What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just doesn't have the same sentiment when you abbreviate your words.
1644871820826.png

I don't know what that even means.
Just got home from Mennonite Manor, talked to the resident nurse about more services for mom, like checking on her a few more times a day, noon meal delivered to her apartment, once a week cleaning of her apartment. Got mom to go to the V day party, and I had to go with her. So mom and I and a bunch of ladies sat around eating popcorn and heart shaped cookies, drinking coffee, and yelling loudly at each other since some of them, like mom, can't hear. They were all very sweet to visit with. The men sit at another table and they visit. That always cracks me up. Feels like a tea party. Went to mom's apartment to bring more boxes home to sort through for her, and the ones I used for trash yesterday and put in the trash closet down the hall with garbage in them all got drug in again by her last night, and things were put all over the place again. So this time I brought it all home. We have a farm dumpster.

I need opinions please.

It was supposed to be this.... (picture of the design on the computer screen so it looks funky)
1644877057588.png

But I used the wrong file when I cut the vinyl stencil and did this....
1644877100686.png

My original thought was to have "Funnyfarm" one word but several people told be it needed to be two words so I adjusted the artwork in the computer and asked for opinions again and also started to like the "Funny Farm Ranch" instead of "Funnyfarm Ranch". But I guess I kept both versions in the file on my design program and when I cut the vinyl to make the stencil I grabbed the first version instead of the second version. I didn't notice until after I pulled the stencil off the sign this afternoon. UGH!!!
1) I want to use the sign style to make T-shirts for my family and maybe to sell or give away as I (hopefully) grow my YouTube channel.
2) I can paint over the "Funnyfarm Ranch" and cut the correct stencil and repaint just that part of the sign.
3) I already made the video for each step of the way up to where I noticed the so called mistake.
3) I guess I wouldn't be the first person on YouTube to show their mistakes in the video and make corrections.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome.
I am just annoyed at myself, looking for thoughts from other intelligent folk.

I don't know what that even means.
Valentines Day. Far too many people abbreviate everything they can when they type. One of my pet peeves is HBD instead of Happy Birthday. Abbreviating VAlenties Day ends up with VD, which is generally what most people want to avoid.
IKR = I Know, Right? LOL we should all know means Laugh Out Loud.
Just twisted humor in the earlier post.

Youngest granddaughter came to visit yesterday. We had a dvd player player fail so she got a chance to dissect it. As she progressed I would stop her and plug it back in again so she could see what stilled worked and what didn't. At one point the read head assembly started to smoke. Granddaughter got up and rushed to the stairwell to shelter from a possible explosion. You know it was a good experiment when it smokes. :thumbs:

She helped Gramma clean the shower which she was proud of her work when done. Then she wanted do another experiment. Broke out an electronics science kit that she enjoyed.

Today I made run to the dumpster with a load packing material from 2 bathrooms worth of fixtures. My brother started getting 5he plumbing started.

20220214_164122_HDR.jpg

Waste lines will going in pretty soon.

Behave

Ben

@INresponse the upper one is nicest to my eyes.

Got a lot done today. I sowed fescue grass and crimson clover on about 3 acres, replace the grass that boy killed. The seed/fertilizer spreader stayed in one piece, thankfully. Just have to figure out which parts I need to repair it.

A cousin called at noon, going to bring me several tons of chicken manure this afternoon. At 4 he called, couldn't get loaded today, maybe tomorrow. I hope he brings it. I need to get a ton of the poop plowed into the garden before the next rain.

Got all the critters fed. Also got my elderberry trimmed, the half I didn't prune last year.

Then the big one, did a controlled burn of about 8 acres of pasture. I wanted to burn another 4 acre patch but it was getting dark, maybe next year.

In a few minutes I'm going to take the tractor over the field, looking for hot spots from the fires. They'll be easy to see and plow at night.

Elderberry...

14feb22 Elder  1a .JPG

Well, hey, you solved your manure problem, Peanut. That's good! The kids cleaned out the milkhouse room that housed the 25 french guineas that last few months. So much better now. The dog terror (Pepper) stayed in that cage till near dark till someone came and retrieved her. We had a huge wagon delivered of cut firewood, looks like two plus cords, a gift from the amish school for being a driver for one of the students to school. Told them I ordered it and insist on paying for it, but was told it was voted by the board and oh well. But I bet I can sneak in a donation to their building fund. They have grown so much that they are building on one more classroom and a gym/multipurpose room, and doing something better for the teacher housing. They have an old trailer right now, and it's pretty old. Nephew called and he'll be visiting with wife and daughter from OK in a few weeks when my sis is here. Bringing me a female rabbit so I can set up all my rabbits this spring. Short one female, so problem solved. Granddaughter went on a valentines day dinner date with the boyfriend to the McDonalds in the bigger town, and Grandson and girlfriend are arguing, so he's bringing the flowers and candy to school for her tomorrow. Hmm. Young love.

We tried that one time, pretty soon the dog had two feet dangling around his neck - ate the bird to get it off.
Plan B
corn cob and turpentine.

Can't sleep, waiting for the flight home. Gotta be up at 5AM to take the rental car back. (2021 Nissan Pathfinder, nice ride but everything is electronic, even the gear shifter. I don't like that.) Gonna get on standby for a 7AM flight to Dallas/Fort Worth, then have to get on standby there for a ride back to Des Moines. The lady at the American Airlines counter last night said both flights have 15 seats available so we should be good to go.

Last night's dinner went well, we had a shrimp pasta dish in white sauce... The wife's hands are so shaky now that I had to clean the shrimp, by the time we made the main dish she just didn't have the energy to do a salad or side... It was nice.

Today I am watching the indoor garden, all of the shelves lighting are on now and they are being powered in part by the solar array. The grid power is going to the inverter/transfer switch using a timer, the power from the inverter/transfer switch going to the plants is also on a timer. The goal is to have the lights start out on grid, switch over to solar, then switch back to grid to keep from totally draining the batteries. This way the solar is doing useful work, the batteries are being cycled, and I still have a backup if something goes south during the night.

Hope you're on your way @Spikedriver !

Going to get a crock pot of navy beans and ham on in a few minutes.
Cut extra carrots for dog treats.
Walk and see if City Hall has adjusted my bill yet.
Try making the custard that I never got to last week and can it.
Do a few ebay drafts.
Prune an elderberry bush this afternoon later when it is warmest.

I need opinions please.

It was supposed to be this.... (picture of the design on the computer screen so it looks funky)
View attachment 80360

But I used the wrong file when I cut the vinyl stencil and did this....
View attachment 80361

Any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome.
I am just annoyed at myself, looking for thoughts from other intelligent folk.
My $0.02 is it's your ranch, so you can spell whatever you want however you want!
That being said, if it's just a paint fix (not routed in), the repair might make for good content for the YT channel :)

My $0.02 is it's your ranch, so you can spell whatever you want however you want!
That being said, if it's just a paint fix (not routed in), the repair might make for good content for the YT channel :)
Thank you. That was my final decision after hours of mental debate. Gonna edit down the first effort, show the oops then reshoot the corrections. I have watched plenty of videos of the big time channels laughing off their mistakes so it isn't a big deal. Just annoying.

Made the trip to TN yesterday for inlaw visit
Had lunch at The Wall Street Grill...very good. Long tiring day.

Today gotta go to Cardiologist in big town (Paducah), Gotta be there at 1 pm. Means we gotta leave no later than 12 noon. Wife wants Freddy's for lunch. Ok.

Tomorrow is the long drive to Marion IL , VA hospital for eye care. Gotta be there at 11 am. Gotta leave no later than 9 am.That will be a very long day.

I'll be glad when this week is over. One more trip to doctor on Friday in big town.

I need to be busy here at the house not running around.

Jim

Did more yesterday than any day since October... feel like I've been beaten with a stick. I called the farm equipment company this morning, needed their tech guys to figure out which part I need for my fertilizer spreader. They have it in stock.

Called the sage of lookout mtn about some tinctures. I need a few days in the woods hunting medicinal plants, my escape. Especially up on the mountain.

Cousin called, he's going to try to bring a load of chicken manure again this afternoon... it's complicated.

I'm so happy I got that field burned yesterday... checked it about 9:30pm and again after midnight before I went to bed, making sure there were no hot spots left.

15feb22 day after  1a .JPG
15feb22 day after  2a .JPG

Scratch and chicken feed...50 lb bags of scratch $11 today, and hi pro crumble is $13. Got seven bags, more coming in tomorrow, so I need to go back and they owe me 3. Went to the amish place for lunch, the post office, the bank and husband sat in the truck. I tried not to lollygag. Got mom's appt scheduled for dementia level, and that'll be Friday. I'll be with her. Hopefully it'll bump her up the ladder from independent living with lots of services, to assisted living in the building across the way. She just called and said she was eating breakfast. I asked her what, and she said mashed potatoes and good gravy and she didn't know what else, so it sounds like her noon hot meal arrived. Windier than heck outside, not fun to be working out there.

I had to do the contortionist thing to run wires for the laundry room today. No long lasting injuries but I am getting a bit old for some of this. Meanwhile my brother was out collecting plumbing supplies.

20220215_164116_HDR.jpg

He was not able to get everything so he was planning to hit 3 locations where there are Lowe's and Home Depot tonight.

Tomorrow more wiring before I have a meeting with Olivia (eldest granddaughter) to help with math and science. Despite studying physics and engineering I am wondering how long I will be able to help her since of the convoluted methods they are using in school these days.

Ben

I had to do the contortionist thing to run wires for the laundry room today. No long lasting injuries but I am getting a bit old for some of this. Meanwhile my brother was out collecting plumbing supplies.

View attachment 80461

He was not able to get everything so he was planning to hit 3 locations where there are Lowe's and Home Depot tonight.

Tomorrow more wiring before I have a meeting with Olivia (eldest granddaughter) to help with math and science. Despite studying physics and engineering I am wondering how long I will be able to help her since of the convoluted methods they are using in school these days.

Ben
Teach her the real info and she will either be able to dispute the method or will be able to make it work using the real info you have provided.

I took yesterday off work. Got in today and found out another one of my 5 techs has Covid. He got sick Sunday. Hope no one else comes down with it.
Had 2 more interviews today, 2 more every day this week. We hope to find 3 out of the 8.
Good luck with the hiring, I know it's hard all over! We've been trying to start a 2nd shift @ work and getting people that will just show up is hard enough. Last month we had 2 new hires that just never showed up for day #2 and one that left during their orientation smoke break and never came back!

Latest posts

Back