What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That must of scared the daylights out of you, Terri. I hope she is better, now.
Was just going to empty the incubator and a Khaki Campbell is hatching. Head is out, but his butt needs to be out.
Got a call from Animal Control to go to a nearby kennel and pay a quarantine bill. So I went out there to pay, and they said they don't take payment. Then animal control shows up, dropping off a stray. So I wrote a check out for $250 to the Village where we live. So they have a deal going with this kennel. Even if you show proof of all vaccinations, they still will hold and charge you for a 10 day rabies quarantine. It's quite a money maker they have going. Since the dog is young, good looking, and sweet (except to other male dogs), he is going to be adopted out. This time the officer said nothing about inspection of our yard to quarantine old dog. I suspect her mom, the fire chief talked to her.

Amish ,I missed all this somehow ,maybe started reading and had to jump up and do something.
Sorry about the dog bites and complications from it all. Take care and hope you heal completely.:heart::huggs:

pipeline1.jpg

This is my new raised bed. It is a section of the Alaska Pipeline and is 4' across. The previous owner was going to use it as a fire pit. We live in a windy area with a significant threat of wild fire so opted for a raised bed instead. The blocks are to raise it for easier working and for appearance. We're discussing strawberries for the ventilation holes.

The planter behind it is full of rose hips.

Good news Jim. :huggs:

@phideaux you, your family and Mum are in our prayers that is wonderful news she has woken and is trying to talk and it sounds like an improvement if they are discharging her from hospital :huggs:.

Well,
It is not what I would like ,

I want her to stay in hospital....where she is getting great care.

They are forcing her to leave, because they can't do anything for her, and they can't justify keeping her.

Hospice is a group that attends to her while she dies, to help keep her comfortable.

She will be sent back to the nursing home to die.

I wish my wife and I could care for her, but we aren't able to do that, she has severe dementia also.

Jim

These are always tough times Jim. I keep searching for words but they don't seem to quite work right.

I totally understand that,

It is hard to look your mom in the eyes and know she can't talk back to you, and that she is taking her last breath at any moment,

All we can do is tell her we love her, and try to console her .
I try to say things to her to make her smile as much as I can.

I have said everything to her I can think to say.
She always loved to hear me sing....so I been singing to her...she smiles.

I am ready , as she is, for her to go be with my dad.

There really is not much anyone can say....but it is comforting , just knowing that folks here care.

Thanks .

Jim

Well,

They are forcing her to leave, because they can't do anything for her, and they can't justify keeping her.

Hospice is a group that attends to her while she dies, to help keep her comfortable.

I wish my wife and I could care for her, but we aren't able to do that, she has severe dementia also.

Jim

I understand now. Sorry for your grief.

A busy day today in the mountain cottage.

Started off the morning with putting on a load of washing, hanging it on the line and brought it back in when it dried. We then separated out some more English dried lavender picked earlier from the gardens.

I took some more photos of 3 table placemat and drink coaster sets and listed them on the internet along with 1 listing of dried French Lavender and 6 other triple layer table runners I took photos of last night. DH had a paid mowing job he had to do next door and while he was doing that I weighed out some dried Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Tarragon and English lavender picked from the gardens and some excess herbs we purchased here to go to the post office for a trade tomorrow for 6 large 25g organic lip glosses a friend of mine makes. We got to know each other through another blog and have been trading with one another a couple of times even though we live a long way away from each other both living in small country towns.

I cleaned up the mess from the lavender separating and will sweep in a minute as bits and pieces got everywhere.

Tonight's dinner was vege burgers made from silverbeet, beans and sweet potato picked from the gardens and a tin of lentils with some left over for tomorrow night's dinner too.

A busy day today in the mountain cottage.

Started off the morning with putting on a load of washing, hanging it on the line and brought it back in when it dried. We then separated out some more English dried lavender picked earlier from the gardens.

I took some more photos of 3 table placemat and drink coaster sets and listed them on the internet along with 1 listing of dried French Lavender and 6 other triple layer table runners I took photos of last night. DH had a paid mowing job he had to do next door and while he was doing that I weighed out some dried Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Tarragon and English lavender picked from the gardens and some excess herbs we purchased here to go to the post office for a trade tomorrow for 6 large 25g organic lip glosses a friend of mine makes. We got to know each other through another blog and have been trading with one another a couple of times even though we live a long way away from each other both living in small country towns.

I cleaned up the mess from the lavender separating and will sweep in a minute as bits and pieces got everywhere.

Tonight's dinner was vege burgers made from silverbeet, beans and sweet potato picked from the gardens and a tin of lentils with some left over for tomorrow night's dinner too.

Very busy lady , I have been lazy this week. Do cook, wash, clean, but not much outside at all.

I have 30 ears of corn to shuck, cut off the cob and pressure can today. Maybe do a load of laundry, too. I will save some of the cobs to make corn cob jelly later in the week. Not sure what else I will get done today.
Have you tried the microwave trick to corn shucking yet? Place the ear of corn in the microwave for 4 min the cut the stalk end off. The ear slips right out, no silk!
What is corn cob jelly?

I'm digging up bones thats better left alone, so I'm going to hang here in Niceville for awhile. :doghouse:.

Then I'm going to tear the whole back off the recliner that hurts and pulls on body parts it should be pushing on.

Clean out fridge and vacuum wood floors. Maybe mop.

And decide whats for dinner. Maybe have me a V8 and ice beer in cold mug I keep in freezer, yep that sounds like a good idea. :great::dancing:

I'm digging up bones thats better left alone, so I'm going to hang here in Niceville for awhile. :doghouse:.

Then I'm going to tear the whole back off the recliner that hurts and pulls on body parts it should be pushing on.

Clean out fridge and vacuum wood floors. Maybe mop.

And decide whats for dinner. Maybe have me a V8 and ice beer in cold mug I keep in freezer, yep that sounds like a good idea. :great::dancing:

Guess what didn't get done today.

Well,

Jim
My heart was saddened reading your post.
My relative was at Signature in Hartford, Ky. She had dementia and passed away due to a heart attack almost a year ago. I wanted her to be home with us. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be.
I wish you and yours the best during this time.

I totally understand that,

It is hard to look your mom in the eyes and know she can't talk back to you, and that she is taking her last breath at any moment,

All we can do is tell her we love her, and try to console her .
I try to say things to her to make her smile as much as I can.

I have said everything to her I can think to say.
She always loved to hear me sing....so I been singing to her...she smiles.

I am ready , as she is, for her to go be with my dad.

There really is not much anyone can say....but it is comforting , just knowing that folks here care.

Thanks .

Jim

Jim,

It's wonderful that you can be there for her AND for you.
You're a wonderful, wonderful son.
Remember this isn't a goodbye but a "see you later".

When I worked in palliative care I gave up my meal breaks to sit with
those who had no-one and held their hand.
I can think of nothing more horrifying than being alone waiting for the Father to call me home
so I sat with others during their wait.

During that time I treated the whole family unit as a whole.
The patient themselves weren't the only one in need during that time.
What happen to the patient happened to all of them.
Tissues, sandwiches, coffee, sympathy and a shoulder to cry on and
time to sit and listen to loved ones recollections of good times and bad
gave a lot of comfort and healing.
A lot of loved ones were touched when staff asked if they could sit with them during their
meal breaks at the bed side.
It showed a very human touch and in a lot of cases they, very gently started
reminiscing to encourage sharing and healing.

Well,
I guess , because there is nothing more they can do for her, and Medicare, and Insurance will not let her stay in the hospital.
So at about 3pm today they sent her by ambulance back to the nursing home,
She is resting comfortably now.
I don't know how long she can hold on now.

They don't give the attention that she was getting at the hospital,
My wife and I will be spending as much time with her as possible, to keep her happy.

She still smiles once in a while.

I'm still singing to her...she likes the old Gospel hymns.

She even smiles when she is sleeping, so I know she hears me.

Thanks for all your kind words.

Jim

I'm glad the singing and you being there makes her smile. Before my Grandmother went she enjoyed having family around when she was lucid and really seemed to enjoy arguing with my Grandfather when she wasn't. He passed a month before she did and she kept telling him to quit rushing her, she'd get there when she was darned good and ready and the more he bugged her the longer she'd take. I like to think they are together now.

I have to admit, I am exhausted,
Sitting beside in the hospital for 8 days has taken a toll on my wife and I,

The hospital was 45 minutes each way,
Now she is only 1.5 miles away, so it will be easier.

But we will still be there everyday until the the end.
I love holding those little frail, wrinkled hands , that once changed my diapers, fed me, and held me .

Jim

I have to admit, I am exhausted,
Sitting beside in the hospital for 8 days has taken a toll on my wife and I,

The hospital was 45 minutes each way,
Now she is only 1.5 miles away, so it will be easier.

I love holding those little frail, wrinkled hands , that once changed my diapers, fed me, and held me .

Jim

Jim if it gets too bad for y'all you may be able to care fro her t home where you can relax.
You now can rent hospital beds ,oxygen tanks , and hospice will come around to help, so will Visiting Angels or nurses or like us just family. Didn't cost that much either.

That's a wonderful way to look at it!

What is corn cob jelly?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/129619295494752383/

It's a great way to make use of the leftover corn cobs after removing kernels!

Got 14 pints and two quart freezer bags.

Got a call back about volunteering at a local hospice/ special needs home that is just opening. About a block and a half from my house! Should be interesting!

Latest posts

Back