What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a few little things done this morning. Exhausted afterwards... I had to go to town and get a few things around supper so I ate crappy ffood. But! I think I've figured out wallys supply chain problem, saw this when I arrived... :rolleyes:

20230531_185740sm.jpg

I'm a bit surprised the Yukon is crapping out with 140K on it, usually you can get those up around 200K before they go bad. But I'm not surprised about your son's Durango. I will never, ever own another Chrysler made vehicle, including Ram and Jeep. I've only ever seen one, in my whole life, that wasn't garbage. My '96 Ram was 8 years old with 102K on it, and the entire interior fell apart. All the latches and handles were breaking, the radio quit working, the steering wheel controls only worked half the time, the interior door panels fell off, and the freaking rear view mirror fell right the hell off the windshield. What a piece of crap that thing was. It looked good, but everything else about it sucked...
Dad’s Yukon went 210,000+ before giving up the ghost. I forget hat caused it but I remember it was cost prohibitive.

Went to a wake this evening. The friend I had asked for prayers a few months back passed this weekend from pancreatic cancer. He went to school with my brother and i went to school with his wife. It was like a high school reunion there. Sad evening but a recognition of a well lived life.

Filled up a cart at Aldi. Was reading labels on the Aldi brand Great Grains Spanish Rice. It says it has bioengineered food product in it. So does the tomato soup. Geesh. Stopped in at Tractor for a couple bags of game bird feed till I have time to check out the new Atwoods that just opened. I always peek at the chicks, even though I don't need them, and they were out, but they had a tub of turkey babies, mixed Heritage breeds that they were trying to get rid of. So bargain day...$5 a piece. I brought home 10.

Today was a wonderful day as we traveled back to my hometown to attend my niece's graduation ceremony. She received her BS degree in Biology, and we couldn't be prouder of her accomplishments. However, I was surprised to find that most of the businesses were closed. Luckily, my friend Bobby was kind enough to feed the animals for me while we were out. We arrived back home around 5:00, feeling fulfilled from the day's events. Tomorrow, it's back to the usual routine of taking care of the farm. I'm excited to start my next project, which is putting a new roof on the barn. It will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!
Congratulations to your niece, that is GREAT!!

Today is Ohio Alleycat Resource, return a TNR feral to their colony. Then to the local greenhouse, they are closing out their annual flats for 1/2 price. Supposed be almost summery this afternoon, so plant the annuals and water the fig tree and veggies.

I'm a bit surprised the Yukon is crapping out with 140K on it, usually you can get those up around 200K before they go bad. But I'm not surprised about your son's Durango. I will never, ever own another Chrysler made vehicle, including Ram and Jeep. I've only ever seen one, in my whole life, that wasn't garbage. My '96 Ram was 8 years old with 102K on it, and the entire interior fell apart. All the latches and handles were breaking, the radio quit working, the steering wheel controls only worked half the time, the interior door panels fell off, and the freaking rear view mirror fell right the hell off the windshield. What a piece of crap that thing was. It looked good, but everything else about it sucked...
That's funny about the Ram....ours is doing the same thing ( it's a 2008)! Even the handle you can pull yourself up on into the truck broke off. But so far no engine problems thankfully. The brake lines rusted, that's the current problem. Probably not Dodges fault but the truck sat outside until this year when we made some roof space.
The Yukon has been ok until lately except when I had it for a few years the steering broke and cost a lot of replace. I have never had that happen in any vehicle before.
Last year I had to replace all the brake parts except the lines on it, plus various hoses, plus a valve cover with pcv valve built in. I have also had a lot of the suspension parts replaced that failed inspection.

Today was a wonderful day as we traveled back to my hometown to attend my niece's graduation ceremony. She received her BS degree in Biology, and we couldn't be prouder of her accomplishments. However, I was surprised to find that most of the businesses were closed. Luckily, my friend Bobby was kind enough to feed the animals for me while we were out. We arrived back home around 5:00, feeling fulfilled from the day's events. Tomorrow, it's back to the usual routine of taking care of the farm. I'm excited to start my next project, which is putting a new roof on the barn. It will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!
What type of animals do you have? We have a farm also ( goats, sheep and chickens)
Congrats on your nieces accomplishment!

We made it back from shopping too! But when we pulled into the parking lot we hard a funny noise, and we both almost freaked out " what was THAT??" . I drove it around the parking lot but it was ok, must have just ran over some can or something I didn't see.
LoL, my truck makes a lot of weird noises!!

What type of animals do you have? We have a farm also ( goats, sheep and chickens)
Congrats on your nieces accomplishment!
I have a small farm with five goats, ten chickens, and three cows. I'm thinking of raising some rabbits in the future, but I'm not planning to raise any hogs. It's a lot of work, but I love taking care of my animals.

I have a small farm with five goats, ten chickens, and three cows. I'm thinking of raising some rabbits in the future, but I'm not planning to raise any hogs. It's a lot of work, but I love taking care of my animals.
I love animals too , and we are trying to raise meat animals in a humane way because I hate the idea of factory farms
And yeah, it's a lot of work. Do you have help ( husband, or kids?) or do it by yourself? My husband helps and in the summer our son for now also or I would not be able to do this. But we have around 70 animals at the moment plus the chickens

On our farm, my wife, 17-year-old daughter, and we work together as a team. We believe in the power of collaboration and hard work to achieve our goals. It's important to us to maintain a sense of unity and respect for each other's contributions. Our farm is not just a place of work but also a place where we create memories and grow together as a family.

Going to the waterpark with my sister and her kids and our mom. Think it's been dang near 20 years since I've been to one so it'll be interesting. Kids are going to love it. Apparently in the 5 hours that I was in bed last night I managed to mess up my knee so that's gonna be great :rolleyes: hopefully it'll pop itself back right soon.

On our farm, my wife, 17-year-old daughter, and we work together as a team. We believe in the power of collaboration and hard work to achieve our goals. It's important to us to maintain a sense of unity and respect for each other's contributions. Our farm is not just a place of work but also a place where we create memories and grow together as a family.
LOL I thought you were female....sorry
What State are you in?

Yesterday I was exhausted so didn't do much but pick up a walmart order and my brother's RX. I did the curbside so I wouldn't have to wait for them to find an employee with a key to get my stuff out of a locked case.

Got up early this morning and primed some trim pieces. Then had my brother press on the wall panel in my shower while I drilled pilot holes from inside the closet for the tub spout & controls. Then I drilled the holes for controls and tub spout. I'll need a larger bit for the shower arm. The hole is just slightly too small-- although, I suppose I could wallow it out a bit and any ugly bits will be covered by the flange.

Waiting to go for a curbside pickup at Samsclub. I lacked the physical capacity to load up water cases today. Mom wants to go with me to eat at the Chinese place. My brother found out we were going there so he cleared out the back seat to make room for himself so he can come along too.

Things have been busy here on the homestead. I've been off work for 3 days and trying to help my husband make a dent in some of these things. We finally found some home plans we will build, so getting those submitted to the county.
Got planter boxes built and making the covers for them today to keep out deer/birds etc.
Footings for the root cellar have been poured and now we are putting the beams in.
Still need to build out the cover for the sawmill. It's been a beautiful few days.

I'm transferring jobs again. I caught a position on a switch construction gang 52 miles from home. That gang is supposed to stay in the same place for a while. I'll be able to go home most nights, and I know the leadership over there. I worked for them last summer and fall. Hopefully my seniority will hold the position for a while. I can't wait to be able to sleep in my own bed all the time...

Nothing yet, looks like rain. I'll probably watch the rest of Monty Python.
Anybody ever see the life of Bryan? Unlike what the preachers say (Who obviously never saw it!) it is NOT a mockery of Christ, but a mockery of the human condition. You see Jesus for thirty seconds giving the sermon
on the mount, then the focus goes totally to the idiots in the crowd!

It says it has bioengineered food product in it. So does the tomato soup. Geesh.

Chock full o' gubmint nanochips, lol... :oops:

Easy day here, gonna keep decorating the bathrooms, then BBQ some burgers, brisket & Hatch Chile sausages this afternoon... gonna grill corn in the husk first, I like it that way, lol. 😀

Not all of the decorating will be in the bathrooms: as I unpack these moving boxes, I'm finding things which go up in other parts of my home. For example, here's a lake shot I like, along with pics of me dear departed mum and her final resting place, which is the Old Mission San Luis Rey. That shot of me beloved mum was taken in 1949! 😲

IMG_9513.JPG

IMG_9502.JPG

IMG_9503.JPG

I posted the pics of me mum and the mission (calendar page) on the door to the pantry closet in the kitchen, that's a good spot for 'em because I'll see 'em all the time, aye? Me mum can watch over me as I make delicious food, same way I used to look after her in her declining years and make really good nutritious food for her to eat. 😁

That lake looks like it's in Canada... does anybody here know the name of that peak? It's very distinctive, perhaps someone here will recognize it. There's probably some heller climbing on that massive peak, but of course weather would be a factor. Looks like that shot on the wood burl or slice was taken at the best time of year, lol. 😎

P.S. Had to take that wood burl shot at a weird angle to avoid window glare, it's actually not that close to the trim strip, lol... that wood burl or slice is nearly 1-1/2" thick! I bought that thing at a garage sale in Coronado for 50 cents, lol... maybe it was a dollar, all I remember is that it was ridiculously cheap despite the wear & tear. ;)

Last edited:
Things have been busy here on the homestead. I've been off work for 3 days and trying to help my husband make a dent in some of these things. We finally found some home plans we will build, so getting those submitted to the county.
Got planter boxes built and making the covers for them today to keep out deer/birds etc.
Footings for the root cellar have been poured and now we are putting the beams in.
Still need to build out the cover for the sawmill. It's been a beautiful few days.
HOW EXCITING!! Glad y'all found home plans!!! Also glad you have some nice weather to get things done!! Just think......one day you two will be sitting on your porch reflecting back on the days before the house was built! ♥️😃

We have had more than our share of vehicle problems lately! It's pot luck if my truck will start, and with 450,000+ miles on its a gamble to get to town! I always park where the wrecker can get it easily! I have to drive it today!!😮
I think we have 7 rigs and 4 happen to have issues all at the same time :rolleyes: We have spent a ton on rigs over the past year which has been my effort to get things "well." Maybe one of Jupiter's moons crossed paths with mercury or something but I hear ya! Hubby's pickup is all electronic so that's a PITA we don't know how to deal with. The others will hopefully be less severe.
It's the first & my Friday. Short weeks are the longest. I came in Tues. and got to it so now, I'm just about caught up. Looking forward to a day home tomorrow. I have tons to do from being gone.
LoL, my truck makes a lot of weird noises!!
Maybe the ghost just wanted to go for a drive 😂
Chock full o' gubmint nanochips, lol... :oops:

Easy day here, gonna keep decorating the bathrooms, then BBQ some burgers, brisket & Hatch Chile sausages this afternoon... gonna grill corn in the husk first, I like it that way, lol. 😀

Not all of the decorating will be in the bathrooms: as I unpack these moving boxes, I'm finding things which go up in other parts of my home. For example, here's a lake shot I like, along with pics of me dear departed mum and her final resting place, which is the Old Mission San Luis Rey. That shot of me beloved mum was taken in 1949! 😲

View attachment 109439
View attachment 109440
View attachment 109441

I posted the pics of me mum and the mission (calendar page) on the door to the pantry closet in the kitchen, that's a good spot for 'em because I'll see 'em all the time, aye? Me mum can watch over me as I make delicious food, same way I used to look after her in her declining years and make really good nutritious food for her to eat. 😁

That lake looks like it's in Canada... does anybody here know the name of that peak? It's very distinctive, perhaps someone here will recognize it. There's probably some heller climbing on that massive peak, but of course weather would be a factor. Looks like that shot on the wood burl or slice was taken at the best time of year, lol. 😎

P.S. Had to take that wood burl shot at a weird angle to avoid window glare, it's actually not that close to the trim strip, lol... that wood burl or slice is nearly 1-1/2" thick! I bought that thing at a garage sale in Coronado for 50 cents, lol... maybe it was a dollar, all I remember is that it was ridiculously cheap despite the wear & tear. ;)
The 40's had its share of hardships, but the styles and folks were sure handsome during that era. Your mum was no exception to that - beautiful gal 😊

The Life of Brian is a good one. I've always enjoyed Monty Python. Funny to think we have the term "SPAM" because of one of their skits.
Went to the Chinese place with Mom and my brother. Got Samsclub order. Dropped something off at friend's house (he wasn't home), picked up mail, and grabbed a larger drill bit from the hardware store. Well, a spade bit really. Once the trim is cut and put up I'll use it (or have my friend use it) to drill the hole for the shower arm.

Currently resting with heating pad on my back and cat on top of me. I'll probably take a nap soon.

well it turns out it IS worse

So all the brake lines in the truck need replacing and they have to make them ( to fit the truck) so it will take 2 weeks min. We need this truck to haul animals in 2 weeks . I cannot reschedule the meat processor or the auction truck. So I have been looking to rent a truck but you can't rent one to haul stuff. I guess next we will ask our Amish neighbors to see who they get to haul their trailers....
I wonder if I can pull that trailer with my Yukon, but my luck IT will break. ...

I spent most of my life as a mechanic. What they are telling you doesn't make sense. Unless there's something really unique about your brake lines we used to just buy generic steel lines then shorten and bend them to fit.

Brake lines usually rust out in places where the brake line runs through accumulated dirt/mud. The dirt gets wet then turns to mud which keeps the steel line buried in moisture and the lines rust through from the outside. I've never seen a time that all of the lines needed to be replaced.

I would get a second opinion from another shop.

I'm recovering from my second knee replacement on Friday. So far it's been fantastic. Especially compared to last year. Very little pain or swelling. Sleeping good and can almost walk normally without the walker or cane. Can't take my full weight on it yet but it will do about 30 percent. Can't get a full bend but It's much better than last year.

I'm praying it keeps on getting better.

I'm really glad that last year was my bad year. This year has almost been pleasant in comparison. It's much better to expect a bad experience and have it going good instead than to be the other way around.

Latest posts

Back