What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working and procrastinating doing homework this evening. I'm very tired and have errands to run after I get off work. I kind of just want to eat dinner and go to bed early when I get home. Meh...

There was a planned power outage for this morning to make repairs and upgrades in the area. I told everyone a few times over the last few days, even told them yesterday afternoon. This morning at 7am the power went out. At about 7:20 my phone rings, and scares the crap out of me because I was sound asleep, and one of the girls tells me the power is out, then says the incubator for the ducks that just started hatching last night needs electricity or the ducks will all die. Soooo, I dig the generator out of the pile of stuff in the garage, drag it to the backyard, open the fuel valve, turn on the switch and pull the cord to start it. I didn't even pull the cord hard or fast and before it was half way the engine fired up and ran perfectly. I did not expect that at all, but I guess I did good last year when I added the fuel stabilizer, ran it a bit, turned off the fuel valve and let it run dry before I put it away.

The power was out about 3 or 4 hours, the generator did it's job, the ducks survived and 3 more hatched so we have 4 walking around in the incubator waiting for the last 2 to pop out later today. I managed to get a couple more hours sleep, still trying to catch up to years of not sleeping well, but I am still grumpy. Not the way I wanted to start my day. I could have had the generator out yesterday afternoon and ready when needed. I guess I could have also been the one to realize the incubator would need a back up power source but I have no part of that process so I guess I was hoping one of them would have thought about it.

Waiting for a call from a lady that ordered some vinyl designs and a shirt, maybe when I get some cash in my hand I will be in a better mood. Time to put the generator away.

Hey Sonya, with you there on the why aren't there many farmers at the farmer's market. Most have been taken over with high priced junk. Funny, the company we had a few weeks ago had been traveling a number of states in the past few months and said the same thing. The only explanation I have is maybe the farmers are too busy. I have a large garden and could sell eggs, baked goods, and overage on my garden, but I don't have the time. I trade stuff with neighbors and family and get stuff in return. I know a lady across our road set up a huge greenhouse and she sells mostly flowers and herbs out of there in the spring. Summer and now she sells produce. She used to sell at our farmer's market, but doesn't anymore. She has a driveway alarm that lets her know when someone pulls in and she'll come out. Right now she has peppers, tomatoes, greenbeans, and some plants.
Son from New Mexico is visiting, and we planned out another greenhouse. Went into town to see what's available for supplies. Figured out where to put it. So he's going for the supplies first thing tomorrow morning and we will do the build together in one day. He has to leave for home the next day. Picked a bucket of tomatoes, took some ham out of the freeze dryer, need to blanche some eggplant to put in the freeze dryer...,mostly because I have lots of it, don't know what to do with it. Not my favorite. Grew it for husband, but he's not sure how he wants it cooked.

I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants today, except for volunteering at the old cemetery today. I plan to take pictures of the fall colors there.

Mom finally scheduled the appointment to have the dishwasher installed.
Infra-red film in cemeteries was one of my favorite adventures! In the fog!

A bummer afternoon for me.

We have been moving our accounts from a bank to a local credit union because we don't trust banks. The Princess has handled it so far but we have 2 LLCs owned by us and my brother that have to be business accounts.

So had to sit there and sign 7 zillion documents because I am the primary for the LLCs.

So the only fun thing I did was get up and leave when I was done.

Ben

Bummer, Neb. Sitting at a bank is at the top ten of things I don't like to do.
We paid off our house in New Mexico. It took forever at Wells Fargo. All afternoon. We sold our business and then paid off the house. Then sold the house and transferred the money to Kansas. Then paid off the farm. The last transaction was the easiest one. We were at the bank so long that I thought they needed to serve us lunch.

A bummer afternoon for me.

We have been moving our accounts from a bank to a local credit union because we don't trust banks. The Princess has handled it so far but we have 2 LLCs owned by us and my brother that have to be business accounts.

So had to sit there and sign 7 zillion documents because I am the primary for the LLCs.

So the only fun thing I did was get up and leave when I was done.

Ben
Takes nads of steel to make that move Neb, my hat's off to you! the less of our money they have access to, the less they can use against us!

More chainsaw work today, got 3 more of the downed trees cut up an moved to the brush pile. I have one tree left to move then I can rebuild my chicken pen. I have everything needed, new wire for perimeter fence, posts and plenty of QuikCrete. The little hens have been “cooped up” far to long.

I had 3 loads of laundry this afternoon. It was also hat day. I have a lot of ball caps, a big drawer packed full. I keep 8 caps and 2 boonie hats on a wall rack near my door, grab a different one every time I go out. It was time to wash and rotate them. I’d recently purchased a couple new ones too.

I’m not used to running a saw, even a couple hours on 3 consecutive days was tough, left me sore all over. An hot! There was no shade today, everything I did was in full sun. Temp about 90, I could have wrung sweat out of my clothes. Drinking water tonight, still thirsty, trying to hydrate.

Last edited:
More chainsaw work today, got 3 more of the downed trees cut up an moved to the brush pile. I have one tree left to move then I can rebuild my chicken pen. I have everything needed, new wire for perimeter fence, posts and plenty of QuikCrete. The little hens have been “cooped up” far to long.

I had 3 loads of laundry this afternoon. It was also hat day. I have a lot of ball caps, a big drawer packed full. I keep 8 caps and 2 boonie hats on a wall rack near my door. It was time to wash and rotate them. I’d recently purchased a couple new ones too.

I’m not used to running a saw, even a couple hours on 3 consecutive days was tough, left me sore all over. An hot! There was no shade today, everything I did was in full sun. Temp about 90, I could have wrung sweat out of my clothes. Drinking water tonight, still thirsty, trying to hydrate.
Good job Peanut. But don't over do it in the heat

It rained again last night, not as hard as before, but that kept the ground moist, so I pulled weeds for another solid 2 hours this morning, and NOW my yard looks SWEET... not counting those huge stacks of pulled weeds boxing the compass, lol. I also paid the latest water bill, washed my car at one of those quarter-fed car washes, recycled the old KLR oil at O'Reilly Auto Parts and tossed the empty plastic jug into the nearest trash can, dropped materials off at the library and grabbed some more Western novels, delivered some outgoing mail, and hit the store to buy a 40-lb. bag o' bird seed, some more beer, canned cat food (shelves mostly empty), some Cadbury chocolate bars (gonna split 'em & bag 'em, then take 'em with me on my trail ride manana), and some other BS I needed for the cats or myself, lol. Whew, that was a long sentence!!! But I'm man enough to handle the job, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :oops:

I also made things right with that cat litter box in my room, that situation definitely needed to improve, lol. After giving myself a Waffen SS haircut with the ol' electric hair clippers, I took another shower & did a load of laundry so I have the "good socks" to wear on tomorrow's bad boy trail ride, lol. Some of the heavy-duty wool socks & high-tech mountaineering socks I have aren't really suitable for trail riding in Forma Boots, which are NOT my first choice in riding boots... BUT they fit quite well, I got 'em for an extra C-note when I bought the bike, and that's what I'm wearing manana, lol. Anyway, I'm doing alright, I'll be macking another DELUXE BURRITO in short order, and baking some pot brownies while I watch a movie or DVD, lol. I kinda wish Magus were here to share this burrito fest and big screen TV action, I think he'd enjoy it, lol... I gave some bud to two younger guys who were demo'ing a trailer home a few blocks away, and those boyz were mighty grateful, lol. :cool:

SADDLE TIME, MY FRIEND, SADDLE TIME!!! :cool:

I am so there, BROTHER, all I can tell ya is that you'll PROBABLY like the photos I take with the little Canon cam, lol. ;)

That little "Power Shot ELPH 360 HS" camera was purchased SOLELY because it would fit in a pocket during one of my rides, AYE? And it's NOT a bad little camera, it just has its limitations, but Ansel Adams I ain't, lol. :confused:

Haha, Peanut, this guy I used to know made 'shine with various fruit flavors... berries in the mash or whatever. But damn, that 'shine was TASTY, yeah? Smooth and delicious, with a nice afterburn, lol. :oops:

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" That 'shine was GOOOOOOD!!! :cool:

Seriously, I have no room for almost empty bottles. That cabinet is packed, standing room only as it were. Did inventory last week...

Seems I had a strong vodka and lemonade last may... don't drink but rarely.

Tincture mixa.JPG

Playing catch-up today.
Dear son was doing really well on his recovery, then hit a pretty big set-back. He's back in the hospital and in a great deal of pain. He has to go through all this until he's healed past this hurdle, but it is oh so hard to watch.
Mama spit doesn't fix a dang thing anymore....
Sigh.
While he's hospitalized, I'm going to get caught up on the basics - laundry, groceries, maybe a little canning, etc. And see if I can't take care of this bathroom reno once and for all.

Playing catch-up today.
Dear son was doing really well on his recovery, then hit a pretty big set-back. He's back in the hospital and in a great deal of pain. He has to go through all this until he's healed past this hurdle, but it is oh so hard to watch.
Mama spit doesn't fix a dang thing anymore....
Sigh.
While he's hospitalized, I'm going to get caught up on the basics - laundry, groceries, maybe a little canning, etc. And see if I can't take care of this bathroom reno once and for all.
Hope your son makes a quick turn around and his pain eases!! Lots of prayers!!

Already walked.
Next, I will make labels and put away figs that were canned yesterday.
Then, prune roses and pull a few weeds around some herbs out front.
DH is taking little dog to vet for nail trim.
I ordered a 4 foot Christmas tree (white and pre-lit) from Amazon, so I need to set that up and make sure it works. Don't want to wait until I can't send it back. I will keep it in my bedroom until November at least.

Getting ready to breed my does now that the temperature is below 80 here. I didn't want to breed them this late in the year but bucks go heat sterile in temps above 80-85! I trimmed everyones nails so they can't hurt each other while breeding. I did end up with a few scratches but they all got done. My does were mad at me the rest of the day. Oh well. I am planning on having the grow outs during winter and that is if I breed at the end of this month. K and I will move them into the garage once they are weaned.

Making sure we have our pantry topped off and our gas tanks/cans.

That's usually how it goes when I have to have blood work. A young, new person has a hard time getting it because my veins can roll. A more experienced tech usually gets it in about 30 seconds.
Over the last year, I have had 8 IVs and 20 blood draws. This is the first young nurse and the first time it took more than one stick.

Built new roosts in the chicken coop today. The people before us had a tangled up mess of little poles tied together every which way. It was a pain in the posterior to clean or walk around in there or collect eggs.

The new roost is made with three 2 x 4 stringers notched like stairs, with five 2x4 steps so the chickens can sit on their feet to keep them warm in below freezing temperatures.

The unit is 8 ft wide x 8 ft long and is hinged at the top, to the wall. The lowest roost is 4 ft off the floor with legs to hold the lower end up.

To clean the coop, I just have to pivot the legs up along side the stringers and drop the whole shebang to hang against the wall out of the way.

Latest posts

Back