What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful day for weeding at the rental place!

20221011_163546_HDR.jpg

I found a food bit of pachysandra after getting rid of the scorpion weed and other weeds. Part way through the hill looked like this.

20221011_152130_HDR.jpg

I got pretty far but not done. More tomorrow followed by some weed whacking around the edges.

Hard to beat sitting on a stone wall in early fall and hunting for pachysandra!

Behave

Ben

I generally vaccinate our animals ( many many goats and sheep each year for CDT and pneumonia) but I have stuck myself on accident with a CDT shot at least twice. It just broke the skin, nothing happened but I would somehow worry about getting any rabies vaccine in me on accident so I prefer not to do those.
I do wonder if you can buy the vaccine or if you have to have a vet prescription for it , going to ask next time I go to TP
Call me dysfunctional and weird, but I just don't care about what could happen if I don't ask permission or do it wrong or get dipped in something.

That comes from growing up where/when it was do or die and no vets or Dr.s to consult. As a result, I am a lot less fearful of doing stuff than the average Joe.

I can do all kinds of vet procedures and have absolutely no training other than reading grandpa's veterinary manual. Some ancient version of Mercks, I believe. I shopped every podunk feed store or farm supply store in every state, province or country I've ever been in, and got what I needed.

I haven't actually used any of the supplies other than a stomach tube and charcoal on someone's horse that ate a bag of lawn fertilizer. It wouldn't have lived long enough for the vet to get there.

Turns out, that if animals have fresh air, open spaces and non processed food and as few vaccines as possible, they really don't have much in the way of medical issues.

I know, it's not a popular notion.

Prepping for the "maintenance blackout" scheduled for 10pm to 8am tonight. Never had this before and we have been here 3 years and in this town for over 10. I get the feeling this is just the beginning of the end.

We have had a few blackouts due to storms in the last month but again never has that happened in the 10 years in town! I mean the one we had 2 years ago because a drunk teen hit a power pole with their car doesn't count. ;P

Good thing I have battery alarm clocks and the genny ready to go. I might put a few battery candles in the girls' room since Juju still likes a night light.

Did the animals, got the small baby areas readied in the bigger coops, and transferred 6 young chickens to each coop. So that leaves the milkhouse free, just have to clean out the bins tomorrow, and the rabbit cages. Picked a couple buckets of tomatoes, emptied dehydrators, and filled them again. Dug another bin of sweet potatoes. Three bins so far. The twins ate dinner with us tonight, first time in a month. Grandson was complaining about some people at school think the sling he's wearing is faking. (it is). He took his sling off, but says he has mobility problems. Oh well. Both granddaughters went out for a walk.

I took not one, but 2 naps today. Is that a misdemeanor?
I didn't sleep good last night so I considered it "justified-sleepicide" 😁
2 naps sounds like a good day. If there's a better way to get rid of that sucky hour after lunch besides napping it away, I haven't found it yet. If I took 2 naps, I would never fall asleep at night though...

Happy Birthday!

Enjoy your day, Pearl, whatever you plan to do!
Took care of animals, husband's breakfast, his med stuff, did the school driving for the two girls, then filled a cart at Aldi. Have some put away. Finishing lunch, having to go to the dentist for the standard cleaning thing. Not wanting to. Would rather be in the garden picking tomatoes.

Working on an outline for a 7 book sci fi fantasy series I'm trying to get Magus to help me with

Happy Birthday, Pearl.

Wingnut, glad to hear you had energy and were active.

I nap after lunch too.

Mom was in a foul mood for awhile today but calmed down. She ended up buying my brother a Zojirushi 10 cup rice cooker. Normally sells for around $300 but was like $130 on ebay ("brand new"). He's been wanting to cook rice and we've been battling over the pressure cooker sometimes. LOL.

I got up and cleaned the hallway and started cleaning in the living room but had a sinus headache and started sneezing. Cooked for Mom and now I'm taking a break.

I just ate so its time for a nap I think.

Today was a half day for me. This morning I paid a visit to Lowes and HD was home at 6:50 AM with a load of paving stones and an assortment of wood.
Worked from 07:00 till 14:00. Then I started my project, I took some measurements to level my greenhouse floor, then I made a jig and started cutting wood, checking the fit for each as I went along. The shims went in fast enough, then I started putting in the 1X6 stringers. I did have to lift the growing station out of the way a couple of times. Once the wood was all in place I started laying the concrete pavers. I am doing it in a red and gray checker board pattern, I got half of the stones laid before I stopped because it's trash chore night and that's my chore...

Ooh, I'd love to see pics, urbanhunter. That sounds like a lot of work but I bet it feels rewarding to get things done.

I still need to take the trash out. Brother injured his rotator cuff and deltoid (I had that awhile back and it lasted for several months so I know how bad it is). So, I can't get his help to left stuff. Got a few bags filled up that I need to haul out because I was cleaning.

Found out today that our 6 screen movie theater is closing and will be demolished to make way for a new truck stop. It will be the first time our town will be without a theater in over 100 years. I guess streaming just takes away too many people.

Last edited:
Another day cleaning up the hillside on a great fall day.

20221012_154208_HDR.jpg

At the end of the day the pachysandra looked like this.

20221012_154213_HDR.jpg

I also trimmed the dead branches from the small evergreen trees/bushes. I am very tempted to prune them up like a bonsai but that is for another day.

Meanwhile my brother tended to inside work cleaning things up, waxing floors, and making everything shine in preparation for showing the place to potential tenants. He is good at that and seems to rightfully take joy in his work.

I returned home and set about creating a list on Amazon of machine shop gear to take advantage of Deal days discounts. That was interrupted by a visit by a friend that was pleasant.

Then we had our weekly phone meeting with the money guy. It was an interesting discussion. He is on the same page as us seeing markets on a downhill trajectory. I heard the frustration in his words in that his goal for his clients is to make money for his clients ... in the face of a crashing market.

We act as pseudo advisors / sounding boards to him. The Princess was the daughter of an IRS top level auditor and was weaned on economics investments .... For my part I pull back the curtain on tech issues, ask dumb questions about investing, and offer ideas outside the box.

No bright signs of light out there. Best we can do is avoid disaster and try to preserve wealth. Hard times ahead for companies using credit which is doubling while profit margins are being squeezed.

This made me do a double check on buying machine shop stuff now. If things go sour prices could drop in an attempt to boost sales and cash flow. So no buying tonight and wait for killer deals.

Count your blessing for today...

Ben

Found out today that our 6 screen movie theater is closing and will be demolished to make way for a new truck stop. It will be the first time our town will be without a theater in over 100 years. I guess streaming just takes away too many people.
Sadly I think streaming plus the pandemic will make this happen in a lot of small towns BUT IMHO people don't have the incentive to work that they once had. Now they have incentive to stay home in a lot of cases.

Found out this afternoon that my aunt Sylvia passed late last night in her sleep. Was out picking tomatoes, and was thinking about her daughter, my cousin Wanda. Because I found a gorgeous huge yellow tomato, and they are Wanda's favorites. So then she calls and tells me about her mom. So husband, little granddaughter and I picked up a pizza and brought it to mom's place to have supper and tell her about her sister. That was hard. But she did just visit her last week and saw what bad shape she was in. Sylvia Miller, 96 yrs old. I'll miss her.

Sadly I think streaming plus the pandemic will make this happen in a lot of small towns BUT IMHO people don't have the incentive to work that they once had. Now they have incentive to stay home in a lot of cases.
Lack of incentive is nothing new. The last 10 years that I installed floor covering, I worked alone. The young people had no work ethic. Most of the 30s-40s crowd who did not have a job, had substance abuse problems. I had 4 apt complexes and several house flippers that kept me busy. That is why I am proud of my 17 year old grandson. He just graduated high school, works full time, goes to college and was cleaning out houses for a landlord on weekends. He worked 40 hours a week his senior year of high school.

Call me dysfunctional and weird, but I just don't care about what could happen if I don't ask permission or do it wrong or get dipped in something.

That comes from growing up where/when it was do or die and no vets or Dr.s to consult. As a result, I am a lot less fearful of doing stuff than the average Joe.

I can do all kinds of vet procedures and have absolutely no training other than reading grandpa's veterinary manual. Some ancient version of Mercks, I believe. I shopped every podunk feed store or farm supply store in every state, province or country I've ever been in, and got what I needed.

I haven't actually used any of the supplies other than a stomach tube and charcoal on someone's horse that ate a bag of lawn fertilizer. It wouldn't have lived long enough for the vet to get there.

Turns out, that if animals have fresh air, open spaces and non processed food and as few vaccines as possible, they really don't have much in the way of medical issues.

I know, it's not a popular notion.
I think my folks have that same book.

@Pearl (nice snowy style just for you ☺️)
1665627073407.png

I'm ba-ack. . . 😂

Still running like crazy.
Last week though, we left on Tues. and didn't return until Sunday night about 8PM. Hubby still hasn't gotten an elk. But the time away was wonderful. No service or people or noise or bookkeeping or. . . . It is the longest vacation we've taken since we've been married 11+ yrs. Monday morning alarm at 4:30 and right back at it. Our green beans, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers are in full production - remind me again what month we are in. I dug spuds this evening after work. From a small 3X4 shallow bed, I got about 15 lbs. Not horrible for a wonky year.
On the closing of businesses mentioned above: I noticed today that Aarons (appliances) has gone out of business. And this afternoon, we found out that our "Probuild" is going out of business which will leave us only with HD for building supplies. :-(
We are having our cidering this weekend so I have a ton to get ready before anyone comes over. Took the lawn mower tire in before we left. I finally picked it up. Now to put it back on and use the mower 🙄
Hubby is asleep in his chair (it's 7:20 our time). I just sat down a few minutes ago so decided to pop in and see what kind of trouble y'all have been into while I was gone.

Made it back to the ol' hacienda after a day of serious riding in the mountains... only put something like 117 miles on the tripmeter, but at least a third of that mileage was on dirt trails, including one crazy trail I found, the thing had me gripped! It's Trail #90, dunno whether that's a county or state trail, my trail map must be in the cycle shed and I'm too beat to go out there... I'll check it tomorrow. My muscles are sore from the heller trail riding today! A motocross challenge! :oops:

Anyway, I picked up this trail after visiting Timberon and hanging out with some locals who run a shop there, the trail drops something like 3000' over 30 miles, all dirt and loose gravel with fresh (deep) ruts still soft and muddy from the recent rains. It winds its way down and eventually comes out in High Rolls on US82... the trail constantly throws curves at ya too, many of them hairpins with gravel and mud! A constant challenge, with constant shifting too, lol... :rolleyes:

But OMFG, the scenery is INSANE! Here's the rub: right before I left my home this morning, one of the kittens barfed on the floor, so I had to clean it up and I got distracted. Pulled the grade halfway to Cloudcroft before I realized my Canon cam was still at the house, lol. However, I still had the cheesed!ck 3G flip-phone camera (which I have NEVER used in the 7 years I've owned it, not until today). I took a bunch of pics with the flip-phone, but that leads to another problem... :confused:

I gotta figure out how to send the flip-phone pics to a relative, then have that relative somehow email 'em back to my laptop... and if it's too much hassle, then to heck with it, I'll just go back and ride it again with the Canon cam in a pocket. I also hit a snag today when the flip-phone memory card became full... no more riding pics. Evidently, somebody else took a bunch of irrelevant photos with my camera back in Arizona, I had to erase all those BS photos just to free up memory. 😒

I will ask my nephew if I can send today's trail pics to his phone, then have him shoot them back to my computer. I don't know how to send pics from a 3G flip-phone to my laptop... I am technologically challenged, lol. If the whole transfer works, great, y'all see today's pics... if the transfer fails, you're SOL until I go ride that bad boy again, lol. And mark my words as a lifelong dirt biker, this trail was very challenging at speed, it would make a GREAT Enduro race, lol. 😉

BTW, I dumped the bike today, lol... well, technically I didn't DUMP it because the bike wasn't moving, but my footing slipped on a sloping section of the Rim Trail where it meets 90, and the bike slowly toppled on its left side. Worse yet, the handlebars wound up on the downhill side, so I had to make like a Russian weightlifter and "POWERLIFT" the 400-lb. bike, which was NOT terribly easy. No damage whatsoever, none noticeable anyway, and the bike fired right up afterward. 🙃

Going back to that point in today's ride, I took a sandwich & beer break after righting the bike and checking it, and the views from that location are spectacular! You can see 100 miles to the south, clear down into West Texas, you can see the Organ Mountains across the Tularosa Basin, you can see the southern end of White Sands, the forested terrain below drops steeply away from you, and the ribbon of a dirt road follows a winding path leading downward for miles... 😎

MEH, ENOUGH TALK FOR NOW, WE'LL SEE IF THE PICS COME THROUGH... IF THEY DON'T, I'LL GO BACK AND GET MORE. THAT'S ONE HELL OF A TRAIL, DROPPING 3000' OVER 30 MILES OR WHATEVER. 😀

HEAPS O' FUN, BUT CHALLENGING TOO IN ITS CURRENT STATE WITH MUDDY RUTS & STANDING WATER... ALMOST LOST IT A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH THE FRONT END SLIDING AROUND, LOL. 😨

NEVER SEEN SO MANY FREAKIN' HAIRPIN CURVES ON A DIRT ROAD BEFORE... THE GASCONADE RIVER IN MISSOURI HAS NOTHING ON THIS TRAIL #90 FOR TWISTS & TURNS, LOL. I MEAN NOTHING... 😱

IT STILL AIN'T CARVEACRE ROAD IN EAST SAN DIEGO COUNTY, BUT TRAIL #90 IS A MOTOCROSS CHALLENGE FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO RIDE FAST, LOL... AND CONSTANTLY SHIFT GEARS, AYE?!? 🤪

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back