What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put in some concrete for a level pad for the new water heater.

20230120_144322.jpg

I will let it setup for a day or 2. It isn't intended to be special beyond being level.

The components I need have been showing slowly. The shipment I received today was damaged.

20230120_150644_HDR.jpg

It had a hole large enough for push to fit 3/4 tees to fall out of. I immediately fed back to Amazon about it. But there is some confusion that remains. The order status on Amazon says it is still in transit! Furthermore the copper crimp rings that are part of this order where delivered yesterday. My best guess is the order was shipped in 3 packages and the Tees are still in transit. I will have to wait until Monday to find out. The four push to fit Tees were almost $90 total so I will be making a stink if they don't show.

Ben

Thanks for all the encouragement and good words, folks. It means a lot.
Brother came over yesterday and installed the electric heater I bought for the shop building. Hopefully it will throw enough heat that I can continue the sorting and packing work out there.
Went up to Mom's today to help with a few chores and check on her. She's getting around without the walker now, just using a walking stick. Loved the grin on her face when she able to get in her car and drive up and down the driveway a bit. Pretty awesome progress for an 81 year old that just got a knee replacement the last week of December.

Today was a bust. Completed my regular work day. I was planning to go for a walk in the woods, but the wife was sick till 3PM, when she woke up enough to realize she was hungry but she didn't have the energy to cook... I helped as much as I could without over helping... After that I added lights to my little home made star, it looks like a spiny porcupine. It's 2' tall, 18" in diameter and has 200 bright white led lights. It looks ugly up close, but get 25' away and it comes together nicely...

Wild busy day. Got to work and had emails that one of my co-workers is retiring Jan 31st. Along with that we are losing the work space and work he had been doing. I assume there was some kind of blow up in the last day or 2. Boss is all kinds of PO'd and expects me to go to his shop and figure out what our group bought and get it to our building, take custodianship of his computers, and become the responsible person for our tracking system for his chemical items. No clue what all that means. This was all before 8am. Then around 930 he emails me that there is some work at SNS (Spallation Neutron Source) that I need to find out what they need done. I have been working on a project for the stack they use off and on for 2 years waiting on funding. I assumed this was the same thing. But NO this is some equipment that was installed years ago and has never been calibrated, should have been done every 12 months. Turns out they have 2 and want us to figure one of them out and get it ready, then swap them and calibrate the 2nd for a spare. Down side is the work is likely to be HOT, as in radio active. So there will be a lot of folks doing bits of this and that to make sure everything is safe and what working conditions will be. No idea what all our involvement is gonna be.
Left work at 2 to get home and get back to working on my grape vines. I started on them yesterday and hoped to make good progress today. I haven't done anything with them since 2020 when I was so sick, likely covid. Anyway they are badly grown up, vines running every which way, couple small trees had came up, honeysuckle thriving. So far I have gotten 2 section cleaned out and 2 more started on. Still have 3 more after that to do. I've started on the muscadines first. Found at least one post and support that needs repair so far.
But when I was gathering my tools to go out and start on the grapes I heard something strange in the basement. Took a few minutes to figure out what it was. The hot water feed from my water heater into the copper had spouted a pin hole. At first I didn't think it had been leaking long, I know for certain it wasn't last night. But when I got over to it I found some open containers that were nearly full of water, so it had been going for a few hours. Work bench and storage rack are both soaked, along with most everything on them. Gotta take all that stuff outside tomorrow to start drying. Went to Lowes after I finished on the vines at dark and couldn't find exactly the hose I need, so I got a couple other hoses and couplers to try and work it out. Nope nothing worked. Fixing to get on line and find what I need. Hopefully home depot or someone else local has it that I can get tomorrow. I was able to bypass the WH, when I replaced it a few years ago I added a cut off. So we have water, just not hot water.
Been a long day. I am beat

First day of three days off is in the books. Had my hair done. A friend of mine does it in her salon and it's two hours of being left alone in peace and quiet while the dye is doing it's thing. Worth every penny. Her salon has individual rooms with doors so you don't have to see anyone if you don't want to. Afterwards, I picked up Dad and went to pick out the new carpet for the vacant apartment then on to Lidl. Stopped at Jersey Mike's for a sandwich and then to Costco for a top off (and a rotisserie chicken of course).

Ordered my seed potatoes--Kennebec and Red Norlands and some lima bean seed. Ooops! forgot we went to Lowe's also. They had one Ferry Morris seed display out already and the Jiffy seed starting stuff. Got some starting medium and of course some seeds--tomato, hot pepper, and flowers for using as natural dyes for my wool.

Saturday I plan to NOT leave the property. Going to get my cleaning done early, prep some more wool, bake bread and generally just enjoy my time away from work and all the humans I have to deal with there.

I was taking a little nap this afternoon when the phone rang. It was my oldest brother: "Whatcha doin?"
Me: (Yawn) Uhh, nothing.
Him: We just bought $6500 worth of furniture at Redeker's. Is your kid working at McDonalds? Let's meet over there, it's only 10 minutes away.
Me: "Yeah she's working. Let me put some pants on first and I'll be there in 20 minutes...Wait, what? $6500 worth of furniture?"

It was good to see my kid working. It was the evening rush and she was running like a chicken with its head off. I'm proud to see that she takes her job serious and she tries hard. It proves that her mom and I at least got the work ethic right. I pray she can navigate the rest of her youth without falling into other problems...

We're expecting rain and some snow tomorrow. I'll probably stick close to home. Did some errands this morning with husband in the bigger town, and stopped in to IHOP for lunch. It wasn't as good as it used to be. Husband commented that I make a better omelet. I think they use the liquid egg goop for scrambled eggs and omelets. Did some shopping at the amish discount store in our town. White wheat berries went up to $2 a lb.

Wild busy day. Got to work and had emails that one of my co-workers is retiring Jan 31st. Along with that we are losing the work space and work he had been doing. I assume there was some kind of blow up in the last day or 2. Boss is all kinds of PO'd and expects me to go to his shop and figure out what our group bought and get it to our building, take custodianship of his computers, and become the responsible person for our tracking system for his chemical items. No clue what all that means. This was all before 8am. Then around 930 he emails me that there is some work at SNS (Spallation Neutron Source) that I need to find out what they need done. I have been working on a project for the stack they use off and on for 2 years waiting on funding. I assumed this was the same thing. But NO this is some equipment that was installed years ago and has never been calibrated, should have been done every 12 months. Turns out they have 2 and want us to figure one of them out and get it ready, then swap them and calibrate the 2nd for a spare. Down side is the work is likely to be HOT, as in radio active. So there will be a lot of folks doing bits of this and that to make sure everything is safe and what working conditions will be. No idea what all our involvement is gonna be.
Left work at 2 to get home and get back to working on my grape vines. I started on them yesterday and hoped to make good progress today. I haven't done anything with them since 2020 when I was so sick, likely covid. Anyway they are badly grown up, vines running every which way, couple small trees had came up, honeysuckle thriving. So far I have gotten 2 section cleaned out and 2 more started on. Still have 3 more after that to do. I've started on the muscadines first. Found at least one post and support that needs repair so far.
But when I was gathering my tools to go out and start on the grapes I heard something strange in the basement. Took a few minutes to figure out what it was. The hot water feed from my water heater into the copper had spouted a pin hole. At first I didn't think it had been leaking long, I know for certain it wasn't last night. But when I got over to it I found some open containers that were nearly full of water, so it had been going for a few hours. Work bench and storage rack are both soaked, along with most everything on them. Gotta take all that stuff outside tomorrow to start drying. Went to Lowes after I finished on the vines at dark and couldn't find exactly the hose I need, so I got a couple other hoses and couplers to try and work it out. Nope nothing worked. Fixing to get on line and find what I need. Hopefully home depot or someone else local has it that I can get tomorrow. I was able to bypass the WH, when I replaced it a few years ago I added a cut off. So we have water, just not hot water.
Sounds like a lot of tough days in the next couple weeks, and more.

Long day, to much activity, cfs kicking my butt tonight. Had to go to the big town, actually to the other side the big town… picked up groceries and a few other items while there. Then I had to drive to the little town which is the opposite direction from my house. It’s been months since I had to do all this in one day. I’m toast tonight and will be for a more few days.

Still playing a lot of music… wish I could find folks to pick with. I saw a guy in town today I hadn’t seen in a decade. He used to play, said he doesn’t any more, darn. Since pickers are in short supply...

I bought 16 new cd’s, ouch. Haven’t bought that many in 20yrs. They are all bluegrass, some by favorite pickers. Ordered a few by new artists also. I’ve heard a few of their songs recently and liked them. Especially 2 young ladies from Sardis OH, the Price Sisters. If you want to hear some old school, hard core bluegrass, give them a listen.

Old memory… the guy I saw today, his dad owned a little gas station out here in the country when I was a teenager. He’d sell beer to anyone, even 16yrolds like me. He was a pretty good banjo picker to! 😁

Stopped at the Honda dealership to dispute a charge-- they charged me for my own oil that I provided. Got blown off and told to call back the next day.

Today I called the dealership several times until they finally let me speak to a manager. I hate to be *that* person, but I'm not letting myself get screwed out of $ like that. Got put on hold multiple times. Finally got through & manager said I'd get my refund. Then they tried to say it was only $35 but I pointed out it was $37.20 and would be $40 with tax. He claimed that the tax was included. I didn't feel like arguing over a couple dollars so I let them have that win. They will send a check in 3 weeks or so. I'll call them if I don't get it.
Reading this I have one question. If they are charging for something you brought them to put in your car how do you know they are actually putting your oil in your car?
Just a thought, but worth considering. Because once it is in the engine it is difficult to prove it is the better stuff.

Yesterday I actually had some real good sleep. First time in a while I felt good when I woke up. And, waking up was only a couple hours before having to leave for work. I was not in the mood to work and did a great job of moving slowly. I felt I was owed an easy night since I usually work faster than everyone else so I didn't feel guilty. In fact I even wandered around the green house (Home Depot) and looked over the various potato seeds and onion and garlic sets. I think this is the first time my Home Depot had these and I was impressed by the price, less than $4 a package. GF wants to take a drive to the mountain on Sunday to let her girls play in the snow so we will probably be hitting the two ranch stores and if they don't have a similar deal on the potatoes and onions/garlic I will hit the HD there and grab a few packs of each to plant this spring.
It is cold here tonight, about 25 now which is cold for here, but it was cold enough to not allow the key to go into the lock on the parcel locker at our mailboxes. I had to bring the key home, hopefully we can make it work tomorrow afternoon. I will bring some WD-40 just in case.
Dang I am tired. Sweet dreams to me, good morning to the rest of you.

Pretty full weekend ahead, with friends wanting to catch up also as the weather has improved, so will be on the road a bit. My husband and I were married 29 years last week but didn't do anything, so this morning treated ourselves to breakfast in town while dropping our daughter to work. Now it was a very substantial breakfast, but bloody hell- we paid the same as we used to pay for a dinner when we moved to the area. Breakfast was normally our treat as its all we could afford when the children were younger. €32 for two fry's and tea and coffee- no refills, just one. Good job anniversaries are only once a year :)

My puppy, Atari, celebrated his 6 month 1/2 birthday by eating a couple of toys and really messing his guts up.
Mine eats all sorts of crap. I try to stop him but he finds stuff. He has eaten goat and sheep poop, stuffing from the dog bed he shredded, dirt, wood , barn bedding, a piece of onion that fell on the floor, toys, and yesterday he drank water from a absolutely disgusting muddy and stinky puddle next to the barn manure pile. He gets diareah and then he is fine again. He is about 7 months now

We're expecting rain and some snow tomorrow. I'll probably stick close to home. Did some errands this morning with husband in the bigger town, and stopped in to IHOP for lunch. It wasn't as good as it used to be. Husband commented that I make a better omelet. I think they use the liquid egg goop for scrambled eggs and omelets. Did some shopping at the amish discount store in our town. White wheat berries went up to $2 a lb.
I was really expecting a lot more out of your day, you had me all hyped up, "anything can happen"!!😃😉

Sounds like something that would happen at my vet's office. Sometimes I think they don't know what they are doing. They misdiagnose a LOT.
As for the side pain, do you still have your appendix?
Our regular vet called me back yesterday and told me he was really busy which I know he is ( there is only 1 in our nearest town and he is the only livestock vet around)
He basically told me not to worry about it. It's not dangerous to them and very few get serious symptoms. He did tell me it's contagious to humans, but again, not dangerous. He also told me if only a few out of all of them have it, it's most likely just dermatitis or something else since the virus is highly contagious

Pain is gone and it was much lower than any organs. I think I just pulled a muscle or something from lifting stuff

Cleaning and cooking today. We have visitors coming tomorrow, if the weather is ok. We have a winter weather warning but it looks like just rain coming

Yesterday I picked up the wife's Grand Cherokee at the Jeep dealership. There were a couple recalls on it plus the four wheel drive system needs to be replaced. When we got the bill they charged me an extra $329 for parts that I had already paid for. Some of the parts for the 4 wheel drive system are still on order so we'll have to take back it in again. A 150 mile round trip.
I don't think they purposely tried cheating me. I think they are just that incompetent. Go over every line item on the bill to make sure it's accurate. I also have them keep any parts they replace so that I can make sure they actually needed to be replaced.

Hmmm....Pearl, maybe more details? Hey, husband walked into IHOP without the walker...just used the cane. Haven't seen that in months and months. I got cornmeal mix at buy one get one, and the first was marked down to $1.50 for the five lb. I use it for a base I bake for my chickens. I finished book one of a prepper fiction book by Kyla Stone, and husband ordered the rest for me, and I now have a stack of 7 books to read. Found the problem to the Harvest Right. The update the company did fried the circuit board. They are sending a new circuit board. Husband will install. I know, no dance party or anything.

Running errands with hubby today! He finally finished the motor rebuild on his Impala so I get to have a chauffeur today since he is putting break in miles on it! I don't care to go to town on a Saturday, but it's my only day to go! Got a fair sized "to do" around the place, so I'll be busy when I get home!!

That does sound like a long and rough day!

Yesterday was a long but enjoyable day for me. Did our shopping while my friend's cat was at the vet. I liked Aldi. Pretty good prices compared to Walmart on most items and they had some that weren't at Walmart. Also bought my last pair of shoes for walking (for a while). Had lunch with friends.

Today, no walking as it is raining now and supposed to all day.
Will make sugar cookie dough for the year (and freeze).
Make chicken salad.
Do a few easy chores.

Latest posts

Back