What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Landshark has ear infections and itchy feet again.
Landshark's diet is spotless.
Her food is 100% grain free and stupid expensive and she never gets snacks.
EVER.
Then I caught her eating duck poop in her pen.
The dog and the poultry can not share the same space because dog + duck = dead duck.
Landshark's pen consists of 5 strands of electric wire to made a large outdoor run that's 6 feet tall.
I turn the fence off when Landshark is indoors and then let the ducks and chickens out so they can keep the grass down so the poultry do get in the pen and poop and drink her water.

I think the duck/ poultry poop is giving her the allergic reactions.
She's allergic to grains.

I might try keeping the electric fence on and see if it keeps the poultry out of the dog pen.

@Tommyice what herbs and seasonings will you be using in your tomato sauce?
:brewing:
Congratulations to The Princess and @Neb . I enjoy reading about the all the stuff you two do for each other.
@Mel that’s awful, on occasion I’ve had find a vein problems, like pin the tail on the pony.
I plan on using the recipe in the NCHFP guidebook. It's got onion, garlic, pepper or celery, oregano, parsley and brown sugar.

Griz78, when me beloved & dear departed mum passed away, it devolved upon me to clear her house prior to sale. Like many in her generation, me mum was a hoarder, that's just the way it was, so I had to tackle this house full of cr@p stacked to the rafters... I'm talking about some serious hoarding. Much of the stuff was useless junk like old magazines & boxes of stuff that should've been donated years earlier, etc. Long story short, it took MONTHS to clear that home, filling two large wheeled trash & recycling bins every week... OVER 40 BINS!!! Large bins too, not the half-pint size, lol. Thing was, I had to carefully go through EVERYTHING, even the old tattered books & magazines & newspapers, just in case she had hidden anything in them due to dementia, ya know? :oops:

It was a daunting task, clearing that house, but I eventually got it done, and my brother (estate attorney & executor of the will) was happy... we did well in the estate sale too, while I donated some older cr@ppy furniture & whatnot to Goodwill and whoever else. BTW, you can unload a lot of stuff that way, and the thrift stores will often send a driver to pick it up and haul it off... that was another part of the house-clearing campaign, I think I made 5 donations over several months, not full truckloads but plenty o' stuff we no longer wanted or needed. Every little bit helped in removing stuff and clearing that home, it was a REAL JOB OF WORK, lol. I know some other site members are dealing with clutter, maybe that info will help 'em out... I have some boxes to donate here in Alamo, but they're few in number. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That sounds good, @Tommyice
I do ok with three specific brands of spaghetti sauce, sometimes ok with hunt’s canned, but have not done well with homemade no matter who made it.
@Wingnut that must have been grueling to have to do that. Me mum was raised in the depression era but didn’t hold on to too much. Figure the number of kids in a family adds to it, just does. Glad my sister took charge of the estate and clearing stuff out, and I had little kids to take care of.
@Tank-Girl so sorry Landshark has an infection. Hope it clears up fast. Has she been much calmer since her surgery?

That sounds good, @Tommyice
I do ok with three specific brands of spaghetti sauce, sometimes ok with hunt’s canned, but have not done well with homemade no matter who made it.
@Wingnut that must have been grueling to have to do that. Me mum was raised in the depression era but didn’t hold on to too much. Figure the number of kids in a family adds to it, just does. Glad my sister took charge of the estate and clearing stuff out, and I had little kids to take care of.
@Tank-Girl so sorry Landshark has an infection. Hope it clears up fast. Has she been much calmer since her surgery?

Calmer to a degree.
She's at 80% of what she was in the spaz department and she's still EXTRA.
She's put on a lot of beef...filled out and lost all traces of puppy lankyness.
With that extra muscle she's that much stronger.
Zoomie time is terrifying and I tend to supervise that behind a fence because she just mows me down/ body checks me at a full flying gallop.
I know better to even bring out the tug toy before she's behind the fence.
Once I'm down she's climbing all over me.
It's not with vicious intent but she has zero respect for my personal space and I really need to do more work with her with the e-collar and give her a good hard zap and a loud NO before she launches herself at me.
Once she works the wiggles out she's a lot better but not enough to bring the tug toy out.

Griz78, when me beloved & dear departed mum passed away, it devolved upon me to clear her house prior to sale. Like many in her generation, me mum was a hoarder, that's just the way it was, so I had to tackle this house full of cr@p stacked to the rafters... I'm talking about some serious hoarding. Much of the stuff was useless junk like old magazines & boxes of stuff that should've been donated years earlier, etc. Long story short, it took MONTHS to clear that home, filling two large wheeled trash & recycling bins every week... OVER 40 BINS!!! Large bins too, not the half-pint size, lol. Thing was, I had to carefully go through EVERYTHING, even the old tattered books & magazines & newspapers, just in case she had hidden anything in them due to dementia, ya know? :oops:

It was a daunting task, clearing that house, but I eventually got it done, and my brother (estate attorney & executor of the will) was happy... we did well in the estate sale too, while I donated some older cr@ppy furniture & whatnot to Goodwill and whoever else. BTW, you can unload a lot of stuff that way, and the thrift stores will often send a driver to pick it up and haul it off... that was another part of the house-clearing campaign, I think I made 5 donations over several months, not full truckloads but plenty o' stuff we no longer wanted or needed. Every little bit helped in removing stuff and clearing that home, it was a REAL JOB OF WORK, lol. I know some other site members are dealing with clutter, maybe that info will help 'em out... I have some boxes to donate here in Alamo, but they're few in number. :rolleyes:
Thank you. Luckily she isn't so much of a hoarder. So it's not horrible going through stuff. Her and my brother are getting through most of the stuff so by and large I just have to load it and haul it away.

Ben, early congratulations on your anniversary. That is a cool vehicle! I wanted one of those from TSC but saw them trying to steer it when driving it inside the store (to set it up as a display) and the woman was struggling hard. No power steering apparently. I'd want one with power steering. LOL. Would have been fun to drive out around my fence perimeter in one of those.

Tank-Girl, I hope the ear infection will clear up on Landshark.

Today was really a blurr. I know I didn't go right back to sleep but I can't remember most of the day. I kept getting brain freeze. Got stuff out so Mom could make herself a sandwhich and had a bowl of cereal before taking a nap. Don't remember much beyond that. Just woke up and realized my brother wasn't home and got worried. Mom asked him to clean up so he went over to a friend's house after work instead of coming home. He always does that when he's supposed to do something. I don't know if its deliberate or a subconscious way to avoid doing stuff.

I just heard the door so he's home now.

I've been awake all night, no idea why, can't remember why I got up nor really what I did. got more funny scratches and fur on my mouth though.
hope I didn't kiss a cat or eat a live possum or something!

I do that also. I warn them I will pass out if they don't get it the first time. I don't go to the doctor very often but last couple of times I did I found some older lady at the doctors that did a really great painless job on the first try. I was impressed.
I was in the Hospital, Ebery night around 2AM they would eake me up to draw blood, I guess your blood is different at 2am than 2 PM IDK, anyway, Girl sticks me 4 times to get blood, The next night, I told her . You get one shot, after that you LEAVE, she missed and wanted to try again. I told her to get out . About an hour latter the ER head nurse comes into my room and gets the blood first time. I did not even feel it

I'll be going next door to Dad's soon to have breakfast and start on canning up the sauce. Will also do the "dip in hot water" to peel the remaining tomatoes and get them diced up for canning after the sauce is complete. With this extra done, we're gonna need more shelf space. Got the brackets and the wood at Lowe's yesterday to accomplish that. So in the afternoon/evening I'll be taking jars off that wall of shelves and marking for the new ones. Dad will take care of getting them up during the week.

We also picked up some soil at Lowe's for an additional raised bed. This one is one of those galvanized ones--4' x 6'. Next year it will primarily be for cucumbers, but I'm going to try to get some spinach in it for autumn and use a poly row cover if necessary. Got my garlic bulbs from Stark Bros yesterday and need to get them in the ground.

We went to one just south of us and no one was selling vegetables. just jellies and crafts.
D&D trade days. In Sontag
60 Rod case td
2nd saturday each math. They are on face book. They had, okra,squash, peas

Happy Anniversary to Ben and Princess!!!

Didn't have enough of a harvest with sweet potatoes or sunchokes to do them next year at least in the semi shaded area they were in this year. I got everything dug up, the fence down and border bricks picked up and moved. Big job for me, but I am so glad it is done.

Today will be Church first.
Walk dogs.
Prune roses and herbs, etc. in front.
Make "nice" cream for popsicles.
I'm doing a Liver cleanse today, so no dinner.

In a couple of hours I'm thinking laundry and get started on my car door.
Its bad when the metal is so thin on a vehicle you can't even spot welt the crap! Detroit can eat my shorts!

Its bad when the metal is so thin on a vehicle you can't even spot welt the crap! Detroit can eat my shorts!
little tip
If the washer at the laundry mat uses the type of coin slot where you place the coin on a trey and push it into the box, Tran down and break off a piece of the vinyl floor tile use your fingernail clippers to copy a quarter. Lol I read that somewhere many many years ago🤥😵‍💫

Heading outside to feed the donkey and water. Going to clean my building then a quick run by Walmart! Making chicken pasta salad when I get home and getting a few things done around the house. Pool time in the hot afternoon!!
Is chicken pasta the same as chicken spaghetti?

little tip
If the washer at the laundry mat uses the type of coin slot where you place the coin on a trey and push it into the box, Tran down and break off a piece of the vinyl floor tile use your fingernail clippers to copy a quarter. Lol I read that somewhere many many years ago🤥😵‍💫
Nah, I like the old lady that runs the place. you can put a strip of duct tape on a twenty and jerk it back at the quarter machine and get quarters too.

Sunday morning watering session, beautiful weather out there. Pulled some goathead vines but my heart wasn't in it, lol. Now I'm doing laundry and kicking back... gonna be a slow day, just the way I like it on Sunday. No plans to leave my property either, can't think of anything I need in town. Still working on cat introductions, wish they'd all just get along... but I haven't given up yet. It's a Zen exercise in patience... :oops:

It's been a tiring few weeks past here. I have a bunch to do things but today I'd really just like to walk the dog n get caught up n relax some.
In a nutshell I had my truck maintenance done by my machanic n when I picked it up I was asked if I had issues with my ignition. I havent but was told It essentially will be now. The tumblers in the ignition cylinder starting sticking bad n it was hell to turn t ok start.
He said he thought my key was worn out n i had to get a new key. I had my spare I've never used , so I got it out n nope. My cylinder/tumblers were messed up. My machanic said he fought with it the whole time he had my truck. My truck is 18 years old..I get stuff breaks n perhaps it was just rotten timing. But I felt i got left hanging on a friday ,labor day weekend with my only vehicle i couldnt reliably start.
Thankfully my friends car has been parked at my place and i was givin permission to use it . I havent used it up until now.
I really need a new truck but with the economy n craziness..I've been extremely reluctant to take on any debt.
Ideally, I want to save up n pay outright for one. No debt..but as we all know that takes longer.
I got it fixed after having to wait on the part.
Work has been crazy..in the last two weeks weve changed over from pine to spruce to lodgepole , to fir n now back to pine.
I have a ill functioning valve on my machine that controls the speed of my descrambler rolls n fences. It's not holding speed right n basically it will change speed n that tosses lumber sideways down my deck, it gets corners caught where they shouldn't n I launch lumber into the air often or it gets crunched in the descrambler n hangs it all up causing a mess.
So all the wood changes n lighter woods make for a long long day fighting my machine.
Sigh...
At least wet pine is heavy n tends to not launch up or sideways as much.
Wears me out tho..
Our company is worried about the economy woes. We had a meeting n things done look good. Housing market conditions affect lumber prices. Lumber futures tanked..parts..like my valve keep getting put on backorder. We have no spare valves for any machine now..we used all we had spare ..its been 6 months since weve been able to get one. Other parts are months to over a years wait. 3 forklifts are down due to not being able to get parts..
Winter will be interesting , if we are working.
I had to put a goat down too. He was around 14 years old n his old legs finally gave out. He was a very sweet old goat.
I decided awhile back I'm done with keeping livestock over winter after my last two goats die. The two I have left do eat down the grass some and I can still use their presence as a tax break for ag use if I'm breeding n selling. But after them..no more. I'm getting older n it's not easy feeding n watering n all the crap you gotta do n work crazy hours n no help.
I admit I've thought alot about selling everything, buying g a new truck n small camper n hitting the road. Even with the housing tanking this area is still hot. My neighbor sold 8 acres bare land for 150,000. Another 10 acre parcel on my road is 175..bare land.
Maybe I'm just having a moment..idk..I'm tired..
I'm going to go walk my dog n pick elderberries..

Today is our wedding anniversary. 52 years.
We had known each other about 3 months when we got engaged. I was 17 and she was 19.
I have loved her from the first day we met.
Neither of us want or need anything so buying presents is impossible.
We can't think of a place locally we would like to go see so I guess we'll go to dinner someplace and that's about it.
My Mom tried her best to talk my wife out of marrying me. She said we were too young, I was going to be trouble, it wouldn't last and we should wait a few years. Mom was right about everything except that it wouldn't last
Mom liked her best.

Is chicken pasta the same as chicken spaghetti?
Not in this case. I'm going to cook mini bowtie pasta, drain and let it cool. Then add diced left over chicken, diced celery and onion, bacon bits, mayo, and a little ranch dressing. I do make a few hot chicken dishes over spaghetti noodles!

Today is our wedding anniversary. 52 years.
We had known each other about 3 months when we got engaged. I was 17 and she was 19.
I have loved her from the first day we met.
Neither of us want or need anything so buying presents is impossible.
We can't think of a place locally we would like to go see so I guess we'll go to dinner someplace and that's about it.
My Mom tried her best to talk my wife out of marrying me. She said we were too young, I was going to be trouble, it wouldn't last and we should wait a few years. Mom was right about everything except that it wouldn't last
Mom liked her best.
Congrats Backlash

We celebrated 28 years since we completed our home build and moved in yesterday.

INresponse, I despise power outages. I'm too spoiled by having air conditioning and fans running. I'm glad the ducklings survived. Any pics? Ducklings are adorable.
I suppose the girls have some pictures and videos, Apparently the best place they can think of for the box with the ducklings is upstairs so I haven't seen them since the first few hatched. They were supposed to send me the pictures and videos to make a video to post but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe one day.
Yesterday I was at the farmers market and had a productive day. I sold a few shirts and some stickers but one of the old guys in the neighborhood told me he has a supply of blank shirts that he wont be using and offered to sell them cheap. He also talked about a direct to garment printer he wanted to sell but it is way out of my price range. I think he said it was about $16k new and was thinking of selling it for $8k, but it also needed a new print head that would be $3k. Definitely not something I need, and being one of the first direct to garment printers it doesn't print a very clear image but the images look pretty darn good for being on fabric. Anyways, I went to his house regarding the shirts and he offered them up at $1 each and I am guessing there are about 100 on the shelves but the best part is most of them are Bayside, and American company and they are made in the USA and a very good quality shirt that usually sells for $4 each or more. He is counting them out and boxing them up for me to pick up in a few days.
I slept good last night, slept in this morning, making lunch and may actually do some work in the yard this afternoon.

Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs Backlash! That's alot of years! Love the story of you two.
Went to visit mom at the Menno Manor, and she was fairly coherent today, so that was good. Then on to Lowes to pick up more wood for the greenhouse build. Three projects going on at once....greenhouse (but it was 105 today), my whole closet rod and shelving came out of the wall and it's cheap and wasn't even put in studs so we need something way different, and a shelf just came in that needs assembly for little granddaughter's room that also needs a total cleanout and the shelf needs assembly. Another big one is a large part of a tree came down from last night's storm and will need to be chainsawed and hauled, either to the burn pile or firewood...that'll take a day in itself.
Off to my favorite cousin's for dinner. She is under the weather, on pain pills, but wanted the company tonight anyway. I saw her yesterday for a bit. Not sure what's wrong with her, but she is convinced she will get shingles for the third time and is in alot of pain. So her daughter is making the meal tonight and I'm bringing brownies by request.

Took my daughter to the Renaissance Faire in Des Moines today. We had a great time. The theme today was pirates, pets, and steampunk. Everybody had their dogs at the Ren Faire and there were some beautiful ones.

There was a hypnotist when we got there...
20220918_121445.jpg

My beautiful daughter watching the show...
20220918_122837.jpg

There was a falconry show...
20220918_130732.jpg

Jousting...
20220918_161703.jpg

And a grand entrance from the queen...
20220918_132653.jpg

We are definitely doing it again next year!

Latest posts

Back