What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent the day working on buildings but the entire time I was thinking about my granny. She is 97 years old she is in the nursing home with dementia and contracted covid. It doesn't look good for her, she has lived a wonderful long life. She has been about as tough as they come, her time is coming to an end.
Would one of the nurses lend her a phone or is there an ipad in the facility so you can call her/see her and tell her how much you love her?

Would one of the nurses lend her a phone or is there an ipad in the facility so you can call her/see her and tell her how much you love her?

She hasn't known any of us in 3 years or been able to communicate in anyway. It has been a pretty bad situation, my dad got to sit with her for a few hours yesterday.

I spent the day working on buildings but the entire time I was thinking about my granny. She is 97 years old she is in the nursing home with dementia and contracted covid. It doesn't look good for her, she has lived a wonderful long life. She has been about as tough as they come, her time is coming to an end.
Our time comes when God says it's our time!

Our time comes when God says it's our time!
No getting out of line.
No moving to the rear.
We're all in that line.
FB_IMG_1645413233537.jpg

Jim

She hasn't known any of us in 3 years or been able to communicate in anyway. It has been a pretty bad situation, my dad got to sit with her for a few hours yesterday.
She will hear I/we love you, appreciate you & what you say. Even if she doesn't respond or recognize you. She will hear with her heart.

Sorry to hear of this hashbrown, hope she recovers from it. Some of the old timers have beat the Covid around here, maybe she will too.

No getting out of line.
No moving to the rear.
We're all in that line.
View attachment 80807

Jim

You know I used to be afraid of death, after the last few months I've looked death straight in the eyes and it doesn't scare me anymore. It's just as natural as birth, I look at every day as a gift to be enjoyed.

I understand exactly, my ganny, feb20, 99yrs and hadn't known any of us in several years, heart breaking. But it was time... my thoughts are with you and yours.

I am sitting in the ER with my brother. We went to dinner for his 60th BD he was wheezing and could barely stand. It took 3 of us to get him in the truck.
So I brought him to ER.
He has a lot of fluid on his lungs.
I found out his cardiologist says he has congestive heart failure. He told us everything was good see you in 6 months but left out the part about CHF.
He's going to stay overnight.
I'll be talking to that cardiologist Tuesday.

You know I used to be afraid of death, after the last few months I've looked death straight in the eyes and it doesn't scare me anymore. It's just as natural as birth, I look at every day as a gift to be enjoyed.

I am not scared of death but the process of getting there and what would happen to my family and my animals if I just drop dead . Worst case is not death but physically completely disabled unable to take care of myself.
Woke up this morning with yet another weird headache , my ears buzzing and the lamb house guest screaming her head of wanting to be fed at 5 am.....
Husband just went down to barn to check on the big fat sheep, nothing happening. Oh yeah, we had 2 more lambs yesterday evening , one boy , one girl both healthy looking. Mom accepted them both. They were actually born out in the pasture , glad they didn't get too cold. She must have had them really fast, we check every few hours.
The big fat one still hasn't had hers.

I am sitting in the ER with my brother. We went to dinner for his 60th BD he was wheezing and could barely stand. It took 3 of us to get him in the truck.
So I brought him to ER.
He has a lot of fluid on his lungs.
I found out his cardiologist says he has congestive heart failure. He told us everything was good see you in 6 months but left out the part about CHF.
He's going to stay overnight.
When you talk to the cardiologist ask him point blank about the diet. My wife has had CHF for over 20 years and we switched to an extremely low salt diet, most people would call it a NO SALT Diet and she is still here. Over the years, we have had a lot of friends who also got CHF and didn't think that salt was a big deal or that they would just switch to sea salt. Salt is salt and all but one of the other people have passed, the other person has spent most of the last year in the hospital because of fluid retention because they can't give up chips and fast food.

The wife's doctors have written her off long ago, she is so far outside the norm that they really don't know what to do anymore. But she is able to keep the fluid off and stay home, which is a real blessing. This week the wife turns 71 and is starting on the 4th year since the doctors gave her just a few months to live.....

I encourage you to ask the doctor the following questions point blank:
1) I would ask how his heart function is? (what % of normal is it). When the wife first got CHF she was down in the high 20s, she eventually got up into the mid 40s, now she is in the teens.
2) I would ask them for specific diet instructions, ask about fish, meats, veggies, and salt, don't let them give you soft answers, most doctors are afraid of the truth. Our doctor told us to cut out beef because of the fat, I got the nutritional data on venison (compared to other meats) and we were allow to keep eating the venison.
3) I would ask them about exercise, what kind and how much.
4) I would ask them about the prognosis. Doctors used to say that CHF is a progressive disease (meaning that it will get worse over time and eventually it will contribute to your demise, but they will never say that straight out).

Don't lose hope, through determination, long term focus on meds, diet, and exercise you can exceed any expectation that they have for you.

Finally @backlash know that we are all rooting for you and your family, if you need anything (personal) just send me a note and I'll share what I can.

Sorry about your brother being so sick, and on his birthday, too. Hope he gets better, Backlash.
Getting ready to deal with the animals, and husband's breakfast, then picking up mom and taking her to her doc appt to get the staples out of her head. We had scheduled the 3 grandkids dental work today, too, so husband is going to take them, and I'll go and relieve his waiting when mom is done and back home. The kids have so much dental work to get done, it'll be a long day.

Need to take my Jeep in this morning to get the windshield replaced. Its about a 3 hour drive, maybe more since it snowed last night. The roads will be a little slick. Only 19 this morning so we could get more snow today.
I was wonderin' if you were getting mountain dander yet :ghostly:

@backlash Prayers for you and your whole family! You've had quite a run the last few months~

@snappy1 Maybe you can sneak in a nap. That's not enough sleep.

@Spikedriver & @INresponse LALALALALA I can't hear you.

I haven't had the scares you've had, but I am with you. Death is a part of life. Some people go early, some later. A few years ago a friend and I were visiting and she told me she wasn't afraid to die. I had to agree with her. I am more concerned for my daughter being left behind, but this is going to happen sooner or later. God knows the time.

Lost an aunt on Saturday, married to mom's brother. He died in November and she was ready and wanted to go. Both in their 90's. Too far for me to want to go, especially this time of year.

Today it was calm and unusually warm, was able to check the garden and work on the solar for the indoor garden lights. I was shocked to realize that the inverter was drawing 90 amps while it should have been on stand by..... got it all worked out but for a second I was really concerned. I have lots of spinach grass coming up in the covered raised beds. I refer to it a spinach grass because years back I planted a bed of spinach and she weeded it and after she pulled all that grass out the spinach never came.... She and I both wish that she could spend time doing that again... Enjoy the little things as time has a way of taking away the fun things.

Uh, yeah I would. I had/have CHF and spent 10 days in the hospital and had three procedures done. They took 20 pounds of water off of me in that 10 days just from prescribing Lasix.

If you don't get action seek a second opinion.

Last edited:
I haven't been afraid of death for decades. I honestly would welcome it if it weren't for concern about my family and pets. I'm not overly attached to life. I feel when it's time to go it's time to go. Honestly if I were to become completely physically or mentally disabled I'd want someone to just shoot me so I wouldn't be a burden on others. I've seen what happens when people's minds go. Not something I'd want to subject my family to.
Today it was unusually warm but mildly raining. I went outside to see if I could cool off bc it was too warm in the house but it was even warmer outside. Cistern was overflowing bc the float lever was jammed so I unjammed it. Really need to get that fixed. Brought a couple of the cats inside to get them out of the rain. My oldest cat was sleeping on a metal shed in the rain. He's got such thick fur I don't think he felt the rain.
Then I had to break up some cat fights. We have this big gray cat named Senator Snugglebum who likes to fight with other cats (male and female). He got into a really bad fight with Namir (who got out of the front room). Snuggy was biting, kicking, and clawing my foot when I was trying to separate them. I picked Namir up and Snuggy jumped up and yanked him out of my hand to continue the attack. I had to step on him and shove him and rip Namir out of his clutches and then put a mat under Namir bc he was in claw mode. He continued to hiss and growl for 20min after I rescued him. Then when I was bringing water in from the front room, Snuggy ran in the room and chased Namir out and then was stalking Temjin. She fled from the room and I waited until Snuggy got to a place where I could catch him and carry him out. I put Temjin back in the front room (we keep those two separated bc they are the younger ones and prefer to be in there). But I couldn't find Namir. Then I heard thumping I associate with cats fighting. Went out and Namir was fighting with Gravy Jones. Good thing about Namir is that even though he growls, hisses, and snorts, he doesn't fight me when I pick him up. He just sort of freezes up with his claws out. So I put him with Temjin and petted him until he calmed down.
I hope that getting these boys neutered will reduce the aggression and fighting but I need to get the $ together for it. My brother was supposed to pay for it but he's refusing. So I will have to pay for it. It's 6 male cats so it's not cheap.
Meanwhile Princess (the dog) has a boyfriend. He spent the night sleeping under my brother's truck and then moved to the porch when it started raining. He was out there when I went looking for cats to bring in (he's part of the reason I wanted to bring them in). I don't put food outside and he's too big to fit through the hole in the back door. I can't get close enough to see if he has contact info on his collar though. Not sure if he's eating or not.

Worked all day in my last inside project for this year.
The utility , laundry room. Got all the electrics redone today . Now it's drywall time.
But , it's suppose to rain hard rest of week , so I can't get it in the rain.
I need 6 sheets.

I called and bought the wife a new lawnmower today , we looked at it last Friday at our local John Deere dealer .
Its the X370, it has power steering and power deck lift , for her rheumatoid arthritis.

They will deliver after all the rain stops.

Tomorrow got some prep work to do in utility room.

Waiting for WWIII.

JIM

Worked all day in my last inside project for this year.
The utility , laundry room. Got all the electrics redone today . Now it's drywall time.
But , it's suppose to rain hard rest of week , so I can't get it in the rain.
I need 6 sheets.

I called and bought the wife a new lawnmower today , we looked at it last Friday at our local John Deere dealer .
Its the X370, it has power steering and power deck lift , for her rheumatoid arthritis.

They will deliver after all the rain stops.

Tomorrow got some prep work to do in utility room.

Waiting for WWIII.

JIM

The snow going to miss you?

Work on several things at work. Got home and spent a couple hours with one of my garden beds. Also got my order in with Baker Creek today. Everything I wanted was in stock. Also sorted what seed I had left from last season,

Backlash, Prayers for your brother and family

HB, prayers for your grandma and family as well. We've been thru the dementia thing twice once with my Papaw and again with my MIL. It truely is a terrible disease.

Latest posts

Back