What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started off the morning with warming up yet again the icy winds are a killer here on the mountain. After warming up a bit we folded up two loads of washing and put them away and then DH washed up the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away.

Out onto the veranda next where we packaged up the rest of the sweet potatoes into a box and the 4 large ones requested from a family we visit and will take the box to church to giveaway tomorrow. We then saw one of our next door neighbour's and asked him if he wanted some too and he grabbed 2 large ones one for him and one for his vegetarian daughter to take too.

Back inside again where I swept and boiled the kettle and prepared our dish washing liquid and ammonia mix to mop the floors and fireplace surroung with (2 tablespoons of ammonia and 1 tablespoon of dish washing liquid in 2lts of cold water and top with the same amount of hot water). This cleans both greasy vinyl floors and tiles beautifully and makes them shine.

Just read our lesson for church tomorrow and now sitting down and relaxing in front of the fire again to warm up.

Sewing, Didn't know it was still cold there ,hope things warm up soon. We use Murphys Oil soap on our wood floors, but may try dish,ammonia next although it is time to re varnish. Use to use Pine Oil but can't find any of that thats not full of chemicals anymore.

@Meerkat with your wood floors only put in 1 tablespoon of ammonia as it could strip the varnish off your polished wood floors.Mainly meant at 2 T ammonia 1T of dishwashing liquid in 4 lts of water for vinyl and tiled floors. The ammonia at a weaker strength on the wood floors will clean them beautifully and remove the grease and dirt build up though and stop that gritty feel you get while walking on them.

@Meerkat with your wood floors only put in 1 tablespoon of ammonia as it could strip the varnish off your polished wood floors.Mainly meant at 2 T ammonia 1T of dishwashing liquid in 4 lts of water for vinyl and tiled floors. The ammonia at a weaker strength on the wood floors will clean them beautifully and remove the grease and dirt build up though and stop that gritty feel you get while walking on them.

Ok Sewing. Will try next mopping.:thumbs::Thankyou:

Three turkey babes. No ducks yet at all. I went to move our three dogs out early this morning, and one of them busted out of his bedtime kennel and attacked our old dog. I ran over to them, and was knocked down flat. I put my hand on the ground to get up and was too close to them, and was bit all over my left hand and wrist. Spent all of this morning in urgent care. Nothing broken, but bites all over and my hand is all swollen up. Have it in a stupid brace so I don't keep knocking it around. Given antibiotics and a tetanus shot. So the hospital reports animal bites to the control officer, so they want me to go down there and bring them vaccination proof. Can't find the papers for the life of me, but I do have their rabies tags. Son took the dog that started it down to the pound. I feel bad about that, but not much choice. Old dog is limping, but he'll be ok. I came running in screaming (in pain, dripping blood) but husband didn't realize it was me hurt and went out without his cane to get the dogs to stop killing each other. He fell, but is ok. I think I was freaking out knowing he went outside, worried about him. What a morning. Am not looking forward to going to animal control. Oh, and called in to work today. I've already decided dinner is at the pub tonight.
Sounds like a scary time. I have seen dog fights and it is always tough, especially for the owners. I hope you are making noticeable improvement everyday.

Thanks Weedy. I'm doing better, day 5. Still a few more days of antiobiotics and I got a tetanus shot. The swelling on the top of my hand and the underside of my wrist has finally gone down, so I can move my wrist better. The bandages are off, so it just looks ugly now. All black and green and a big knot on my arm, too. Old dog didn't mean to bite me, they knocked me flat and when I put my hand on the ground to get up, they had moved over me to fight. It did freak me out, though.
My day was busy, met with a commercial broker about the school. Gave a tour, and she said she'd get back to us in 2 weeks with a price she thinks we should start with for the business, land, and building. Have another meeting Tuesday with someone interested in purchasing the business and leasing everything else.
Our middle son is playing Caddyshack tonight. He's madder than heck that a gopher has taken out 2 good size plants. He won't gas bomb the holes, thinks it's made for the environment, so he read somewhere that they don't like noise vibrations. Just came in the house to borrow his brothers digeridoo, and he's playing that into the hole. We went to Sams to stock up, and for food to bring to the farm Friday.

Saturday night in the Ozarks.

os1.jpg

os2.jpg

os3.jpg

0s4.jpg

os5.jpg

Had a great day at church and took a huge box of sweet potatoes around 40 kg to church and came home with none :), our upright freezer also has 2 large baskets of blanched and frozen sweet potatoes in it too. Most of the comments were oh wow we never knew that sweet potatoes got that big as some of them were the size of basketballs, many didn't know how to cook them, and a few said we didn't know we could grow them here and how do you grow them and a lot said thank you. Quite a few said oh I thought they only grow little because that is what they have in the supermarkets.

Other than that we have done nothing other than relax as it is the Sabbath. I did take some photos of things I have made and listed 10 items on eBay taking advantage of a free listing promotion and have a few more photos to edit.

Yep, they were deep. But I'm able to use the hand again for cooking, but realized not for lifting feed bags. Grandkids sure come in handy. Need to get some housework done today, a little bit of work at the school done, too. Working on making mint tea..have dried the mint out earlier in the week and ordered drawstring teabags. Need to get those filled. Rotated out to my working pantry the rest of my "expires in 2019" food. Am working on drilling into the grandkids to finish off the 2018 first. Son filled the incubator with silkie eggs, and little lone duck is doing well and getting lots of loving attention around here. My nephew and his wife are at our farm this weekend. They're from Oklahoma and only a few hours away, so they tend to go up for the weekend a lot. His plan yesterday was to pick up his "grouchy grandma" (my mom) yesterday and take her to supper with them to the cousins farm. Hope it worked out. He said there were some good surprises for me when we get there...only five more days! I'm suspecting he finished off painting the new bathroom we put in and the wood floor. They'll be coming next weekend, too, when we get there.

It was a great evening! We are going to buy a houseboat just trying to figure out what we want and what we can afford.

House boats can be fun. I tried to turn our Jon boat into one, hubby did not approve, neither did I after a few shin skins.
Nice pics HB. You gonna turn the kid into Huckleberry if not careful.:D Water can be addictive.

Just so all my friends here know,
I haven't abandoned the forum.

My mom was rushed to hospital last Monday, non responsive, in and out of coma since then. She is 91, they say she had a heart attack.
They are not doing anything but making her comfortable
I been by her side everyday, still am.
Just waiting for the inevitable.

She is in God's hands .

Just so all my friends here inow, I haven't abandoned the forum.
My mom was rushed to hospital last Monday, no responsive, in and out of coma since then.

She is in God's hands .

Sorry Jim about your mother. Your faith will see you all through this.:heart::huggs:

Just so all my friends here know,
I haven't abandoned the forum.

My mom was rushed to hospital last Monday, non responsive, in and out of coma since then. She is 91, they say she had a heart attack.

She is in God's hands .
Prayers offered for you Mom and all her family. If I can help out with anythin Jim, I'm only a car ride away!

Went yesterday to VA hospital to do pre op.
Just got one thing to change, but thought I had already done it twice.
So calling top lady tomorrow. Found both sets of paperwork saying it had been changed.
Strawberry has her shots and dog tags updated this evening.
Estelle is walking by herself today.
She got aggravated with mom and dad, so she just took off.
No stopping her now. Walking 9 days before she turns 1 year old.
It's hot and very humid here.
105* not counting heat index.
Had extra day off, ran errands, went with parents to look at houses.
They are downsizing again.......again........lol......lol..........
Last time they moved from 2 bedroom,1 bath house,living room, eat in kitchen.
Bridge timber work shop, 2 car garage,small orchard, chicken coop,pond and 10 acres to a
3 bedroom, 2 bath,living room,eat in kitchen, seperate laundry room,huge family room, full finished basement,
full finished attic(200 year old barn wood on the walls, ceiling,floors) 3 car garages(dad turned one into outdoor kitchen complete with stove, refr., sink,shelving out the wahoo, every imaginable kitchen appliances) 2 extra lots.
So we( myself, my brother, and 2 younger sisters) are kinda interested in what kind of downsizing they are doing this time.
It's raining here right now, hope it finally cools off.
Yesterday, when we has that dusting of rain, just made it more humid.

Hope surgery went good and your back home resting recouperating . Take care MoBook. :heart::huggs:

She is in God's hands .

She and her family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Watching Estelle for 16 hours a day.
Cooking up a storm to fill the freezer with home cooked tv dinners.
At least enough to have meals while I regroup from knee replacement surgery.
Shooting for 45 days of meals,breakfast, lunch and supper.
Rotating meat around from chest freezer to refrig. freezer.
Using up dibs and dabs of leftovers.
Been drying herbs picked fresh out garden to make my own rubs, seasonings, mixes,

Latest posts

Back