What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck....no! It wasn't Landshark sitting on my chest ( for once)
It was the results of crawling under the house and building the firewood rack then I realised just how unfit and frail I have become because I was unable to sling around those 25kg bags of firewood like I thought I would be able to.
The guy at the brick works loaded my car for me.
I ended up using the removalist trolley which rolls flat and loaded it with 3 bags and dragged them under the house and then on to the racks.
I almost cried at the thought of dragging the trolley back out and doing it all over again so I split the difference and got the trolley out and I was done for the day.
I'm trying to convince myself that I'll move more bags later this afternoon...pfffttt...all pigs fed, saddled and ready for flight!
I hear you, Tank Girl, on hurting and losing the ability to physically do what was once easy peasy. I went through one thing after another during what I call my lost year, last year. Not as bad as what you’ve faced, but enough.
Definitely slower, weaker, and yes, wobbily, but ready to get back into life and do. Hoping to get back into shape by doing more. Just got a job where I can go at my own pace.
I have never liked hearing, ‘you can’t do that!’ My response and my attitude have always been ‘watch me’.
It can be done. Let’s do it!

Bak in the shed today moving all of the alternative energy stuff from the shed to the front basement since it looks like that is where it eventually be installed.

View attachment 90628

I dug deep enough to find a surprise on a bottom shelf in the back corner.

View attachment 90629

No not the mantis tiller. That cardboard box in the dishpan is hydrochloric acid. At least I had the foresight to put it in a plastic dishpan. I have no memory of where it came from. I can only guess it was left over in the garage when I purchased it from my cousins.

I am not sure if I should keep it for a SHTF situation or get rid of it with the other hazardous waste.

Any opinions?

View attachment 90630

Above image shows the burlap supplies that I want to store in the shed. Bags of various sizes rolls etc. Another part of our preps.

I have to figure out where to stage all of the old paint in 5 gallon buckets until I dispose of them.

Ben
I have a Mantis tiller, but mine is electric. I wish I had a gas engine one as well. I purchased the electric one because I have always struggled to start gas engines on lawn mowers, etc.

Took wife to her Dr appt. Doc walked in and said I've got some good news. NO SURGERY. He showed us the xrays and pointed out the breaks. Both are at the bottom of the metatarsul ( I think thats right) just above the wrist. Both were clean breaks and perfectly inline. He said they were in such good shape and the hand typically heal fast. So they just put her in a cast for 4 weeks, then she'll go back, have it removed, and x rayed again. Thanks for all the prayers

I have a Mantis tiller, but mine is electric. I wish I had a gas engine one as well. I purchased the electric one because I have always struggled to start gas engines on lawn mowers, etc.
I prefer electric because I have a bad right shoulder and risk dislocating it doing pull starts designed for right handed use.

That mantis suffers from "badgasitis" I may get around to fixing it some day.

Ben

Doesn't HCL lose the most of it's strength in about 5 years? I remember a chem experiment in college where it didn't work and there was a big bruhaha about where new chemicals actually ended up...
I will have to check it out.

For those that don't know, you never put your nose over a bottle of acid to smell it. You stay back and use your hand to waft the smell toward your nose. (I learned the hard way?)

After that I will take a small sample and test it with baking soda.

If it is lively I do have a high end pH meter. After that I will have to do research to remind myself how to figure out the molar concentration ( been a long time).

Ben

Aluminum foil or a piece of concrete is a better test of strength. You can also use a hydrometer.

Had fieldwork today, four stops then straight back to my office. Stuck at it til 7:30 then went out and watered the garden and got in my pool for a few minutes. It'll be good when I finally catch up and don't have to work so many hours.
Is it just me, or does it seem like drivers are worse every time I have to leave the house? Started the day with a gal almost hitting me right at my corner because she was staring down at her phone while driving.

Had fieldwork today, four stops then straight back to my office. Stuck at it til 7:30 then went out and watered the garden and got in my pool for a few minutes. It'll be good when I finally catch up and don't have to work so many hours.
Is it just me, or does it seem like drivers are worse every time I have to leave the house? Started the day with a gal almost hitting me right at my corner because she was staring down at her phone while driving.
Nope not just you. What really makes me nervous is seeing in the rearview the person behind you is on their phone. Never know if they are going to run into you. That was one thing I was grateful for when the price of gas went up was fewer rigs on the road.

Well now we're at the hospital for evaluation because now the facility admitted they she may have had a stroke Saturday and they didn't catch it. Still not great prognosis but it could mean that death isn't as imminent as they made it out to be.
Prayers for you and your family ABR. Know whatever the outcome, she has loved ones on both sides and is in good hands. 🙏

Took wife to her Dr appt. Doc walked in and said I've got some good news. NO SURGERY. He showed us the xrays and pointed out the breaks. Both are at the bottom of the metatarsul ( I think thats right) just above the wrist. Both were clean breaks and perfectly inline. He said they were in such good shape and the hand typically heal fast. So they just put her in a cast for 4 weeks, then she'll go back, have it removed, and x rayed again. Thanks for all the prayers
Good news! Let the canning marathon begin - oops, too soon? 😇

NO SURGERY.
Both were clean breaks and perfectly inline.
Typically heal fast.

Glad for you! Long ago I broke my 5th metacarpul, clean, healed nicely. I still think I got the worst of that fist fight even though I knocked the guy out... I'm the one who ended up in a cast. 😵‍💫

Long day, and hot. Sad day, my old GSD passed. I actually got the tractor stuck trying to plow out a grave, that was fun! Had to walk all the way to the house and get the truck to pull it off a big stump.

Broke a 3/8ths inch logging chain while pulling the tractor. Best guess, a bad link. It should not have broken. It's a 10ft piece I use for pulling heavy objects with the tractor, even had new hooks on it. It was old chain but aside from surface rust still fine.

Got the old dog's igloo house off my porch, got it disinfected. Still needs some cleaning. My water hose burst open before I finished. Guess I need another one of those...

I messed up my dinner, made a big pot of seafood hot n sour soup, twice the size I normally make. I screwed up either the amount of korean chili garlic paste or the red pepper flakes. It was so hot I couldn't eat it. I just dumped it out at the edge of the yard.

I'm almost afraid to do anything else at this point, even go to bed. 🤣

@Peanut fall asleep in your favorite chair with your feet up? Sorry everything is falling to crud today and tonight. There be times like that and most of the time I don't even bother to say anything.
@Bacpacker good to hear better news about the breaks. Those were lucky breaks!
@Heartbroken I'm glad I have such a short commute.
Otherwise, I'm not winding down yet, but when my taller than average grandson (8 yrs. old) goes to hug me goodbye, he nearly tackles me and is just up to my chin in height.

Everyone has days were everything goes wrong... nothing we can do about it... Oh! I remembered, there was one more... I took the tractor out before lunch to scout possible places for the grave. Did a little bush hogging while I was out.

When I came home I left a gate open... oops! An hour later I found the horse and donkey in the garden... buttheads! They know better! 😁

Last edited:
YES, people DO NOT pay attention when driving!! Too many "other" things to do!!☹️

Confirmed stroke. Prognosis isn't good but no way to know how long. I'm staying in the hospital with her. I always promised that she wouldn't die alone and that I intend to keep one way or another. I only hope that I can be strong for her when the time comes.

So many people under the weather or strain at the minute-my thoughts are with you all xx
Went out for an early morning walk- haven't done it for months, then spent two hours watering, picking and doing chores outside. It's giving thunderstorms later but I can't run the risk of not getting any rain. Have to lift potatoes also, detassel corn and repot some seedlings. Turnip seedling recently put into beds are doing well.
Every day I'm spending a while sorting photos, virtual and physical, into folders- its easy to get distracted with memories though! Later we're going to a fundraising family event.

Zannej hope you feel better. I had something like that a few days ago but it was gone in a day. I didn't eat anything weird so not sure how I got it. I think best thing to do is eat nothing at all for a day and drink lots of herbal tea ( like chamomille and my latest favorite red clover)

Clem good luck on your diet, that keto does not work for me. I hate eating taht way. I do a lot better cutting out fat instead of eating more of it. I don't know why so many people like this diet. You look at skinny third world country people. What do they eat? Mostly carbs ( rice) and some sort of vegetable with a little dairy or meat thrown in occasionally

Doggies ears are starting to stand up. He is still having a problem not peeing in the house unless he is in his crate. I think my Heidi learned a little faster to go outside, but it was easier to spot a girl trying to squat to pee and grab her to go out than a boy who just stands there and pees like a goat buck lol

It's been raining here every day ( afternoon storms) so the weeds in the garden are taking over again , plus we have wood to stack and some more work to do in one of the pastures.

And so we begin….
Packing up the car to bring my son to the hospital.
Heavy-duty chemo this week, bone marrow transplant next week.
He’ll be hospitalized at least 4 weeks - so he’s bringing his big tv and game box. 😂
Lots of thoughts and prayers!! Hoping all goes well!!♥️

Another covid day off (with pay), the couple I would be cleaning for today are friends with the other couple who have covid. They were exposed so they suggested I not come but would pay me since they cancelled late. Most of my older people I would not let do that, but they are very well off and insisted!! So I'm making potato salad, cleaning my house, working on the mile long to do list! Heading outside with Bear to work on his obedience, he loves his morning training walk! He was the perfect gentleman when we went to Tractor Supply yesterday! Also planning my fence work! Yep, I am going to do it myself. Had a weak moment the other day when I thought I would hire it done! Expanding Bear's front yard. Will have a chance next week when he is recovering from being neutered.

Getting ready to get the outside chores and animals taken care of. Husband and I need to go to the courthouse in the bigger town to do paperwork in preparation for next Tuesday's courtdate summons. So our visiting daughter and little granddaughter will probably hang out here. Probably will take them both thrift shopping in our little town later. It's supposed to be 107 today, so don't expect much activity outside this afternoon. A cousin of mine and her visiting son are coming this evening with lots of pizzas to our place early evening. They want to visit with our daughter before she leaves tomorrow. So no cooking for me tonight. The night before we made lots of lasagna, and made a specialty vegetarian one for our daughter. So last night I got all the leftovers put in the freeze dryer, so she can bring it home with her for backpacking food. Grandson left at 5 am to do a field walking job with a crew that were traveling 3 hrs away. The fields are owned by one of our farm neighbors, so they are doing the transportation and the big lunch. He'll be home late tonight, but I'm sure will get sleep time in on the drive. He's liking the money he's earning.

Rained like crazy here all day. Cleaned the closet to make room for the loom. Put together all the extra parts for the loom and bench. Inspired Dad to clean out his bedroom closet. Nice big bag for the transfer site on Friday. Had dinner with brother and SIL last night. Mmmm. Perch.

Slept in today. All the way until 7am. Cooked a delicious breakfast, did some spinning. Going to have lunch with brother, visit the Amish farm.

Goldurned bee stung my finger while I was filling one birdbath... the stinger only went partially in at an angle, so I didn't get the full injection, but these hybrid bees in the Southwest have powerful stings, so my finger is all puffed up and feeling rigid. As if I needed another excuse to postpone painting, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 😆

The bee stung the middle joint on my left index finger, but now the first joint (closest to the palm of my hand) is all swollen and it feels totally rigid. I'm thinking that in order to reduce swelling (and possibly save my life), I'm gonna wrap my hand around a nice cold beer, lol... sun ain't over the yardarm yet, maybe somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean it is, lol. ;)

Here's a shot of the swollen joint... jeez, my hands are starting to look OLD, lol. Looks like some calamine lotion on my hand as well, I tried it to see if it would help deaden the sting... didn't seem to make any difference. I normally use it for stuff like poison oak or poison ivy, but I haven't seen any of that here on my property. :confused:

IMG_8233.JPG

P.S. My fingers aren't actually that stubby, it's kind of a weird angle, lol. You can see how bloated the first joint is on my index finger... guess it's gonna stay that way for awhile, time to grab that cold beer, lol. :cool:

Edit: Now my finger & palm are starting to itch... isn't this how thieves are supposed to feel? Lol... the only thing I stole today is a march on my drinking, 10-4? I'm tempted to take the thumper for a spin to give the ol' hand some "cycle therapy"---that big ol' thumper will loosen up the joint quickly enough, lol. Sure feels funny, like the finger is in a cast. :rolleyes:

IMG_5726.JPG

File photo of thumper thrown in for good measure, lol... :)

Last edited:
Goldurned bee stung my finger while I was filling one birdbath... the stinger only went partially in at an angle, so I didn't get the full injection, but these hybrid bees in the Southwest have powerful stings, so my finger is all puffed up and feeling rigid. As if I needed another excuse to postpone painting, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 😆

The bee stung the middle joint on my left index finger, but now the first joint (closest to the palm of my hand) is all swollen and it feels totally rigid. I'm thinking that in order to reduce swelling (and possibly save my life), I'm gonna wrap my hand around a nice cold beer, lol... sun ain't over the yardarm yet, maybe somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean it is, lol. ;)

Here's a shot of the swollen joint... jeez, my hands are starting to look OLD, lol. Looks like some calamine lotion on my hand as well, I tried it to see if it would help deaden the sting... didn't seem to make any difference. I normally use it for stuff like poison oak or poison ivy, but I haven't seen any of that here on my property. :confused:

View attachment 90704

P.S. My fingers aren't actually that stubby, it's kind of a weird angle, lol. You can see how bloated the first joint is on my index finger... guess it's gonna stay that way for awhile, time to grab that cold beer, lol. :cool:

Edit: Now my finger & palm are starting to itch... isn't this how thieves are supposed to feel? Lol... the only thing I stole today is a march on my drinking, 10-4? I'm tempted to take the thumper for a spin to give the ol' hand some "cycle therapy"---that big ol' thumper will loosen up the joint quickly enough, lol. Sure feels funny, like the finger is in a cast. :rolleyes:

View attachment 90712

File photo of thumper thrown in for good measure, lol... :)
I suggest many ice cold beers and stay away from painting at all costs!!🍺😃

Meh, it's already wearing off... but this is a good reminder to buy one of those "Sting-Kill" kits at the store. I don't begrudge the bees any water, I don't mind 'em hittin' up the birdbaths, but in the summer they tend to form a circle around the birdbath to the east. If I get out early enough there are only a couple bees, but as soon as it warms up then they show up in numbers. Most of the time, I can quietly refill the birdbath and the bees don't give me any grief, but when I have to dump the old water first, then they get excited. Sometimes the birds cr@p in their own baths too, so that means I gotta dump the old water AND spray the baths... the earlier I do that every morning, the safer it is, lol. :oops:

Doctor Pearl, I'm gonna get cleaned up, go to the store and buy a big ol' rack of ribs to smoke in the BBQ... I saw some ribs on sale at a decent price the other day, and I'm in the mood for some BBQ. At least the bugs will leave me alone if I'm standing near the BBQ, smoke pouring out of it, lol... oh, well, this IS 'bug season' so I guess I gotta deal with 'em. But I'm looking forward to fall & winter, when the bugs die down and I can reclaim my yard, lol. :rolleyes:

Glad for you! Long ago I broke my 5th metacarpul, clean, healed nicely. I still think I got the worst of that fist fight even though I knocked the guy out... I'm the one who ended up in a cast. 😵‍💫

Long day, and hot. Sad day, my old GSD passed. I actually got the tractor stuck trying to plow out a grave, that was fun! Had to walk all the way to the house and get the truck to pull it off a big stump.

Broke a 3/8ths inch logging chain while pulling the tractor. Best guess, a bad link. It should not have broken. It's a 10ft piece I use for pulling heavy objects with the tractor, even had new hooks on it. It was old chain but aside from surface rust still fine.

Got the old dog's igloo house off my porch, got it disinfected. Still needs some cleaning. My water hose burst open before I finished. Guess I need another one of those...

I messed up my dinner, made a big pot of seafood hot n sour soup, twice the size I normally make. I screwed up either the amount of korean chili garlic paste or the red pepper flakes. It was so hot I couldn't eat it. I just dumped it out at the edge of the yard.

I'm almost afraid to do anything else at this point, even go to bed. 🤣
Wow! That's insult to injury 😢 May tomorrow be kinder.

And so we begin….
Packing up the car to bring my son to the hospital.
Heavy-duty chemo this week, bone marrow transplant next week.
He’ll be hospitalized at least 4 weeks - so he’s bringing his big tv and game box. 😂
Big prayers for all of you G.
Rained like crazy here all day. Cleaned the closet to make room for the loom. Put together all the extra parts for the loom and bench. Inspired Dad to clean out his bedroom closet. Nice big bag for the transfer site on Friday. Had dinner with brother and SIL last night. Mmmm. Perch.

Slept in today. All the way until 7am. Cooked a delicious breakfast, did some spinning. Going to have lunch with brother, visit the Amish farm.
I am going to a fiber festival in my little ol' home town the end of the month. Looking forward to it as I haven't gone for 2-3 years now due to hoopla.
Meh, it's already wearing off... but this is a good reminder to buy one of those "Sting-Kill" kits at the store. I don't begrudge the bees any water, I don't mind 'em hittin' up the birdbaths, but in the summer they tend to form a circle around the birdbath to the east. If I get out early enough there are only a couple bees, but as soon as it warms up then they show up in numbers. Most of the time, I can quietly refill the birdbath and the bees don't give me any grief, but when I have to dump the old water first, then they get excited. Sometimes the birds cr@p in their own baths too, so that means I gotta dump the old water AND spray the baths... the earlier I do that every morning, the safer it is, lol. :oops:

Doctor Pearl, I'm gonna get cleaned up, go to the store and buy a big ol' rack of ribs to smoke in the BBQ... I saw some ribs on sale at a decent price the other day, and I'm in the mood for some BBQ. At least the bugs will leave me alone if I'm standing near the BBQ, smoke pouring out of it, lol... oh, well, this IS 'bug season' so I guess I gotta deal with 'em. But I'm looking forward to fall & winter, when the bugs die down and I can reclaim my yard, lol. :rolleyes:
I agree w/ Clem, but ACV also takes the "sting" out.

@goshengirl sounds like he knows the drill. All the best to you.
@Wingnut feel better! Have you iced it?
@sonya123 it hasn’t rained here in a while, not enough to make a difference. Statistics are showing the exodus from the lower west coast state is landing here, but I haven’t seen any license plates from there.
@Pearl my work schedule is a little different this week too. Glad you’re getting paid for them to be sick. Wait, that doesn’t sound good. Anyway, stay safe.

Latest posts

Back