What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve spent the last couple of days getting everything ready for the trip North. Got here at 1:30. ~sigh~ it’s good to home. It’s only home for those precious weeks of vacation but my nucleus family is all here. I specifically come this week every year for two reasons. First, it’s my birthday Wednesday and I like to be near Dad, my brother and my SIL. Second, my mom died the day after my birthday and I like to be near the family. The cabin is the only place I can still hear her voice.

It’s going to be my forever home one day.

My nerve pain is almost gone. It did get worse before it got better and now I can move with minimal pain and without help. Being able to adjust myself when I sleep was the best part of getting better. Not having to slide off the bed and land on my knees in the morning was nice too.

The clue I was getting better was being able to jump out of bed at midnight to handle an escaped rabbit. She got her cage door open and hopped out and was chasing one of the cats. They are in the house because of the heat and I am glad they are because a lot of other rabbitries and rabbit ranchers nationwide are losing rabbits to the heat this summer. I am glad I didn't breed them in the late spring as a lot of others did and are now losing kits and breeders. Sorry they are losing stock but I am learning not to breeding in summer. I will look to breed in the fall when it gets to the 70s or so.

Getting more junk out of the house in the form of donations and sales. I need it gone but I will wait for a buyer not trying to rip me off. Too many jerks thinking my vintage and antique pieces can be bought for pennies when they are so rare or hard to find they sell for more than I am asking. I am flexible in price but I want to make some money for my time and effort.

Just cranky there are so many jerks in this world.
California has a lot more jerks than most!! Hang in there!!

I’ve spent the last couple of days getting everything ready for the trip North. Got here at 1:30. ~sigh~ it’s good to home. It’s only home for those precious weeks of vacation but my nucleus family is all here. I specifically come this week every year for two reasons. First, it’s my birthday Wednesday and I like to be near Dad, my brother and my SIL. Second, my mom died the day after my birthday and I like to be near the family. The cabin is the only place I can still hear her voice.

It’s going to be my forever home one day.
Well happy early birthday Icy!! Glad the cabin has memories of your mom!! Glad you have family to be with!!

I enjoy sitting under this oak tree sometimes... watch the livestock for a while in the mornings. You'd be surprised what can be learned by just sitting, especially about any pregnant cows. We ran bulls year round, so had calves born year round. Best way I know of to really know your cattle, spend some time each day watching them...

View attachment 90383
Looks like the perfect spot for a concrete picnic table and grill to me.

California has a lot more jerks than most!! Hang in there!!

Haha, Pearl, ya got that right... why do ya think I bailed outta there? Couldn't take any more, now I'm lovin' life in the high desert! No crowds, no traffic, no smog, no crime... well, very little crime, lol. It's the boondocks for me henceforth, I could NEVER go back to livin' in the Big City! I just talked to my friend back on the coast, and he said the homeless problem in San Diego is now WAY outta control... heaps of whacked-out zombies on every street corner, tryin' to live the Kalifornia Dream! I guess the leftist scumbag politicians ain't opening the doors to their multimillion-dollar mansions, lol...

My nerve pain is almost gone. It did get worse before it got better and now I can move with minimal pain and without help. Being able to adjust myself when I sleep was the best part of getting better. Not having to slide off the bed and land on my knees in the morning was nice too.

The clue I was getting better was being able to jump out of bed at midnight to handle an escaped rabbit. She got her cage door open and hopped out and was chasing one of the cats. They are in the house because of the heat and I am glad they are because a lot of other rabbitries and rabbit ranchers nationwide are losing rabbits to the heat this summer. I am glad I didn't breed them in the late spring as a lot of others did and are now losing kits and breeders. Sorry they are losing stock but I am learning not to breeding in summer. I will look to breed in the fall when it gets to the 70s or so.

Getting more junk out of the house in the form of donations and sales. I need it gone but I will wait for a buyer not trying to rip me off. Too many jerks thinking my vintage and antique pieces can be bought for pennies when they are so rare or hard to find they sell for more than I am asking. I am flexible in price but I want to make some money for my time and effort.

Just cranky there are so many jerks in this world.
Glad the nerve pain is lessening. I'm also glad you brought the rabbits inside to keep them safe. This heat has been unbearable.

I heard back from the guy who adopted the pups. His dogs apparently love them. They have been cuddling with him a lot. He had a little trouble getting Jelly to eat because Peanutbutter is aggressive with him and chases him away from food so he had to feed them separately but he devoured the food once separated. He got the food I've been feeding them so hopefully it will sit well with them. It tends to make them gassy so they will probably need to change diet gradually. He sent me a pic of one of them with a head on his shoulder. They like to do that. Very sweet and cuddly. I'm so happy they are adjusting well.

Guts still hate me and I have to get up to make dinner soon, but am trying to stay as still as possible. Three if the cats are happy for me to hold still. Itsy has been pawing at my face trying to get me up though. Bethesda is asleep on top of my door so I'll have to be careful to not jostle her when I go out. Don't want her falling down on me.

I enjoy sitting under this oak tree sometimes... watch the livestock for a while in the mornings. You'd be surprised what can be learned by just sitting, especially about any pregnant cows. We ran bulls year round, so had calves born year round. Best way I know of to really know your cattle, spend some time each day watching them...

View attachment 90383
Observing. Part of Montessori training is spending hours observing children. I spent four weeks sitting in a chair, watching children when I did elementary training. When I did primary training (preschool, ages 3 to 6) I spent M, W, and F mornings for a full semester sitting in classrooms, watching children and adults. I like watching people and dogs.

Went to visit mom at the nursing home again this afternoon with my daughter and Pops. Played "Jokers and Pegs" with her down in the lounge area. They moved another lady in to the other side of Mom's room so we can't set the card table up in there and make noise playing games any more.

After that, went back out to the farm and spent a little more time with Pops. He's in good spirits but it seems to me that he's going downhill physically without mom there. Moving a lot slower, more stooped over...I'm getting worried for him for this coming winter. I'm starting to doubt he can handle a winter on the farm. Of course, he would say, "What are you worrying for? I gotta live that long first before you can worry!"

Daughter and I just got back from the farm a bit ago. I snagged a few things at Fareway and I'm putting them away. It's going to be Bedtime for Bonzo soon, got church in the morning and some kind of outdoors activity with the kid afterwards...

Mine aren't big on treats. They often turn them down. But they do get carsick-- particularly since I live on a very bumpy road. Vet said I could give them half a dramamine. I managed to find some last time at the store bc employees were nearby stocking the section. It was on the very bottom shelf pushed back where I couldn't see it. Employee grabbed it for me. Gave it to the pups in some cheese and they didn't puke on the way to get picked up by their new owner.

I've been told that's how my great grandparents viewed my maternal grandmother. Only reason they had her was to have someone to take care of them. They treated her like garbage and made her be their servant. Never wanted her to marry. Planned to force her to take care of them the rest of their lives. But her dad made the mistake of introducing her to my grandfather. He was absolutely livid when my grandmother fell in love and they got married. It ruined their plans to keep her as basically a slave. Her side of the family was very bitter toward him.

My guts hate me today but I still got the pups ready. Gave them their flea pills as well as the dramamine. There had been a misunderstanding with the vet. Vet though the just wanted the pills to feed to them himself but he wanted the vet to administer them. So I wrapped the pills in cheese and administered them just before we left. They didn't puke or get sick this time.

As soon as the guy rolled up the puppies recognized him & started wagging their tails excitedly. They wanted to see him. He gave them water. I handed over their rabies tags & their toys. We loaded them into his car and I said goodbye. I didn't prolong it as I didn't want to get emotional and upset them. Peanutbutter was still looking at me as he drove away. I hope they enjoy their new home. I cried a little bit afterward but part of it is from relief. A huge weight has been lifted because I don't have to worry about them knocking my mother down, chewing more stuff, getting into stuff, etc. I'm sure my older dogs will be happy to not get trampled by the pups anymore. They both really disliked those pups.

We met at a Walmart parking lot to make it easier. I went inside afterward and my brother and I grabbed some stuff. He came with me to help bc he was glad they were being rehomed. He did admit he likes them and that he's glad they found a nice family to take them in. No kids to bother them. The guy will get a trainer to introduce them to his current dogs. He promised to send pics and updates. I had to run to the bathroom twice while in Walmart and about 5x since I got home. Pepto doesn't seem to be working. Ugh.

But otherwise, I feel good bc I don't have to worry about the pups and once my guts recover I can start doing some cleaning.
Might try mixing up some baking soda and luke warm water - stir and take a couple chugs. It tastes awful, but your tummy will feel better within about 20 min.

Day 2

Attachments

• 8A631260-6E43-47B1-A681-E00097F40771.jpeg
    8A631260-6E43-47B1-A681-E00097F40771.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • A1CBCD55-7F50-47BA-AF82-3E5D8D3E706F.png
    A1CBCD55-7F50-47BA-AF82-3E5D8D3E706F.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3AD5DCCA-5560-45EE-B377-DC2EE190FD59.jpeg
    3AD5DCCA-5560-45EE-B377-DC2EE190FD59.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 75F1F059-21E5-400D-9DE8-07674C67CA7E.jpeg
    75F1F059-21E5-400D-9DE8-07674C67CA7E.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • D68204E9-AC84-462A-A89F-6B80F0F82DD2.jpeg
    D68204E9-AC84-462A-A89F-6B80F0F82DD2.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 0
  • E8471146-CFB1-45C6-AEA6-570E17E29832.jpeg
    E8471146-CFB1-45C6-AEA6-570E17E29832.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 05071840-1657-426C-96F3-CF5D5EDA6765.png
    05071840-1657-426C-96F3-CF5D5EDA6765.png
    369.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 181DF805-E899-4987-938E-DF1011C0BADD.jpeg
    181DF805-E899-4987-938E-DF1011C0BADD.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 0
The Princess left me home alone unsupervised while she is at the cottage on lake Chautauqua. I covered the quad with a tarp for now.

View attachment 90250

I started to clean up the shed before putting anything more in there. Sizing up what I have in there now it looks like I perfectly mistimed this project. I have 2 shelves of old paint I can toss. But the the community hazardous waste day is tomorrow and I didn't get an appointment thinking I only had a gallon and a quart of paint. I will have to stage them in the shed until the next event. Oh well.

I will have do some planning since I have a large stash of burlap bags, rolls that have to go somewhere. The wind turbine charge controllers generator and inverter will get moved to the basement room where the future battery bank will go.

A lot of move this to make room for that ahead of me.

But some reading time now.

Ben
I was told to fill partial cans of old paint with cat litter. Then, it was ok to toss in trash. This was from an experienced person at the transfer station. NY. I guess leaking is the bad thing, not what it actually is.

Well, it was another stinky day around here. Since it was so nice and warm today, we decided to mix and pour concrete in the heat of the day. We wouldn't want anyone accusing us of being smart or anything. So corn has to wait until tomorrow. We had corn on the cob for supper - that's it. It was good! We both ate quite a bit earlier so weren't super hungry. Tomorrow is ironing probably 3 weeks worth of clothes, going to church then going to possibly pick apricots. When I get home, I'll have to play with that corn.

Went to Wichita to pick up daughter flying in from Tuscon, and husband discovered he had the time wrong. 3 hrs early. She was still in Dallas. So drove an hr home. Was ready to leave again, and her flight is still stuck in Dallas. Waiting....
Big airport! No bad weather, sorry she had the wrong time!!

Well, it was another stinky day around here. Since it was so nice and warm today, we decided to mix and pour concrete in the heat of the day. We wouldn't want anyone accusing us of being smart or anything. So corn has to wait until tomorrow. We had corn on the cob for supper - that's it. It was good! We both ate quite a bit earlier so weren't super hungry. Tomorrow is ironing probably 3 weeks worth of clothes, going to church then going to possibly pick apricots. When I get home, I'll have to play with that corn.
Ironing??? Not sure what that is!!??🤔😁

Went to visit mom at the nursing home again this afternoon with my daughter and Pops. Played "Jokers and Pegs" with her down in the lounge area. They moved another lady in to the other side of Mom's room so we can't set the card table up in there and make noise playing games any more.

After that, went back out to the farm and spent a little more time with Pops. He's in good spirits but it seems to me that he's going downhill physically without mom there. Moving a lot slower, more stooped over...I'm getting worried for him for this coming winter. I'm starting to doubt he can handle a winter on the farm. Of course, he would say, "What are you worrying for? I gotta live that long first before you can worry!"

Daughter and I just got back from the farm a bit ago. I snagged a few things at Fareway and I'm putting them away. It's going to be Bedtime for Bonzo soon, got church in the morning and some kind of outdoors activity with the kid afterwards...
You are a good man Spike!! Take care of Dad!!

Observing. Part of Montessori training is spending hours observing children. I spent four weeks sitting in a chair, watching children when I did elementary training. When I did primary training (preschool, ages 3 to 6) I spent M, W, and F mornings for a full semester sitting in classrooms, watching children and adults. I like watching people and dogs.
I like watching anything that moves!!

Glad the nerve pain is lessening. I'm also glad you brought the rabbits inside to keep them safe. This heat has been unbearable.

I heard back from the guy who adopted the pups. His dogs apparently love them. They have been cuddling with him a lot. He had a little trouble getting Jelly to eat because Peanutbutter is aggressive with him and chases him away from food so he had to feed them separately but he devoured the food once separated. He got the food I've been feeding them so hopefully it will sit well with them. It tends to make them gassy so they will probably need to change diet gradually. He sent me a pic of one of them with a head on his shoulder. They like to do that. Very sweet and cuddly. I'm so happy they are adjusting well.

Guts still hate me and I have to get up to make dinner soon, but am trying to stay as still as possible. Three if the cats are happy for me to hold still. Itsy has been pawing at my face trying to get me up though. Bethesda is asleep on top of my door so I'll have to be careful to not jostle her when I go out. Don't want her falling down on me.
You really did find the doggies a good home!♥️♥️

Magus, I hope you get feeling better soon.

Ladylocust, if this doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'll try that. Have to find my baking soda....

Pearl, I'm so happy about finding them a home. The lady called and started absolutely sobbing with joy on the phone. The doggies went over to comfort her & she had to tell them she was ok. She already got them on pet insurance and got them gourmet treats (which they weren't interested in bc they want affection more than food). She adores them and said that it saved her life bc she was so stressed and they are bringing her so much joy. They just want to be held and cuddled. She says if I want to visit I can. Also says if I have trouble with doctors here not listening to me she's a doctor so she can help me out. Said she will drive out to see me if I need any sort of medical treatment. That's very sweet of her.

My stomach is still giving me trouble but not as bad as earlier. I watched "Broadchurch" and "Grantchester" on PBS. I got my brother to watch both with me as we both enjoy the programs. I'm about to try to get some sleep now. Hopefully the kitties will let me have some peace. Aminatu and Gravy Jones are to my left. Biscuits is on the APC for my computer. Itsy is sleeping on the bin I kept my shoes in. Its naptime.

Church first this morning and then walk dogs.
Need to harvest in garden. Some of the okra is looking a little too big.
I was given and blanched a head of cauliflower yesterday. Today, will make mock potato salad.
DH opened some plain squash that I canned thinking they were pickles. I will make a ham, cheese, squash casserole for dinner.
Cut up a watermelon.
Make Eggplant lasagna to freeze.
I think I will have to water garden tonight.

Celebration of life/family reunion today. Both Dumpster puppies are doing very well being inside at my dads house with me. Between all mine and theirs we have 9 dogs that are getting rotated through house, crates and backyard. I really like the puppies and I'm strongly contemplating keeping the female for myself as a house-dog because my current one is really getting up there in age. I love my black mouth cur but he is NOT an inside dog. I really tried with him but he's extremely stubborn and he's all go and absolutely zero whoa, never relaxes around people.

Watered the trees & plants, made a shopping run to Walmart (no pajamas), now I'm drinking cold beer, WOOHOO!!! :)

Bug is GONE, and good riddance... feel a lot better today, and I'm hoping to knock out some home rehab this coming week. Might as well work inside with the A/C running... :rolleyes:

Speaking of that, I FINALLY received a bill from the electric co-op, they must have forgotten to send the last one because now I'm looking at a $233 bill, GRRRRR!!! :mad:

Meh, I'll pay the $84 that should've been billed a while ago, then pay the rest toward the end of the month. I'm gonna have to grill the pogues tomorrow and make sure this doesn't happen again... :confused:

I knew something was wrong when I didn't receive an electric bill for weeks & weeks on end... and this current bill says I'm paying nearly $5 per day on electricity (mainly the fridge & central A/C). Goldurned rip-off... :oops:

Watered the trees & plants, made a shopping run to Walmart (no pajamas), now I'm drinking cold beer, WOOHOO!!! :)

Bug is GONE, and good riddance... feel a lot better today, and I'm hoping to knock out some home rehab this coming week. Might as well work inside with the A/C running... :rolleyes:

Speaking of that, I FINALLY received a bill from the electric co-op, they must have forgotten to send the last one because now I'm looking at a $233 bill, GRRRRR!!! :mad:

Meh, I'll pay the $84 that should've been billed a while ago, then pay the rest toward the end of the month. I'm gonna have to grill the pogues tomorrow and make sure this doesn't happen again... :confused:

I knew something was wrong when I didn't receive an electric bill for weeks & weeks on end... and this current bill says I'm paying nearly $5 per day on electricity (mainly the fridge & central A/C). Goldurned rip-off... :oops:
Gotta keep the beer cold!!!

Latest posts

Back