What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta head to work for a bit. Doing laundry now. Planning to clean out my tack shed this afternoon. I know I have nice leather halter that will fit Buddy, and the handle broke on my rubber curry comb so I need to dig out another one. It will be a pretty afternoon, I can drag stuff out, and oil my saddles I never use🙃!

I am going Valentine's Day shopping. Did anybody remember it is Tuesday? Won't take long. I know where to go, and what I am going to get.
I remembered!! I'll actually be home by noon Tuesday!! I'm taking Bear shopping, Tractor Supply, Orschlen's, Home Depot !! I'm making Hubby cupcakes, his birthday is the following Monday so he gets shorted a little on Valentine's Day! Hey, it's a gift living with me!!🙄🤔😃😉

Went to the neighbor's parents place to help with the two pigs. They bought two 300lb pigs from the pig guy, and that's what they butchered. So last night they were gutted, skinned, and hung. Today we got them both cut up. Some were cut in big chunks for canning, some were cut for chops, some for roasts, and the rest we ground up for sausage. There's two boxes of fat and fat scraps given to me to render lard. The other ladies weren't wanting to do it. Also stayed for lunch. So we are all back home now and feeling nappish after the high carb amish lunch. Ha. So I'm having coffee to stay awake.

Heartbroken, I understand completely about not wanting to get rid of things. It's been almost 14 years since my father died and we still have his clothes & stuff. The shelf next to his nightstand is still pretty much untouched. We just haven't been able to bring ourselves to get rid of any of it. At least you got things moved so there is progress. Everyone grieves and handles things differently, so its important to do what feels right for yourself & to know you are not alone.

Ben, I wish I was physically capable of doing even half the stuff you do in terms of DIY. I have the knowledge for a lot of things but lack the dexterity & hand strength. Your posts are inspiring though so I'm hoping to attempt more DIY stuff. My friend made me feel a little better about always asking for my help on stuff because I admitted I feel a bit guilty about it sometimes. We'd been talking about a former friend who would only call when he wanted something from someone. Pretty much only saw him when helping him out. My friend reminded me that we talk on a regular basis and visit without it being about doing something for someone else and that he knows that I only call him to do things I can't do myself and that he knows that I would do it myself if I were able to but that I need his help with things. He said the former friend was able to do stuff, he was just too lazy. That made me feel a little better, but I still wish I wasn't so uncoordinated.

I somehow managed to cut my finger on the toaster. It had fallen and I was picking it up and somehow found a piece of sharp metal on it. My list of things I've managed to cut myself on: Glass shelf, metal band on a paintbrush, door of the microwave, foil packaging on medicine, glass cup (accidentally stepped on it while getting out of bed & it had fallen off my nightstand), broken glass in the sink, metal framing inside old computer chassis, screwdriver, jell-o pudding cup, & now a toaster.

Anyway, I'm still feeling like garbage. Taking vitamins & Mucinex. I wish I'd gotten some orange juice. Cats are piling on me-- I'm pretending its because they want to comfort me rather than I'm warm and they seek warm spots to sit. Itsy came over and made a cute noise at me & licked my forehead- she hits a spot that actually helps to relieve headache. Got woken up by a cat fight- Yasuke and Senator Snugglebum got into a tussle that had them rolling around the room in a ball fighting. Sir Hammington jumped in to break it up and then I had to step in between to keep him from fighting with Snugglebum. Yasuke had retreated as soon as he could.

I'm planning to try to get more rest today. I should have enough chicken noodle soup to tide mom over in terms of meals.

Getting ready to go do the animals, start a roast for roast beef nachos tonight, and make potato salad for my favorite cousin's birthday luncheon today. She turns 75. Some of her kids and grandkids have come into town to celebrate, too. Fried mush and liverwurst are the menu for the luncheon.
Did get the pig fat picked out and refrigerated from yesterday's butchering. Filled 7 gallon bags. I'll probably start working on it tomorrow, just threw it in the fridge for now.

It's raining, supposed to snow but so far only rain. No new lambs, husband just went to barn to check. I dread going outside, miserable day today. Have to clean around the animals since nobody is going out in this and we have run out of rooms in the barn to rotate them around in.
Still have to finish those taxes, plus making chili and cornbread today

Good morning, everyone.
I had trouble sleeping last night because my nose kept whistling and I heard myself wheezing a bit so it annoyed me. But Rupert was my cuddle buddy and curled up with me purring and helped me sleep.
I feel like I'm getting more air today than I was yesterday but my balance is off so I'm planning to take it easy today. If I feel well enough and have my balance I need to take trash out and clean litterboxes. I tried yesterday but kept nearly falling over.
Plan for today is to drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as I can.

Did y'all miss me? Those of you who missed me, report to the nearest firing range for additional firearms training, lol... ;)

Gonna hang out and BBQ today, I cooked some steaks yesterday in this slightly warmer weather, but I also bought some chicken to throw on the grill today... :)

Tomorrow we're back to colder weather, so I gotta take advantage of this warm spell... a hint of spring around the corner, aye? Pretty soon, I'll be taking up the home rehab torch again... :oops:

Did y'all miss me? Those of you who missed me, report to the nearest firing range for additional firearms training, lol... ;)

Gonna hang out and BBQ today, I cooked some steaks yesterday in this slightly warmer weather, but I also bought some chicken to throw on the grill today... :)

Tomorrow we're back to colder weather, so I gotta take advantage of this warm spell... a hint of spring around the corner, aye? Pretty soon, I'll be taking up the home rehab torch again... :oops:
Missed you!!

Yes, and glad you are back! Photos of escapades?

Well, I recently visited the oldest zoo in the Southwest, right here in Alamogordo... founded in 1898, same as the town. I'm not sure where to post the pics, maybe in my trail riding thread, lol. :cool:

I'm gonna go outside and BBQ in a few moments, I wanna take advantage of this warmer weather... clouds are moving in but that's okay, the forecast calls for rain by tomorrow and we need it here in the high desert. :rolleyes:

Yep, missed you Wingnut. Welcome back!
Finished afternoon animal chores after coming home from favorite Cousin's bday luncheon. That was a good time. A roast in the crockpot for nachos a little later. Talked with the other grandpa to two of our grandsons that are terrors in New Mexico. He's raising one of the two, the mom has the other. They are half siblings to the twins. We are both counting down the days till age 18, and it's always good to check in with him to see how they're doing. Alot of similarities, and we try to encourage each other.

Getting ready to go do the animals, start a roast for roast beef nachos tonight, and make potato salad for my favorite cousin's birthday luncheon today. She turns 75. Some of her kids and grandkids have come into town to celebrate, too. Fried mush and liverwurst are the menu for the luncheon.
Did get the pig fat picked out and refrigerated from yesterday's butchering. Filled 7 gallon bags. I'll probably start working on it tomorrow, just threw it in the fridge for now.
Liverwurst and fried mush would be something that most people would have never eaten and might not be able to even know about or consider eating. It is probably not on any printed restaurant menu in America. I don't know if I have ever eaten liverwurst, but fried mush is something I've had. If anything, some people would be familiar with polenta.

I missed you, I hate being the only oddball on here :D

Yep, I was wondering what kind of trouble you were getting into. Good to see you back.

If you were in Alamagordo, you were in New Mexico. It is not a place that I have ever desired to live in, but there are many interesting Indian ruins there. I was at one about 10 years ago that had been discovered, but it was buried. Then it was dug up, to see the extent of it, and then covered back up, which I really never understood. I also cannot remember the name of it. I do have photos from the White Sands.

We had two types of fried mush. One was made from yellow cornmeal, and was my favorite cousin's recipe with the tomato cream gravy. The other type, her daughter in law made, made from white cornmeal, and flatter looking. My cousin said that's how it's made in Indiana, where dil came from. Both were different. Liverwurst (done properly) almost looks like cooked ground beef, crumbled. Our town's big liverwurst and fried mush dinner will be on the 24th of this month at the Mennonite church. It's a fundraiser for the Mennonite Manor where mom lives. They do this every year, by donation for the supper, and sooo many people come out for it. We always go and have a good time. Pie and ice cream for dessert. I guess that and bierrocks are considered traditional dishes for our town.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours or more digging 2 horseradish plants from one of my beds. I just put them out last spring and they flourished. I had loaded the bottom half or maybe a little more with cut up logs, limbs, and sticks with plenty of compost throughout. I had roots that ran all the way to the bottom of the bed. Twisted and turned around the wood when it found one. Even found a few that had worked their way into some of the wood and was rooting from that. I tried to dig out all the roots no matter how small. Both main plant bunches took up the better part of a 5 gallon bucket each ( not packed in). Had another bucket over half full of single roots that got separated. Now to figure out how to process it.

I still have 3 plants down in the garden, so they'll be plenty for future use.

Because no one else will work on Sunday, I get to pull that duty at the pharmacy. Today was oddly busy given it's Superbowl Sunday. Expected it to calm down after the lunch break but it didn't. The pharmacist I worked with today is the one who hired me--we've worked together for 11 years or more. She's usually very optimistic and doesn't think anything bad will ever happen. Today she was taking about her parents (Holocaust survivors) and was commenting on how she didn't know what their lives were really like before the camps. She was very inquisitive of how my family fared during the Depression and subsequent war. We discussed how "folks better wake up and learn real fast." It was a very sobering day to say the least.

Awesome Sunday today. Great Sunday school and church today. Left early and spent hour at nursing home to supervise mother in law and assisted her eating. Stopped at neighbors barn to check out baby goats. His college granddaughter and her SO are on kid watch. They have different color ear tags for owners. Stopped 2 weeks ago and 1 momma had quintuplets but mom got mastitis again and they are bottle feeding babies. Most goats have 2 embryos in them. High dollar show goats. Anyway 2 went into labor and I got to see first goat delivered. However 1st baby was a big boy and mom required them pulling him. 10 pound boy. Perfect. Left so not sure if she had a twin. Got home and husband tilled the garden!

The gentleman I bought my shop from was going through some of his stuff and found a pair of gorilla lift springs and offered them to me for $50. I of course, said sure and they had been setting in my shop for the last six months. My last trip to Menards I picked up 4 recessed tie downs for my little utility trailer as well. So after hauling a load of brush to the landfill yesterday, I pulled the little trailer in, gave her a good wash and proceeded to install the lift system on the rails, then routed out pockets for the tie downs this afternoon and got those installed. I had to order a set of extension rollers for the lift cables so they won't rub on the ends of the side rails. This makes lowering and lifting the end gate so much easier!

The tie downs are much needed, as trying to secure either the big zero turn mower or the Mule in the trailer is a pain in the rear with no real tie down points. I also ordered a 40mm ammo can the mount to the trailer to store straps and what not in. Next weekend I plan to tackle the car hauler, which is getting a 12000lb winch mounted on it and dual rear jacks to keep the dang thing from jumping sky high when loading it. The property that we purchased adjacent to ours has a couple of junk cars on it, as well as a boat and an old camper that need hauled off. Unfortunately, it is in too remote of a place to find someone to come and haul them off for scrap, so the task falls to us. We want to get as much of the junk hauled off before spring starts, so that way I can get the shredder and brush trimmer in before the saplings and grass get to growing. We are thinking if we can get that lot mowed down, it will help reduce the number of ticks and mice we've been battling the last couple of seasons.
20230212_151645.jpg

20230212_161654.jpg

20230212_183518.jpg

Yesterday I spent a couple hours or more digging 2 horseradish plants from one of my beds. I just put them out last spring and they flourished. I had loaded the bottom half or maybe a little more with cut up logs, limbs, and sticks with plenty of compost throughout. I had roots that ran all the way to the bottom of the bed. Twisted and turned around the wood when it found one. Even found a few that had worked their way into some of the wood and was rooting from that. I tried to dig out all the roots no matter how small. Both main plant bunches took up the better part of a 5 gallon bucket each ( not packed in). Had another bucket over half full of single roots that got separated. Now to figure out how to process it.

I still have 3 plants down in the garden, so they'll be plenty for future use.
My stepdad planted horseradish one time, only to regret the processing, the vapors from grinding the stuff really attacked his eyes, so it would probably be a good idea to do some research on how to shread horseradish without damaging your eyes.

Good to see you back, Wingnut.

I've never had fried mush but I've had liverwurst. Mom likes it.

My plans of rest were scrapped because my brother reminded me we were out of cases of water so we had to go to samsclub. We stopped at Panda to eat. I had to use a riding cart because my limbs felt heavy and I kept feeling like I was going to fall over. Mom wanted me to stop at Walmart on the way home for her rx but she didn't check to see if it was ready. Her insurance said its too soon for refills so it was denied. Got home and put groceries away, fed mom, and called my uncle. I am going to try to call him every other week. He misses us and is sad that people don't write back or call. He's very social. Mom is antisocial. I'm in between. LOL. I socialize online more than in person because people are exhausting to me.

Still feeling a bit bleh but could be worse. Snuggled up with my kitty Rupert for now. I keep thinking about how I wish my dad had lived long enough to see him. He loved orange cats in particular and would have adored Rupert. I finally got his DD-214s from the archives (I requested them almost 2 years ago) and discovered that he'd been in the National Guard. I never knew that. I knew he'd been in the army in Vietnam and then in Army Reserves, but I don't remember him ever mentioning National Guard service before. I still got a chuckle when it said he had 8 years of education (he dropped out in 8th grade) plus GED and he was in Army Intelligence. LOL.

Usually I check the doors before leaving for church. Today I didn’t. Wife has been really good lately on relocking doors.

Sunday School and Church.

Lunch at wife’s choice of restaurants.

Home and found the front door was unlocked. Wife forgot to relock after feeding her herd of cats. My fault for not checking.

Made a few changes to a customer‘s website per their request.

Took nap.

Caught up on YouTubes that I’ve subscribed to.

Watching the Super Bowl starting with the National Anthem. Read emails during half time purposely missing the “entertainment”.

There you are. I will call off search and rescue. ;)
Glad you are okay.

Tried to make Valentine's Day chocolates. The chocolate rumfills turned out but the mine run candy did not. I'm out of practice & I'd not yet made chocolate on this stove so got it too hot 😖
Spent most of the day with Hubby going to get a new C&C machine. He's happy.

Latest posts

Back