What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what constitutes fancy mixing, but I make my own “quick mix” for pancakes and waffles. It’s the dry ingredients and then I just add the egg, milk, and butter. If you are interested, holler 😁
We would do the same thing, made the mix and stored it in jars and stored cubes of frozen milk & butter in baggies. Would put the baggie with the cube in the fridge overnight, then in the morning put the melted milk/butter in the jar with a couple of eggs, shake and instant waffles. I've also learned that homemade waffles re-heated in the toaster are almost as good as fresh. :)

Not sure what constitutes fancy mixing, but I make my own “quick mix” for pancakes and waffles. It’s the dry ingredients and then I just add the egg, milk, and butter. If you are interested, holler 😁
I was looking for a single serving, lone wolf type of mix. With the measurements I made last night I was able to make my breakfast using a pint canning jar, a knife, fork, spoon, plate, and the waffle iron. Just the mix, water, and some oil. The taste was acceptable and the volume was close to what I would want for a single serving. The wife watched and was appalled, processed foods! YUCK!

My thinking is simple, for a SHTF event I would like to be able to have a reasonable breakfast using less than 1500 watts and requiring minimal dish washing. If I can vacuum pack the mix in small volumes and store like we do flour and sugar; then I have addressed a food storage goal... but we believe in eating what we store and storing what we eat, so I have to be sure I can eat it before I can add it to our food stores....

I may walk first this morning.
Go see DH and help him in shower. He doesn't want to ask nurses.
Aldi for fruit and veggies.
Thrift store to donate stuff. I went crazy cleaning and then decluttered a couple of kitchen drawers. I will hit a couple more today.
Home and sweep house.
Not sure about Bible study tonight. Puppies are used to someone being home at night. I may skip it.

DH is taking longer to respond to IV antibiotics this time. I will see how he is today, although he thinks he will be there a few more days.

Prayers for your husband, Snappy.
We had some snow last night, and temps aren't getting much above freezing, so little granddaughter's school is on a two hr delayed start. Amish school is not, so I'll be bringing the neighbor girl at normal time. And little granddaughter two hrs later. Animal chores very soon, and getting husband settled with breakfast and making his lunch in advance. I'll be bringing the neighbor lady and little Brenda out for the day...first to drop off the baby at grandmas, then to Aldi, then to Brenda's chiropractic appt, then to lunch, and then to Walmart. I don't like snow driving, but I'll take the big pickup and use the 4 wd. These dirt roads to get into the bigger town are usually a pain in this weather.

Starting to think about the inevitable task of having our old beagle put down. Way past his years and has gotten very very frail in the past few weeks. Whined with pain for the first time this morning when he collapsed and fell. Very sad. Has been the best dog ever.

Starting to think about the inevitable task of having our old beagle put down. Way past his years and has gotten very very frail in the past few weeks. Whined with pain for the first time this morning when he collapsed and fell. Very sad. Has been the best dog ever.
I'm so sorry!! I went through that last February, it's so hard!! I feel for ya'll!!

Raining, so may stay in today.
DW car needs $2000.00 worth of work & it is only 26 years old, Honda accord.
So looks like we will be buying a another car.

While feeding and watering the rabbits I was assessing behavior and body condition of my does. One has not had a litter since last spring. I bred her in September but she refused to lift and only allowed one fall-off before she turned on the buck. It didn't take. She escaped from her hutch a few months ago and she spent a lot of time around one of our buck's cages so I thought they had bred through the wire. Nope. Nothing. Her upstairs neighbor had kits 3 months ago and her daughter had kits on Christmas Eve. So today she was acting down so I put her in with one of the bucks. She lifted and allowed the buck to have 3 fall-offs. Hopefully it took and she has kits in 30 days. They get so moody when they want to breed.

I ordered the wire mesh to make some new grates for the rabbits litter boxes. I have been asked a bunch in some of the rabbit groups how I made them so I plan to write up a blog post about it. I need to get a few more litter boxes to add to my supplies so I have enough for all the grow-out cages and rotate when cleaning. I have a shopping list of things I need to make repairs or to expand the rabbitry.

K moved some of the frozen meat we had in the dairy/veg freezer to the cleaned meat freezer. He says it was a decent amount of meat but nothing like what we had in the freezer before the BIG THAW. I have still gotten extra meat on sale when I go to the store. Just a few extra pounds here and there when I see a killer deal. Because of the pork laws here in Kommiefornia we are seeing some deals on pork BUT this is the cull before the prices go up. So when the prices are low I have been grabbing pork ribs and roasts. Eggs are still next to impossible to find and when I do they are outrageous!

I finished up the kitchen declutter. I am moving on to the hall closet which was done back after we had the wild fires that forced us to evacuate. But the girls have been throwing things in there rather than putting them away so I will be throwing things away and donating the junk they hide in there. It should only house the evac totes, BOBs, grab-n-go FS, cat carriers, game tote and the puzzle tote. Not much room when it is a mess but when packed right for ease and speed of evac it is nice and tidy.

Hopefully we don't get rain for a few more weeks so we can catch up on outside chores.

Picking up another load of diesel for the backup generator. I can haul 60 gallons at a time with my truck. I figure a couple more loads and we should be good until spring. Just ordered a small pizza for lunch. I've got a couple propane bottles to fill after lunch. Tracker's sitting out in the truck waiting for me, he's not too happy that he couldn't come in. I'll take out a piece of pizza for him.

At lunch time I went out to get some Robitussin for the wife, it was snowing. She is completely out: W-M had 2 bottles of day time (that's all they had)... Went down the road to Target, they had 2 bottles of night time (that's all they had). Anyway she is now fully stocked, everyone else is just SOL.... It's not that there are shortages, it's just the stores don't have any in stock...

OH! I don't want to forget, while in W-M I went by the canning/food storage section, they had a full stock of canning jars and lids; except for half-gallon, which is why I went down that isle. Anyway, I know canning supplies are always hit or miss so if you can, check the supplies next time you are out shopping.

Last edited:
Today I found one of the seedless grape vine clones is breaking a bud!

20230125_135133.jpg

I am happy.

Decided I am down some end caps and ball valves so I got them ordered for delivery on Friday.

Aside from that I am taking it easy today.

Ben

At lunch time I went out to get some Robitussin for the wife, it was snowing. She is completely out: W-M had 2 bottles of day time (that's all they had)... Went down the road to Target, they had 2 bottles of night time (that's all they had). Anyway she is now fully stocked, everyone else is just SOL.... It's not that there are shortages, it's just the stores don't have any in stock...

OH! I don't want to forget, while in W-M I went by the canning/food storage section, they had a full stock of canning jars and lids; except for half-gallon, which is why I went down that isle. Anyway, I know canning supplies are always hit or miss so if you can, check the supplies next time you are out shopping.

When the whole family was sick last month we found that 2 bottles of each only lasted one week for one person. With the current shortages of Robitussin I recommend getting at least 4 more of each just in case you both get sick again. The shelf life is over a year so it is worth having even if you don't get sick again until next fall/winter.

If you have a Prime account you can order it online for not much difference in price to WM. I have been trying to stock up when I see it. I have to have 4+ bottles of the kids formula and 4+ of the adult just to cover a week of a cold or flu for all of us. The pharmacies sell it for $20 so I try to get a deal when I can.

"The problem with being able to do everything is you are expected to do everything."…

I can't do everything. I have done so much with with so little that I can almost do anything with nothing. :D

Several times a week my oldest Sibling been letting me know they have furnace problems. Sometimes they have heat but the majority of the time they don't. Don't know who to call. I keep telling them they have a sticker on the front of their furnace with the telephone number of the company that does the annual maintenance. I'd call them. Yea they know they thought I might recommend someone else or...

What they want is me to drive over, look on their furnace for the number, call the repairman and be there when the repair arrives. Nope I ain't going to do it. They want me to make the decision so I can be blame if it goes south. Nope I ain't going to do it.

Evidently the house is getting too cold because Sibling finally calls the repairman. Repairman arrives when furnace is working, can't find anything wrong.

Sibling calls, furnace isn't working again what should they do? Call the same repairman back when the furnace isn't working. Will they charge another $115? That a question you'd ask the Repairman not me.

Sibling makes a comment that the thermostat has a bunch of buttons on it and even they repairman couldn't figure it out...

Repairman has been out three times now. Sibling comments on how they might have to get job because Repairman is charging them $115 every time he comes out. Sibling is easily upset and when upset is unable to think clearly which makes them madder.

I slept on it. Repairman is from a reputable business, if he says there is nothing wrong with the furnace I'd believe him. That leaves the thermostat wiring and the thermostat. Wiring is in a wall, no history of mice so I doubt it's a wire problem. Thermostat has a bunch of electronics in it, Sibling mention several times they have a history of just punching the buttons. I have a coupon for the local big box store and I walk out with a stupid, non-programable ON/OFF and UP/DOWN thermostat for a dollar and change. Drove a half hour to Sibling's house and in a few minutes replaced the "smart" thermostat with the new "Dumb" one. Furnace comes on. Next day Sibling called, furnace has been working since I replaced the thermostat. Good! Throw the old thermostat away. Nope they want to keep it just in case they needed it. A thermostat that's 10 or 15 years old that is obvious defective, why keep it I think, but no skin off my nose if they do.

Last edited:
When the whole family was sick last month we found that 2 bottles of each only lasted one week for one person. With the current shortages of Robitussin I recommend getting at least 4 more of each just in case you both get sick again. The shelf life is over a year so it is worth having even if you don't get sick again until next fall/winter.

If you have a Prime account you can order it online for not much difference in price to WM. I have been trying to stock up when I see it. I have to have 4+ bottles of the kids formula and 4+ of the adult just to cover a week of a cold or flu for all of us. The pharmacies sell it for $20 so I try to get a deal when I can.
Thanks I would but... I bought all they had... All the stores in this area have been out for weeks. I check on line daily and if they have it in stock I pay them a visit. The wife is the only one who uses that stuff (Robitussin) because her doctor only approves that one. I prefer Nyquil, 2 swigs of that and I am down for the count. Then again I am just an barbaric heathen who believes in massive application of force/overkill for any problem.

She hasn't been able to fully recover from this bug, she is on her 4th relapse. I was lucky that I had 4 bottles when she first got sick, now I am maintaining just enough to have a spare.

I feel sorry for the parents in this area, it doesn't matter when I go into a drugstore/ pharmacy/ Walmart/Target I see them looking at empty pediatric cough syrup shelves... I know some people want to say there are no shortages, but when you can't find something in 8 different stores it starts to feel like a shortage.

His account is still there. Just some posts have been deleted including his Aardvark.
Even if I had deleted posts, I don't think I'd ever Aardvark from here, on the other hand probably most of the early people coming to this site Aardvarked from the other site, don't even remember it's name, sorry, getting older memories don't seem to last as long anymore.

I keep re-reading those posts about cough syrup and shortages at the store. It made me think about this, and us as a homesteading group of folks. Why not make your own cough syrup? I know, I am guilty of this myself when I was sick last month. I was lying in bed coughing and unable to sleep so my GF went out and bought a couple bottles of fake nyquil and I would take a gulp out of the bottle, sleep a couple hours and repeat as needed for a couple days. The best sleep I got was when I chased that cough syrup with a shot of Fireball whisky. I am not much for Fireball, we have the bottle in the pantry for the occasional/rare times with the pastor and his wife come to visit. Anyways, when the store bought stuff was gone I remembered I could make my own and mixed up the fireball with honey and lemon juice and it worked good.
I know some people can't or don't want to have alcohol but when I was a kid most all the store bought stuff had alcohol in it, except the stuff meant for young, little kids. An internet search will bring up many recipes, some listed as natural or herbal, some with apple cider some with vinegar, some with onions, some with garlic.

This link caught my attention because she is a homesteader and she offers 3 different recipes. With and without alcohol.

https://www.homesteadinginohio.com/2021/11/old-fashioned-cough-syrup-recipes-with.html
Maybe this will help someone here, now or in the future.

When my son came to visit at New Years he was just getting over the flu and still had a nagging cough. One the way home with him I stopped at grabbed 2 bottle of cough syrup but it didn't help him much. At bed time, when he was in the other room, I mixed up a shot of Fireball (good because of the cinnamon), honey and lime juice. We were out of lemon juice. I didn't tell him about the whiskey, because the kids and their mom are Mormon and I didn't want him to over think my concoction. Like I said, when I was a kid most store bought stuff had alcohol in it. Anyways, I called him into the room, explained the cinnamon, honey and lime juice and how each was helpful for a cough, and handed him the syrup and a cup of water in case he needed to chase it, I wasn't sure if the lime juice would make it too sour but as it turned out the honey sweetened it plenty. Anyways, he slept good that night, well for about 5 hours anyways. Last week the GF's youngest had a nagging cough and I asked her mom about the home made version. Mixed it up and gave it to her and she slept good that night and the next day her cough was mostly gone.
https://www.trialandeater.com/fireball-hot-toddy/
And, seeing this "hot toddy" name reminded me of a YouTube video I watched yesterday from an old ranch hand cook. I will post a link to that recipe too, but I plan to watch more of his videos which are mostly about the various ranch hand meals he cooks with old fashioned simple ingredients. The hot toddy recipe is at about the 5 minute mark, but the entire video is good to watch.
(edit: this is the full video I meant to post)

Last edited:
Thanks I would but... I bought all they had... All the stores in this area have been out for weeks. I check on line daily and if they have it in stock I pay them a visit. The wife is the only one who uses that stuff (Robitussin) because her doctor only approves that one. I prefer Nyquil, 2 swigs of that and I am down for the count. Then again I am just an barbaric heathen who believes in massive application of force/overkill for any problem.

She hasn't been able to fully recover from this bug, she is on her 4th relapse. I was lucky that I had 4 bottles when she first got sick, now I am maintaining just enough to have a spare.

I feel sorry for the parents in this area, it doesn't matter when I go into a drugstore/ pharmacy/ Walmart/Target I see them looking at empty pediatric cough syrup shelves... I know some people want to say there are no shortages, but when you can't find something in 8 different stores it starts to feel like a shortage.
Costco.

They seem to have the 3 bottle sets on the shelf. (2 daytime one night). Both kids and adults. When I couldn't find it in the regular stores here I went to Costco and found plenty. I bought some and have been building back a supply since K is the one who normally gets sick and needs the stuff. This last time the girls and I got sick at the same time as him and we have been taking OTC meds so we don't reinfect him. I normally will take my honey lemon ginger and drink tea to ride it out.

Even if I had deleted posts, I don't think I'd ever Aardvark from here, on the other hand probably most of the early people coming to this site Aardvarked from the other site, don't even remember it's name, sorry, getting older memories don't seem to last as long anymore.

Prepared Society

I never Aarvarked from there. I got my account locked by the jackass running the show over there when I questioned some post deleting he made. He changed the email on my account after locking me out by changing the password. I can never get into my own account over there or even delete a post or any of my pictures. To be honest I am thinking of going scorched earth and start flagging all my pictures and claim they are posted without my permission. Especially the pictures of the girls.

Chilling at the hotel. About to take a shower and hit the rack. It's 7:39pm and I want to be sawing logs at 8:30 because I have to be up at 3:10am for a 4am start at work. Tomorrow we load our equipment on the train and ship it 80 miles to Primm, on the California/Nevada border. We'll begin a new project on Friday, working on the line from Primm to Las Vegas. It's a 40 mile project that ends at Tropicana Boulevard. Not looking forward to this one at all...

Long day. Got back from the Aldi/Chiropractor/Chic fil a/Walmart trip with the neighbor and little Brenda. We managed to fill up the pickup truck, between the two of us. Still don't have all the dry goods put away. My cousin Bob decided to come for supper tonight, and then to watch the movie, "Amazon", about Roosevelt's life and travels on the Amazon. It was pretty interesting.

Every time I see the word Aardvark I think of a line from Monty Python- Arthur the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying or something like that.

Snappy, I hope your husband will pull through and get well soon. My dad was on the IV antibiotics for awhile and it made him feel really bad.

My brain is not working today. Internet was out most of Tuesday from afternoon on til almost noon Wednesday. Air fryer stopped working. I cleaned litterboxes. Feeling tired still.

How can you possibly have mice with all those puddy-tats? Me thinks they might need to go on rations until they do their job 😂
Only a few of the kitties are allowed into that room & of the 3, only one is any good at hunting mice. But the mice are in places she can't get to. Sometimes if I leave her in the room overnight I'll find 1 to 3 dead mice, but not always. She's getting older and isn't as spry as she used to be. The fat cat is our eldest & he doesn't hunt mice. The other one that goes in is very prissy and is afraid of mice.

I cleaned litterboxes (which cats had to use immediately after-- and one tried while I was cleaning one), cooked for mom, and rested. Had to look with mom at new air fryers online to replace the existing one. I wanted the same one but she wanted a fancier one. She prevailed.

Doing a little bit of cooking, have some apples to use up, and making french onion soup (see the onion thread) then going to town to collect lidded buckets from a restaurant for food storage for my Dad.
Some college work, and still have my husbands' accounts hanging over me.

I don't really get it LOL even looked up Aardvark.....huh?

It's cold and windy. Yesterday it poured all day , miserable day. So much rain our little retention areas we built to catch runoff and keep the road from washing out failed in 2 areas. Our 4wd truck actually got stuck in the mud ( it is parked under a roof of an extra building and husband got it stuck getting it out to take the garbage yesterday) .
Animals stayed in all day , we cleaned around the sheep ( they make the biggest mess)

I wished it was summer. I wished it would stop raining
Our sheep are due in about 2-3 weeks, my daughter in 3. I am going to be a little stressed. I hope the weather is not too horrible. They will be fine in the barn if it is above 20 but below might be a problem for the lambs.

I don't really get it LOL even looked up Aardvark.....huh?
Me neither. Maybe it is from a movie. And, I have no interest in looking it up or knowing the meaning. 🙄
Annoying night at work. For months I have been pointing out price tags that are significantly lower that actual prices that will be rung up at the register, I ignored the small price changes because I was trying to make a point with the big errors. Nothing has been done. I have complained that the number sequence of the bays/shelves were wrong and that often something that should be in space 100 was found in space 5 or space 54 or whatever. This doesn't usually concern the customer but when trying to put 500 different items on shelves throughout the store it goes a lot faster if their computer tells me the right place to look on the shelf. Nothing has been done. Two weeks ago I found a price for a ceiling light was $40 more than the sticker on the shelf, I showed my boss and he told me to take it to the store manager who was nearby, and the manager simply said "I will email so-and-so and them him know." No thank you or nothing for me pointing out the error or for me replacing the old price tag on the shelf with the correct price tag. I will never worry about changing price tags or pointing out the wrong prices again. I am just an hourly nobody now, and I am good with that. Today I pointed out a few problems to a department supervisor about one bay and asked what he wanted me to do or if he could fix the problem. He told me to leave the boxes in question on a nearby shelf with a note for them (whoever reads the note in the morning) to fix it. Well, that is what I did 2 weeks ago and all they did was put the boxes back where I had found them and ignored the problem.
A couple hour later my boss was talking about something he found in the overhead, Christmas decorative lighting something or other on a pallet but someone had adjusted quantity in the computer even though all of it was clearly visible on the pallet on the top rack. The total dollar value was quite high and he asked why the manager would not question the change. Well, I was already grumpy and blurted out "Because he doesn't give a damn." but then apologized and said I was a bit annoyed due to the other crap I dealt with earlier. But I did explain that I have been pointing out several important problems for at least 4 months when I first noticed a DeWalt power took kit was priced on the shelf at $150.00 MORE than the current sale price and that many sales were probably lost because customers didn't know about the discounted price. I told my supervisor that I shared information for 4 months and nothing has been done and the only response is that it is so-and-so's responsibility or they will let so-and-so know. He is the damn manager of the store and ultimately the responsibility is his but he doesn't care and he is making no effort to fix the problems in the store. Assign someone the task to scan everything in each department and correct price tags and take the 1 minute effort to sequence each bay so the computer knows the correct location for each item. But, NO, the manager doesn't care about that, but each morning they review what me and my coworkers do and let us know if we missed one little thing out of 100 or 200 items in that bay. They want to time me and review my work but they wont fix real problems?
In 5 or 6 weeks they claim the District Managers will come in at night for once and have a discussion with everyone on the freight team about concerns or questions. I told my supervisor I don't know if I should give them my list of store problems or if I should keep my mouth shut. Time will tell, depending on my mood that night.

Me neither. Maybe it is from a movie. And, I have no interest in looking it up or knowing the meaning. 🙄
Annoying night at work. For months I have been pointing out price tags that are significantly lower that actual prices that will be rung up at the register, I ignored the small price changes because I was trying to make a point with the big errors. Nothing has been done. I have complained that the number sequence of the bays/shelves were wrong and that often something that should be in space 100 was found in space 5 or space 54 or whatever. This doesn't usually concern the customer but when trying to put 500 different items on shelves throughout the store it goes a lot faster if their computer tells me the right place to look on the shelf. Nothing has been done. Two weeks ago I found a price for a ceiling light was $40 more than the sticker on the shelf, I showed my boss and he told me to take it to the store manager who was nearby, and the manager simply said "I will email so-and-so and them him know." No thank you or nothing for me pointing out the error or for me replacing the old price tag on the shelf with the correct price tag. I will never worry about changing price tags or pointing out the wrong prices again. I am just an hourly nobody now, and I am good with that. Today I pointed out a few problems to a department supervisor about one bay and asked what he wanted me to do or if he could fix the problem. He told me to leave the boxes in question on a nearby shelf with a note for them (whoever reads the note in the morning) to fix it. Well, that is what I did 2 weeks ago and all they did was put the boxes back where I had found them and ignored the problem.
A couple hour later my boss was talking about something he found in the overhead, Christmas decorative lighting something or other on a pallet but someone had adjusted quantity in the computer even though all of it was clearly visible on the pallet on the top rack. The total dollar value was quite high and he asked why the manager would not question the change. Well, I was already grumpy and blurted out "Because he doesn't give a damn." but then apologized and said I was a bit annoyed due to the other crap I dealt with earlier. But I did explain that I have been pointing out several important problems for at least 4 months when I first noticed a DeWalt power took kit was priced on the shelf at $150.00 MORE than the current sale price and that many sales were probably lost because customers didn't know about the discounted price. I told my supervisor that I shared information for 4 months and nothing has been done and the only response is that it is so-and-so's responsibility or they will let so-and-so know. He is the damn manager of the store and ultimately the responsibility is his but he doesn't care and he is making no effort to fix the problems in the store. Assign someone the task to scan everything in each department and correct price tags and take the 1 minute effort to sequence each bay so the computer knows the correct location for each item. But, NO, the manager doesn't care about that, but each morning they review what me and my coworkers do and let us know if we missed one little thing out of 100 or 200 items in that bay. They want to time me and review my work but they wont fix real problems?
In 5 or 6 weeks they claim the District Managers will come in at night for once and have a discussion with everyone on the freight team about concerns or questions. I told my supervisor I don't know if I should give them my list of store problems or if I should keep my mouth shut. Time will tell, depending on my mood that night.
Give them your list, let them know!!

Not sure where you work but it sounds like a hardware store? If it is Home Depot by chance, shoot me a private message. I know the CEO personally and I'm sure he would want to know what you have dealt with.

Latest posts

Back