What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some icles hanging off the sprocket n chains that are apart of my outfield rolls. These rolls deliver stacked lumber off my machine to outside so it can be picked up n put in the kilns. I thought it looked kinda cool and showed a glimpse of how much ice is over everything. You can see icles over the chains, frame sprokets..the chain was solid ice. Over the walkway ...everywhere. the other pic is the side of the building where it got super hot.
The back of my machine is to the very right of the pic. The roof beams are distorted too..that's going to be a big fix. The actual headrig is about 20 away from this wall. That bay door is level with the rig and below it was where alot of electrical panels, hydraulic tanks , and motors. were. This and another hopper to deal with scrap wood peices n the conveyor system to the chipper n all the other stuff I mentioned was/is below it.
They didnt want folks around any of that area for safety reasons and the fire marshal n insurance need it left undisturbed still..so for now this is all I could really take.
Still pretty wild..what a crappy happening.
They were hoping to have power restored to my machine today and the sorting bins so I can stack out what's in there today but..that hasent happened, so I'm home again.
I didnt really think it would..this week up there nighttime temp are low teens or single digits. The electricians were opening up my panels to air hose them out n brainstorming a plan to dry them out n heat them up. I figured it might take awhile
Anyways..lots of issues ..uggh..
I guess today I will walk to dogs , watch some of my video classes I'm taking and maybe build a cozy fire..it is cold..sunny, clear n really really cold.

Attachments

• 20230214_094503.jpg
    20230214_094503.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230214_101712.jpg
    20230214_101712.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Working~ today is my Friday. I've been taking the 16 hr. course to get our business license in OR. I've been calling it the Brandon IQ Test :rolleyes: It has a chapter on how to name your business, a chapter on bookkeeping- did you know income is when money comes in and expenses are things that cost money and if your income isn't more than your expenses you could go out of business? I am not making this up. Worse yet, it has to be done every year! 😵‍💫 It is painful! I have one more chapter so am hoping to finish today. There is only so much I can do and remain awake - for reals, no joke, it puts me to sleep.

I went up to the coffee shop this morning. While there, the lady running the shop asked me to do her a favor and haul two big trash bags out to the dumpster for her. She's elderly, so I said "Sure, no problem" and carried them out. It was snowing heavily, very large fluffy flakes, and the snow was two inches deep. I took two steps out the door and my feet went right out from under me! I fell on my back and cracked the back of my head on a solid sheet of ice under that snow. There's a pretty good knot back there and I'm still not feeling quite right, although it's better now than it was right after it happened. I'm debating going to get it checked out. I have mild pain behind my eyes and my neck is sore like I twisted it. My kid is here now and we'll monitor the situation and go to the nearest hospital if necessary.

Spent Valentines Day in the ER with another bleeding ulcer waiting on a room to open up for admission.
In the room 3:00 AM yesterday, by 11:30 I had a scope down my throat. They cauterized the ulcer and thought they had stooped the bleeding, however today my hemoglobin levels are still dropping.
I’ve been administered IV iron several times to try to build my hg back up. And IV drugs to slow down stomach acid production.
I’m being held another night, they are considering giving me blood.

The last time was in 2019 and it was a big one. I almost bled to death before I allowed my wife to bring me to the ER.
That one was three days in the hospital, four units of blood, IV lines in both arms, bags of iron and other stuff.

I went up to the coffee shop this morning. While there, the lady running the shop asked me to do her a favor and haul two big trash bags out to the dumpster for her. She's elderly, so I said "Sure, no problem" and carried them out. It was snowing heavily, very large fluffy flakes, and the snow was two inches deep. I took two steps out the door and my feet went right out from under me! I fell on my back and cracked the back of my head on a solid sheet of ice under that snow. There's a pretty good knot back there and I'm still not feeling quite right, although it's better now than it was right after it happened. I'm debating going to get it checked out. I have mild pain behind my eyes and my neck is sore like I twisted it. My kid is here now and we'll monitor the situation and go to the nearest hospital if necessary.
Please go get checked out. (Yes, I know I have no right to tell you what to do, but. . . .)

@rice paddy daddy Wow! Get yourself better soon~

Please go get checked out. (Yes, I know I have no right to tell you what to do, but. . . .)

@rice paddy daddy Wow! Get yourself better soon~
I don't have any of the classic concussion symptoms other than a mild headache right now. My pupils seem to be normal, my speech is normal, and I'm not any more confused than normal. If I don't feel good about the situation by bedtime, I'll either have my kid take me to the ER or I'll call an ambulance. The weather is pretty bad and the roads are slick so I'd rather not have my kid driving in this stuff...

Sonya, I'm glad the lambs survived the birth and hope you can find a way to get them to eat and stay nourished.

Spike, I hope you're icing the bump and making sure you don't fall asleep just yet.

ricepaddydaddy, I hope they get the ulcers completely gone and that you get back to feeling better soon.

I decided to go for a walk. I thought it was morning, but when I checked the clock I realized it was afternoon, but the sky looked like morning. It was nice and cool but not too cold. I didn't get hot while walking and didn't feel cold. I wish it was this temperature year round. I walked for about 20min before the cow came over and wanted attention. I petted her and went inside. Took some measurements in my bathroom, swept the hallway, took trash out (my brother actually helped) and brought some water bottles to mom's room for her. I was going to clean litterboxes but got a little dizzy went I bent down so I'm resting. If I push too much I'll crash the next few days.

Other than that, I've been talking with my friend about getting the shower fixed up in my bathroom.

It was such a cold and windy day today...20's and windy. Animal chores were not fun. Took my neighbor bin shopping, and then picked up a piece husband needed for his bipap machine, and then to the pediatricians for her two kids. Baby has an ear infection. Little Brenda was told to continue on the nebulizer, but they'll be adding a steriod to it. And a referral to a pediatric pulmonologist in Wichita. About time, her mom says. So getting evening chores wrapped up, and husband and I are going out for a nice dinner. Little granddaughter will be at the neighbors.

I know it is just me, but everything I see seems to trigger a joke. Soooo:

A father is taking his son out to get his first drink. They walk down to the neighborhood tavern, then the father tells the story.

" I ordered two bourbons. My son didn't like it so I drank his. Next I ordered two scotches. My son didn't like it so I drank his. Next I ordered two Budweisers. My son didn't like it so I drank his. By the time we finished drinking all the beers, I could barely push his stroller home."
Sounds like George Thurogood and his kid. One bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

Prayers going up for both RPD and Spike. You guys get well soon

No good deed goes unpunished. I would lean towards getting it checked.

I washed some dishes and cooked for mom. sat and watched tv with her for a bit. I'm back to lying down again.

Spike, how are you holding up?
I'm surviving. My head feels better, but my neck is really stiff. I took a little nap and that really seemed to help. My daughter said I must have been dreaming really hard because my eyes were really moving in my sleep.

I've still got a pretty good knot on the back of my head and I don't feel quite right, but I feel much better than I did earlier...

Gotta watch those slick icy falls, Spikedriver... they're so sudden that they catch ya by surprise, and the landings can cause injuries for the dumbest reasons. Kinda like that foot injury I had to start the New Year, lol... at least that has healed nicely and is no longer a problem. Slips and falls in the shower or tub are the same way, they happen so fast that they take ya by surprise and serious injuries can occur... :(

Anyway, I put the roast in the oven, I'm not using my NuWave Infrared Oven tonight, I'm feeling too lazy to clean it afterward, lol... but this new range I bought awhile back works pretty well also, and I'll keep an eye on the roast to make sure it's not overdone. I like my roasts rare in the middle, or close to rare... not raw, but nice and pink, lol. I had a tequila shot with salt & lime to whet my appetite, now I'm having a cold beer after covering the fruit trees... brrrrr!!! 🥶

I'll be glad when these subfreezing nights go away (mid-teens tonight), they might be warm for those hands in Alaska but they're downright chilly for this neck o' the woods... er, I mean high desert. At least my last gas bill (for heating) was only $116, the one before it was $118 so it went down a tad. Dunno how high the next one will be, seems like I've been running the furnace quite often lately in this cold weather. Meh, spring is around the corner... 🙄

Not sure what I'm gonna do later tonight, probably watch a movie or read a book... I was LMAO last night watching some pretty funny flicks on the 65" curved screen, I sure like that Samsung 6 Series Smart TV, even though I don't really use the "smart" functions so much. Some younger hand would undoubtedly have it all rigged up with video gaming consoles and whatnot, but I can't be bothered with all of that... it's a generational thing, lol. 😒

Supe, I read your post in another thread about drinking beer every day, and I'm enjoying the heck out of a cold beer this very moment, lol... I drank a river of beer in my time, but I never get tired of it, aye? Well, there are rare days when I have no beer whatsoever, but usually my fridge is pretty well stocked in the beverage department, let alone the bottles of booze on the bar, lol. That tequila shot I took a few minutes ago really hit the spot after being outside in the cold, 10-4? ;)

I'm heading to the city to meet my sister and go to a gig- there will be, bad singing, better pizza and good ol' Catholic guilt (it stays with you though I'm not religious) because I have so much to do here!
Enjoy your weekend folks! Stay well

Friday and Saturday are my days off until we get the new people up to speed where they can work alone with the pharmacist on Sundays. Still trying to get used to this.

today I need to hang two new blinds in one of the apartments before the new tenants move in. They’re not actually new tenants, they currently rent one of the other apartments but are moving into the big one that shares the backyard with me. This couple moving in there makes me incredibly happy. Young man has actually lived in our building before and even brought his brother to us when one of the apartments was empty. Their mom did a fantastic job raising those men.

It’s rainy drizzly today. I do need to transplant my broccoli into bigger pots. I’m gonna see about getting my tomatoes and peppers started. Maybe bake some banana bread. And definitely doing a little more decluttering.

We got a little over 5.5" rain yesterday and last night. Now it's chilly.
Ended up making double recipes of molasses bran muffins and jalapeno cheddar cornbread, yesterday. I was restless and that is when I bake. I will freeze half of both items today.
Not sure if I will walk or do video today as winds are about 15-20 mph and the high will be 47.
Will go to lunch with a friend.
Pick up graphite at hardware store.
Get a blower motor resistor put on my car so I have defrost again.
Otherwise, just try to stay warm.

Knocking out household chores today, including dishes & laundry... don't wanna bother with laundry this weekend while the racing action is going down at Red Sands OHV Area, lol. I'm looking forward to the first race tomorrow, I haven't found a schedule of starts yet, but I'm gonna search for one today. I hope to meet some other trail riders at the race, folks who like riding in the mountains, and I also wanna ask around to see if anybody would be interested in swapping a lighter thumper for my KLR 650. I've had heaps of fun on this KLR, but I'd like something a bit lighter and more nimble on the trails... a 400cc or 450cc bike, maybe even a 500cc or 600cc bike which would still be lighter and nimbler than this KLR. The KLR is a tank, no doubt about it... if I had a lighter bike, I could enter the '60 and older' class of the race and maybe even win, lol, since I like hauling @$$ down trails, but those deep sandy sections would be difficult with the KLR. No fun... as that deep sand is the nemesis of this bike, lol. Anyway, it should be a fun time at the races this weekend, even for spectators, and I reckon there will be some classic characters in attendance... :cool:

One bad thing about country life, the closest ER is an hour’s drive away.
They didn’t let me go yesterday, instead gave me two units of blood.
That started about 11:00 PM and took four hours. Unfortunately, the “good” IV was leaking so they resorted to the back up in the crook of my other arm.
I had to stay awake because if I bent the arm very much it would cut the flow.
I’m very tired today.
They got a baseline hemoglobin level this morning, at 3:00 PM they’ll draw some more and check hg level to see if the bleeding has finally stopped. If so, I can go home. If not………..
I don’t know.

But, I am truly Blessed by the Lord to be here with just a stomach ulcer. So many Vietnam vets are dead from Agent Orange, including friends I served directly alongside.
I am blessed.

One bad thing about country life, the closest ER is an hour’s drive away.
They didn’t let me go yesterday, instead gave me two units of blood.
That started about 11:00 PM and took four hours. Unfortunately, the “good” IV was leaking so they resorted to the back up in the crook of my other arm.
I had to stay awake because if I bent the arm very much it would cut the flow.
I’m very tired today.
They got a baseline hemoglobin level this morning, at 3:00 PM they’ll draw some more and check hg level to see if the bleeding has finally stopped. If so, I can go home. If not………..
I don’t know.

But, I am truly Blessed by the Lord to be here with just a stomach ulcer. So many Vietnam vets are dead from Agent Orange, including friends I served directly alongside.
I am blessed.
You hang in there! Be as stubborn as you need to to get better! Prayers & blessings to ya 🙏

Anyone seen @Spikedriver this morning?

@Spikedriver hope you get to feeling better. I'm sure you know what to look for, but I would be more concerned about a traumatic head bleed then a concussion with the mechanism of how you fell. You should definitely get checked out if you have increasing weakness on one side or the other, nausea, vomiting, increased headache, lethargy/excessive sleepiness (I feel like I'm forgetting something).

@rice paddy daddy hope they get you stabilized so you can go home safely.

@LadyLocust OR is the worst. I'm in the middle of getting my OR license as we are starting an ICU program in Eugene. The hoops I have to jump through is insane. I can't understand why they can't just give me a license as I already hold one in WA and MT. Does not make sense, OR is whack! I had to get re-fingerprinted yesterday.

Today I am going to go to OTF. Then I have a therapy session for 2 hours. Then I head into work for journal club, we are researching pulmonary embolism treatment after TNK administration and if mechanical thrombectomy should be performed. Basically high risk due to systemic blood thinner, then you manipulate catheters up into the pulmonary veins/arteries to remove clots you can cause massive bleeding that can't be stopped. Fascinating stuff gaah

I just talked to the local walk-in clinic, and they advised me to go to the ER. They said they can't order any scans from their facility and a brain bleed needs to be ruled out so I'm going to get cleaned up and head over in a little bit.
Good!

Latest posts

Back