What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be walking--rain.
Will label and put away the last few day's canning.
Make a "thank you' cake for mechanic.
Pick okra, figs and fertilize.
DH has video appointment with doc this afternoon.
Not much else.
A sweet lady I clean for makes thank you cakes and goodies! That's such a nice idea!♥️

We were gone last weekend and looking at another jaunt so trying to play catch-up and prepare for being gone all at the same time. Yesterday after work we made 13.5 quarts of salsa. Finally got the kitchen cleaned up enough and headed out to water, got in about dark to take my shower, sat and read for about 42 seconds then went to bed. The alarm woke me this morning. Got a head of cabbage on the dehydrator, did the few dishes that magically appeared over night and started in on my to-do list.
They are harvesting the rest of the onions in the field behind us so we have the "aroma" again. The good part is we will hopefully be able to glean again - they leave so much in the field!

Shes out of the cast for a week now. Last Monday she couldn't hd a coke can. She can almost make a closed fist now. But very little strength.
Its still swollen some but not nearly what it was a week ago. Plenty of pain at times but thats better too
Wow, at least she's making some improvement!! Hope it's better soon!♥️

Spent the morning weeding in the yard... filled the bin again, now I'm exhausted. Looks like the Second Goathead War has begun: the recent rains brought up another wave of puncturevines, and some which I missed earlier were visible today and loaded with goatheads! They were hiding under other weeds, you see... these puncturevines are invasive to the point where they can grow right where other weeds are growing, their stems literally tangled with each other. I also had to pull multiple large weeds to access the goathead vines hiding under 'em. The good news is that I pulled several hundred goathead vines today, including 50 larger ones loaded with goatheads... so I caught 'em in time and I'm still interrupting the life cycle of others. Gonna break out the flamethrower on the first dry day and torch the new wave of young puncturevines emerging from the soil. Peanut, I'm beginning to think that ants & goatheads will be the bane of my existence here in the high desert of New Mexico... I can hammer 'em and whack 'em down hard, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of all of 'em. :oops:

Oh, well, as long as I seriously cramp their style and reduce their numbers, I'm still ahead of the game. These things are the worst weeds I've ever seen for overrunning a yard, and the elderly folks here before me just couldn't keep up with 'em, but I'm a hardheaded ex-Infantry soldier and I'm gonna wage war on these things till they f#% off & die, lol. Or at least show some respect, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, these things are driving me round the bend... it's almost like they're crafty, hiding under other weeds as they proliferate! Like something out of a B-grade 'Sal U. Lloyd Disasterpiece Theatre' horror flick... they never stop growing, they never stop multiplying, one day they will rule the world! Until I bust out the napalm, that is, and carpet bomb my own property just to get rid of the blasted things, lol. Friggin' home will lie in smoking ruins, but I'll be able to say: "TAKE THAT, YOU GOLDURNED GOATHEADS!!!" Meh, an insurance claim will solve the other problem... napalm residue everywhere, but ya know the fiery destruction will be listed in the insurance claim as "accidental." ;)

Last edited:
I'm feeling for you Wingnut with those goatheads. I spent plenty of days pulling those things in Corrales, NM. Plenty of days for plenty of years. We had an acre, and the whole back acre was covered with them, like a carpet, when we bought our place. And chickens won't eat them. I don't mind weeds that chickens eat. Free chicken food.

Did the animal chores, picked up mom for her routine doc appt. Her almost 90 yr old body is in great shape, except her mind is warped. And her balance is not good, and she hates to use the walker. Doc says use the walker. I bet she won't. Took her to lunch at Chic fil a. Now I've got some household catching up to do.

Oh hey, Wingnut. Forgot to mention....year 3 of pulling goatheads, I gave up and used roundup. But very carefully, only on the main root leaf part. I didn't want to ruin the soil for years and not be able to grow anything. Make sure you stay away from your water well, too. This was on our septic side of our property. Grrr. Goatheads.

My buddy studied the images of the gas pedal mount last night and decided it was off. So we took it apart and rewelded it and sry fit made him happy. I drill the last hole for a screw to attach it to the firewall. Done with 5he gas pedal mounting bracket.

Now for my screw up.

I had failed to check the water level in the cloning station. Discovered it was not running and low on water. Looks like it done in the pump. Bummer. Found another pump in my stores and it is back up and running.

20220824_162244_HDR.jpg

Added four more cuttings and sliced 5he bottom of the stems at an angle with a razor blade. I hope that will help with the cutting taking up water. Threw in 3 pinches of rooting hormone on a whim.

Keeping at it.

Ben

I slept in, put up a new shower curtain, paid a couple bills, did some dishes, farted around on the internet looking for a different work vehicle, watched a documentary about Spartacus and the Third Servile War in ancient Rome, played a couple games of Sequence with my daughter, and made thin cut sirloin steaks with criss cross fried potatoes for dinner. Tonight...I think I'll do very little. I'm watching a CSI rerun and digesting my steak right now.

My daughter drove herself to Ames, 25 miles away, to attend her first day of college classes at the extension campus of Des Moines Area Community College. She is taking 14 credits there during her junior year of High School. She's studying Culinary Arts, which I have mixed feelings about. I don't think it's a particularly useful course of study. She could be using this opportunity to take some courses that will help her later on when she's a full time student. But, at the same time, cooking is a useful skill to have, it's just not one that will make her a living. I'm looking forward to having her make me some of the recipes she learns about...

Last edited:
Oh hey, Wingnut. Forgot to mention....year 3 of pulling goatheads, I gave up and used roundup. But very carefully, only on the main root leaf part. I didn't want to ruin the soil for years and not be able to grow anything. Make sure you stay away from your water well, too. This was on our septic side of our property. Grrr. Goatheads.

Well, I'm down on chemicals, I only use ant poison when I have to use it, and I pour it directly down the holes. Chances are mighty slim that I'd ever use Roundup on my property... I don't want my cats chewing anything with that cr@p on it. Fortunately, I'm the kind of stubborn b@stard who tackles challenges like these goatheads, and I'm more determined than ever to knock 'em down and eventually knock 'em out. I made good progress this morning, pulling several hundred puncturevines, and about 50 were larger ones loaded with goatheads... they were the ones I missed earlier, grown to maturity with all the recent rains. No worries, I caught 'em in time, and that's what I'll keep doing, since every vine I pull or destroy means that many less goatheads on my property. I know I'll have to break out the flamethrower again pronto, as I noticed a new wave of seedlings or sprouts after the rains. These goathead vines are tough customers, lol... like the goldurned 'Terminator' they just keep a-comin', and they never quit! :oops:

I slept in, put up a new shower curtain, paid a couple bills, did some dishes, farted around on the internet looking for a different work vehicle, watched a documentary about Spartacus and the Third Servile War in ancient Rome, played a couple games of Sequence with my daughter, and made thin cut sirloin steaks with criss cross fried potatoes for dinner. Tonight...I think I'll do very little. I'm watching a CSI rerun and digesting my steak right now.

My daughter drove herself to Ames, 25 miles away, to attend her first day of college classes at the extension campus of Des Moines Area Community College. She is taking 14 credits there during her junior year of High School. She's studying Culinary Arts, which I have mixed feelings about. I don't think it's a particularly useful course of study. She could be using this opportunity to take some courses that will help her later on when she's a full time student. But, at the same time, cooking is a useful skill to have, it's just not one that will make her a living. I'm looking forward to having her make me some of the recipes she learns about...
God bless her for taking those courses. Are some of the credits applicable for other degrees? Math, writing?

If she follows through she will be well ahead of me. I started taking night classes when I was about 35.

Sea story time

I was outside a building waiting for class the first year I went full time. I started talking to a guy that was about my age. I asked how many terms he had been taking courses. He said 4 terms. I replied "So you are about a Junior?" He said...

No, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton.

Ben

Well, I'm down on chemicals, I only use ant poison when I have to use it, and I pour it directly down the holes. Chances are mighty slim that I'd ever use Roundup on my property... I don't want my cats chewing anything with that cr@p on it. Fortunately, I'm the kind of stubborn b@stard who tackles challenges like these goatheads, and I'm more determined than ever to knock 'em down and eventually knock 'em out. I made good progress this morning, pulling several hundred puncturevines, and about 50 were larger ones loaded with goatheads... they were the ones I missed earlier, grown to maturity with all the recent rains. No worries, I caught 'em in time, and that's what I'll keep doing, since every vine I pull or destroy means that many less goatheads on my property. I know I'll have to break out the flamethrower again pronto, as I noticed a new wave of seedlings or sprouts after the rains. These goathead vines are tough customers, lol... like the goldurned 'Terminator' they just keep a-comin', and they never quit! :oops:

Baking soda

Dump a small box and watch what happens to the vines. Most plant want acidic soil. Baking soda makes the soil alkaline.

After the vines are killed you can use acidifier like that used for blueberries etc to get the pH down again.

20220824_202418.jpg

My granddaughters wanted to do a baking soda experiment they saw on Youtube. We dug a hole and filled it with baking soda left over from some soda blasting. It has been years but the grass is only now starting to creep up on that hole.

Try it

One small box of baking soda dumped on 2 small areas and watch what happens.

Trying to help.

Ben

@Neb Most of the credits will count as electives toward the 4 year degree I hope she will get someday. But the classes are all specific to the Culinary Arts program.
Great you are letting her follow her passion and supporting her. Some know what they want to do. Some change their minds. Sometimes a one or two year trade is valuable. All my girls have a degree. 4 have 4 year and one has a 3 year and all work and can support themselves if they have to. One 4 year got her real estate license last year and is working on her master in counseling while teaching. Proud of all.

@Neb Most of the credits will count as electives toward the 4 year degree I hope she will get someday. But the classes are all specific to the Culinary Arts program.

When it comes to college credits are credits. My philosophy and psychology courses counted toward my degree in engineering and physics. It isn't important how she starts but how and if she finishes.

Let her start with what engages her.

On the other extreme...

There are hard working chefs that have their own restaurants that make more than I ever made.

People will always eat but not everyone needs an engineer or physicist.

It is good @Spikedriver !

Ben

Great you are letting her follow her passion and supporting her. Some know what they want to do. Some change their minds. Sometimes a one or two year trade is valuable. All my girls have a degree. 4 have 4 year and one has a 3 year and all work and can support themselves if they have to. One 4 year got her real estate license last year and is working on her master in counseling while teaching. Proud of all.
There you go!

Let them find their paths.

Ben

When it comes to college credits are credits. My philosophy and psychology courses counted toward my degree in engineering and physics. It isn't important how she starts but how and if she finishes.

Let her start with what engages her.

On the other extreme...

There are hard working chefs that have their own restaurants that make more than I ever made.

People will always eat but not everyone needs an engineer or physicist.

It is good @Spikedriver !

Ben
At this point, she says she wants to study graphic design at Iowa State University. That's one of those degrees that people generally don't make a lot of money with. But, most students change degrees 2 or 3 times in college so who knows?

I'd like her to get a background in a trade. Licensed Practical Nurses make decent money with a 1 year degree. There are several others to think as well.

She definitely needs some kind of degree though, because she doesn't have the constitution for a life of "hard" work...

I'll just say this: happiness is paramount, no matter what line of work you choose. Sure, money is important, but as long as a person makes enough to cover the bills and put a little aside, the happiness is more important. I've known folks who made heller money and they were miserable... just sayin'. :confused:

I wouldn't wish a 'trucking career' on anybody nowadays, but back when I was playing the "paid tourist" ('turista pagado' en espanol) I had more fun than I ever had on any other job, lol. But I agree, Spikedriver, your daughter should learn a trade, and not just get some worthless libtard degree in 'Underwater Basket-Weaving!' :oops:

Edit: Wait, 'Underwater Basket-Weaving' may actually become a paying trade if Al Gore and the other global warming kooks are correct! Maybe it'd pay off like a long shot at the Kentucky Derby, lol. So don't write off that major, but the Social Studies & Art History degrees can probably hit the round file... ;)

Last edited:
At this point, she says she wants to study graphic design at Iowa State University. That's one of those degrees that people generally don't make a lot of money with. But, most students change degrees 2 or 3 times in college so who knows?

I'd like her to get a background in a trade. Licensed Practical Nurses make decent money with a 1 year degree. There are several others to think as well.

She definitely needs some kind of degree though, because she doesn't have the constitution for a life of "hard" work...
If she's in to graphics, maybe have her look at architecure. Lots of ways to use that degree. Maybe a fit??

I got up and swept up the hallway, mild cleaning in the kitchen, connected the water supply lines to the 3/8" mpt parts on the shutoffs under my sink but couldn't get the old supply lines off the faucet. Its set up so all my friend has to do when he comes over is remove the old supply lines and screw on the new ones.
Took the trash out and put in a new bag. Went outside & picked up stuff from the lawn and put it on the porch so it won't rust or get ruined. Had to haul in the stepladder that my brother was supposed to bring in. Its bulky & kept tangling on weeds so it was a pain.
Went back out again to find something that got left in the truck. Cooked pork chops, and am now resting.

If she's in to graphics, maybe have her look at architecure. Lots of ways to use that degree. Maybe a fit??
Possibly, but I don't think she wants to get into the details and technical specifics. She would only be interested in the artistic parts of architecture. She would be better with landscape design.

I'm guessing this will change before she's done. Her first love is literature, reading and writing. She doesn't want to teach, and there aren't many paying jobs in that field. But, who knows? She's only 16, she's got a long way to go before those decisions have to be made.

Possibly, but I don't think she wants to get into the details and technical specifics. She would only be interested in the artistic parts of architecture. She would be better with landscape design.

I'm guessing this will change before she's done. Her first love is literature, reading and writing. She doesn't want to teach, and there aren't many paying jobs in that field. But, who knows? She's only 16, she's got a long way to go before those decisions have to be made.
My niece took Art and Architechure as one. Landscape design was part of her course work. Several from her class went that direction.
I think it's awesome she is getting a start this early. Good on her, and on you

Looked up information on dehydrated potatoes.
Looked up a air fried potato wedge recipe.
Watched a video about sewing with a Singer 127.
Planted lettuce for the winter garden.
Pulled up some dead plants.
Found a four o'clock had come up in a flower bed and was glad about that.
Started raining.
Started laundry a day early because our dishwasher is being replaced and we don't know when Sanders will have a plumber available. They have good service and their prices are usually reasonable so we will wait for them.
Fertilized tomatoes for the winter garden.
Looked at a cold frame design for the winter garden.
Put my Granny's quilting bar together for the first time. Still haven't figured out how it works yet.
Need to do schoolwork and hem my work pants. I think I'll use Sybil the Bernina to hem the pants.

Latest posts

Back