What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lazy day today mostly. Cleaned up after a crowd here yesterday. We did go out and watch the final day of the Blue Angels. Still cloudy, but a much higher deck where it wasn't broken. So they got to do their full show. Still from the house we didn't get to see a lot, but more than yesterday
Gettin ready for work tomorrow. Start 1st day of Spectrum Management class tomorrow. 12 weeks worth, hope it goes well.

Day 2 of the jeep tear down, I think we got everything we wanted from this one. Jake and I worked most of the day and got about everything we need off of this one. I bought another junk jeep for parts we will get it next weekend and tear it down.

102004CD-34F2-4567-9FE5-6CBECCE37CFD.jpeg
35A0C806-703D-4E0E-8A72-FDA1957E6A2B.jpeg
D96E1156-F01C-46C2-BC73-B9F681DD7FF4.jpeg
5E261DDD-046E-4809-B7A5-F90E07122B69.jpeg

I visited my friend and helped him move a freezer back in. He had taken it out bc it was completely frozen over inside and he had to thaw it out. Grabbed takeout food from a local place. Stuffed my face with fried chicken and mom had catfish.

I'm about to take a nap before I take my meds. Body still hates me.

Hashbrown, that's a good way for a young man to pick up valuable skills: working with tools, figuring out how to take things apart (and put 'em back together, lol), learning to place a monetary value on various parts which need to be replaced, etc. Good on ya for helping him out... :cool:

Crashed early last night (around 2000 hours), so now I'm wide awake at 0330, lol... gonna have a cold beer while I check the web, then catch another couple of hours sleep. No worries, today is trash day and I think I may also burn some of the weed piles that have browned out, we'll see if the weather complies. Town run later to resupply... :rolleyes:

We are going to work on one of the gardens today and try to get it ready for tilling and planting winter rye. This is more than a 1 day job but we'll get started. It is supposed to rain again today so we will see.
I processed some apples yesterday ( cut up and froze for cakes) and we got a load of hay delivered

Visited a friend whose Mother died recently, and then called into my local butchers. I always end up in there ages if he's not busy; discussing the world! A butcher in the next county closed this week; so he had taken his stock, so I snagged myself a few bargains and listened to him explaining his fears for his business, society and the world at large. Have an elderly aunt coming to stay a few days so a bit of a clean up is in order, getting her room ready.

Walked first, but I am tired. Two nights of 4 plus hours sleep- no naps.
Going out to the shed to search for Christmas lights and some empty containers for flour.
New doctor appt. early this afternoon--so fasting until then.
Cut carrots for dog treats and sweet potatoes to dehydrate for dogs.
Make sweet pickle brine to throw some cucumbers in (fridge).
Make pumpkin walnut raisin muffins.
That should do it for today! Have a good week folks!

Day 2 of the jeep tear down, I think we got everything we wanted from this one. Jake and I worked most of the day and got about everything we need off of this one. I bought another junk jeep for parts we will get it next weekend and tear it down.

View attachment 94137View attachment 94138View attachment 94139View attachment 94140
Makes me miss the good old days with my brother, he had a Jeep exactly like that! we got a bunch of sheet metal and bondo and built a cab for that monster, darn thing must have weighed 300 pounds by the time we added the extra roll bars and got it all welded, bolted and bondoed up.

Got to love red neck engineering!

My grandson was out running around with friends last night when his mother called and told him to come home. 30 minutes later, 3 of the 4 he had been with died in a car wreck.

I had planned to purchase a Simplisafe security system today since rain was scheduled but I receive an e-mail from them bumping the discount from 20% to 40%. I pulled the trigger and ordered it. Saved a good bit.

Set up the account and installed the app on my smartphone and I just have to wait for it to ship.

I spent sometime researching how transplant trees and shrubs. I am convinced I should spend time now to prepare the ground where the transplant will go. The location for the vineyard is going to take some effort to clear the multiflora rose and japanese barberry. Just cutting them back is not going to be enough.

So have have some shovel work planned for tomorrow.

Ben

OMG good thing he obeyed momma!
Being a good kid saved his butt!
He is a good kid. He is working 40 hours a week at Dominos, taking college classes and has been working weekends cleaning the trash out of houses for a house flipper. He is only 17 and graduated high school early.

Sounds like a great kid, Rusty, and am glad he's ok.
I am now in the recliner with a cup of coffee, feet up, survived a full day at the state fair. We had a great time. But boy did it ever get hot this afternoon. Supposed to be in the 80's, but we were reading 99 out there, probably because of all the pavement and not much shade. Little granddaughter was very brave and rode alot of rides. I tried a deep fried snickers bar and she tried a deep fried twinkie. Got to do it once.

I was finally tired of wasps flying around my head every time I walked outside on the porch. Today I put on my bee hood and gloves and killed all the wasps on my front porch and in the shop. I had bought a couple cans of hornet and wasp killer, used it to good effect. There was a big Guinea Wasp nest right above my door, 23 dead wasps dropped from it. There were two smaller red wasp nests. Then I got 5 nests in the shop and another big one in the peach house.

Next I spent a little time with my new chainsaw. Finally had a chance to give it a good workout. I'm a happy camper, darned good saw.

Hopefully I can finally get all the tree tops on the brush pile tomorrow cause I got them cut up today.

Watch a little more tv then hit the rack.

Scrubbed the everloving crap out of my bathroom floor square by square bc mopping wasn't cutting it. It has a texture that collects dirt. Put toilet in the room and got supplies for installing it all ready. Marked pex with tape where I wanted it cut. Aligned flange bolts. Went to walmart to pick up a new waxless seal (could not find mine for the life of me). Went to friend's house with a 3-bag hamper that needed to be assembled & put it together while waiting for him to get back from an appointment. Finished it just as he rolled up. He installed the toilet, then the latch & dummy knob for the pantry. Dropped him off at home and back to Walmart for stuff Mom requested. Got myself a metal and cloth hamper that I need to assemble. Fed mom and ate a salad. Glued a small piece of plastic that broke off the toilet seat back on with superglue (it was necessary to make the seat stay on the toilet). Needs to cure 24hours. Put my new trash can in the bathroom along with some tp and some wet wipes. I'm about to take my meds and then see if I can assemble that hamper.

I'm exhausted but I'm happy. Toilet can still be used even without the seat in a pinch.

Wow, Rusty, thank God your grandson is ok.
Today was my first day of time off from work that I've desperately needed. Started the day with a ride on my bicycle, watered the garden, took a nap, and went for a nice long motorcycle ride before having a late supper. Tomorrow I need to start on on the chores that have piled up, but it was nice to rest today.

Slow morning here, no weeding today, I gotta take a break... I pulled more goatheads yesterday and threw 'em in the trash bin before the trash guy showed up in a brand-new truck, lol. I always liked climbing into a new(er) truck during my 'trucking daze'---one tractor only had 11K miles on the odometer, which was nothing, it was barely "run in" for road use. Still had that new truck smell to it, lol. Anyway, I'm cooking the burritos today, I never got around to it yesterday as I was watching a movie, then it got late so I just ate something else, lol. I gotta clean up my room a bit, swap out the cat litter box for a larger (deeper) box, and vacuum all the litter grit tossed by the kittens. Gonna run with a larger beach towel under the box, in an effort to keep litter grit out of the carpet. Darned kittens! Making work for me even though I have home rehab tasks stacked to the rafters, lol. The blasted varmints!!! :oops:

I'm so glad that your grandson listened to his mom @rusty !

This morning I slept in until 6:15. Yay! 7 hours.
Walked myself and then walked dogs.
Put sweet potato chips that were made yesterday, away.
Washed rugs and blankets.
Have someone coming to fix leaking toilet at 1 pm.
Still need to make Healthy muffins and salad today.
Harvest anything that is ready.

Wingnut, I don't know if petsmart still sells them but I got some rubbery mats with pockets in them that sat in front of and under the litterpans that caught most of the litter those little jerks tossed out. It really does help. Better than a towel because cats may choose to pee on the towel and soak the carpet. I really wish they made the base of the litterboxes more stable to keep them from tipping. (The cat food bag was where I store the filled bags from the litter genie so they don't get torn open. If litter gets spilled on the mats you can pull them out, fold them in half, and dump the litter back into the boxes.
20160819_023328.jpg
I woke up about an hour ago and have been looking up how to make tank topper/johnny cabinets because I need extra storage in my bathroom and my brother will need a lot of storage in his when it gets done because he has a LOT of stuff cluttering up the bathroom. I want room for cleaning supplies, bandaids, antibiotic cream, etc.

Last edited:
Been busy and lazy lately. Finally found a way to get some good sleep and over the weekend I put it to use and took naps during the day and went to bed early, this old body is finally getting the rest it lacked for FAR too many years. Moisture is finally coming to southern Utah and we are supposed to have a couple rainy days here. We are getting a steady light rain, but with real rain drops and not the tiny sprinkle stuff that is common for our area. The best part, it is 62* right now and not supposed to get much warmer. I think I may need a sweatshirt in the house, and it feels good. The weather morons are guessing nothing higher than 75* for the next week and more rain possible throughout the week and probable in about a week.

I have been at our farmers market the last 2 Saturdays and been doing OK selling T-shirts. This past Saturday I sold 5 shirts and 3 vinyl stickers I made sized to fit the mailbox door on our bank of mailboxes. Something to help identify which box is yours and to make it look a little better than the random stickers people use to mark their mailbox. I am only selling them for $5 which is a little over breaking even based on my time invested but I bought the vinyl 12 years ago and have plenty of it so I am considering that free product at this point. The good part is I made 16 different stickers in 4 different colors and I shouldn't have to make them again any time soon but I can keep selling them for months. Basically it is another way to get myself known and it is working because I have 4 different people ordering other projects.

A few weeks ago I started digging out the side patio to prep for cement. The digging is done, I just need to cut some 2x4's and stake them in the ground for the framework. I can't find my 1/2" masonry drill bit, I have seen it many times over the past few years but now that I need it I can't find it. I want to drill into the house foundation and put in rebar to hold the concrete in place. I don't expect it to heave or settle because the dirt under it hasn't been moved in about 10,000 years but I prefer to take the extra step, along with running rebar and wire mesh to prevent/reduce cracking. Then, I get to prep the front patio area and figure out how much extra cement I will have to prep an area in front of the garage for the extra 4 yards of concrete from a full truck load.

Last Friday I went to Vegas to watch my son play football. He is in 9th grade, almost 15 years old, and playing JV. I think he is in the top 3 of the tallest, largest kids on the team which is definitely helping him since he never played football before and is learning as he goes. He is an Offensive Tackle and is playing every play on offense, but since it is a smaller school they don't have many extras to sub in to allow them a break. He is #57 in this picture.
1663091219350.png

Aside from that, I got nothing new. Hope you all have a safe day.

Went ahead and watered all the trees, though there's a chance of rain in the forecast. Filled the trash bin pronto with dried weeds from one of the huge piles in my yard. Despite my vow to not pull a single weed this morning, I wound up pulling goatheads galore... if I don't, I'll fall behind, ya just can't keep up with the damned things. I sure hope next season will be easier... I'm so tired of dealing with goatheads, I believe I'm gonna write a poem about 'em. 'ODE TO A GOATHEAD' or some such title, lol. These things are driving me round the bend... :oops:

Good news is I'm on light duty for the rest of the day: dishes, a little vacuuming, then some cooking, but cooking isn't really a chore for me, I enjoy myself and drink beer while I'm doing all the prep work and actual pot stirring, lol. Those burritos will be tasty too, I have everything I need to make a big ol' batch of burrito mix... so I'll be mackin' & cr@ppin' burritos for the next few days, lol. TMI? I think not... only REAL men & women hang out at H&CL, BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Dang, sometimes I slay myself... but it's all good, I still luv ya!!! ;)

Boy, my feet are a little tired from all the yard work earlier, that's another good reason to take it easy for the rest of the day. Some days, I'm a white tornado and I get stuff done, pronto; other days, not so much, lol. I think age has something to do with it... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it, lol. Besides, I don't have anyone to impress here at the ol' hacienda, and the cats & kittens pay me no mind anyway, unless it's feeding time at the zoo. Hey, Zannej, I have the very same blue cat litter boxes in my home, the deeper ones! Great minds must think alike! Less mess too!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Glad you got some rest, Inresponse!
Wingnut, I was thinking of putting a board on the wall that the back ends of the boxes can tuck under (sort of like a ledger board for a tub but it goes over the boxes instead of under, to keep the jerks from tipping the boxes forward. They have stepped on the front edge and dumped the contents out and it shot over the mats. I tried putting puppy pads down but they just shredded them.

I just put together a Better Homes & Gardens brand laundry cart. I thought it would be good because it was metal. The metal is a little sturdier than the plastic but it went together using these crappy plastic things that clip around the metal and lock in to the indentations. Or at least they are supposed to. They kept popping right off. I had to tape them together. And even while taped they *still* didn't lock in to the little grooves properly and slid down. I had to keep pulling stuff apart and putting it back together bc something lower down slipped out of place. Or I would be trying to get something back in place and another thing would fall off. I doubt it will hold much weight, but hopefully it will still serve as some storage space. Although it is larger than I thought it would be so it takes up more space. I'd take it over and give it to my friend if I thought it wouldn't fall apart on the way. I will probably have to go back and reinforce all of the joint parts with tape just in case.

Editing to add I found a similar mat to the ones I bought but the price is waaay higher. https://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter...exquisicat-cat-litter-trapping-mat-58209.html

Last edited:
It was a wonderful day clearing a spot on The Ridge for the planned vineyard. It looked like this before I started.

20220913_132334_HDR.jpg

After an initial go with a weed wacker it was down to the stumps of the multiflora rose and Japanese barberry.

20220913_140743_HDR.jpg

Then it was shovel time to dig up the roots. Stubborn they were. There is 6-9 inches of good dirt there.

20220913_142221_HDR.jpg

After the digging I moved two large rotting logs and a bit more waking I have a place for one or two grape vines.

20220913_155056_HDR.jpg

I have one rather large grape vine that I will take more cutting from to clone. I already have about 5-6 clones from that vine. The next larger I have yet to clone. I will be trying to clone this winter.

I am happy with Today's progress and am glad it is ready for the transplanting this December.

Ben

Last edited:
Tendinitis… can’t believe I gave myself tendinitis in my right elbow. Now I have to stop playing music for a few days. There are 4 bluegrass festivals next month. I hope to attend 2 of them. I intended to show up ready to play a 50minute set. I know a lot of bluegrass folks, might be asked to play a set with someone. Even so there’ll be hours of picking off stage. A bluegrass festival is a marathon for pickers. You know it was a good weekend when your hands are sore, fingers are in pain and your strings are dead.

Until a month ago I’d hadn’t really played in 6yrs. Get ready in 6 weeks? I could have done it but it takes a lot of work, playing 3hrs a day. Now my elbow tendons are inflamed from playing. Getting old bites!!!! I started taking Solomon’s Seal last night but I still have to rest it so it can heal. Did I mention getting old bites?

More chainsaw work this afternoon. I got the big pine out of the lower pasture. It was hot, soaked my shirt. More trees to move tomorrow.

It was a wonderful day clearing a spot on The Ridge for the planned vineyard. It looked like this before I started.

View attachment 94214

After an initial go with a weed wacker it was down to the stumps of the multiflora rose and Japanese barberry.

View attachment 94215

Then it was shovel time to dig up the roots. Stubborn they were. There is 6-9 inches of good dirt there.

View attachment 94216

After the digging I moved two large rotting logs and a bit more waking I have a place for one or two grape vines.

View attachment 94219

I have one rather large grape vine that I will take more cutting from to clone. I already have about 5-6 clones from that vine. The next larger I have yet to clone. I will be trying to clone this winter.

I am happy with Today's progress and am glad it is ready for the transplanting this December.

Ben
With all the new vines, are you making wine or jam or both?

Latest posts

Back