What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Across the county road in front of our property are railroad tracks where I've seen just about every kind of rail repair equipment that has ever been used, the top machine looks like the one that came by that compacted the gravel between ties, track grinders were interesting to watch. What I missed were the flat cars bringing in the really long tracks that were welded together for long unbroken tracks which certainly quieted down the trains traveling by, no more joint clanking unless some of the train wheels have flat spots on them. By the way, good for you on the job upgrade.
The machine I have been running, we call an RLPI or "Rail Lifter/Plate Inserter". That workhead on the front has clamps that grab the rail, and then hydraulic jacks that lift the rail up off the new tie. Then the arms on the outside of the workload slide the new plates under the rail. It's one of the more difficult machines to operate because you're working in three planes, all at once, on both rails at the same time.

The machine you spoke of compacting the rock is a Tie Maintenance Tamper. I qualified on one of those 6 or 7 years ago. It's a good job but it gets boring.

The rail trains are interesting for sure. I've only worked with them a couple times. It's a good way to get really hurt if you don't know what you're doing, so I tend to stay away from them. For my employer, the continuously welded rail sticks are 1400 feet long and installing them gets more technical than I'm comfortable with. I'm more like the guy you call when you need a strong back and a weak mind...😁

The machine I have been running, we call an RLPI or "Rail Lifter/Plate Inserter". That workhead on the front has clamps that grab the rail, and then hydraulic jacks that lift the rail up off the new tie. Then the arms on the outside of the workload slide the new plates under the rail. It's one of the more difficult machines to operate because you're working in three planes, all at once, on both rails at the same time.

The machine you spoke of compacting the rock is a Tie Maintenance Tamper. I qualified on one of those 6 or 7 years ago. It's a good job but it gets boring.

The rail trains are interesting for sure. I've only worked with them a couple times. It's a good way to get really hurt if you don't know what you're doing, so I tend to stay away from them. For my employer, the continuously welded rail sticks are 1400 feet long and installing them gets more technical than I'm comfortable with. I'm more like the guy you call when you need a strong back and a weak mind...😁
One of the guys I talked to said that those rails were 1,400'. The machine you have been running is like the one I saw, the RLPI. The RR has all the old cant plates and rails laying along the new tracks, usually they pick up all the old stuff, it's got to be of some value for recycle. What's interesting is the manufacture date on some of those old rails, neighbor pointed out one that was 1920, probably originally installed by Chinese workers.

Thats beyond creepy! To quote Troy Landry "Choot It!"

I've never seen that thing... either it wasn't there when the airport opened or I was too busy driving and didn't see it.
I saw old Blucifer this morning, in the dark, with those red eyes blazing. It is probably one of the creepiest sculptures/statues ever created. It fell and killed the man who made it. 5 facts you didn’t know about ‘Blucifer’

Kids are all home from school and older granddaughter is in a spitting mad mood for no reason whatsoever. It's in the 20's out, snow on the ground and snowing lightly. They helped with the animal chores so none of us had to be out too long. I'm going to put them to work inside on some projects. Telling them to clean their room isn't cutting it. Hoping the play tonight isn't cancelled, but we'll see.

Was pushing to get the sign board painted and done to post that video. It took to long, even though it is done I didn't want to deal with uploading the videos and editing it yet. Soooo, made another video using pictures. It is exporting from the editing program now and will be uploaded in an hour or two, hopefully. I will get the sign video uploaded as soon as possible.
Need to make a run to town.

I stretched my winch line out and hooked it to the lower roll base like I should have when I dropped the trailer. the tail chain lock was getting tangled in the corner of my flags. I think we will roll this weekend, we will decide at the start meeting. we should have more trucks, since the boys are home from the false flag at Coutts.
1645144877650.jpeg

Husband searching for new boots. He only wears boots. No arches and ankles don’t flex. Refuses square toe, riding heel or made in China. Today we went south and checked 3 places,,, nope. He found one pair he can live with but they are soft and they will not be every day but dress only. We then picked my mom up at the Inn and carried her to Dennys for lunch. Took her back, visited and then to Wallyworld. I want a countertop ice maker. Our water has oily residue so we buy ice. Not we but me. Found one but ended up paying a fortune for it. Headed north and stopped to see his mom. She has dementia and drives him nuts, but he does go see her. Came home, unload, feed, water dripping and heat lamps on. Wind is crazy! Should be able to plug ice maker in in about 30 minutes.

@Neb Just thought you'd appreciate this after your session with Olivia.
View attachment 80593
4 steps to avoid actual subtraction.

But...

My mother was a check out clerk at a grocery store back when she had to read the price tag and without looking key in the cost. Back then the "correct way" to make change did not involve subtraction but used a similar approach to that example.

Example:
Total was 11.23
Customer tenders $15

Clerk would start with the total

11.23 hand 2 cents
11.25 hand a nickel
11.30 hand 2 dimes
11.50 hand 2 quarters
12.00 hand 3 dollars
$15

No subtraction required.

Only needed to be able to count. Neither the clerk or the customer needed to compute what was the difference between $15 and $11.23.

The Princess used to be a bar tender and insists that is the "correct way" to make change.

People 5hat could actually do subtraction would tender $15.03 and at the end of the transaction would hand back 5 pennies and the nickel for a dime.
;)

Ben

Husband searching for new boots. He only wears boots. No arches and ankles don’t flex. Refuses square toe, riding heel or made in China. Today we went south and checked 3 places,,, nope. He found one pair he can live with but they are soft and they will not be every day but dress only. We then picked my mom up at the Inn and carried her to Dennys for lunch. Took her back, visited and then to Wallyworld. I want a countertop ice maker. Our water has oily residue so we buy ice. Not we but me. Found one but ended up paying a fortune for it. Headed north and stopped to see his mom. She has dementia and drives him nuts, but he does go see her. Came home, unload, feed, water dripping and heat lamps on. Wind is crazy! Should be able to plug ice maker in in about 30 minutes.
What?!

What is your water source?

Curious

Ben

@Neb Just thought you'd appreciate this after your session with Olivia.
View attachment 80593

I would have so much fun showing my work for one of these "new math" quizzes, and then daring the teacher to tell me that my answer or my logic was wrong.

What is 32 - 12?

Code:
12  +  1    = 13
13  +  5    = 18
18  +  5!   = 138
138 + -57   = 81
81  + -3*9  = 54
54  +  0    = 54
54  + -54   = 0
0   +  20/5 = 4
4   +  4^2  = 20
20  +  12   = 32
      ____

What?!

What is your water source?

Curious

Ben
We have a well. First well may have gone through a vein of coal and water didn’t clear up. They redid well and only charged us for materials. Better but not perfect. I drink from tap now, but water causes discoloration that requires scrubbing tub, showers and toilets. Someday may have to invest in whole house water filter. I grew up on iron water so I can drink it. No smell and no we haven’t had it tested.

We have a tabletop icemaker, actually on our second one. I don't put in on a table though, It's on the floor next to the water cooler and the Berkey that's on a stand. Husband and older granddaughter love ice. We go through 2 gallon bags of it a day.
Have on island now. Won’t fit on cabinet. May move an end table to put it on. Cool ice. Small almost crushed. Floor would work but husband has trouble getting down that low.

Also 19 degrees here at the moment. Need to do the school run for two kiddos. Will be going into the bigger town to the Walgreens to pick up stuff for mom. Then on to her place after lunch to drop that off with the nurse. Am meeting a lady there this afternoon for mom's dementia testing today. So I'll be sitting in on that.

Latest posts

Back