What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found out this afternoon that my aunt Sylvia passed late last night in her sleep. Was out picking tomatoes, and was thinking about her daughter, my cousin Wanda. Because I found a gorgeous huge yellow tomato, and they are Wanda's favorites. So then she calls and tells me about her mom. So husband, little granddaughter and I picked up a pizza and brought it to mom's place to have supper and tell her about her sister. That was hard. But she did just visit her last week and saw what bad shape she was in. Sylvia Miller, 96 yrs old. I'll miss her.
🙏

Overcast, showers off and on, over an inch of badly needed rain today. Spent a lot of time playing music, been working on a lyle lovett song, actually a couple of his.

Funny, one is almost identical to an old gospel hymn that I've played since I was kid, I keep switching songs in the middle. 🤪

Got some lite house work done, mostly just rested. Yesterday's trip to town wiped me out.

@Amish Heart peace be to you and yours...

Happy late birthday @Pearl !!!
@Peanut sorry you’re not feeling so great. Which Lyle Lovett songs are you working on? I like the one about the pony on a ship, and I know you’re not from Texas.

@Amish Heart that’s a hard thing for you and your mom. It is hard breaking news like that and hard when they can’t remember. Been there.

Ugh, I have been missing on this update thing. Tuesday the part came for the daughters car and I installed that (thermostat housing) on the engine and topped off the coolant. Forgot to connect the plug on the temp sensor. Oops. This morning (yesterday for those of you waking up) as soon as I wake up my GF tells me a warning light was on for the car so her daughter left it home and got a ride with her brother. Yay! Good freakin' morning the car is messed up. What a way to start the day. No need to worry about the repairs on my truck, I can waste my time on everyone elses cars. One of her brothers looked and couldn't figure it out. I opened the hood, saw the plug right on top sitting there NOT connected to the sensor, plugged it in and the warning light went out.
Remembered I needed to make a shirt a customer asked about last Saturday, made that easy enough and let them know it was ready. Went to work and in 8 hours I walked 29,000 steps for about 11 miles. No wonder I was tired at the 7 hour mark.
Came home, cracked open a cold beer and sitting and relaxing at the computer for a bit before a shower and bedtime.
Tomorrow (today) I am told the guy is supposed to deliver 2000 pounds of horse feed in 50 pound bags because they don't have the 1500 pound tote available. Sooo, we get to unload 40 bags of feed from the truck to the pallet. Yay, sounds fun. Hopefully I get a chance to make a bit more room in the garage to back in my truck and work on the brakes. They have been squeaking for 2 weeks, it doesn't make sense, the pads are still good and the one side I took apart last week still has 50% pad left and no signs of a problem. Of course I later found out it was the other side squeaking, which I can't tell while driving. I don't want to buy new parts until I get it apart and see what is wrong. Hoping it is a simple fix, but with my luck it wont be.
My sons football game was cancelled this week so I wont have to drive 2 hours each way for the game, which is good and bad but this week I can use the break. If I have a chance I will make up a couple shirt designs for Halloween. A few people have asked so maybe I can make a few bucks. I am thinking of making them with heat press vinyl so I can make them up on the spot with whatever print they want on whatever color shirt they want. But, that will mean I have to drag the generator and heat press to the corner. The generator rolls so getting that in the trailer will be easy, the heat press is heavy so that wont be as much fun. Now that it is cooling off I think I should move my T-shirt stuff into my toyhauler trailer so I can make whatever I need on the spot as needed. With the heat press and the heater for the silk screen set up the trailer will keep warm on the cold mornings.
OK, enough for tonight, sweet dreams for me, good morning for the rest of you.

Had a morning of classes and feeling slightly overwhelmed with all I have to do by Dec. So I decided to ignore it all 😂 😂
It's dry and windy, so washing done, mowed all the paths around the veg patch and the back garden, lifted the sunflowers to dry out seeds and cleaned out the courgette bed. Going to put another hour in outside, pop some dinner in the oven, and get back to the desk. Tomorrow when its lashing rain I'll feel smug that I got stuff done, instead of, I wasted that dry day...!

Happy incarnation day Pearl!

Attachments

• Mickeys-1.png
    Mickeys-1.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 0
  • t3hcheeseburger.png
    t3hcheeseburger.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 0
  • EC_z33 (2).png
    EC_z33 (2).png
    210.5 KB · Views: 0
@Pearl Happy belated birthday!

@Amish Heart I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. :(

I don't have much going on, as usual during the week. I don't really have much free time once I get home from work, which is frustrating. There's so much I want/need to do. But anyways, my dog has still be doing well, he's gained almost all the weight back that he lost and he's healthy and energetic. He has a follow up appt next month and we'll start weaning down the prednisone to the lowest effective dosage.

Took the day off for my birthday!!
Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Found out this afternoon that my aunt Sylvia passed late last night in her sleep.
I'm sorry about your Aunt Sylvia!
I'm ba-ack. . . 😂
I'm glad you're back!

Yesterday, walked first.
Took my friend to Walmart and local grocery for a few things.
came home and made Chex Harvest mix (sweet) and cheese popcorn to take to meeting at Church last night.
(They) voted to sell Church. I don't so much mind selling building as I mind the preacher taking the money and moving to a more affluent area for a new Church. We have plenty of need here and apparently that is the problem. I won't be going.

Today, I will walk when I get to it.
Walk dogs.
Maybe tear down garden fence and dig up the last of the okra plants. Harvest my last lone watermelon.
Start my Christmas Banana Bread list.!

Nice morning here, not quite as beautiful as yesterday, so my timing was good on that ride! Bacpacker, I thought of you last night and this morning as my sore muscles did a little complaining, lol... nothing hurts though, it'll wear off, I'm gonna skate that ditch in town manana and just putter around the property today as I recover. Do a full watering session in a bit, and make some primo hot & spicy homemade yardbird burritos later, I bought everything I need and it's gonna be a good large batch. Otherwise, I'm taking it easy today, I've done a lot in the past two days, first with all the chores and yard work, then with yesterday's awesome mountain ride... that was so much fun, but boy, it was challenging too! :oops:

I've been looking at my flip-phone, I even broke it open but I couldn't find a Sim card or memory card... however, I noticed two round jack holes (not jackholes, but jack holes, lol) and I'm wondering if I have some sort of cord in my home which I might use to transfer those pics from phone to laptop computer? I know I have some odds & ends of electronic cords, adapters, etc., somewhere, so maybe I can find one that will work. We'll see, I'm not in a big ol' hurry today, lol, I'm actually sipping tea with Black Diamond snoozing on the nearby Mexican blanket. Donning my turban, silk robe & third eye, and gazing into my crystal ball, I see a TRUCKLOAD OF BEER in my immediate future, LOL. :cool:

Nice morning here, not quite as beautiful as yesterday, so my timing was good on that ride! Bacpacker, I thought of you last night and this morning as my sore muscles did a little complaining, lol... nothing hurts though, it'll wear off, I'm gonna skate that ditch in town manana and just putter around the property today as I recover. Do a full watering session in a bit, and make some primo hot & spicy homemade yardbird burritos later, I bought everything I need and it's gonna be a good large batch. Otherwise, I'm taking it easy today, I've done a lot in the past two days, first with all the chores and yard work, then with yesterday's awesome mountain ride... that was so much fun, but boy, it was challenging too! :oops:

I've been looking at my flip-phone, I even broke it open but I couldn't find a Sim card or memory card... however, I noticed two round jack holes (not jackholes, but jack holes, lol) and I'm wondering if I have some sort of cord in my home which I might use to transfer those pics from phone to laptop computer? I know I have some odds & ends of electronic cords, adapters, etc., somewhere, so maybe I can find one that will work. We'll see, I'm not in a big ol' hurry today, lol, I'm actually sipping tea with Black Diamond snoozing on the nearby Mexican blanket. Donning my turban, silk robe & third eye, and gazing into my crystal ball, I see a TRUCKLOAD OF BEER in my immediate future, LOL. :cool:
Try sending a pic by text to your email. Thats how I do mine from the phone. Downfall, I can only do one at a time

Happy late birthday @Pearl !!!
@Peanut sorry you’re not feeling so great. Which Lyle Lovett songs are you working on? I like the one about the pony on a ship, and I know you’re not from Texas.

@Amish Heart that’s a hard thing for you and your mom. It is hard breaking news like that and hard when they can’t remember. Been there.

Been working on "If you were to wake up" by lovett, very pretty guitar work. It's on his big band album. The funny part is... it's almost identical to "Where the soul of man never dies" an old hymn commonly played in bluegrass. The chord progression is the same as are many of the melody notes. Sometimes if my attention wanders while playing one song, I'll switch to the other and not realize it for a few seconds. :oops: Oops..

I have several thousand songs on my pc. I go through them one at a time and figure out the key of songs I might want to play. I have folders labeled by the key, A, B, Bb... D, E, Eb etc.

Every folder also has songs that give me trouble. A part or whole song that is difficult or require a technique I need to work on. Example, I've always had trouble with 2 chord songs, every folder gets one of those. They are simple but can be very tricky...

Anyway, I can't read music. I learn best by listening and playing. A group of songs in the same key means I can play without stopping to move a capo or re-tune. Typical set for a bluegrass band is 45minutes or about 14 songs. That's what I practice for...

Key Folders.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure this 7-year-old 3G flip-phone can do that, but I'll check... I'm thinking that if I can find the right cord to transfer the pics, y'all can see some primo scenery, lol. Next time I ride, I'll be sure to bring the Canon cam, all I have to do with it is slip the Sim or memory card out of the camera and put it directly into the laptop computer, there's a jack or port for that purpose. Meh, we'll see, I haven't given up on it yet, I'm just moving like a snail through molasses today, lol... boy, you should've seen me yesterday, I was a 'Crusty Demon o' Dirt' on that crazy trail! That bike is pretty cool, but that one cycle magazine critic had it right when he wrote:

"The KLR 650 does NOTHING well, but it can do ANYTHING!" o_O

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'll bet good money that the clown doesn't ride the way I do either, lol... despite the bike's size and weight (which work against it on the trail, and especially a muddy trail), I still have heaps o' fun on that monster thumper! You ever make it out here, I'm gonna hand the key to ya and point ya in the right direction, 10-4? That's a PROMISE from one rider to another, lol. That big ol' bike is pretty tough, it'd be hard for somebody to really damage it, at least a good rider... some jackhole who didn't know what he was doing could probably do a number on it at speed, lol. ;)

P.S. Damned if that cold beer didn't go down fast, lol... might crack another before I swap sweatpants & longjohn top for shorts & T-shirt and get out in that beautiful sunshine! Such nice fall weather here, I LOVE this time of year in the high desert! And the air is so fresh here in the boondocks, no hacking or choking on thick smog like I did back in Dago, lol. Even the wild birds suffered in that burg, they would wake in the morning and go: "CHEEP, CHEEP... HAAAAACK!!!" :oops:

Tried to figure out where my aunt likes to eat. I did not grow up around her but got to know her in recent years. We're still figuring that out

Volunteered at the old cemetery. Three more hours and I'll have my MG hours for the county and state for this year. Made plans to get my cradles ready for winter before the planting of the Victorian Fountain for the fall/winter.

Picked purple hull peas.

Watched homesteading stuff on YouTube.

No real plans for the afternoon but may go to Walmart and work in the garden. I have GriefShare tonight.

Back to insulating the greenhouse today.

20221013_152636_HDR.jpg

It may be hopeful thinking but it feels a little mire cozy. The Princess concurred.

Next part will be the ceiling/ roof.

I have enough rigged foam that I will lay in the ceiling since it is just drywall panels resting in in a framework much like acoustic panels. So no destructive work involved. But I also have another option that came by way of my son diing a dumpster dive with me in mind.

A palette of ice cream was shipped to the school where he works wrapped in aluminized bubble wrap. It is basically the same as a product I purchased 30+ ago that was marketed as "space blanket". I am considering stapling it to the roof rafters. I think it may help with the heat radiated from the hot roof. I will ensure there is ventilation to prevent issues with condensation.

From top to bottom is would be...

Shingles
Wooden roof
Space blanket stapled to bottom of rafters
Air space under slanted roof
Rigged foam insulation
1/2 inch drywall

I have until tomorrow to decide.

Ben

Bin shopping this morning, and found a few deals, but not many. Bumped into the "family therapist" we had bin shopping, that was funny. Emptied both dehydrators, cut endless tomatoes, and filled them up again. Lots of laundry. Talked to my cousin, aunt Sylvia's daughter. Plans will start Wednesday eve with the viewing. My cousin's daughter is coming in Monday, so she'll want to bring her here for a meal. My sis is coming in Wednesday. I'd better start getting the house cleaned up. Possible frost on Monday, which means I would need to pick a thousand or so green tomatoes on Sunday. But I'll check the weather again then.

This morning I made a run to HD I picked up 3" PVC pipe fittings, some sheet metal ducting, perforated metal L s, and some heavy duty brushes. Unless I forgot something this should complete the materials list for my greenhouse PV and "conditioned" air ducting project... I get off at 15:30 today and I figure I will dig right in after that. I figure I will easily fill up this weekend... ;)

Gonna be doing odd stuff in the Woodlot today. Got a new customer that wants nine cord delivered tomorrow. More than willing to pay the 50 bucks a cord stacking fee fine with the milage fee. But he wants pure white oak cut at 24 inches and wants pieces no less than 12 inches across at the widest point. Yeah I get it. Guy has a boiler and wants big stuff so he doesn't have to go outside as much to load it. Offered to pay more than my normal cause he understands that he will actually be getting more wood since it's split in bigger pieces.

He's pissy cause I can't do forty thousand pounds worth of wood in one trip.

Ended up dry packing and pressure canning 5 quarts of potatoes, yesterday.
Never got to garden.
Did get to watch "Where the Crawdads Sing" with Bible study ladies.

This morning, I will walk after feeding dogs.
Dig up okra plants- may not get any farther.
Make muffins for DH.
See about requesting funds from Church fund, for my sister-in-law in FL who lost everything in Ida. I'm not real optimistic, but going to try anyway.
Call eye doc and dentist to make appointment for glasses and consultation, respectively
Pretty easy day.

Latest posts

Back