What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Town run to resupply with beer... those rum drinks I had last night slowed me down this morning, lol. Made an appointment with Discount Tire to have my wheels & tires rotated tomorrow, that's important because I don't want to buy another set of tires until Christmas or early next year. After I pay my property taxes, I reckon... which should only be around $100 to $120, lol. I'm hoping they'll be that low, that is the figure I was given when I bought this place. We shall see. For now, I have to get cleaned up and head for town... yard is still muddy outside, so no yard work. I really should get started on this kitchen floor, covering the new wooden patch with vinyl tiles, but I'm not really motivated to do it today. I only had two rum drinks last night, but they were tall and pretty darned stiff... now I'm in recovery mode, lol. :rolleyes:

I had to take a couple hours off of work to bring mom to neurologist appt about her short term memory issues. She did good on some of the questions/tests and not good on others. Doctor wants to do a bunch of tests, including an MRI and a month of talking to a neuro-psychiatrist. I don't know if she will want to do all that, it's physically difficult to get her to and from these appts and we can't even be sure that anything would be able to be done for it at the end. She's 76 but not in good physical health. I think if it was up to me, I'd have her do the MRI first and go from there. It's just difficult to see and deal with.

We should get in a chat room some night and do tequila blasts Wingnut.
One of us would start singing old Dead Kennedy or Black flag songs about dawn.

Us two geezers belting out "Anarchy in the USA" at the top of our drunken lungs would be epic!

Landshark is still depressed.
I know it's supposed to be a bad thing when your pet isn't acting "normally" but I have to say I'm actually enjoying the quiet.
The cow vet wants more money to remove her sutures which I think is extremely rude.
Surely the price of the desexing would also include that?
He hit me up $79 for 8 Amoxicillin tablets according to the desexing itemised bill.
I almost fell over backwards!
So, NO...Landshark is not going back to the cow vet to get her sutures taken out.
I'll do it my darn self.
The incision has knitted together extremely well and the redness is now her body's reaction to the sutures themselves.
I'm glad I got her desexed but I really could have done without all the drama that went with it.
Wow! We just got 30 for $36 from our vet for one of our dogs.

I hope Landshark feels Quietly better soon @Tank-Girl .

I'm very glad your son is coming home today @goshengirl !

I can't sing sober, so I don't know what to say to you, @Magus . LOL

Walked first.
Washed dog blankets and put flea meds on pups. Hopefully, last time this year.
Went to Walmart for squash to pressure can with okra and onions, tomorrow.
Pastor came to visit DH. Said he felt led to. They chatted for awhile.
I made jambalaya- big pot. Am pressure canning leftovers--less freezer space.
I think I'm done for the day.

We had a huge black and white dog come to our house. Sooo friendly! Oreo- not so much.
Pastor called local mechanic who knew where dog lived. Owner came and got him. I love small towns!

We should get in a chat room some night and do tequila blasts Wingnut.
One of us would start singing old Dead Kennedy or Black flag songs about dawn.

Us two geezers belting out "Anarchy in the USA" at the top of our drunken lungs would be epic!

Wait a minute, who you callin' a "geezer?" I'm not using a walker... yet, lol. ;)

I only do when I have to. Normally just use my trailer park sheleighly. any older person should consider getting one, I've backed off several dogs and a couple of crack heads with mine and the court house doesn't even bother to look at it anymore. I think that pound of stainless steel on the grip looks cool! here's the tops of two I made. thats them, top left.

Attachments

• the twinzz.jpg
    the twinzz.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There are 12 log pillers (18" in diameter) holding up 18" x 6" engineered rafters as part of an open overhang down one side of the school.

Four of them are incorporated into the garage wall which use to be an outdoor covered play area and which one half of each, is still exposed to the outside elements. The other eight are fully exposed. Over the years they have been painted, but not often enough so they are cracking. Cannot have the support posts fail, so.....

The task is to sand them all down to bare wood, reinforce and then fill the cracks and ending with new paint. We hope we can leave them as natural wood. Hubby is artistic and can paint the filled cracks to look natural before applying the finish.

It takes 2-3 hours per post to sand. That is my life for this week. While processing roosters for stock and subsequent canning.

I have a granny cane made of Locust. its only as thick as my thumb, but there's no breaking it by normal means, and the stubs the thorns left make a dandy grip, not to mention remove hide if you have to hit with it. :)

Attachments

• useing a baton.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Another day whittling down that pile moving the bags of about everything one would find at a garden store plus other stuff I never heard of.

What is "greensand" and what do I use it for?

20220822_153023_HDR.jpg

Big piles of pots of various sizes that I have to figure where should go.

I found foam insulation R-3 behind the pile. I don't remember where that came from but it is a blessing because I need to insulate the wall below the windows.

20220822_153638_HDR.jpg

I was able to slip it in behind the shelves. There is more in the pile so I may get an R-9 in the end.

The shelves are getting loaded with room to still have plants going. Speaking of such I popped two types of lettuce seeds into pots to see if I can get a perpetual harvest of salad going as inspired by @UrbanHunter .

20220822_153345_HDR.jpg

Ghetto budget goal is still holding at $25 so far. How can I ever recover from being a pack rat after devising a greenhouse for next to nothing?

Counting my blessings!

Ben

Comparing / contrasting on gluten-free sourdough tortillas today! I did this little project to test out some storebought flour blends and my own homemade flour blend.

Mine’s the one on the right, obvious because mine includes mesquite flour, which gives it that super-dark color. (Also gives it a nice sweetness and some extra fiber.)

The other two are Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 (rice and tapioca flours, and already includes xanthan gum to replace the gluten), and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose (garbanzo, tapioca, and fava).

I included a generous ¼ tsp xanthan gum in my flour mix and in the one that didn’t include it, because it or something similar is necessary for the structure. Otherwise you have crumbly tortillas. (This has happened to me before.)

Verdict as of now: they are all tasty, and all reasaonably flexible. We definitely have a preference to my blend (taste) and the 1-to-1 (ease of use and good flexibility, though more bland). The all-purpose isn’t bad, it’s just not quite as good as the others, and has a mild bean aftertaste. (It is not good to sample the plain dough for that one. Do not recommend. It needs to be cooked to cook the bean taste out.)

I mixed up a second batch of my flour blend and will probably try it on something more demanding than tortillas very soon.

20E56E98-870D-422A-89D2-9594D4802B81.jpeg

I feel like we are just "putting out fires" all the time when it comes to getting things done around here. Do you ever feel like that? We get one things just about done ( never finished) and then the next 2 things come up

Took animals to the meat processor today and they were so full that they had to put our poor goats and lamb at the entrance instead of a stall. The owner wasn't there so I have to call tomorrow to tell him what cuts I want. I sure hope our animals don't get out before processing. The guy unloading complained the whole time about how the owner had scheduled way too many animals today. Not my fault....I made our appointment a long time ago

Tomorrow the next disaster is coming, we are taking the main farm truck for inspection and oil change. I wonder what all they will find wrong with it

At least it only rained first thing this morning for about half an hour

I feel like we are just "putting out fires" all the time when it comes to getting things done around here. Do you ever feel like that? We get one things just about done ( never finished) and then the next 2 things come up

Took animals to the meat processor today and they were so full that they had to put our poor goats and lamb at the entrance instead of a stall. The owner wasn't there so I have to call tomorrow to tell him what cuts I want. I sure hope our animals don't get out before processing. The guy unloading complained the whole time about how the owner had scheduled way too many animals today. Not my fault....I made our appointment a long time ago

Tomorrow the next disaster is coming, we are taking the main farm truck for inspection and oil change. I wonder what all they will find wrong with it

At least it only rained first thing this morning for about half an hour
May I humbly suggest...

Set up more but smaller goals.

Ex
Get vehicle to inspection.
Get it inspected.

At least that way you are getting SOMETHING done.

Your thoughts?

Ben

Coat the buried part in heavy grease and then wrap it in warm tar paper, should be good to go for 25+ years.

Sounds good in theory, but no can do. The logs are set on cement in ground pillers 8 " off the ground. There is a round steel plate with a center pin to anchor into the bottom cement post and another bolted to the top whose pin is anchored into the edge of a horizontal metal covered engineered beam that runs along the top of all the posts. The rafters sit perpendicular to this beam along it's top. They are also metal covered. This school did not skimp in the building materials.

The previous owners after it became a private residence simply, did not keep the logs sealed properly. It's not too late to do it properly, but another year left unattended will lead to having to replace un replacable supports.

A small labor intensive, cheap project becomes a major industrial and very expensive repair.

It's not a difficult job, just a tedious dirty one. It is a lot like Wingnut's weeds. Somebody needs to get to It. It won't go away on its own.

Easy night tonight, no partying, just reading... tire rotation is a priority mission tomorrow, and I want an early start. Luckily, my last tire (set) purchase was still in the shop computer, and there's no entry regarding subsequent rotation, so they're gonna do it for free as promised. I think I rotated the wheels & tires myself in AZ, I just can't recall doing it... too much has happened since then, so my mind may have "canceled" the memory. It's that or friggin' Alzheimer's... ;)

Here's a shot of little Black Diamond & Zorlac snoozing atop the cabinet near my bed... dunno where Z-Girl is, probably under the bed in the cat cave, lol. She'll show herself soon enough, the sweet little girl. She's such a funny critter, the runt of the litter, but she sure has a LOUD purr, lol. I'll spend some quality time with the kittens this evening, they'll run all over the bed (and me) while I'm trying to read my book, no doubt. I'm still working on Tiger & Crackhead, those fooliots! :rolleyes:

IMG_8484.JPG

May I humbly suggest...

Set up more but smaller goals.

Ex
Get vehicle to inspection.
Get it inspected.

At least that way you are getting SOMETHING done.

Your thoughts?

Ben

We ARE getting things done but for every thing we get done 3 new ones seem to come up, it's just frustrating.
Goal: to have functioning vehicles that passed inspection and a road to our house you can drive on without the wheels falling off....lol

We ARE getting things done but for every thing we get done 3 new ones seem to come up, it's just frustrating.
Goal: to have functioning vehicles that passed inspection and a road to our house you can drive on without the wheels falling off....lol
Sounds like a normal week around here. Vehicle trouble is about all we haven't been dealing with lately.

Sounds good in theory, but no can do. The logs are set on cement in ground pillers 8 " off the ground. There is a round steel plate with a center pin to anchor into the bottom cement post and another bolted to the top whose pin is anchored into the edge of a horizontal metal covered engineered beam that runs along the top of all the posts. The rafters sit perpendicular to this beam along it's top. They are also metal covered. This school did not skimp in the building materials.

The previous owners after it became a private residence simply, did not keep the logs sealed properly. It's not too late to do it properly, but another year left unattended will lead to having to replace un replacable supports.

A small labor intensive, cheap project becomes a major industrial and very expensive repair.

It's not a difficult job, just a tedious dirty one. It is a lot like Wingnut's weeds. Somebody needs to get to It. It won't go away on its own.
Agreed fixing it today.

An issue addressed today is not problem tomorrow.

My brother and I lifted a place using farm jacks to replace most of the sill plates on one place. Point is that you do one at a time if it need be.

Any chance of sharing photos?

I would love to see what tou have been talking about. Please?

Ben

MIL went to hospital this morning in ambulance.
She celebrated her 88th birthday on 08-09.
She passed away at 8:40pm.
If I'm out of touch for a while, you will know why. :(

Oh, that stinks, Supervisor. I'm really sorry about your MIL.
I spent the morning with mom. She will be 90 in November. We went to get her blood drawn, and it was a fasting draw, so I took her to breakfast afterwards, then back to her assisted living place. She has her doc appt I'll take her to on Wednesday.
Home for an hour, then picked up our neighbor lady and her three kids, dropped the kids off to her moms. Then we went to the bigger town to Walmart. She really filled a cart, made mine look skimpy. Our town festival here starts on Friday night, and goes thru Saturday night. She is making 10 dz cookies and 10 dz whoopie pies, and a number of peach and blueberry pies for the amish school's bake sale at the festival. So she needed lots of baking supplies. Came back and made 2 sheets of brownies, which little granddaughter decorated to bring to school tomorrow. She will be 11 tomorrow.

@Supervisor42 so sorry for your family's loss. My MIL passed back in June, she was 99. What a woman. Had accomplished many great things, just about put anyone to shame as far as prepping, gardening, canning, sewing, organ playing, and many other things. Was always very giving and did much for the community.
Sending kind thoughts and sympathy to your wife.

Oh, that stinks, Supervisor. I'm really sorry about your MIL.
I spent the morning with mom. She will be 90 in November. We went to get her blood drawn, and it was a fasting draw, so I took her to breakfast afterwards, then back to her assisted living place. She has her doc appt I'll take her to on Wednesday.
Home for an hour, then picked up our neighbor lady and her three kids, dropped the kids off to her moms. Then we went to the bigger town to Walmart. She really filled a cart, made mine look skimpy. Our town festival here starts on Friday night, and goes thru Saturday night. She is making 10 dz cookies and 10 dz whoopie pies, and a number of peach and blueberry pies for the amish school's bake sale at the festival. So she needed lots of baking supplies. Came back and made 2 sheets of brownies, which little granddaughter decorated to bring to school tomorrow. She will be 11 tomorrow.
Happy birthday to her!! ♥️

That is what homesteading is all about, we never get caught up. Like Ben said, prioritize your tasks and a list that is doable in a day. Trucks were always an issue with repairs here, the plowing beat them up good. Down to one truck and stress level is much lower. Good luck and hope your repairs are minimal.

Back