What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's hard to watch, Kenv. I see my mom slipping away a little more each week. Funny you mentioned the ability to write, I've noticed that with my mom. I just signed a bday card from her to my uncle...she just told me to do it.
Went to the feed store in our town. 500# of chicken feed, and then I got it unloaded to the milkhouse. Bought another Zpack since more came in. They sell them for $35.00. The geese got their pool party water later this afternoon when the temps went up to above freezing. Husband went back to pulmonary physical therapy...first time since November. He said it was hard, but he did it. A sams Club dry goods order came in today, so I've been busy putting stuff away. A new circuit board from Harvest Right for the freeze dryer came in, so hoping husband can install that soon.

Another new cat, they must have posted on social media, free fuds.

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 4.48.20 PM.png

That's hard to watch, Kenv. I see my mom slipping away a little more each week. Funny you mentioned the ability to write, I've noticed that with my mom. I just signed a bday card from her to my uncle...she just told me to do it.
Went to the feed store in our town. 500# of chicken feed, and then I got it unloaded to the milkhouse. Bought another Zpack since more came in. They sell them for $35.00. The geese got their pool party water later this afternoon when the temps went up to above freezing. Husband went back to pulmonary physical therapy...first time since November. He said it was hard, but he did it. A sams Club dry goods order came in today, so I've been busy putting stuff away. A new circuit board from Harvest Right for the freeze dryer came in, so hoping husband can install that soon.
Wow

I would move the grain and call it a days work.;)

Youngest granddaughter visited and announced an art project that Gramma and Grampa had to help with . o_O

Gramma scrambled doing run n fetch it while I worked the technical aspects to support Eden's artistic liberty with the resources we had on hand.

She should at least get some interest.

20230122_154020_HDR~2.jpg

She built up the central mushroom of card stock faced with construction paper to get depth. She found the little mushrooms in a bin of plant related Lego parts. While figuring how to ship to school without being damaged we considered an insect display case but it was too small. Eden decided a butterfly and cicada would be useful. As the images shows she was pleased with her project.

After attending to the greenhouse and misc today I started to outlining the sub-tasks required to add the new water heater. I soon realized I am short a valve or 2. This prompted me consolidate the new widgets I have for PEX. Looks like I am down a 3/4 crimp ball valve.

About then a buddy arrived to take a shower and talk. His water heater is acting up not delivering any hot water. I let him use the spare shower we have. He has been transitioning into a SSI based retirement . He has options and doesn't want/need our help. Good enuff.

I did some research into AI as a homework assignment. Stumbled across...

Episode 1 in a 4 episode sequence. Very intense but understandable

Lots of learning to go

Ben

Last edited:
Dade, I think it is awesome that you put out shelters for the stray kitties. I wish more people would do that.

Spike, I hope you can get in a better mindset and that you will be feeling better by the time you have to get back to work.

Inresponse, I wonder if it was an MRI or something. When the did mine, they didn't even have laparoscopic surgery. As an aside, my surgeon was Dr. Ernest Wong Wing Kwong. I only know that bc the put his name on the photo of my appendix (I asked for it in a jar but they said most they could do was give me a photo). My biology teacher thought it was cool. I know medicine has advanced a LOT since then.

Patchouli, I know that feeling. Some days I don't feel like doing anything.

Mountaintrapper, I hope you had a restful day and that when you go to catch the otter that it goes well. They are cute little buggers. Sound like dog's squeak toys though.

I changed the cabin air filter in the truck (it had leaves in it), picked up a sick friend's curbside order from Walmart, got more grits (mice got the last ones) for Mom, got containers for the grits to keep mice out, & hung out with my friend. His daughter showed me the ceiling fan I got her & was super happy about the remote control for it. She's also happy with the ladder pads for her loft bed. Had my friend ride with me to Walmart so he could listen to the weird sounds truck is making. Might be suspension but he's not sure. Local tire shop might be able to tell. Cooked vegetable fried rice for dinner. Mom actually liked it. The dogs were begging for scraps. Princess (the dog) was so happy afterward that she jumped up and hugged me. She's a sweetheart.

Cats have been using the new litterbox and have not been crapping on the hallway carpet in front of Mom's door anymore.

I did my shoulder exercises. I usually do them in my bathroom bc I have more space in there than in the rest of the house- plus the pulley thingy is in there.
How can you possibly have mice with all those puddy-tats? Me thinks they might need to go on rations until they do their job 😂

Had some interest in my 4 week old kits from my CL ad. I have them listed as NZ/Rex cross since they are not pure bred but they are 15/16 Rex. Their grandma was 3/4 Rex so that gives you an idea that if I kept one of the doelings back for breeding and she had a Rex coat I would call her kits pure Rex at that point. Anyway I had someone ask my pricing for the kits. Since they are too young to sex and their full coat is not in yet I can only estimate the price I would charge. When they asked about a non Rex coat female kit I quoted $60 since I don't know which are girls and I have some knowledge on what colors and breeds go for. Plus a female can be used to breed more rabbits down the line. Not to mention that is meat that could be in my freezer. $60 doesn't even cover the 100 lbs of feed it takes to raise up ONE litter (and my five breeders) to butcher weight.

Now, I can't tell this to someone who wants a pet rabbit. Still doesn't take away from the expense of growing those babies out for meat or pets. Well, my price was too high in their opinion for a "mixed" breed rabbit. Um, no skin off my teeth as that rabbit will go to freezer camp if you don't buy it. I think they were trying to get me to lower my price. Either way that rabbit has some place to go. 🤫

Trying to get more decluttering done. I have 99% of January's declutter calendar done. I have done some other decluttering as well as what was on the calendar but I am focusing on getting the calendar done early to move on to the next month. The goal is to get 365 days of decluttering done before the move. We start packing in March so I want a jumpstart. I will pack un-needed things in the areas I have already decluttered so we are not living out of boxes or waiting to get certain areas packed.

I am already in the mindset to get rid of things I have no use for or have not used in forever. There are some things I will keep in case of SHingTF like my manual kitchen tools. Don't you take my crank coffee grinder!

Ethique shampoo bars is changing their packaging and bar shape. So I am finding deals online from small shops that are discounting them until their revamped stock comes in. I can get a 4 oz bar for less than $10 while a 2.5 oz bar of JR Liggetts is still $12. I am buying a few here and there for myself and the girls. I can't use the same ones as the girls since they have short straight hair and I have 3C curls down my back. Still, a deal is a deal.

Another quiet day, needed. Two more cd's came today, worked on those. One really isn't bluegrass but had 2 songs I wanted, more of a country album. By vince gill from 1994. It has the song "go rest high on the mountain". I didn't know some of the other song titles but turns out several were on the radio back then, I remember "what the cowgirls do" and 2 more.

The other cd is all instrumental, no vocals and pure bluegrass. Mostly christmas songs. I realized a few weeks ago I didn't remember how to play a single christmas song. I'll be ready next christmas.

Another quiet day, needed. Two more cd's came today, worked on those. One really isn't bluegrass but had 2 songs I wanted, more of a country album. By vince gill from 1994. It has the song "go rest high on the mountain". I didn't know some of the other song titles but turns out several were on the radio back then, I remember "what the cowgirls do" and 2 more.

The other cd is all instrumental, no vocals and pure bluegrass. Mostly christmas songs. I realized a few weeks ago I didn't remember how to play a single christmas song. I'll be ready next christmas.
We will be waiting for some videos!!😉😊

How can you possibly have mice with all those puddy-tats? Me thinks they might need to go on rations until they do their job 😂
Mice, Lizards, Moles have almost vanished, The TNR trap is gonna get a workout when it's warmer.

Going on a major shopping trip today, haven't been in weeks. I am dreading it, it will take most of the day. I hope my vehicle is now fixed and no problems
Poor puppy is going to be in his crate for a long time today and will not be happy. Usually son lets them out when we go somewhere but he has classes today so he won't be here either. I am almost debating if we should put him in the barn but that would probably upset him since he is not used to it.
One of the problems with living far away from everything. Maybe we will take him along, we did last time when this happened. But I hate leaving him in the vehicle at Walmart , worried someone will break in and take him.
Plus he might tear up the seats or something. I have a big vehicle but not big enough to put a dog crate and all the shopping in

Yesterday.... part 2:
Went to town to hit a few stores. Harbor Freight for 100' rubber air hose and a retractable air hose for my current project in the garage, Lowes for 2 bags of sand to clean off the chickens "poop" shelf. The propane place to refill a few tanks. A couple other stores, then before turning north for home asked if there was any place else we needed to go. Lunch? OK but Texas Roadhouse doesn't open for 2 more hours. Chinese? VROOM, not gonna hesitate. But, food was decent, not great. We don't go there often due to the (mostly) KETO diet but we noticed all employees were new from our last visit a few months ago. The man we knew as the owner wasn't there, but he does get some time off I suppose, and we are concerned there may be new owners along with new employees. I certainly hope not. It is definitely not the best Chinese food but it is the best within at least 50 miles, and probably 150 miles.

Came home and planned to fire up the propane heater in the garage and work on some air lines. Walked in and one of the girls was holding a chicken on her lap and it was covered with a towel. She said the chicken was sick and they had the cage set up in the garage so she could be isolated and warmer at night. Well, great!!! Bird in the garage means I can't/wont fire up the propane heater to heat the garage. Dang bird will be there probably a week. That sudden situation change put me in a bad mood. I brought in everything from the car and went to my room to watch YouTube. That gained me a 45 minute nap before work. I suppose that was a good compromise.

Boss at work called off so we were stuck with one of the assistant managers to "supervise" us unloading a truck. He did a great job of making our job take longer. He was taking boxes that should be "over there" and putting them "over here" and even though our team has a certain rhythm as we work together he kept changing things up. But, I suppose the electrical cart needed some plumbing parts and hardware needed the garden supplies. but I don't think power tools needed to be on the pallets with ceiling fans and light bulbs didn't need to be mixed in with flooring.

Tomorrow/today it is supposed to warm up 3 or 4 degrees to maybe 34 or 35 but it is still supposed to be windy. We shall see what curve ball life has instore for me as the day goes on.

I am STAYING HOME today!! Getting heavy rain now, mixed precipitation later, brrrr!! Rescheduled with the couple I was cleaning for today. I have laundry to put away, I am going to cut up and freeze peppers and onions, cook and freeze fajita meat and taco meat, and put a stew in the crock pot!! Fixin' to go feed the donkey, he will be waiting in his nice dry shed filled with fluffy shavings for his catered breakfast!🙄 I also have a mile long list of odd jobs inside that I MAY start to tackle!!

Took Hubby's pickup back in for about the 5th time. We've already spent a lot of $$$ for them not to fix it. I wasn't rude, but did make it clear that this was ridiculous and asked what we needed to do to actually get it fixed. Praying the fear of the short crazy lady causes them to fix it this time. 🙏

Took Hubby's pickup back in for about the 5th time. We've already spent a lot of $$$ for them not to fix it. I wasn't rude, but did make it clear that this was ridiculous and asked what we needed to do to actually get it fixed. Praying the fear of the short crazy lady causes them to fix it this time. 🙏
I thought we only called you that behind your back!!🤪

Sorry to see you go @Wingnut ! Loved the photos and motorcycle adventures!

Today, I walked first.
Went to Dollar General where all Christmas items are 25 cents today. Came home with 5 candles, a tin of popcorn and a couple of rugs for $1.88 total.
Fed and walked dogs.
Washed rugs.
Cleaned bathrooms.
Dusted house.
It's boring without DH here! He isn't a lot better, but I think his breathing is improving.
Will try and make myself sit down for a while.

Why do they always pull an Aardvark?!

Sorry to see you go @Wingnut ! Loved the photos and motorcycle adventures!

Today, I walked first.
Went to Dollar General where all Christmas items are 25 cents today. Came home with 5 candles, a tin of popcorn and a couple of rugs for $1.88 total.
Fed and walked dogs.
Washed rugs.
Cleaned bathrooms.
Dusted house.
It's boring without DH here! He isn't a lot better, but I think his breathing is improving.
Will try and make myself sit down for a while.
What happened to Wingnut?

I think guardian deleted his account, if you look up old posts of his, he is referred to as "user 55"!!🤔
His account is still there. Just some posts have been deleted including his Aardvark.

"The problem with being able to do everything is you are expected to do everything."

So my sister called "Can I ask you a math question?"

Somehow she must have missed the math class about square roots. Eventually I managed to talk her through setting her calculator for scientific operations. Successive approximation is not something that be done over the phone.

So I followed that up a visit to help the eldest granddaughter with her algebra. It turns out they finished the unit I have so I had to wing it. We talked about graphing equations and writing equations based on graphs.

So on multiple fronts it was math today. Glad I am able to help.

Ben

So I started up my truck for the first time since I drove it home from the repair shop to go shopping, drove it down the mountain and the traction control turned off warning sign came on....
Tried calling the repair shop but my phone cut out . Drove to town and called again. Was told that it has nothing to do with the brake repairs they did and it might just be a sensor. So unless I skid through a curve in ice and snow it should be fine.
After we stopped at the first place I turned it back on, and the light was off....whatever.
I asked husband what we should do if we have a truck full of stuff and it dies on the road ....
It didn't. We made it home

We filled up the Yukon to the top today. Dog food, chicken food, paper towels ( I thought we had years worth but running low) , regular groceries, sand , potting soil, newspaper stack from the library

Today I worked in the office in person, had a call to Europe so I checked in the office early 05:00, the wife knew I was leaving the house early (have over an hour commute), and she got up to see me off and then stayed up until I got home this evening, she has already gone to bed for the night...

Anyway, I have been looking for a quick way to have pancakes or waffles for breakfast without using the freezer or needing to do a lot of fancy mixing. Looked up complete batter mixes, found that I had one in my long term storage (Augason Farms, but I don't want to break open the can to test it). Back to topic, read some old reviews and they said the Bisquick complete was my best choice (for evaluation), but you can't find it... Seem's if I like or want something they quit making it... But, I noticed that GIANT FOODS has 2 different generic complete batter mixes, one has more salt per serving than the other.... And, if I take the back roads I pass by a GIANT on my commute. So, of course I stop by that store on my way home and bought 1 of each (for testing). Then I get home and after the wife went to sleep I started reading the labels.. The serving sizes are different, so now I have to do math to find out the real story! Sure enough the one with more salt per serving has the larger serving size!

The nice thing is, if one of these works out it will provide a medium to long term storage solution for pancakes and waffles batter.

I still have to adjust the mixing volumes to provide 1 serving, as I don't want to eat a dozen at a time.....

Today I worked in the office in person, had a call to Europe so I checked in the office early 05:00, the wife knew I was leaving the house early (have over an hour commute), and she got up to see me off and then stayed up until I got home this evening, she has already gone to bed for the night...

Anyway, I have been looking for a quick way to have pancakes or waffles for breakfast without using the freezer or needing to do a lot of fancy mixing. Looked up complete batter mixes, found that I had one in my long term storage (Augason Farms, but I don't want to break open the can to test it). Back to topic, read some old reviews and they said the Bisquick complete was my best choice (for evaluation), but you can't find it... Seem's if I like or want something they quit making it... But, I noticed that GIANT FOODS has 2 different generic complete batter mixes, one has more salt per serving than the other.... And, if I take the back roads I pass by a GIANT on my commute. So, of course I stop by that store on my way home and bought 1 of each (for testing). Then I get home and after the wife went to sleep I started reading the labels.. The serving sizes are different, so now I have to do math to find out the real story! Sure enough the one with more salt per serving has the larger serving size!

The nice thing is, if one of these works out it will provide a medium to long term storage solution for pancakes and waffles batter.

I still have to adjust the mixing volumes to provide 1 serving, as I don't want to eat a dozen at a time.....
Sometimes you just have to try new brands!!

I stop by that store on my way home and bought 1 of each of the batter mixes (for testing). Then I get home I started reading the labels.. The serving sizes are different, so now I had to do math to find out the real story!
So when I used math to make the serving sizes equal, the mix with more salt per serving (but larger serving size) actually had slightly less salt per unit volume. And apparently the only difference between the two mixes is that one had powdered butter milk and the other does not.... You really do have to read all the fine print to do this stuff...

Not sure what constitutes fancy mixing, but I make my own “quick mix” for pancakes and waffles. It’s the dry ingredients and then I just add the egg, milk, and butter. If you are interested, holler 😁

Latest posts

Back