had an elderly friend who ended up in a nursing home (a crappy one sadly) and when we visited she couldn't remember if she'd eaten (although from her weight I think she had not) and kept forgetting her husband was dead, asking about him, and then sobbing. Dementia/Alzheimers sucks!

When I was up earlier I did some mild cleaning, cooked some more pork chops, moved the chicken to a ziplock bag, fed the kitties, etc. Then I took a nap. Woke up feeling like garbage (bad sinus headache) and Mom wanted me to cook. I had to ask my brother to tell me what setting was the soup setting on the pressure cooker bc my vision was too blurry and there's not enough light- the font the used is hard to see. He was irritated but he found it was setting 2. And he mixed the broth for me and gave me a hug since he could see I'm not feeling well. The hug did help, and my kitty Rupert is with me for cuddles. He alternated between sleeping in my arms to sleeping on my side under the covers last night.

Was typing while DouleR was posting. I feel about the same. The headache and feeling short of breath. I feel ya. Hope you get feeling better soon.

Ran errands and brought mom to ice cream. Boy is she confused and unsteady. She is in her own apartment, so that is starting to bother me, but when it comes time to move her to the medical care side, it's not going to be easy. She's going to be kicking and screaming. When I came in today to get her, she asked where she was, did she live there? And then a little later she did remember she lived there. She was eating pie, and couldn't remember if she ate anything else during the day. She refuses to order the noon meal there, although it's pretty decent. Am concerned, but it's going to be terrible to make the transition to nursing care.
💗♥️💗❤️

My cousin described some things that they had to do with their dad, my uncle, who died last month of COVID pneumonia. When we are independent and used to running our own lives, it is hard to give it over to children or others. His dad had no idea that everything had been liquidated to help with inevitable probate that was coming. I can well bet that your mom will go kicking and screaming and that she will tell everyone that you are the worst person on the earth. Best wishes to you for what is coming.

Ben, I’m impressed with the work you’ve done. However, and please don’t take this as a criticism, maybe you want to put everything up on some wood. From research on food storage (LDS Prepper is a great site!) even 5 gallon buckets will absorb through the bottom over time. And with some weight, stacked 5 gallons like the ones we get from the feed store may crack the lids on bottom buckets.
Nice job, though. I’d like to show my family your pics to show that I’m not the only one.

Latest posts

Back