What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..its pretty bad ..lots of damage by the fire to all the upstairs machines wiring on some level.
The water damage and now ice covering everything, is a whole different added problem.
It is a mess..

Management Hope's it wont take longer than a few weeks to thaw n dry out the mill while repairing the wiring to the newer small log line.
If in a few weeks if they are able to get that going. At least well be producing something again.
Getting the power back on safety is a priority too during this time. Power n control panels dont like inches of water n ice.
Cold temps will continue until the end of feb..at least.
It's a day by day affair at the moment tho..

I put the snaps on one of the bibs. I don't know if I'm gonna do the next one tonight or not. I need to take another round of medication. One needs to be taken with food.
20230214_210244.jpg
20230214_210259.jpg

Hope you are feeling better!
Thank you. I'm still having some pain but thanking God I have not had to take percocet!

I did stay up and finish the bibs. The doll I used is the size and weight of a newborn. One bib is for infants and the other is for 1 and 2 year olds.
20230215_020913.jpg
20230215_020850.jpg
20230215_020826.jpg

Attachments

• 20230215_020730.jpg
    20230215_020730.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230215_020500.jpg
    20230215_020500.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230215_020436.jpg
    20230215_020436.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Retired my 07 GMC to the farm today. Replaced it with a 2021 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 Duramax diesel. It looks like an old man truck, if the shoe fits….

View attachment 104043
My brother has a '21 GMC with the little diesel in it too. He really likes his so far, except for when he has to fill the tank...

I just got off a red eye from Vegas to O'Hare at 5:15AM. Now I have a 3 1/2 hour wait for my connector to Des Moines.

Next week when I fly back out to Vegas I'll drive to Omaha and take a direct flight on Southwest. Then I'll have a direct flight back home on the 27th. I'll get home 10 hours sooner than on the Vegas>O'Hare>Des Moines route, for only $50 more...

Wingnut, I was just looking out in my car port at all the stuff out there. I don't even know what half of it is. We need to rehome it (I hate throwing stuff away) since we will probably never use it. Not sure where to even start though. I need to get pictures of stuff and see if we can identify what the stuff is and I can talk to Mom about if we want to sell it on FB marketplace or something.

Hope you get feeling better soon, Mel.

The neighbor's dogs were back in the yard so Princess was barking at them through the window. They went behind my house so I went out to see what they were up to. They were gone though. I think they were in the woods in the back field because I heard barking. I went back inside & mentioned "walkies". Fippy wagged his tail but wouldn't get down from my bed. He's almost 14 so I think he's sore. He curled up on some blankets instead. It was too damp outside anyway.

I had trouble sleeping last night because I kept coughing and that made me have to go to the bathroom so I had to keep getting up and going to the bathroom. Must have gone about 10x. I've been drinking a lot of water. This stupid cold better go away soon.

My plan for today is to do my shoulder exercises, eat soup, and rest.

Blustery day outside, and rainy too, so the cats & I are stayin' indoors, lol... might run to town later, depends upon whether I need anything. In this cold wet weather, I have a hankerin' for a nice hot beef roast with mashed potatoes & gravy, lol. I still have some leftover BBQ action, but I'm leaning toward the roast, 10-4? I like a good hot beef roast in the winter, it hits the spot, lol. Very much a 'seasonal' food with me, I don't eat many beef roasts in the heat of summer, though I will eat 'em in spring & fall. Same goes for oatmeal and other hot cereals, they're too much in summer... but boy, are they sure good in cold weather, lol. Lately I've been cooking 'Cream of Wheat' on the range top, and adding real butter, brown sugar & milk... I eat it straight out of the pot too, less dishes that way, lol. Ah, the 'Bachelor Life!!!' 😁

P.S. I also use mixing bowls for my cold cereal, it's easier to top off with berries & banana that way, lol... ;)

I'll have to start checking for goathead vines again... I made a HUGE dent in the population last season, but I'm gonna remain on the lookout so I can keep those things off my property, lol.
In the places that I know that have had goat head burrs, it takes a few years of keeping them pulled to eliminate them. I think that they can be around, as burrs for a few years before they sprout. One dog park that I frequent had them 6 years ago, but I haven't seen any there for a couple years now.

Filled a cart at Aldi. Now I need to get it all unloaded and put away. Coffee first. Snow is coming and the temp is dropping. Got some straw put to one of the turkey runs to keep it dryer, and the rabbit cages all cleaned out. School was calling, granddaughter was MIA. But I think she's back now. Child services texting another meeting. I'm not going. I don't see the point. Husband disagrees, but oh well. Not saying what it's about or who is going to be there does not sit well with me.

Blustery day outside, and rainy too, so the cats & I are stayin' indoors, lol... might run to town later, depends upon whether I need anything. In this cold wet weather, I have a hankerin' for a nice hot beef roast with mashed potatoes & gravy, lol. I still have some leftover BBQ action, but I'm leaning toward the roast, 10-4? I like a good hot beef roast in the winter, it hits the spot, lol. Very much a 'seasonal' food with me, I don't eat many beef roasts in the heat of summer, though I will eat 'em in spring & fall. Same goes for oatmeal and other hot cereals, they're too much in summer... but boy, are they sure good in cold weather, lol. Lately I've been cooking 'Cream of Wheat' on the range top, and adding real butter, brown sugar & milk... I eat it straight out of the pot too, less dishes that way, lol. Ah, the 'Bachelor Life!!!' 😁

P.S. I also use mixing bowls for my cold cereal, it's easier to top off with berries & banana that way, lol... ;)
That's what my daughter always liked, but with black berries, milk and cinn. and sug.

Dug out a lot of the root cellar today, until we ran out of hydraulic fluid and then the bucket lid (for replacement fluid) was frozen on. So then we skidded logs over to the sawmill. Cleaned the RV.
Heading out to OTF soon to workout. I'm definitely seeing a difference in my strength and muscle definition since switching in November.
I'll run by the store after that to pick up some more food.

Filled a cart at Aldi. Now I need to get it all unloaded and put away. Coffee first. Snow is coming and the temp is dropping. Got some straw put to one of the turkey runs to keep it dryer, and the rabbit cages all cleaned out. School was calling, granddaughter was MIA. But I think she's back now. Child services texting another meeting. I'm not going. I don't see the point. Husband disagrees, but oh well. Not saying what it's about or who is going to be there does not sit well with me.
The whole thing must just be so frustrating! How many days until they are gone?

Today turned into a shopping run day, and boy, did the time fly, lol... but I went to the library first to drop off some books I've already read, then I went to Safeway and Walmart. I like taking my time when shopping, just to compare all the prices and get the best deals, so I reckon that's where the time went, lol. But my fridge is LOADED now, and I bought a primo Angus roast at Safeway, along with some more steaks (still on sale, lol). However, I had a burly steak, egg & cheese sandwich earlier today, on toasted Italian bread with mayo, grilled pepper & onion (from my BBQ on Super Bowl Sunday), and some seasoning on the eggs, so I won't bother cooking the roast tonight, I'm still too full, aye? But I'll cook it manana, and save the steaks for the race this weekend... I gotta call those hands I met down at Red Sands and find out when their 250cc class will be starting, dunno if it's on Saturday or Sunday, maybe both days? I'm looking forward to the race, and the weather forecast is looking pretty good, no rain or snow on the weekend. I will certainly take pics of the starts and finishes in some classes, maybe those guys who are racing will have some sort of schedule for the starts. I'll have to check the web too, maybe there's some fresh info posted there for the 'TARANTULA 100' desert race... 🤔

P.S. I broke down and bought a good-looking German Chocolate cake with plenty of frosting & chocolate trim, lol... might gain a few pounds eating it, but it looked too good to pass up, yeah? That bakery in Safeway does a pretty good job of turning out products, I have no complaints, lol. Maybe I should take a pic of the cake... 😁

IMG_7634.JPG

IMG_7635.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

I wouldn't normally splurge on these "fat pills" (cake & Jalapeno cornbread), but meh, this is like the last gasp of the holidays... by the time St. Patrick's Day rolls around, I'll already be doing some serious home rehab work, lol. Those steaks aren't NY Strips either, those were all sold out, but they're top sirloins, they looked pretty good, and the price was right, so "FUHGEDDABOUTIT!!!" I can splurge now & then if I wanna splurge, lol. That cornbread will go well with a nice breakfast manana, I bought some real Vermont maple syrup to put on it, 10-4? 😀
I'm gonna have a 'HAPPY TUMMY' in days ahead... gotta love those winter feasts, lol. :dancing:

Today? Getting our internet fixed after being down for 2 days.gaah
GayT&T has been great for 3 years, but is beginning to suck lately.
First young guy said it was a problem up the road and he couldn't fix it, sorry:(.
The next guy worked on the stuff up the road, until 7:30 pm. Success!:thumbs:
...He is 65-years old🙂.
They will miss us when we are all gone.:mad:
After I asked his age, I told him: "If you need to get something done, send the old guy who will actually get it done:D".

On a personal note, went for the second checkup today after having cataract surgery on my left eye, and set up my appointment on 2-28 to have the right one done.
The left one is now 18-years old again!:woo hoo:
(The bad news is, my brain now hates my right one and keeps me trying to wipe the 'sludge' out of it:mad:).

Hey, Weedy...116 more days. I put the count in the bedroom. I guess photos were taken of my count that was on the fridge and sent around to show what a horrible person I am. I guess she went to school. They didn't come home after school. Still not home and he works from 4 to 6 (if he worked), and she works 4 to 8. They'll probably come in after we go to bed.
Neighbor came by and surprised us with meatballs for supper, and peanut butter cookies for dessert. Both were yummy. Little Brenda was with her mom, carrying the cookies up the walk. She's a crack up. She looked like she was doing well today. They were also bringing some cookies to the new widow and visiting her. I'll be bringing them in to the bigger town to the docs tomorrow afternoon, if we don't get alot of snow. Her and her little brother will be getting checkups. Took out eggs and brussel sprouts from the freeze dryer, put in cooked pumpkin that I cooked the day before. Little granddaughter dissected a frog today. A cousin of hers was her science partner. They said they just pretended it was rubber so they wouldn't get so grossed out. She's seen me butchering enough, that I wouldn't think it would bother her.

Supervisor, that sounds very frustrating. I'm glad things went well for your left eye and hope it goes well for your right eye.

Amish Heart, hopefully some day the grandkids will be able to appreciate you. I think right now they just don't get it.

I took a nap and woke up coughing. Just took more Mucinex and am sitting up coughing more. I don't actually feel all that bad at least. Just tired. It's cooling off a little so I'm more comfortable.

My kid had an early out from school yesterday and got to my place at quarter til 3. Unfortunately I was exhausted from my all night flying adventure across America, and I couldn't stay awake. I crashed at 3:30 and slept til 10:30. She must have woke me up when she went to bed. Then I was up for a couple hours and went back to sleep til 4:30am. Now I'm up and hopefully ready for a good day. We'll see what happens. I'm gonna shower and shave here in a minute, and it's looking like a "coffee shop and go to the gym" kind of day...

Meadow the starving cat went off at 4:30 am. it's pouring rain, my head hurts. I think curling into a small ball under a blanket is in order today, but we will see.

It's Breakfast: One bourbon, one Scotch, one beer and an egg on a waffle.

Last edited:
Busy this week with lambs, we are up to 6 now. One had hers a few nights ago, she went into labor right as we were putting them in the barn for the night. It took a long time, and I kept seeing just the nose of one sticking out, I ended up having to pull it out since the legs were back. I have done this before with some goats but usually not the sheep. She delivered the other 2 on her own, 2 boys , 1 girl all ok. We stayed up very late to make sure the babies were dry and got to nurse. I think the ewe does not have enough milk for all of them, she kept pushing them away yesterday so I tried feeding them milk replacers but they didn't want it. So we will have to see today if she is feeding all of them or not.

Weather has been nice for a few days, warm for February but I am not complaining

Finished the taxes, we lost money last year...oh well. We did really well selling but I guess inflation ate up the profits. We spent almost $1000 on fuel alone. Before it was around $500, so it has doubled. And in reality it is even more this doesn't include son's driving to school and back, and the times we got gas and didn't get a receipt. Hay went up, feed went up.

Hey, Weedy...116 more days. I put the count in the bedroom. I guess photos were taken of my count that was on the fridge and sent around to show what a horrible person I am. I guess she went to school. They didn't come home after school. Still not home and he works from 4 to 6 (if he worked), and she works 4 to 8. They'll probably come in after we go to bed.
Neighbor came by and surprised us with meatballs for supper, and peanut butter cookies for dessert. Both were yummy. Little Brenda was with her mom, carrying the cookies up the walk. She's a crack up. She looked like she was doing well today. They were also bringing some cookies to the new widow and visiting her. I'll be bringing them in to the bigger town to the docs tomorrow afternoon, if we don't get alot of snow. Her and her little brother will be getting checkups. Took out eggs and brussel sprouts from the freeze dryer, put in cooked pumpkin that I cooked the day before. Little granddaughter dissected a frog today. A cousin of hers was her science partner. They said they just pretended it was rubber so they wouldn't get so grossed out. She's seen me butchering enough, that I wouldn't think it would bother her.
Glad Brenda looks better! I think it's GOOD for the twins to see the countdown, they need to be ready when that day comes!!

Meadow the starving cat went off at 4:30 am. it's pouring rain, my head hurts. I think curling into a small ball under a blanket is in order today, but we will see.

It's Breakfast: One bourbon, one Scotch, one beer and an egg on a waffle.

I know it is just me, but everything I see seems to trigger a joke. Soooo:

A father is taking his son out to get his first drink. They walk down to the neighborhood tavern, then the father tells the story.

" I ordered two bourbons. My son didn't like it so I drank his. Next I ordered two scotches. My son didn't like it so I drank his. Next I ordered two Budweisers. My son didn't like it so I drank his. By the time we finished drinking all the beers, I could barely push his stroller home."

WOW!!! Are you going to eat all that all by yourself?? I think if I did that I would never want to eat cake again lol

It'll take me a week to do it, lol... but I started with a big ol' slice of cake last night, more like a large square with some ice cream on top. That was my dinner, since I was still a bit full from the steak, egg & cheese sandwich I had for brunch. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm nursing a slight hangover, those tequila shots will do it... but boy, are they sure tasty! I don't even look at Cuervo Gold or the 1800 stuff anymore, the Blue Agave Silver Tequila is the bomb! So smooth... but still tequila, lol. :oops:

Wait, Morgan101, aren't you going golfing in that slop? REAL golfers tee off in all sorts of weather, like those Scottish duffers who started it all... those crazy fools must be gluttons for punishment (and lightning strikes, lol). 😒

Moi, I'm gonna give myself a haircut once I'm back to normal, lol... I wanna be lookin' strack for the high desert race this weekend! Never know when I might meet the gal of my dreams, some hottie with a tricked-out MX bike, lol... 😍

Looks like the bad weather might have moved on, which is good... that cold windy cr@p was getting old, lol. At least we got a little rain out of it, but I'll have to water the trees & plants today or tomorrow, I'll check the soil later... 🤔

Okay, I'm off to share quality time with the cats, those blasted varmints have been going off this morning, chasing each other back & forth... krazy kats! But they're healthy & happy, and that's what counts here at the ol' hacienda... 😎

Wait, Morgan101, aren't you going golfing in that slop? REAL golfers tee off in all sorts of weather, like those Scottish duffers who started it all... those crazy fools must be gluttons for punishment (and lightning strikes, lol).

Not today. We played yesterday. It was sunny and temps were in the 60's. I agree with you about the Scottish. Hard to imagine how you could invent an outdoor game in such inhospitable weather. But consider the source. So the story goes, Scotch was actually invented in Ireland where they used it as a linament for sheep. When they got into a conflict and brought it to Scotland the Scots drank it. There must be a very misplaced sense of humor in there somewhere.

Latest posts

Back