What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we got married at the court house and went out to lunch afterwards with the parents

I agree too, spending a lot of money on weddings is a waste, especially since half of them end anyways
( my daughter spent a ton on hers on top of it being in TN, since it was the only State anywhere near where things were open in 2020, but her dad paid for some of it, we didn't) We did have a good time at the wedding

If I wanted an inexpensive wedding, I would do it outdoors somewhere with some rented tents for bad weather, and just have a potluck type thing, and have friends take photos

We got married for less that $300 including the ring, church, and reception.
My Uncle was the Lions Club president and they didn't charge us anything for the reception and all the family brought food.
My Aunt bought the wedding cake.
Even if we had paid for all of it the cost would have still been less than $500.
My cousin paid $6,000 for her Wedding dress. That is stupid.
That was back when a new car cost less than $3000.

We got married for less that $300 including the ring, church, and reception.
My Uncle was the Lions Club president and they didn't charge us anything for the reception and all the family brought food.
My Aunt bought the wedding cake.
Even if we had paid for all of it the cost would have still been less than $500.
My cousin paid $6,000 for her Wedding dress. That is stupid.
That was back when a new car cost less than $3000.
The Princess paid the photographer alone $5000!

I tease her that our wedding album is the most expensive book we own. It cost more than a complete Encyclopedia Britanica.

Ben

The Princess was antsy today. She just cant handle sitting around and reading for more than a day. So she worked on organizing the shelves I assembled for her a month or so ago. She had previously had all of our preps in one room in our basement. She had previously moved all of the LTS dehydrated into another room which left flats if canned goods and all of the miscellaneous prepping items.

20231227_160928_HDR.jpg

The new shelves got all of the non-food items. She organized everything so we can easily find stuff. It also reveals where we don't have to acquire any more. Case in point...

Flashlights

20231227_143348_HDR.jpg

We have our needs covered and some available to barter. One drawer of multi-tools, Swiss Champ army knives and other knives.

Aside from helping her out I stayed out of her way. I re-potted 3 fig trees and three grape vines. It looks like I have been over watering the grape vines. The fig trees were very root bound and needed the upgrade.

Ben

The Princess was antsy today. She just cant handle sitting around and reading for more than a day. So she worked on organizing the shelves I assembled for her a month or so ago. She had previously had all of our preps in one room in our basement. She had previously moved all of the LTS dehydrated into another room which left flats if canned goods and all of the miscellaneous prepping items.

View attachment 121926

The new shelves got all of the non-food items. She organized everything so we can easily find stuff. It also reveals where we don't have to acquire any more. Case in point...

Flashlights

View attachment 121928

We have our needs covered and some available to barter. One drawer of multi-tools, Swiss Champ army knives and other knives.

Aside from helping her out I stayed out of her way. I re-potted 3 fig trees and three grape vines. It looks like I have been over watering the grape vines. The fig trees were very root bound and needed the upgrade.

Ben
Getting organized is good.
We use the "pile for everything and everything in a pile" system.
I hope you took the batteries out of all those flashlights.
Every year I have to clean corrosion out of battery compartments in my wife's Santa's.

Went to UPS and returned $450 worth of stuff to Amazon.
A couple were truck parts the rest Christmas presents that were duplicate or didn't fit.
I got real lucky.
I walked into the UPS store and there was only 1 guy inline ahead of me.
When I left 5 minutes later there were 12 people lined up.

When things quiet down I'll do a bit more reorganizing in the storage areas. It's not terrible, but it lets me know what to buy. Husband wanted summer sausage yesterday and we were out. He was surprised.
We went to Hobby Lobby, walked the whole store. I found some puzzles I liked for a snow day. Then to get feed. Then to crazy Walmart. Was shocked at the canning jar prices. $16.97 for a flat of quart sized. That went up. We got odds and ends husband wanted at Walmart, and there were alot of empty shelves. People were mostly buying up Christmas doo dads at 66 percent off. I have enough of that stuff. Had daughter and little granddaughter's help in unloading feed, so that was good. Time to make dinner. We're done with the leftovers.

I haven't seen canning jars at that price since 2010. I was in town today and was shocked at $26.99 for a flat of wide mouthed quarts. I may have to move to Kansas and call myself Dorothy.
We’ll call ya ClemKadoodledottie.
Sheesh @backlash what year was it you got married? I think I paid $80 for my dress; all the flowers came from our mothers’ yards; rental of the outdoor spot (2 at the same place)…maybe $75? The cake was free from a friend, my mom made non-spiked punch, yeah. Photos were free.

People getting high on vacation:
IMG_20231227_124240.jpg

Nice view of Gatlinburg from the Skybridge platform in the upper left of the photo above:
IMG_20231227_095345.jpg

The amount of traffic gridlock everywhere was mind-numbing:(.
Absolutely no shortage of people with plenty of money to spend on just having fun.
Economy doing just fine :thumbs:.

Last edited:
We’ll call ya ClemKadoodledottie.
Sheesh @backlash what year was it you got married? I think I paid $80 for my dress; all the flowers came from our mothers’ yards; rental of the outdoor spot (2 at the same place)…maybe $75? The cake was free from a friend, my mom made non-spiked punch, yeah. Photos were free.

View attachment 121931
Nice view of Gatlinburg from the Skybridge platform in the upper left of the photo above:
View attachment 121932
Absolutely no shortage of people with plenty of money to spend on just having fun.
I figured you'd make it to the BURG. The skywalk has only been open a couple years. Seems to be very popular. Used to crowds died down after 1st of the year excpet for Valentines weekend until March. Now it might slow down a little for a week or 2 after Valentines. Roads gridlocked is a common occurance up there. We typically only go up for an evening after Valentines to look at the Christmas lights.
HAVE FUN

View attachment 121931
View attachment 121932
They don't necessarily have money. People like to spend money they don't have. Some people feel obligated to do certain things that they cannot afford to do. Keeping up with the Joneses!

I like to do a New Year's meal and freeze individual meals from the big meal. Smothered steak, rice, collard greens, black-eyed peas, cornbread. Finding collard greens to buy this time of year is always a challenge. I decided to start my shopping for the meal today, to begin my hunt for collard greens. Walmart had them! I was able to get all of my ingredients for my meal today. Tenderized steaks and pork for the black-eyed peas in the freezer. Give it 3 or 4 days and there will be no collards anywhere.

I planted Brussel Sprouts in the spring and just a few days ago I saw that they were still growing in the garden. I should have planted collard greens in the spring and I could probably have harvested some from the garden before the freeze hit a couple days ago.

I figured you'd make it to the BURG. The skywalk has only been open a couple years. Seems to be very popular. Used to crowds died down after 1st of the year excpet for Valentines weekend until March. Now it might slow down a little for a week or 2 after Valentines. Roads gridlocked is a common occurance up there. We typically only go up for an evening after Valentines to look at the Christmas lights.
HAVE FUN
After Valentine’s to look at Christmas lights?
I like to do a New Year's meal and freeze individual meals from the big meal. Smothered steak, rice, collard greens, black-eyed peas, cornbread. Finding collard greens to buy this time of year is always a challenge. I decided to start my shopping for the meal today, to begin my hunt for collard greens. Walmart had them! I was able to get all of my ingredients for my meal today. Tenderized steaks and pork for the black-eyed peas in the freezer. Give it 3 or 4 days and there will be no collards anywhere.

I planted Brussel Sprouts in the spring and just a few days ago I saw that they were still growing in the garden. I should have planted collard greens in the spring and I could probably have harvested some from the garden before the freeze hit a couple days ago.
Still have collards. They aren’t as small and tender as in summer but they are still green and alive.

After Valentine’s to look at Christmas lights?

Still have collards. They aren’t as small and tender as in summer but they are still green and alive.
Yep they leave them up thru Valentines and for a week or so after. There are so many it takes a while to get them down. And it sure makes the town look very nice

Yep they leave them up thru Valentines and for a week or so after. There are so many it takes a while to get them down. And it sure makes the town look very nice
I’ve surprised myself by not having the tree out of the house yesterday. I can’t imagine having lights up until Valentine’s Day.

Will walk in a little bit.
Walmart and grocery monthly stock up today.
Nothing else on my list.

I got DH in to audiologist, yesterday. Has to have ears cleaned by ENT. Probably caused by wearing hearing aids. They will try to get a partner mic for me so I don't have to yell and further strain my vocal cords. Yay!

View attachment 121931
View attachment 121932

you can go around the gridlock if you use the sidestreets , at least some of it

been there many times , fun place

I still have collards in the garden too, despite the weeks of below freezing. They looked droopy but now they look ok again. I will make collards for New Years also

today it looks like it has finally stopped raining. Animals will all go out and we will clean. Need to do some laundry.

Got the shopping done yesterday. Walmart now has only the tiny self checkout stations open, not the regular ones for a lot of stuff. I really liked the self checkout. I hate standing in line waiting for the cashier. Then you have to tell them how you want the stuff packaged ( like cold stuff together) and then you have to watch everything they do, so they dont ring something up twice or put the wrong vegetables in. Oh well, probably too many thieves.

somehow nothing on my to do list is getting done. We do the regular stuff but no more. My kitchen cabinet is still not organized

Oh, don't feel bad. My to do list is not getting done, either. I can't get it going since the Colorado husband in the hospital trip and then Christmas. Probably not make much headway till after New Years, we'll see. Just the regular stuff. Doing animal chores earlier this morning and driving daughter the hour to the airport. Husband might come along, we'll see how he feels this morning. He's not doing much, but tv and sleeping and computer stuff. I'm really wanting a normal type schedule. The woodburner needs a clean out today, and the guest room daughter was in will need a cleaning and clean sheets on.

View attachment 121931
View attachment 121932
Hey Sup. Forgot to mention a couple of our favorite places to eat in the Burg if you go back there.
One is The Peddler, it on the west end of river road beside the river. Great steaks and a huge salad bar
The other is The Alamo. Head East on Hwy 73 toward Cosby. Just a few miles that way and much less traffic. Really good menu there as well. It was closed for a couple years after the fire went thru the area.

I will not say what I’m planning to do. I’ll let ya know later what I got done. Seems like it comes to naught if I spill the beans on my plans. 🤐🤫
There’s one thing for sure, I kept telling my boss I was working too much this week and had another day I had to have off. So I have off. 🤣
I can never get my hair cut because of my work schedule. Maybe today but most places are usually booked solid.
@Supervisor42 looks like a fun time.
@sonya123 i bet your critters are going to be frisky and get all muddy. Glad it stopped raining.
@zannej it’s always something! With us it’s the vehicles.
@backlash It was 38 years for us, before he passed.
1980. Outside. Beautiful weather. It was at an historical location.

I see there was a wedding conversation- have to go back over it, but I was married in NY 30 years ago next month. City Hall in ice and snow, the rings cost less than $100, my flowers,yellow roses in memory of my Grandmother, $35 and on the way home again we picked up a Chinese takeaway, can't remember what the licence was, but all in all less than 250, so pretty cheap all round! We did plan to have a party back here, but never got round to it; that night we met some friends for a few drinks, and a lovely stranger on holidays from Ireland bought us a round, and a bottle of champagne. He said I looked so happy. Still am!!
Today I dragged myself out of bed and lit the fire- too much laying around is not good for me, and got stuck into the kitchen. Cleaned out the fridge, made veg soup, and parsnip and apple soup for the freezer, and a turkey curry. Washed down the cupboard doors, tided up the larder, emptied little bits of things into jars and labelled (my kids will be relieved 😂 - they are tired of living dangerously lol) then I tided up under the stairs and got rid of a mountain of containers - yogurt 1 litre buckets and the like - I've been keeping. I already have a box worth, I wish some of you guys were closer, I know some of you would make use of them! But into recycling they've gone. They lads are out sweeping the yard and cleaning up, now I'm about to catch upon some Uni reading. The weather is still awful, btw. Wet and constantly windy.

The wife and I sat down and planned the freezer meals that need to be made, then she gave me permission to get a couple of "extra" 8X8" stainless steel pans, ended up ordering some 6X6" pans while I was at it. I think the 6X6" will provide 4 nice servings, so 2 meals for 2... I am in the mood to reduce the volume of leftovers we are dealing with....

Last night I cleaned out the Fridge... What a chore.
This morning I woke up with a sinus headache so I took a tablet and did the dishes to the sounds of 70s rock (softly)... I have the laundry started.

The wife isn't feeling too stable today so I will have to keep close to the house, so no hunting for today. BP season ends on Saturday, it may turn into a full year bust....

We now have a grocery list, I may run errands this afternoon... if the wife takes a nap...

Latest posts

Back