What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you can use the rest.

Wait till I have to load a very large two door upright Westinghouse fridge freezer into that puppy and try to get it down the wheelchair ramp.

I'll be providing entertainment for the neighbours again! For FREE.
Heck if they record it and post it to YT it'll prob go viral.

Wait till I have to load a very large two door upright Westinghouse fridge freezer into that puppy and try to get it down the wheelchair ramp.

Please be careful! 😍

What is your YouTube channel so I can subscribe?

Ben

Fantastic weekend. Opportunity to see some of my girls and family. Great Sunday School lesson today and went to Methodist Church to provide piano music for church service. Came home and picked 1 row of green beans. Canned 27 pints today. Yesterday I canned 21 pints of carrots and 6 quart’s of green beans. But, my green bean shelf is full of green beans from 2020. Need to rearrange. No, I just counted. 16 quarts and 21 pints on shelf. I still have room and I can always double stack. Ones today are cooling on cabinet. Throwing away my experimental dehydrating projects that I still have and are 10-12 years old. Mainly fruit that had sugar on in. Too discolored to know what they are!

Fantastic weekend. Opportunity to see some of my girls and family. Great Sunday School lesson today and went to Methodist Church to provide piano music for church service. Came home and picked 1 row of green beans. Canned 27 pints today. Yesterday I canned 21 pints of carrots and 6 quart’s of green beans. But, my green bean shelf is full of green beans from 2020. Need to rearrange. No, I just counted. 16 quarts and 21 pints on shelf. I still have room and I can always double stack. Ones today are cooling on cabinet. Throwing away my experimental dehydrating projects that I still have and are 10-12 years old. Mainly fruit that had sugar on in. Too discolored to know what they are!
Can't believe you are already into canning season!!!

As the weather is gotten cold for us tropical folk I dragged out a foam dog bed for the Landshark last night.
Yep...you can already guess what happened.
Confetti.
*HUGE SIGH*
I was wondering if a dog coat would be better...but my pragmatism and common sense is picturing me burning a pile of money.
I think I might buy a very cheap one as a sacrificial trial.
I'm pretty much convinced it'll be turned into confetti as well but I got to try something because she's got a super fine coat and she's NOT sleeping in my bed.

I want to subscribe to your youtube, too, Tank. And Landshark can be your guest star.

We went all out at a luncheon this afternoon at my favorite cousin's house. Came home, did some chores, and went off to a burger place to eat dinner and meet with little granddaughter's mom and the boyfriend. Visit went pretty smoothly. Got a call from a farm neighbor who said we missed all the excitement today. Levi the 9 yr old terror stole the other neighbor's 4 wheeler (again) and went tearing around the fields.
Got the potatoes mounded up. Thinking about a chicken wire fence around the garden. Rabbits loved the cauliflower I planted yesterday afternoon. All they left was the tags that said cauliflower.

Went to the store for a load of groceries and took them to my dad and brother. They have covid so can't go to the store. Been lots of health issues and stuff to deal with. Came home and finally planted my tree that I had ordered and was shipped much too soon, so it's been living in a pot in the dining room for a month. Supposed to get down to 40 tonight; hoping it doesn't frost the poor thing. Then tried to cut the grass, only to run over an old rope I didn't realize was there, spent 45 minutes clear that out of the deck. And when I came in I found a leaky pipe in the basement. Headed to bed before anything else can go wrong.

Watch craigslist and thrift shops. I scored a new box of 1/2 pnt jars (I like them for tomato sauce) last weekend for $4. I don't pay more than 50 c. per jar up to quarts. 1/2 gals are more.
I'll have to give that a try, the problem is everyone in my area of Utah has a garden and cans. I'll be out in one of our plants and hear big burly harley riding welders sharing tips on varieties of tomato plants they like, or how to keep birds from eating their berries. I feel "smart" for buying jars early this year when they are still on the shelves. Last couple of years I organized a group buy wholesale from Fillmore container (one of the perks of my dear wife having a resale license and a generic sounding business name) with some neighbors just to get any at all!

The canning jar thing is a big deal. What I see happening is "old folks" don't have the energy anymore to can and they are often willing to just get rid of jars. The young folks don't have any desire, until thing appear to be a crisis and then they over buy because they don't know what they are doing (this adds to the shortages). What I find interesting is that the people who can on a regular basis fixate on the need to have a supply of lids, which are usually the true bottle neck...

I like what @TeeJ did about getting a group together to make a bulk buy, the other thing that could be done would be to coordinate the exchange of supplies and labor to help everyone take advantage of the groups skills and resources. But finding a way to identify people and resources near you can be hard.

Today is a back to work day, I'm kinda glad because I don't think I could take another relaxing weekend like this last one.

The wife's nurse comes today, so the kitchen needs to be clean. I have already cleared the table, mopped and vacuumed, but the dishes are calling.

I still have 1 tub of spinach to clean, but I moved it back to the basement so as to not give the nurse something to ask for (she is always looking for something we can give her).

I need to clean up the damage from yesterday's thunder storms.

And, I think I need to inspect the garden (just cause it makes me feel good). ;)

Today is a back to work day, I'm kinda glad because I don't think I could take another relaxing weekend like this last one.

The wife's nurse comes today, so the kitchen needs to be clean. I have already cleared the table, mopped and vacuumed, but the dishes are calling.

I still have 1 tub of spinach to clean, but I moved it back to the basement so as to not give the nurse something to ask for (she is always looking for something we can give her).

I need to clean up the damage from yesterday's thunder storms.

And, I think I need to inspect the garden (just cause it makes me feel good). ;)
Well you wore me out!! 😉😊

Good morning, H&CL! It's 0645 here and I've been productive in the early morning for once. Already went to the gym, now it's time to shower and get ready to go shopping for a new recliner. The leather on the cheapo one I bought a little over 3 years ago is starting to Crack. This time I'll get a synthetic suede one. My brother has a reclining sofa made from that stuff and it has held up really well, so I think that's the way to go.

I'll have to drive the truck at least 45 miles to get to a furniture store that has one. The gas might be almost as much as the chair!:eyeballs:

It's mom's doc appt day today, her regular three month check up, so we'll be picking her up late morning. Will be spending more time in the garden after that. Husband has pt late afternoon, grandson has work all day, big granddaughter has work this evening. Little granddaughter is hanging out. Will have to find chores for her to do today.

Yesterday was Church and housecleaning day-- you know, company is coming cleaning.
Walked dogs.

Today, I already walked.
Have laundry going 2 loads
Will prune bushes for fellow to mow.
Weed in garden.
Have an appt. at Social Security office today to get info on options. Next week will talk to VA and then insurance agent for my medicare--DH staying with VA medical. I need a rounded picture of our options before we decide.

In a State of Confusion.

A competition on Saturday and another on Sunday. When I arrived home Sunday, carried everything in and put it away. I'm bushed! Since I wasn't home to take the wife out to her restaurant of choice for lunch I offer to do so for supper. She said yes. I shave and shower and dress in good clothes and out for supper we go. She asked about transplanting some flowers Monday morning. I said no, I need to rest a bit, maybe Tuesday morning. She reminds me that Monday at NOON I've agreed to meet her at one of her clients to for a minor electrical repair

Today (Monday). Tell the wife that after I leave her client I'm heading to the bank for miscellaneous bank business. I fix my breakfast, make the bed and get dressed in good clothes. Wife asks, "How about 10 o'clock?" 10 o'clock is better then NOON for me so I say sure!

I make sure I'm finish the updates to the web sites I administer by 10 o'clock. Upstairs to find the wife setting in front of the TV scrolling on her smart phone. "Ready?" I ask. She replies, "You going to transplant flowers dress like that?" "No I'm ready to go with you to your client and then to the bank...

It's raining all day. Took care of the animals, all in the barn now, made kimchi from some Chinese cabbage I didn't sell at the market , trying out to bake coffee cake in bread pans to see if I can split the recipe and make something I can sell
Shoveled muck in front of the barn to provide drainage for the rain, it was getting really bad and our tractor with the scraper is still not fixed. Pulled weeds in the rain for a little while, and transplanted my citrus trees into the large containers I ordered that finally got here ( they were in buckets)

A pano of where we were yesterday morning. We like to call it God's church which Hubby has been verbally attacked for :rolleyes:
Our old hunting grounds~
IMG_4551.jpg

A neighbor that was my mother's best friend asked for some help trying to figure out why her SSI was not showing in her bank account. She 90+ and does speak english very well (Japanese) so I took her to the bank to figure out what up. Turns out all is fine and it was just the timing of her bank statement missing the deposit by a day. She was less stressed afterwards.

Decided to defer weed whacking The Ridge until tomorrow. Weeded the backyard gardens until it started to rain. Now time to catch up and do more reading.

Ben

Accidentally found some strawberry plants growing in the curve of the backstop when I was pulling a bunch of old tires out of there. I have them transplanted, grass free, in a new spot. They look like a version of wild strawberries. I hope they are.

A thunder shower started so I came in and started hotdog buns to go with the fresh smoked homemade hotdogs.

I went to Slumberland to buy the recliner. The one I saw online, wasn't very comfortable so I looked at some others. I was resigned to spending a grand for a Lazy Boy, but then I found a "big man's" Franklin marked down to $500. They said it'll come to the store in 1 to 3 weeks.

This supply chain shortage sucks...

I've been slammed at work. The new role I had to take over has dropped 7 different projects in my lap in the last 3 weeks. I got one finished today. Before the day was out 3 of the other six was hammering me wanting to know when they would get theirs. :mad: I tried to explain nicely there was others in line as well. Not to mention the email I got from someone else about a totally unrelated project I haven't had time to deal with. Then there was 2 different alarms that didn't work as they should related to my normal work.

I guess this should go under the Rant thread
SORRY

I went to Slumberland to buy the recliner. The one I saw online, wasn't very comfortable so I looked at some others. I was resigned to spending a grand for a Lazy Boy, but then I found a "big man's" Franklin marked down to $500. They said it'll come to the store in 1 to 3 weeks.

This supply chain shortage sucks...

I've got my eye on a Lazy Boy.

There was a Lazy Boy that was the most comfortable chair I tried. It was in Slumberland's Memorial Day sale. It still would've been over $850. It was nicer, but not 350 dollars worth of nicer than the one I bought...
We went to 5 different stores looking at furniture. I bet I sat in 20 recliners, Lazy Boy was far and away the most comfortable. Plus they can fix anything that breaks, for years to come. They don't come cheap though

We went to 5 different stores looking at furniture. I bet I sat in 20 recliners, Lazy Boy was far and away the most comfortable. Plus they can fix anything that breaks, for years to come. They don't come cheap though
This Franklin was really close to the Lazy Boy, comfort wise. I have really long legs for my height (6'0") and my feet always dangle off the end of the footrest. Lazy Boy usually puts longer footrests on their recliners. This particular Franklin had a long footrest too and is really deep when reclined. I'm not going to slide down in this one! I just hope it lasts well. I've had my fill of Ashley and Lane chairs, they go bad way too fast. Hopefully this one will be better...

Several years ago we were looking for a new couch. Everywhere we went, the couches were ridiculously tall, and the seat cushions were ridiculously long. You sat down - having to scoot back because they were so tall - and your legs were sticking straight out because where you needed to bend them at the knee, well, your knees were 6 inches back on that long cushion.

We stopped at the Lazy-Boy store and their couches were fantastic. Bought one on the spot. And our feet can touch the ground!

Several years ago we were looking for a new couch. Everywhere we went, the couches were ridiculously tall, and the seat cushions were ridiculously long. You sat down - having to scoot back because they were so tall - and your legs were sticking straight out because where you needed to bend them at the knee, well, your knees were 6 inches back on that long cushion.

We stopped at the Lazy-Boy store and their couches were fantastic. Bought one on the spot. And our feet can touch the ground!
I know - exactly! We went with an antique sofa. It's comfortable and you don't have to do any acrobats to get into or out of it.

I'm the opposite. I haven't found a sofa yet that's too deep from front to back. But some will leave me six inches or more from the edge of the cushions to the back of my calves.

My Pops has a big ol' sofa that's pretty ridiculous. It's so deep that whenever my daughter and I visit overnight, she immediately claims that thing as hers and sleeps on it. You could fit two of her with room left over. But it's still not too deep for me. It's pretty amazing when it's reclined! I could sleep in that any night of the week!

Latest posts

Back