What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother woke me up to take him to the urgent care clinic because he couldn't get an appointment with the doctor. His big toe flared up again. Everyone at the urgent care clinic was very nice. NP prescribed more cream for it and antibiotics. They called it in right away. We went to Walmart to grab a few things. In the past my brother was denied treatment by podiatrists bc of his insurance. The NP told him about a clinic in town that has a new podiatrist & she believed it takes his insurance but she's not authorized to give referrals. So we stopped by and they confirmed they will take his insurance but he needs a referral. He called the doctor while I went into the post office to get mail. Asked them to get a referral from the doctor and said the name of the clinic & the podiatrist. We'll have to follow up bc they are bad about remembering to give the doctor messages. But they can't see him until 2 more weeks after a referral. Grabbed McDonalds, dropped off some stuff at friend's house, and went back to Walmart. My brother sat in the truck while I picked up the RXs.

Had a super surprise yesterday. Friends from ND showed up :woo hoo: It was such a nice visit and so good to see them.
Hadn't seen them for a couple years. They've been back on "obligation" trips for funerals and to deal with family etc. This was an actual vacation so they had a chance to actually visit. It was sunny and gorgeous so that was a perk also. :D

So last year I was asked by Petco to be part of their product testing team. This means I have the oppertunity to receive products for free for my honest opinion. I tried three products- none of which I had any use for or desire to ever use. But you have to review the products if you want to remain an active tester to receive more items. So far just in the last 2 weeks I have been asked to review 5 different products! Mostly it seems to be a new petco branded line of toys and grooming gear from recycled materials. Well, I got the first toy today and the smell of the rubber toy was strong enough it woke the puppy up from a nap to play with it. She has something like this made by Kong but who says no to a free dog toy for a teething puppy.

Trying to get the motivation to get back to decluttering the kitchen. I just have to do under the kitchen sink and the sideboard cabinet in the dining room. I have been under the weather with the recent storms and temperature shifts. Yuck.

On top of decluttering I am trying to get K on board with repairing anything we want to keep that needs minor repairs or cleaning. I told him I don't want to move a project across the country only to not complete it once we move. He didn't like this but then I am the one making the calls to get rid of junk and sell things we don't need.

I totaled up how many of what I need for the water heater project. Not everything but in the ballpark. Researched if Lowes or Amazon was cheaper. Amazon won. Generated a number and The Princess approved. Filled a cart and the parts are on the way.

I found a new widget that is designed as the input for a water heater that combines a shutoff valve and a pressure regulator to eliminate the need fir an expansion tank. It ends up being less than an expansion tank and required fittings. I am short on space for an expansion tank since my basement has low ceilings so I decided to go with them. But...

The order said it ships in 1-2 months. What? So while I was at Lowes picking up some concrete to level the floor where the water heater will go and they had it in stock! Purchased one and canceled the one from Amazon.

Since I needed concrete I decided to drive the new to us truck since I want to get use to driving it and all of the controls. Took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to turn on the radio! After flipping through all of the menus I resorted trying the volume knob. Doh!

Finished the Lowe's run in rime to make it to Tutor Time with Olivia. I asked how she did on the Algebra quiz that she had make up since she was sick on Friday. Turns out the teacher just sent her home with quiz as homework! Not a good idea when she has a Grampa that took 5 years of math scheduled to visit. :rolleyes:

I had her work each problem in a notebook and then I walked through checking her work and she fixed her mistakes. Then she transcribed her work to the quiz sheet. She did pretty good but often screwed up with rules involving sign and dividing fractions. I am suspicious that that the remote learning due to the lock downs impacted her math education. I feel for the other kids that don't have engineer/physicist in the family that can tutor them.

I pointed out that all of her mistakes are a variation on the set of rules I wrote up for her last week. Before departing I challenged her to invent a memory crutch that will help her remember the rules.

How many of you learned...

Sally can't tell Oscar has a heap of apples.

And

Bad boys race our young girls behind victory ganden walls. Get started now.

(Crude versions omitted)

Ben

So last year I was asked by Petco to be part of their product testing team. This means I have the oppertunity to receive products for free for my honest opinion. I tried three products- none of which I had any use for or desire to ever use. But you have to review the products if you want to remain an active tester to receive more items. So far just in the last 2 weeks I have been asked to review 5 different products! Mostly it seems to be a new petco branded line of toys and grooming gear from recycled materials. Well, I got the first toy today and the smell of the rubber toy was strong enough it woke the puppy up from a nap to play with it. She has something like this made by Kong but who says no to a free dog toy for a teething puppy.

Trying to get the motivation to get back to decluttering the kitchen. I just have to do under the kitchen sink and the sideboard cabinet in the dining room. I have been under the weather with the recent storms and temperature shifts. Yuck.

On top of decluttering I am trying to get K on board with repairing anything we want to keep that needs minor repairs or cleaning. I told him I don't want to move a project across the country only to not complete it once we move. He didn't like this but then I am the one making the calls to get rid of junk and sell things we don't need.
Get er done!

The Princess keeps a fire under my lazy arse.

Ben

Get er done!

The Princess keeps a fire under my lazy arse.

Ben

I got under the kitchen sink cleared. I threw out junk I don't use and put the lazy susan in the sink to be washed. Not much will go back under there once done.

My new road into the woods.
DSC01492 (1).JPG

Busy day with dogs and dog parks. It felt colder than it should have for the temperatures. I'm sure I was feeling the snow storm coming in that is here now. So many closures already announced for tomorrow. Many flights already cancelled at the airport. Shoulder is really bothering me from chipping and scooping ice yesterday. I just over did it because I wanted it gone before the next round of snow. It is typical for us to get a big dump of snow and for it to be mostly gone in 3 days. We haven't seen that yet this winter.

I found a new widget that is designed as the input for a water heater that combines a shutoff valve and a pressure regulator to eliminate the need fir an expansion tank. It ends up being less than an expansion tank and required fittings. I am short on space for an expansion tank since my basement has low ceilings so I decided to go with them. But...

Could you please share this pressure regulator information or a link? I think I could use one. I am opposed to an expansion tank simply because my parents never had one and we never had an issue, and my house in Nevada didn't have one and I had no problems there. But, here when the hot water is run full open there is a slight banging noise coming from the utility room. So far my lazy self hasn't cared enough to figure it out because I think it is the pex pipe expanding due to the heat of the hot water flowing towards the sink/shower, but if the pressure regulator would be helpful and affordable I guess I can look deeper into my issue. Thank you in advance.

How many of you learned...

Sally can't tell Oscar has a heap of apples.

And

Bad boys race our young girls behind victory ganden walls. Get started now.

(Crude versions omitted)

Ben
As for the math hints, Huh? It's possible I was taught them but I definitely never learned them. My algebra teacher in high school called me up to his desk once because I had the correct answers on a test but the work was wrong. He thought I copied the answers from someone else. I explained I didn't copy I just figured out the problem on my own (because I was bored of school by that point and didn't study much). He created a few new problems and had me do them at his desk, the work was nothing like the book taught but all my answers were right. He shook his head, said it didn't make sense but he gave me credit for the right answers after I told him I did not plan a future involving advance math skills. Fortunately police work usually involved only simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. :ghostly: I am good at figuring stuff out for projects around the house and in the garage, but using proper formulas is not for me.

Talked to the vet at the vet school....she told me it is to her knowledge not likely for a goat to get this virus without being exposed to it. She asked me 3 times if we got new animals recently or took ours somewhere like a show. NO! I asked if they can take a test and see what it is. She told me she would need to do some research and call me back....this is the VET SCHOOL. They should know without having to reasearch! So far she has not called me back
My truck: was told they were working on it all morning yesterday and couldn't get the brakes to work at all now. ( they worked before I took it there) and it needs a new master cylinder. So it's still there

I have a pain in my lower right side. I wonder if I have a hernia. No other symptoms. It's not a lot of pain but uncomfortable if I move a certain way. I am hoping for just a sore muscle and it goes away again.

Today I need to go shopping. We have run out of most fresh stuff and living of frozen , which is ok but I want some fruit

Hope everyone is having a better week than me

I had her work each problem in a notebook and then I walked through checking her work and she fixed her mistakes. Then she transcribed her work to the quiz sheet. She did pretty good but often screwed up with rules involving sign and dividing fractions. I am suspicious that that the remote learning due to the lock downs impacted her math education. I feel for the other kids that don't have engineer/physicist in the family that can tutor them.
I had to help my daughter with math all the time. She did eventually figure it out but ended up getting a degree in computer stuff since she had problems with engineering math. Some kids just have a really hard time with math. I tutored some kids of friends also. If they have problems passing algebra they will really have problems passing differential equations and 3 calculus classes. Not everyone can be an engineer

Talked to the vet at the vet school....she told me it is to her knowledge not likely for a goat to get this virus without being exposed to it. She asked me 3 times if we got new animals recently or took ours somewhere like a show. NO! I asked if they can take a test and see what it is. She told me she would need to do some research and call me back....this is the VET SCHOOL. They should know without having to reasearch! So far she has not called me back
My truck: was told they were working on it all morning yesterday and couldn't get the brakes to work at all now. ( they worked before I took it there) and it needs a new master cylinder. So it's still there

I have a pain in my lower right side. I wonder if I have a hernia. No other symptoms. It's not a lot of pain but uncomfortable if I move a certain way. I am hoping for just a sore muscle and it goes away again.

Today I need to go shopping. We have run out of most fresh stuff and living of frozen , which is ok but I want some fruit

Hope everyone is having a better week than me
Maybe you are just getting all the bad stuff out of the way at one time!

Working!! Too much! I have one woman waiting for me to have an opening for her and she fired her other cleaning lady. I told her a few weeks ago I will have a spot open in February, she will have to wait! Also squeezing in a multi closet organizing job I took on! I have one lady moving to assisted living soon and another that  needs to! I'm sure things will lighten up. I'm aiming for a smooth rut by March first!!

Having my lunch now... I got off work an hour early yesterday and went for a walk in the woods. It was like September, cool but not COLD, I never even closed my jacket! I walked until it got dark, covered about 2 1/2 miles and when I got home my legs told me that I need to break in my boots before going for a walk in the woods.

Walked first, this morning.
Washed sheets and blankets.
I found 4 # of older Pork roasts when I put the new deer in freezer yesterday. Ground that up this morning and will make sausage shortly.
Will make oatmeal for breakfasts soon.
Will go make a plan for downsizing shed if the sun comes out.
Might make sugar cookie dough (only one I didn't get done before Christmas).
Make oatcakes (cookies) for DH.

As for the math hints, Huh? It's possible I was taught them but I definitely never learned them. My algebra teacher in high school called me up to his desk once because I had the correct answers on a test but the work was wrong. He thought I copied the answers from someone else. I explained I didn't copy I just figured out the problem on my own (because I was bored of school by that point and didn't study much). He created a few new problems and had me do them at his desk, the work was nothing like the book taught but all my answers were right. He shook his head, said it didn't make sense but he gave me credit for the right answers after I told him I did not plan a future involving advance math skills. Fortunately police work usually involved only simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. :ghostly: I am good at figuring stuff out for projects around the house and in the garage, but using proper formulas is not for me.

SharkBite 3/4 Inch Thermal Expansions Relief Ball Valve, Push to Connect Brass Plumbing Fitting, PEX Pipe, Copper, CPVC, PE-RT, HDPE, 25704LF https://a.co/d/45sLBBQ

Ben

Expansion tanks were added after water companies upgraded the meters with check valves to prevent back dlow into the supply lines. Old houses didnt have the check valves.

Ben

Got up at O dark thirty in the rain and a flashlight and got the animal chores done. Back in to fix husband breakfast and bring little granddaughter to school. No amish school today because of the funeral this morning. What a muddy, rainy mess for the funeral, but there was valet for the horses and buggies, and we took our pickup truck, so did find a spot not too far so husband could get in on his walker. I brought a padded folding chair for him. About 300 people went, but there was a service last night, too. Two preachings in deitsch, and one in english. It was still rainy and muddy after the two hr service, so we didn't go to the burial, and we just went on home after for lunch instead of staying. Worked out well because my favorite cousin needed to get home after the preaching to check on her husband. Just odds and ends to do the rest of the day. Mom was getting an xray today on her hip, and I'll take her to her doc appt tomorrow and see what's going on with that.

Had to go to my mothers to put up some grab bars in all the doorways "she'll be 98 in Sept" Still getting around but lately she seems to be going down hill. Wouldn't let me leave unless I took Ant Jamima with me , its been in her kitchen for 73 yrs. that I know off .
Cast iron
1674069420001.png

Our little post office keeps getting a new person. Just when I get used to the last person. They're only open half a day, Mon thru Fri, and an hr on Saturday, as it is. The people sit on the computer and type stuff unless you go to the counter and ask for something. I always wonder what keeps them so busy at the computer. Maybe they get one customer every half hr.

Latest posts

Back